• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Community Approved Resources?

Would this be helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No, bad idea

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, but...

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To help moderate the resource section, it could be a good idea to enable the community to rate resources.

There would obviously need to be a few restrictions:
  • Moderator rating always overrules community rating
  • Only members with a minimum reputation and/or a minimum amount of approved resources in the relevant section can moderate resources
  • Community rating is only applied/visible after a certain amount of time (e.g. 3 months) without a moderator rating
  • A minimum of ratings is needed, and a minimum difference between the most chosen rating and the second most chosen rating (e.g. minimum 5 votes, and minimum difference of 3 - so let's say 5 votes for Approved is enough but only if there are no more than 2 votes for Substandard)
  • There should probably be a visible difference (slightly different icon), and a search filter

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
While the idea is beautiful, it doesn't seem to work. Most people who think something should be approved don't have the technical skill to determine it. I am thinking of models right now in particular. There are so many things that can be wrong with a model while it might still look good.

I much prefer what we do now, by letting pending things stay visible instead of hiding them until they're approved.

To be honest, all sections have too many people who think they can verdict resources but actually lacks the capacity to it. Icons, for example, is not just because it looks beautiful to be approved. Models can have so many issues like polygons and bones. Maps are not just 'because the gameplay is fun'. Tools need to have virus checks, stability and so on. Spells ain't about being cool and 'cause it works', but also a proper code check which many users don't understand.

So yeah, I don't think this is very viable at the moment. Community rating can also be rigged more easily by having people vote positively for the resources (a certain case comes to my mind).

EDIT:
However, users can become pseudo-reviewers (this mostly happens in the Map section) to help the moderator's workload.

While the idea is beautiful, it doesn't seem to work. Most people who think something should be approved don't have the technical skill to determine it. I am thinking of models right now in particular. There are so many things that can be wrong with a model while it might still look good.

I much prefer what we do now, by letting pending things stay visible instead of hiding them until they're approved.
The restrictions I listed are meant to prevent people who lack the technical skill from rating resources. Usually people with a number of approved models (for example) know what it takes to approve a model. But I understand that it might not be enough to be sure.
By "visible" I meant the rating itself, not the actual resource. So the community ratings wouldn't show to regular members unless the requirements are met. Only official moderators could rate a resource "restricted" maybe.

However, users can become pseudo-reviewers (this mostly happens in the Map section) to help the moderator's workload.
That's kinda what I was trying to say I think. When a user has e.g. 1000 reputation and 5 approved models, they can moderate models. Even then official moderators' reviews/ratings still overrule theirs.

Basically what you need/want is more reviewers.
Yeah, pretty much xD This idea would basically semi-automate giving users review privilege.

Anyway, I understand why it might not work. It opens the door to abuse and poor moderation, even with a bunch of restrictions/requirements. So it could actually end up increasing moderators' workload.

Something like StackOverflow is a good example of something like this, but of course that's a completely different type of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.