• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jass Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey guys,

I have been noticing that Jass resources are the only resources not listed in a user's public profile. This does not make any sense to me. I realize that the Jass section is not as active as some of the other resource sections, but it deserves recognition. After all, systems (such as xe, Table, TimerUtils, and GroupUtils) can contribute much more to the community than just shiny icons. In many instances, the same system could fit in either the Spell section or the Jass section. The only difference for the poster is that he is required to have a test map and picture in the Spell section, and he will actually get a link to the resource in his public profile. Again, this does not make a whole lot of sense.

Jass resources could be easily included in a user's resources. Simply make a Jass category (like they made for Models, Icons, Maps, etc.) and put text links to each of the approved Jass threads. The underlined text would be the names of the threads. (The links would have to be textual because Jass resources have no pictures.)

Please give me feedback on my idea.

Level 40
I would personally leave tutorials separate. Well, to be honest, I would keep everything separate, and have it so that when you were at a user's resource it would link you to other ones of that type (if you loaded them). I find I often say "user X makes good content of type Y. I'll check out his other stuff of type Y", but not something like "user X makes good models. I'll check out his spells!", because the latter makes no sense.

Level 8
Just take all of the rest of the good ideas from WC3C while you're at it.
Lol. I'm not sure what to say to that. Hiveworkshop and Wc3C seem to be pretty much the same damn website anyway. I mean seriously: THW's icon is an orange and yellow H, and Wc3C's icon is an orange and yellow W. I don't see the problem with sharing good organization ideas.

As far as user resource pages go, I think we should have one main resource page per user. Each different type of resource should have a heading that you can click on. If you click on one of these headings, it should show resources of only that type by that author. For example, if I click on PurplePoot's resource page, it will show all of his resources. Then if I click on the Maps heading, it will show only the maps made by PP.
Then, we can use PP's idea. On each of the user's resource submissions, it should link to that user's resource page of that type. For example, on each of hawk900's icon submissions, it will link to his Icons resource page with text like: Click here to see more Icons by hawk900.

Linaze, I think we should include tutorials as well.

Level 14
maskedpoptart said:
Hiveworkshop and Wc3C seem to be pretty much the same damn website anyway. I mean seriously: THW's icon is an orange and yellow H, and Wc3C's icon is an orange and yellow W.
That's a good point, the Hive even stole WC3C's logo! (...)

No, but really, I don't care that when the Hive absorbed WC3S it ended up being styled identically in many regards to WC3C. I'm beyond that point right now (So should you all), since it's both inevitable and unchangeable at this point.

I, however, don't want to see WC3C's policies, organization, and display hacks every time I look at the Hive. You're all smart cookies, think of something bloody original.

Level 8
Hah, sorry Rising Dusk. I wasn't aware of who copied who. Anyway, what I just suggested in my second paragraph has nothing to do with Wc3C. If someone could give me feedback on that, maybe we can keep the ball rolling.
maskedpoptart said:
As far as user resource pages go, I think we should have one main resource page per user. Each different type of resource should have a heading that you can click on. If you click on one of these headings, it should show resources of only that type by that author. For example, if I click on PurplePoot's resource page, it will show all of his resources. Then if I click on the Maps heading, it will show only the maps made by PP.
Then, we can use PP's idea. On each of the user's resource submissions, it should link to that user's resource page of that type. For example, on each of hawk900's icon submissions, it will link to his Icons resource page with text like: Click here to see more Icons by hawk900.

Level 31
I had made a post on this ^_^
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...n-jass-submissions-and-categorization-134385/

but it was ignored ;p.

Also, I don't think things should be put up in a thread format, rather, this:
Main page-
link to discussion area and documentation area, a picture, rating, description, version information and downloads to all reqs (auto put in downloads section) as well as links to all of them and credits to all of them.

Other-
Discussion Area (like a small forum on the page)
Documentation Area (read the ebook or download it)

Make New-
Type
Documentation (use editor, required) (functions, interfaces, objects, variables, description, overview, methods, example code, and demo code forms)

Attached demo map (things that are defined should have demos whereas things that are undefined should have empty areas where demonstration code from documentation can be pasted in as they are so broad)

Owner Areas-
Documentation Editor (ebook format please with folders etc)
Update Type with auto archiving
News area

Documentation Editor-
The index should automatically be made as the description on the main page

Admin Areas-
View Submitted Things
Archived Things that were not approved

Things that were moderated by an admin (not accepted but told how to fix) and not fixed within 7 days of moderation are auto archived and removed from submitted things list.

If it's fixed, it has an unlimited timeout again and the process restarts until the admin approves it or rejects it ^_^.

Moderators of different statuses-
Moderators that look over submissions that are not ready to be approved yet and tell the people how to fix them up for approval. After they are fixed up, they are then sent on to the main moderators who will review them quickly and then normally approve of them. If not, these are usually final fixes that the lower mods might have missed. This will help keep the work down for moderators as there can be loads and loads of lower moderators that handle initial approval ^_^.

Upper moderators are the only ones who are able to fully approve/reject something.

Whenever an update is made, it will not update the actual page. It will send the specific update and the thing being updated to an updates submission area for moderators where the process can start again (a lot faster as there will be little content here ^_^, will ensure crummy versions of things aren't released ;o).

Now, a lot of these concepts can be applied to all sections, but eh : ).

That's my wishlist : P.

Level 8
Nestharus, I think you are asking for too much. While your layout may be good for other sections, a change of layout for Jass submissions would just make the Jass section even less popular since people would have to figure out the new layout. This is assuming you would want to keep the Jass section in its own little world.

I would like to keep this topic focused on the advertising of resources and the possibility of merging the Jass section with Spells/Systems.

Resource advertising: can someone please give me feedback on my idea for the user resource pages?

Merging Jass section: While merging with the Spells section would give the Jass submissions some more attention, I am not sure they fit in the same category. I almost think it would be better to pull all the systems out of the Spells section and merge them with the Jass section. Here's why: I think of Spells as code anyone can just plop into their map to give their heroes some sweet abilities. You don't even need to know how to trigger. I think of Systems as code that helps you trigger certain aspects of your map. You need to have decent knowledge of GUI and/or Jass to implement them or call their functions. I think of Jass submissions as code that helps you write Jass code, helps you make spells, or helps you make systems. Can you see why I think Jass and Systems should be together, but possibly separate from Spells?

Level 31
Also, the categories I mentioned there would move spells into libraries ; ), meaning that they would no longer be their own little special type. It would allow other defined types, maybe attacks etc? Effects? non-spell items to be able to co-exist with spells without having to be spells ^_^. Maybe an AI for a specific unit? a fully jass'd unit? Who knows, but it is more broad. I know spells are the most popular of all library items, but still.

Utilities would also separate large scale systems from sets of code : ). And frameworks would separate things like "RPG Systems" from systems as "RPG Systems" aren't really systems : ), they are RPG Frameworks.

Of course, Engine should probably be looked into as well o-o, but an engine and a system kinda sound like the same thing ; ).

Those are my 2 cents. All the cool stuff with submissions and document editor and everything would be really cool to have, but the categories are a must for me o-o. And it's not like they'd be hard to implement either ^_^.

And actually, a private submissions forum similar to the admin contact forum shouldn't be too hard either since the admin contact forum is already there, could just sorta copy it ^_-. And even the main pages wouldn't be too hard either because there are already resource pages o-o, just the editors would be hard I suppose. Leave those out I guess : D.

Status
Not open for further replies.