1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What is your preferred language for developing Warcraft III maps?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by MindWorX, May 30, 2018.

?

What is your preferred language for developing Warcraft III maps?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2018.
  1. Jass

80 vote(s)
    27.4%
  2. vJass

87 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. cJass

9 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Lua

18 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Zinc

13 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Wurst

46 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. vrJass/vrJass2

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  8. I don't program maps directly. I just use the trigger GUI.

173 vote(s)
    59.2%
  9. Other

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Re: the reason we mod -- honestly what you described is just one facet. There are a myriad of reasons why people mod; making (playable) maps is just one of them.

Re: a reason to switch -- I totes agree. This is precisely why I've stick to my "bare bones GUI + Object Editor"-style of "coding"; I almost literally need nothing else. Those tools are sufficient for my purposes.

2. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Fair enough. I see your point. Personally, I found Wurst's killer features (lambdas, clean syntax, proper inheritance, compiler optimizations, auto-null, generics, stack-traces, error handling, procedural object data generation, standard library, etc.) well worth the temporary hurdle of switching over, especially since I already abandoned my last project by the time I discovered Wurst. Ironically, the reason why I abandoned it was because I found Zinc an increasingly huge headache to deal with as my project progressed.

If you find that these features are not worth switching over, well, I can only say that you are actually missing out. You can't really tell how much nicer it feels to use Wurst compared to JASS until you actually try it. If you tried it and felt it wasn't worth the effort - okay, I get behind that. It's weird to me, but whatever, I just like my abstractions.

I would still highly recommend going through the 1-2 week transition period if you're starting a new project. If you have existing projects to support in other languages, I can get behind that.

I agree that using pre-placed objects in Wurst is somewhat clunky. Typically, you'd place all your stuff on the map inside WE, save the map, extract the JASS from it and put it in your Wurst folder, and you'd be able to access the preplaced stuff from within Wurst. Maybe there's a better workflow for it, but my map never did use preplaced objects anyway, so it's not my use case.

Also, I never implied that you aren't a 'real' programmer if you don't use Wurst. I implied the reverse - that a lot of people who came to the WC3 modding scene after other programming experience tend to gravitate towards Wurst - because it has more features that are expected of modern languages than anything else. It's a more familiar environment to someone with past programming experience than JASS or vJASS, where quite often you have to reinvent the wheel or get around other quirks.

And, yes, syntax is just noise. I just find that with Wurst you have far less noise than with JASS or vJASS or GUI. These are notoriously noisy, both in the syntax itself and the semantics of how the languages operate.

At any rate, it is not my intention to shove my opinions down anyone's throat. I'm just writing here to clear up some differences, both for those on the other side of the fence, and myself. At this point, I think we can agree to disagree. Thanks for elaborating your points.

3. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Seem like the Wrust's community only got worse since it started, and it was already pretty bad then.

4. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The poll and thread has officially been closed. Thank you all for contributing to the few hundred votes and rather passionate comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.