• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29

Status
Not open for further replies.
No!
the prefix "Blz" was added to all new natives execpt "AutomationTestStart"/End (whatever these might do).
"Blz" was also added to the GUI functions which might produces alot of problems, if this functions were used alot (unable to open a map with world editor).
if that happens one could try to extract the wtg file with an mpq editor and add this Blz prefix to the new natives then replace the wtg file inside the map again, but care saving the wtg file wrong can make it unreadable for world Editor (win 7 notepad saves it wrong, but with notepad++ I had success in doing so).​

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The scene looks a bit too unstable still. I just read on the Battlenet forums that the World Editor minimap isn't working; you can't click it to navigate. I think I will opt to keep working with patch 1.26 until things stabilize.

A warning to other Windows XP users: the following patches will not support this OS.

Level 1
No!
the prefix "Blz" was added to all new natives execpt "AutomationTestStart"/End (whatever these might do).
"Blz" was also added to the GUI functions which might produces alot of problems, if this functions were used alot (unable to open a map with world editor).
if that happens one could try to extract the wtg file with an mpq editor and add this Blz prefix to the new natives.​
That's unreal. Thanks Blizzard.

Level 25
Ok, I could open my map and had to replace the invalid mouse actions etc. but it worked. However, the widescreen support does not really work. I have still black bars on both sides of the screen (in the main menu) which might be intentionally. There is also a bug in the quest log. When I scroll down the quests they are not updated. Only when I click on a quest they are re-rendered.

Level 1
if that happens one could try to extract the wtg file with an mpq editor and add this Blz prefix to the new natives then replace the wtg file inside the map again, but care saving the wtg file wrong can make it unreadable for world Editor (win 7 notepad saves it wrong, but with notepad++ I had success in doing so).​
Just wanted to follow up on my situation and thank you for the information. I used MPQ Archives to update my map's war3map.wtg file incrementally by cross referencing the new native names in TriggerData.txt found in war3x.mpq (UI\TriggerData.txt) and using the replace all feature in Notepad++. Anyone going through this process might note that the size of your map will appear to 'bloat' with each replacement of the war3map.wtg. Once you're able to finally open the map in the World Editor and save it properly it will deflate back to its correct size.

Last edited:
Level 6
Well I was really existed to try out the new update but it looks like the option to force it to fit to my screen is no longer in. Or was it moved? Can anyone tell me because the game is just not playable crushed up like that and all I can find it away for the crushed in screen to look prettier.

Ok I want to back date. The menu is far too crushed in and when I can fumble my way into a map the gui looks like someone took a hair drier to it threw a fish eye lence. If you re add the stretch I will update again but for now I want to back date because to me the stretched look better and was easier to read and see stuff.

Last edited:
Level 1
I can't seem to continue on from the Warcraft Launcher. Once I've downloaded the patch, I can't continue from the launcher page after I've selected file location. The "Continue" button simply won't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Level 6
It was a hidden feature. You can see an example of the code here. It is something to help streamers get information without hacks.

Ah yes, I saw this in another thread and thanked you for it. Btw, I'm going to ask you a few learning questions by private message later today if you don't mind.

Anyone knows how to fix the resolution bug I have black sides on my PC

If I'm not wrong, it is intended.

Level 5
It's not a bug. They made it that way not to stretch the screen. I hate it. I liked it stretched. I hope they'll leave two options, one like now and one like before in 1.27.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762137149?page=4#post-61

I figured out it is for menus only, but then when I booted the map it looked awful. The interface isn't supporting widescreen for me, there are ugly looking blank spaces on both side of bottom part of interface, upper part looks good like this though. The biggest problem for me is that the multiboards and pop-up messages appear in their old places completly ignoring the widescreen added parts. Is it intended too or maybe any fixes?

Level 3
I found very interesting how the Widescreen mode works only in a match, while the starting screen is normal still.

What a difference, by the way! I loved it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I found very interesting how the Widescreen mode works only in a match, while the starting screen is normal still.

What a difference, by the way! I loved it.
Well I don't know...

I like this:
Patch127Wide.png

better than this:
Patch129Wide.png

That's why I'd love it if they could/would add both modes (also referring to ingame) to choose from.

Level 19
alright new update is live! when are the Mouse Detection GUI Friendly systems coming out?
because I can only do GUI and I'm too lazy to learn jass/vjass >_>
also damn blizzard so lazy they didn't add mouse detection to triggers, or did I just miss it?

EDIT:
looks like I was wrong, blizzard did add them to GUI :D

Last edited:
alright new update is live! when are the Mouse Detection GUI Friendly systems coming out?
because I can only do GUI and I'm too lazy to learn jass/vjass >_>
also damn blizzard so lazy they didn't add mouse detection to triggers, or did I just miss it?

Most of the new natives have been added to GUI. You missed it.

Level 5
I would have preferred that they left the interface as it was, it was much better stretched out than with bars on the sides.

Also, I have been whining about it before, but I'm really disappointed that the Blademaster nerf is now live. And the way they attempted to "nerf" Demon Hunter is just insulting.

Level 20
I would have preferred that they left the interface as it was, it was much better stretched out than with bars on the sides.
As someone who designed loading screens and 2D art with the original Warcraft 3 resolution in mind having them stretched made me all sorts of angry. It's not as obvious with 3D art because you can't as easily that the porportions are off, but you can with any sort of 2D where the layout was planned out as such.

Such as that comparison picture a few posts up, if you knew the dwarf wasn't supposed to be fat you wouldn't have problems with the stretched look.

Reactions: Rui

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That is because the menu art does not scale very well.
I like this:
That is wrong... The image at the back has the wrong aspect ratio. The dwarf looks fat.
better than this:
That is how it should look. Notice the dwarf has the correct aspect ratio and so looks good.
No it was not. The square buttons were not square...

I agree that the hack they used is sub optimal. They should actually expand the centre console so that minimap and command card are corner anchored. This is how StarCraft II does it.
As someone who designed loading screens and 2D art with the original Warcraft 3 resolution in mind having them stretched made me all sorts of angry. It's not as obvious with 3D art because you can't as easily that the porportions are off, but you can with any sort of 2D where the layout was planned out as such.

Such as that comparison picture a few posts up, if you knew the dwarf wasn't supposed to be fat you wouldn't have problems with the stretched look.
Exactly!
At least in the stretched image you can see more of the dwarf
No you cannot as all texels of the texture are already visible. The only difference is that extra fragments are being generated using interpolation which stretch the image out of its intended aspect ratio.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I agree that the hack they used is sub optimal. They should actually expand the centre console so that minimap and command card are corner anchored. This is how StarCraft II does it.
Exactly why I prefer the stretched version.
No you cannot
Look again at those images. When there are more players in one game, they are placed on the image/right instead of below like in the stretched and older versions.

Level 6
How can people like it stretched... Stretched is just wrong. It is like going to see the Mona Lisa but instead all you get to see is a picture of a clown drawn by a child.
Well put it like this. While it was stretched to fit it worked on 90% of peoples computers. But look at me like it is now I can't see or read anything. And if I ever get into a map the textures are so smashed up they look like someone stretched it long ways

Level 5
Whatever. My main issue with it is that I've played it stretched out for many years, and now suddenly everything is smaller, especially the minimap. It will take me a lot of time to get used to it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well put it like this. While it was stretched to fit it worked on 90% of peoples computers. But look at me like it is now I can't see or read anything. And if I ever get into a map the textures are so smashed up they look like someone stretched it long ways
Sounds like you have the video settings set wrong. Warcraft III has always defaulted to sub optimal values for those. If not then try restarting your computer as it could be a graphic driver bug.

Level 6
It's obvious they cleaned the forum but they removed the new Bot API thread (which was on hold). Maybe conveniently?

@Dr Super Good I do agree with you that widescreen is way better BUT look at that screenshot; team 2 is completely fucked up and it can confuse people...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Streched sucks, cause it displays a smaller part of the map.
I agree, however what sucks more is the UI not being fit to the corners.

Those pictures are incorrect. You only see more on the sides not on the top and down too, like here:
Stretched.jpg Wide.jpg

As of now, I still like it more stretched. Blame the thicc thread.

Last edited:
Level 26
In generality, I welcome the melee balancing changes. A lot of the buffed things were just underused like 'Mirror Image' or 'Life Drain'. 'Critical strike' is random enough without the item and buff bonus amplifier. It can still benefit from base attribute modifications.

The max execution count, well, unless the majority of it was spent on minor instructions like variable assignments, filling the 300k already meant a huge load that should only be done during initialization unless you want to have spikes. On the other hand, initialization frameworks are special enough to actively face the problem and fragment the executions. So I think this would be mostly but a convenience. It is still disastrous and a hell to debug when the frame breaks in silence.

In contrast, the extension of the array size is highly appreciated. This allows for e.g. covering a greater domain of definition to reduce the need for binary search, id reduction or switching to hashtable prematurely.

The new natives: Why are they all prefixed by "Blz" in the opening post?

Still trying to figure out who thought of designing and building performant wc3 maps incorporating 24 players.

Whoa whoa whoa, this is an official Blizzard patch?! The Frozen Throne is still playable online?! 24 player maps?!!

Have you secretly been modding warcraft in solitude?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I agree, however what sucks more is the UI not being fit to the corners.

Those pictures are incorrect. You only see more on the sides not on the top and down too, like here:
View attachment 296260 View attachment 296261

As of now, I still like it more stretched. Blame the thicc thread.
Hmm I tend to like the non-stretched version more :p. The blank areas in the UI don't bother me that much. I reckon it depends on the person's taste. For me, the stretched version is somewhat awkward. ^^

(The blank areas could be used for some expanded command card, maybe? :D)

Am I the only one who can never find a download link for new patches?
To my understanding, offline patching has been discontinued. You can only download through the game now.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The problem is that where the extended parts are, there should have been the command panels. If they can't put the minimap and order boxes to the edges, then maybe they can just stretch that part of the screen?
No because it then stretches the UI elements and the command card buttons are no longer square.

StarCraft II does it by expanding the centre console, but that needs a different UI manager. Warcraft III likely lacks the UI manager support.

Level 11
I don't see how some people preferring stretched is difficult to comprehend.

Do you balk when people express a preference for food you don't like? Some people do in fact prefer mcdonalds to fancy posh burgers, "objective" standards notwithstanding. Same here; creator intent and such are pretty irrelevant when it comes to personal taste.

Personally the black bars and original aspect ratio do not bother me. The only part that really does is the field of view; the terrain geometry looks weirdly distorted at the far edges, like everything is positioned on a small sphere.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The only part that really does is the field of view; the terrain geometry looks weirdly distorted at the far edges, like everything is positioned on a small sphere.
Welcome to how cameras in a realtime 3D environment work. One can adjust that by changing the camera field of view via triggers.

This is because our eyes have a cone of vision, and not a cube of vision.

Level 6
It must be because everything is very clear in game on mine. I can even get my GPU to force Anisotropic filtering for shaper textures and that works.

You will need to post in-game screenshots of the exact problem. Also mention your display native resolution and do not resize the screenshots.

Ok I have do not know how to tell my screen size but it is an intel i3 as for pictures

here is a before and after the update as well as my start up menu as you can see before the fix the gui fit in the corners and sides just fine and was big enough to see everything. After the update everything is mashed into the center stretched up and down and too small to see.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_030918_182836_01.tga
    4 MB · Views: 132
  • WC3ScrnShot_041318_185051_02.tga
    4 MB · Views: 115
  • WC3ScrnShot_041318_184934_01.tga
    4 MB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.