• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Because it is still wrong... It is like watching a 4:3 broadcast, like Diagnosis Murder, in 16:9. Just not right.

Sure it could be an option. But that means extra work. They could rather spend that time not programming that option and instead reworking the menu to support wide screen. StarCraft II has no problem with wide screen.
Except that Warcraft 3 isnt Starcraft 2 and wasnt made with widescreen in mind. Ingame doesnt suffer from any changes but glue screens for all menus, campaigns, ways menu ui is animated with all the chains and gears, it will either end up leaving middle of the screen empty and keep all stuff othe sides(i wonder how would that Bnet Gate work then....) And making them work on these models which is specificly deisgned to work at certain point of view and certain field of view, with lots of tricks used all around to make it look much bigger than it is. It's impossible to make them work porperly without heavily editing these models, most extreme example would be RoC's Human campaign glue, but all others also have things that are not meant to be seen thht would be uncovered by forcing actual 16:9 with increased FOV. Easiest and best solution for both blizzard and these people who dont want black bars is to add a toggle option to stretch the menues to 16:9 as it was with simple stretched 4:3 while having normal 16:9 ingame. Simple easy and solves the issues since these people always played on stretched 4:3 before anyway. Others who want proper proportions can just stick to 4:3 menues and that's it.....Reworks of all kinds are trumendous effort, far more than addint extra bezels on ingame UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 6
Why would anyone want to have option to toggle black bars on/off? They are annoying Blizzard must get rid of them soon. Thank god I have 27 inch monitor otherwise chatting on 15,6 inch laptop screen would be a disaster. It forces my face to be close to the screen(causing pain to my eyes) so I can see what others are writing If I stuck on 15,6 inch screen with annoying black bars.

Its the same with watching a movie with black bars too. I better not watch the movie instead of watching it with pathetic black bars. No doubt why most people hate these black bars

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Except that Warcraft 3 [...] wasnt made with widescreen in mind. [...]
Well if I were to nitpick, I would say that the FMVs and the 3D campaign screens were. But because in the end only 4:3 aspect ratios were supported, the 3D campaign screens have always been pan and scan versions of what they imho were always intended to be, when the game was still being developed.

TFT_undead_4_3.jpg TFT_undead_16_9.jpg

[...] Its the same with watching a movie with black bars too. I better not watch the movie instead of watching it with pathetic black bars. No doubt why most people hate these black bars
@Trakya: You probably hate the cinematics of the game, then?

:wink:

Last edited:
Level 14
Why would anyone want to have option to toggle black bars on/off? They are annoying Blizzard must get rid of them soon. Thank god I have 27 inch monitor otherwise chatting on 15,6 inch laptop screen would be a disaster. It forces my face to be close to the screen(causing pain to my eyes) so I can see what others are writing If I stuck on 15,6 inch screen with annoying black bars.

Its the same with watching a movie with black bars too. I better not watch the movie instead of watching it with pathetic black bars. No doubt why most people hate these black bars
And here you are wrong, because there are people like me who want to preserve the proportions, i hated stretched 4:3 and i never played on it. 'Option' pleases EVERYONE - your idea is forcing people like me to suffer with stretched 4:3 when i preffer current setup in 1.29 with 16:9 ingame and 4:3 menues, everything looks as it should. And again it's incredibly easy to do in comparison to grand rework of how menues operate.

Well if I were to nitpick, I would say that the FMVs and the 3D campaign screens were. But because in the end only 4:3 aspect ratios were supported, the 3D campaign screens have always been pan and scan versions of what they imho were always intended to be, when the game was still being developed.

View attachment 297308 View attachment 297309

@Trakya: You probably hate the cinematics of the game, then.

:wink:
Well it works with TFT's Arthas's glue....Human RoC glue literally ends pixels beyond the edge of the screen showing loads of one sided textures, meshes and other ugly stuff you are not meant to see. Same goes to pretty much all other gluescreen EXCEPT TFT Arthas one, and maybe belven one. All of them have artifacts, holes in models, skies dont fill in ...entiriety of the "sky" there is no details or vegetation....almost no decorations beyond inteded frames....So it's not the case for every glue, it also depends on what camera animation was used. RoC human campaign is vertical descending camera so they dont have the sides sicne you wont see them.

About pan and scan....depends some movies shot on reels were inherently 4:3....wen they get rereleased on let's say Blu-Ray it get's cropped and we loose what was on top and bottom of the screen, and it may be really bad if scenes where shot using that space of the frame to have a chacter's head there for example xD fortunetly it's really rare and mostly characters are in center of the screen

Last edited:
Level 6
I have never mentioned 4:3 strech I just said get rid of the black bars. I don't mind the screen in game, what I hate is the pathetic menu black bars

Level 11
What would you replace them with? The 3d backgrounds don't have geometry beyond the borders. I guess they could made additional art but I dunno how much artist time they have available (I doubt much, but then again, they did make the expanded UI elements).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well it works with TFT's Arthas's glue....Human RoC glue literally ends pixels beyond the edge of the screen showing loads of one sided textures, meshes and other ugly stuff you are not meant to see. Same goes to pretty much all other gluescreen EXCEPT TFT Arthas one, and maybe belven one. All of them have artifacts, holes in models, skies dont fill in ...entiriety of the "sky" there is no details or vegetation....almost no decorations beyond inteded frames....So it's not the case for every glue, it also depends on what camera animation was used. RoC human campaign is vertical descending camera so they dont have the sides sicne you wont see them. [...]
This was the best I could tweak back then, when the widescreen fix by @ENAleksey did not exist yet.

ROC_human_4_3.jpg ROC_human_16_9.jpg

Yeah, RoC Human and TFT Orc were among the hardest ones to tweak so they look half-decent, with the tools I used. This was the best I could do when I did it, the Rexxar 3D campaign screen being the ugliest atm (plus, the scenery is so poor in this one...)

TFT_orc_4_3.jpg TFT_orc_16_9.jpg

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
What would you replace them with? The 3d backgrounds don't have geometry beyond the borders. I guess they could made additional art but I dunno how much artist time they have available (I doubt much, but then again, they did make the expanded UI elements).
Don't replace them with anything, just let it be stretched like it was before, easier to read text and to see icons overall

Level 14
I have never mentioned 4:3 strech I just said get rid of the black bars. I don't mind the screen in game, what I hate is the pathetic menu black bars
I want black bars to be kept alongside streteched 4:3 for you so you dont get 'triggered by black bars'
This was the best I could tweak back then, when the widescreen fix by @ENAleksey did not exist yet.

View attachment 297313 View attachment 297314

Yeah, RoC Human and TFT Orc were among the hardest ones to tweak so they look half-decent, with the tools I used. This was the best I could do when I did it, the Rexxar 3D campaign screen being the ugliest atm (plus, the scenery is so poor in this one...)

View attachment 297315 View attachment 297316
Well you sacrifice some of the stuff visible above it's not too perfect solution but it looks ok, just that banners get cut off
And Rexxar.......result is kind of 'eh' Point of view moved too much to, moon is offscreen and well it just didnt go that well as it did with Lordy one...
Solutions like this come at cost like that tho......but i still feel like streching is best of all....it distorts the proportions a bit but everything is still placed and seen from same position ...as intended. Only real way to preserve everything from 4:3 perfectly and with intended point of view would need to be just opened up to the sides and well edited with all model artifacts there, add missing detail, fix the skies, tweak the animations on the scenery(if it has birds which also tend to do weird stuff offscreen). But result with lordearon is ok.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well you sacrifice some of the stuff visible above it's not too perfect solution but it looks ok, just that banners get cut off
And Rexxar.......result is kind of 'eh' Point of view moved too much to, moon is offscreen and well it just didnt go that well as it did with Lordy one...
Solutions like this come at cost like that tho......but i still feel like streching is best of all....it distorts the proportions a bit but everything is still placed and seen from same position ...as intended. Only real way to preserve everything from 4:3 perfectly and with intended point of view would need to be just opened up to the sides and well edited with all model artifacts there, add missing detail, fix the skies, tweak the animations on the scenery(if it has birds which also tend to do weird stuff offscreen). But result with lordearon is ok.
You can submit better values to tweak the MDL files in this thread. You may even submit values suitable for aspect ratios other than 16:9. Please bear in mind that the tools I used were semi-adequate for that task, and that I was learning from scratch the hard way all along. Based on how inexperienced I was when I did it, I would modestly say that it is a decent PoC.

For the Rexxar campaign I had to do many many concessions, notably because of the 'unfolding scroll' effect. The 'tunnel flyby' effect for RoC Undead was a lot less trouble to be made decent.

For RoC Human, it was better imho to focus on the background elements than on the foreground ones. To achieve this, the banners at the top had to be cut off.

I agree that Blizzard could produce much better looking 3D animated campaign screens for all aspect ratios, if only Blizzard wanted to.

Last edited:

HB.

HB.

Level 3
@Dr Super Good

By the way, how is it possible that ladder used to be reset in the past without a problem (although it was happening very rarely), but now there seem to be many obstacles on the way?

Was it managed by someone else then?

I remember that in 2015 someone reset ladder twice within 2 weeks while rotating some ladder maps (and afterwards calling it a test), so I figured that the attention to ladder was finally brought back and from then on it would be done way more regularly.

But here we are, 3 years later...

Level 11
Bots took over some 10 years ago. There are a few free hosting services, like Make Me Host or ENT Gaming, where you can have a bot host a map for you and reap the benefits thereof like auto refreshing, muting powers, kicking powers, etc.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Bots took over some 10 years ago. There are a few free hosting services, like Make Me Host or ENT Gaming, where you can have a bot host a map for you and reap the benefits thereof like auto refreshing, muting powers, kicking powers, etc.
I don't think he was talking about the normal host bots, rather about the AUTO host bots that fill most of the lobby, first it started on TFT and ruined it, 4 years ago started to ruin ROC. I wish blizzard could do something about it and ban all those auto host bots so we could have a clearer lobby.

Level 11
I too wish the auto host bots were gone. It's rather hard to eliminate one without the other, though. Blizz's base hosting system is and was always garbage (I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to not allow searching by game name or map name substrings), so it'd be a step down to get rid of bots entirely too.

The only way we're getting rid of auto hosting bots is if remastered wc3 comes out with enhanced hosting features (no need for refreshing, host commands, reconnections, currently active game lists outside of wc3, etc).

Didn't know about drop hacks - the last time I played this game quite a bit was in 2004. Dropped by after seeing news of an old favorite game being updated and feeling nostalgic.
Kinda disappointed to see what it has become when every game is just footmen frenzy and custom footies.

With regards to lag-less, I doubt these bots run on a distributed network all over the world. I did try a game or two with them, got 1-2 seconds delays. Absolutely terrible, or I was just unlucky.

Level 14
sigh
bots do provide lag-less experience
reconnection system
protection from drophacks
statistic

and ofc there are luddites who claims them to spam. these players deserved every bit of misery.
One of few things i agree with you xD
It also solves issue of games going bye bye when host looses/get kicked/leaves. People who did rant about bots on bnet forums around 1.27's release and up to this point are some random morons who dont understand current landscape of the game and never used these. I never got spammed either, there were maybe few bots of other kind that did advertise some clans when i went on bnet but that's totally unrelated to hosting bots and wasnt a spam...it was literally single message like current blizzard one about the emails.....

Didn't know about drop hacks - the last time I played this game quite a bit was in 2004. Dropped by after seeing news of an old favorite game being updated and feeling nostalgic.
Kinda disappointed to see what it has become when every game is just footmen frenzy and custom footies.

With regards to lag-less, I doubt these bots run on a distributed network all over the world. I did try a game or two with them, got 1-2 seconds delays. Absolutely terrible, or I was just unlucky.
You got unlucky, probably it was crossrealm from other server like you were playing on US West and you got onto European bot or vice versa, US east and EU are at most like +80-100 ping for people getting from other server that one the bot is on just because of inherent latency due to distance, it may also cause slow dl speed on crossrealm...usually capped at 100kb/s within same realm it should go to 1-2mb/s.

And no it's not just footmen maps :v check Make me host and ent game's lists people host all variety of maps through the day, but yes there are some bots that host same map automaticly 24/7, but go and check out these that people host themselves MakeMeHost Games List You can also host map you like(there are like 15 000 of them on MMH.
Ent is better tho because you can upload maps yourself and then host, MMH had similar thing but after Arty retired i dunno if it will be maintained and updated cuz it wasnt allowed for everyone to upload maps there only few people got mapper status there like me.

Last edited:
Level 11
If you log in and look at the listing (well maybe not right now since the patch just came out), you'll see an enormous amount of empty lobbies. I've taken to just looking at MMH and ENT's websites to look for games and not look at the in-game listing, because that one's filled with empty games.

Level 14
I too wish the auto host bots were gone. It's rather hard to eliminate one without the other, though. Blizz's base hosting system is and was always garbage (I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to not allow searching by game name or map name substrings), so it'd be a step down to get rid of bots entirely too.

The only way we're getting rid of auto hosting bots is if remastered wc3 comes out with enhanced hosting features (no need for refreshing, host commands, reconnections, currently active game lists outside of wc3, etc).
Or just make way to filter out autohosted games because some people play on those like Hero Push or Footies or others. You're talking about something that will hurt these smaller often competitive custom games communities. They also have a place in the game. All we need is filters that will get all games with lets say [ENT] prefix gone to be considered auto. Or for Classic team to cooperate with ENT and Diplomunion to improve both and make standarised stuff and make some distinction hosting on demand and auto 24/7 hosts. And blizzard would link to ENT from ingame...like it links to ladder and profile websites.

You need to think about bigger picture not just your own mild annoyences caused by current state of things with autobots. Most of people use games lists on ENT and MMH to find games hosted on demand by people themselves. I use both ingame browser(because its not that hard you just ignore all bots with prefixes that are obviously 24/7 lobbies) and these website games lists. It would be lovely to have better filters(currently old version of it we have is pretty much useless)And search option that narrows the found games according to written name alongside of just being used for direct joining.

Such more "official" recognition and cooperation could improve the game alot especially improving cross realm play, hosting itself by adding extra button sending people to ENT's site for example. Basicly integrating it to wc3. Hosting bots are much better than Sc2's arcade with benefits they give and control.

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
Or just make way to filter out autohosted games because some people play on those like Hero Push or Footies or others. You're talking about something that will hurt these smaller often competitive custom games communities. They also have a place in the game. All we need is filters that will get all games with lets say [ENT] prefix gone to be considered auto. Or for Classic team to cooperate with ENT and Diplomunion to improve both and make standarised stuff and make some distinction hosting on demand and auto 24/7 hosts. And blizzard would link to ENT from ingame...like it links to ladder and profile websites.

You need to think about bigger picture not just your own mild annoyences caused by current state of things with autobots. Most of people use games lists on ENT and MMH to find games hosted on demand by people themselves. I use both ingame browser(because its not that hard you just ignore all bots with prefixes that are obviously 24/7 lobbies) and these website games lists. It would be lovely to have better filters(currently old version of it we have is pretty much useless)And search option that narrows the found games according to written name alongside of just being used for direct joining.
Filters won't help, the problem is that there are like 10 auto host bots hosting the same game and lobbies will fill a lot slower, now imagine that but with different maps. ENT and MMH aren't the problem, they are useful for people who don't own bots, only the delay might be a little problem. So getting rid of autohost bots would be really great, but sadly im not seeing that happening.

Level 14
Filters won't help, the problem is that there are like 10 auto host bots hosting the same game and lobbies will fill a lot slower, now imagine that but with different maps. ENT and MMH aren't the problem, they are useful for people who don't own bots, only the delay might be a little problem. So getting rid of autohost bots would be really great, but sadly im not seeing that happening.
But these bots are there for certain maps that fill up fast, like Footmen and Hero Push, some others like Vampirism and Tower Defenses. Plus most of hte autohosting bots are from ENT anyway. Filter will help, ENT could just pecify these bots as Auto and they could be filtered out or in depending if someone doesnt or does want to use them/browse them. Removal of them isnt a real solution.
There is demand for both types of bots, stop being selfish and blind for the fact people play on these too. Why you dont think about solutions that literally please everyone like i do?

Plus with official recognition of bots as game's utility and not danger or issue as many clueless idiots on battlenet forums tended to yell.(now they get rightfully downvoted same as hateful comments towards the classic team and other stupid remarks) They could implement support for them ingame so new people can access them easier, and loading becomes possible with bots, and crossrealm gets better without issues like capped download speeds. They could tag all autobots as such and make filter to browse everything except autobots, only autobots and nothing else....or like right now everything. ENT makes their autobots marked as such, and few others get also tagged as auto manually.(there arent that many of them.....with ENT maybe 50-60 bots....plus few of those that turn on periodicly instead of being on 24/7 like FFA melee games bot and Hero Push) It's just little bit of work plus needed improvements. Man hosted games are non existant because of NAT and port forwarding issues which are hard or impossible to resolve depending on exact make of the router. Plus native hosting also is terrible because once host gets dropped either by loosing or getting droped then whole game goes bye bye. Bot's are just superior solution they are even better than Sc2's arcade. With couple of quality of life tweaks to how search works and with addition of filters, official support that links users to ENT it would be great. It could be some kind of drop down menu that opens after clicking 'Host a game' in custom games, with native option and link to hosting service, it would help newcomes and newbies who just panic and get overwhelmed, and when they host they just cant have people join them. RoC could get group of on-demand bots aswell cuz it's Custom scene is dead except few 24/7 clan game bots since like 2012.

Last edited:

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
But these bots are there for certain maps that fill up fast, like Footmen and Hero Push, some others like Vampirism and Tower Defenses. Plus most of hte autohosting bots are from ENT anyway.
I'm pretty sure there is an equal amount of autohost bots from ent and autohost bots from clan. It's actually quite rare to see maps filling up that fast...
Filter will help, ENT could just pecify these bots as Auto and they could be filtered out or in depending if someone doesnt or does want to use them/browse them. Removal of them isnt a real solution.
Why not? The lobby would be much better.
There is demand for both types of bots, stop being selfish and blind for the fact people play on these too. Why you dont think about solutions that literally please everyone like i do?
Why would someone want an autohost bot if they either could own a bot themselves or ask a hosting service? My whole point is to remove all auto host bots, not all bots, so people could join and fill games faster, have a cleaner lobby, host the map they want and be happy, I don't see how that is selfish...it's not only me who wants they removed.
Plus with official recognition of bots as game's utility and not danger or issue as many clueless idiots on battlenet forums tended to yell.(now they get rightfully downvoted same as hateful comments towards the classic team and other stupid remarks)
Who says bots are dangerous? I've never seen anyone saying that. The first time I saw one I was curious how it would be, and it was great.
They could implement support for them ingame so new people can access them easier, and loading becomes possible with bots,
I don't understand what you mean by this, like, is it really that complicated to access a bot?
Man hosted games are non existant because of NAT and port forwarding issues which are hard or impossible to resolve depending on exact make of the router.
What the hell is "Man hosted games"? How does it difer from native hosting?
Plus native hosting also is terrible because once host gets dropped either by loosing or getting droped then whole game goes bye bye. Bot's are just superior solution they are even better than Sc2's arcade.
No one uses native hosting these days, that's pretty rare and no one said it was good, I don't understand your point.

Level 14
People who play themdont host them it's far more frequent and easy when bot does this itself especially since maps like hero push are quick pvp maps and are played several times in the row.

Why would someone want an autohost bot if they either could own a bot themselves or ask a hosting service? My whole point is to remove all auto host bots, not all bots, so people could join and fill games faster, have a cleaner lobby, host the map they want and be happy, I don't see how that is selfish...it's not only me who wants they removed.
as above. Demand hosting isnt that good for specific pvp maps like that.

Who says bots are dangerous? I've never seen anyone saying that. The first time I saw one I was curious how it would be, and it was great.
Check older classic games forum section from past year and earlier and update posts for previous releases. It fortunetly got scarce recently.

I don't understand what you mean by this, like, is it really that complicated to access a bot?
For newbies and newcomers or peoplereturning after dosen-ish years it isnt - mostly cuz its 3rd party thing. And they get overehelmed by many bot hosted games and i agree that sea of autohosted games may cause big confusion among newbies too but filterong them out is better solution than removal not all people want to host but want to play these, some of these are also get go join games that people would forget to host themselves unless they feel like it and bots also work as map adverts cuz people may not even know thatcertein map exists especially since there are tousands of then in bot's databases on mmh.

i just meant native hosting xD

No one uses native hosting these days, that's pretty rare and no one said it was good, I don't understand your point.
I just meant that it should be semi-official solution since native hosting is trash for these reasons i listed. Blizz and bot service providers like ent should cooperate to improve that even more and make it justbetter for everyone

Level 6
I'm pretty sure there is an equal amount of autohost bots from ent and autohost bots from clan. It's actually quite rare to see maps filling up that fast...

What about this as a fix to make everyone happy. Rather the removing the auto host bots. What it does is detect the name of the game/map file then put them all together in a list from most full to least. So lets say there are 3 games 2 are called "Mass battle" and the other is "Dragon's RPG" so the mass battle ones will be put into 1 listing and dragon rpg will be on it's own and since one mass battle all ready has 3 or 4 people it will prioratize people joining that one. And because it detects it by map file name rather then game name it will do a good enough job sorting them.

Level 14
What about this as a fix to make everyone happy. Rather the removing the auto host bots. What it does is detect the name of the game/map file then put them all together in a list from most full to least. So lets say there are 3 games 2 are called "Mass battle" and the other is "Dragon's RPG" so the mass battle ones will be put into 1 listing and dragon rpg will be on it's own and since one mass battle all ready has 3 or 4 people it will prioratize people joining that one. And because it detects it by map file name rather then game name it will do a good enough job sorting them.
Well Filtering could work too, if bots that autohost get tagged to certain filter to be viewed or hidden from games list when people need either of these options. It's similar to your idea

Level 6
Well Filtering could work too, if bots that autohost get tagged to certain filter to be viewed or hidden from games list when people need either of these options. It's similar to your idea
Either one could work. Personally I don't care if it is a bot running it or not.

Level 1
Can I still update my Warcraft 3 if it's a cd download, from 1.21b to 1.29? And how would I go about updating since the PTR link for 1.29 doesn't exist anymore (error 404)

Level 1
I didn't pirate it, I bought a warcraft 3 battlechest. Anyways, are you saying to rebuy the game from blizzard?

I didn't pirate it, I bought a warcraft 3 battlechest. Anyways, are you saying to rebuy the game from blizzard?

So.. what is your problem then? You already have the game if you say you bought it. You'll need to register your cd key with your Battle.net account. Create yourself a Battle.Net account, activate the game with cd key and download their new client. It's really simple.

Level 1
So.. what is your problem then? You already have the game if you say you bought it. You'll need to register your cd key with your Battle.net account. Create yourself a Battle.Net account, activate the game with cd key and download their new client. It's really simple.
Oh, I didn't know about registering the cd key to my B.net account. I've been out of the loop so I just recently found about the 1.29 patch when I went to go play the Gnoll Campaign.

P.S. Never mind, I got it.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As a general rule, broken links may still be useful, for people who want to explore the Wayback Machine.

Now, the current version of Warcraft ts 1.29.2. The current PTR version is 1.30. Meaning, this thread is about an outdated and unsupported version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.