1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29.1

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  2. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Except that Warcraft 3 isnt Starcraft 2 and wasnt made with widescreen in mind. Ingame doesnt suffer from any changes but glue screens for all menus, campaigns, ways menu ui is animated with all the chains and gears, it will either end up leaving middle of the screen empty and keep all stuff othe sides(i wonder how would that Bnet Gate work then....) And making them work on these models which is specificly deisgned to work at certain point of view and certain field of view, with lots of tricks used all around to make it look much bigger than it is. It's impossible to make them work porperly without heavily editing these models, most extreme example would be RoC's Human campaign glue, but all others also have things that are not meant to be seen thht would be uncovered by forcing actual 16:9 with increased FOV. Easiest and best solution for both blizzard and these people who dont want black bars is to add a toggle option to stretch the menues to 16:9 as it was with simple stretched 4:3 while having normal 16:9 ingame. Simple easy and solves the issues since these people always played on stretched 4:3 before anyway. Others who want proper proportions can just stick to 4:3 menues and that's it.....Reworks of all kinds are trumendous effort, far more than addint extra bezels on ingame UI.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why would anyone want to have option to toggle black bars on/off? They are annoying Blizzard must get rid of them soon. Thank god I have 27 inch monitor otherwise chatting on 15,6 inch laptop screen would be a disaster. It forces my face to be close to the screen(causing pain to my eyes) so I can see what others are writing If I stuck on 15,6 inch screen with annoying black bars.

Its the same with watching a movie with black bars too. I better not watch the movie instead of watching it with pathetic black bars. No doubt why most people hate these black bars

4. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well if I were to nitpick, I would say that the FMVs and the 3D campaign screens were. But because in the end only 4:3 aspect ratios were supported, the 3D campaign screens have always been pan and scan versions of what they imho were always intended to be, when the game was still being developed.

TFT_undead_4_3.jpg TFT_undead_16_9.jpg

@Trakya: You probably hate the cinematics of the game, then?

:wink:

5. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    And here you are wrong, because there are people like me who want to preserve the proportions, i hated stretched 4:3 and i never played on it. 'Option' pleases EVERYONE - your idea is forcing people like me to suffer with stretched 4:3 when i preffer current setup in 1.29 with 16:9 ingame and 4:3 menues, everything looks as it should. And again it's incredibly easy to do in comparison to grand rework of how menues operate.

Well it works with TFT's Arthas's glue....Human RoC glue literally ends pixels beyond the edge of the screen showing loads of one sided textures, meshes and other ugly stuff you are not meant to see. Same goes to pretty much all other gluescreen EXCEPT TFT Arthas one, and maybe belven one. All of them have artifacts, holes in models, skies dont fill in ...entiriety of the "sky" there is no details or vegetation....almost no decorations beyond inteded frames....So it's not the case for every glue, it also depends on what camera animation was used. RoC human campaign is vertical descending camera so they dont have the sides sicne you wont see them.

About pan and scan....depends some movies shot on reels were inherently 4:3....wen they get rereleased on let's say Blu-Ray it get's cropped and we loose what was on top and bottom of the screen, and it may be really bad if scenes where shot using that space of the frame to have a chacter's head there for example xD fortunetly it's really rare and mostly characters are in center of the screen

6. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have never mentioned 4:3 strech I just said get rid of the black bars. I don't mind the screen in game, what I hate is the pathetic menu black bars

7. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    What would you replace them with? The 3d backgrounds don't have geometry beyond the borders. I guess they could made additional art but I dunno how much artist time they have available (I doubt much, but then again, they did make the expanded UI elements).

8. sunshinex3

sunshinex3

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    in the editor when every i try to bring up unit requirement list it crashes

9. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This was the best I could tweak back then, when the widescreen fix by @ENAleksey did not exist yet.

ROC_human_4_3.jpg ROC_human_16_9.jpg

Yeah, RoC Human and TFT Orc were among the hardest ones to tweak so they look half-decent, with the tools I used. This was the best I could do when I did it, the Rexxar 3D campaign screen being the ugliest atm (plus, the scenery is so poor in this one...)

TFT_orc_4_3.jpg TFT_orc_16_9.jpg

10. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Don't replace them with anything, just let it be stretched like it was before, easier to read text and to see icons overall

11. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I want black bars to be kept alongside streteched 4:3 for you so you dont get 'triggered by black bars'
    Well you sacrifice some of the stuff visible above it's not too perfect solution but it looks ok, just that banners get cut off
    And Rexxar.......result is kind of 'eh' Point of view moved too much to, moon is offscreen and well it just didnt go that well as it did with Lordy one...
    Solutions like this come at cost like that tho......but i still feel like streching is best of all....it distorts the proportions a bit but everything is still placed and seen from same position ...as intended. Only real way to preserve everything from 4:3 perfectly and with intended point of view would need to be just opened up to the sides and well edited with all model artifacts there, add missing detail, fix the skies, tweak the animations on the scenery(if it has birds which also tend to do weird stuff offscreen). But result with lordearon is ok.

12. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can submit better values to tweak the MDL files in this thread. You may even submit values suitable for aspect ratios other than 16:9. Please bear in mind that the tools I used were semi-adequate for that task, and that I was learning from scratch the hard way all along. Based on how inexperienced I was when I did it, I would modestly say that it is a decent PoC.

For the Rexxar campaign I had to do many many concessions, notably because of the 'unfolding scroll' effect. The 'tunnel flyby' effect for RoC Undead was a lot less trouble to be made decent.

For RoC Human, it was better imho to focus on the background elements than on the foreground ones. To achieve this, the banners at the top had to be cut off.

I agree that Blizzard could produce much better looking 3D animated campaign screens for all aspect ratios, if only Blizzard wanted to.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. HB.

HB.

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Dr Super Good

By the way, how is it possible that ladder used to be reset in the past without a problem (although it was happening very rarely), but now there seem to be many obstacles on the way?

Was it managed by someone else then?

I remember that in 2015 someone reset ladder twice within 2 weeks while rotating some ladder maps (and afterwards calling it a test), so I figured that the attention to ladder was finally brought back and from then on it would be done way more regularly.

But here we are, 3 years later...

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    They are changing stuff server side, probably to save costs or for future BattleNet 2.0 integration.

15. Trakya

Trakya

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Dr Super Good or wait for the Senior Software Engineer to build it

16. alfredx_sotn

alfredx_sotn

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What happened to the game? Seems like there are a ton of bots hosting maps, very different from what I remember the game used to be.

17. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bots took over some 10 years ago. There are a few free hosting services, like Make Me Host or ENT Gaming, where you can have a bot host a map for you and reap the benefits thereof like auto refreshing, muting powers, kicking powers, etc.

18. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I don't think he was talking about the normal host bots, rather about the AUTO host bots that fill most of the lobby, first it started on TFT and ruined it, 4 years ago started to ruin ROC. I wish blizzard could do something about it and ban all those auto host bots so we could have a clearer lobby.

19. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    sigh
    bots do provide lag-less experience
    reconnection system
    protection from drophacks
    statistic

and ofc there are luddites who claims them to spam. these players deserved every bit of misery.

20. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I too wish the auto host bots were gone. It's rather hard to eliminate one without the other, though. Blizz's base hosting system is and was always garbage (I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to not allow searching by game name or map name substrings), so it'd be a step down to get rid of bots entirely too.

The only way we're getting rid of auto hosting bots is if remastered wc3 comes out with enhanced hosting features (no need for refreshing, host commands, reconnections, currently active game lists outside of wc3, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.