• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Overdramatic. Nobody has to hurry. When updates come to a map they come. This demand you're writing about is like you're buying food or something. Frankly, people just need to be patient and in the mean time play something else, be it another game or other maps. Simple. This end of modding fear is only an exaggeration. Warcraft III has never died and guess what, it was not due to payed modding but to free hobbyists. So please, enough with this false revelation of yours.

The only support this game needs is for modders/mappers to have tools for map and resource creation and for ladder contests/games to be hosted regularly.
Couldnt say it better myself.

Level 10
I think the way is, basing on the HIVE user hiring analogy, is by passing rather abussive but lucrative licenses to certain projects (most likely projects that share some kind of Blizzard product placement fanatism, like a new WC3 custom campaign, a Blizzard themed TD with some strange feature, but that also don't collide too much with other Blizzard products like a custom card game would do) that will put Blizzard on the very confortable spot of a distributor of a brand new, fan based and created, but still Blizzard products and expansions. To quicken things up, as i said on the premise 3, i think they will implement a competitive ecosystem, like map rankings, etc., and some incentives so people work hard (before you think i'm crazy, if you go to the map development section you will find lots of dudes not respecting the authors time and interest, some even trying to push deadlines and such).

What you describe there is pretty much the SC2 Arcade summed up. And i honestly believe that they could tty to learn from past mistakes. Although then again, they "immortalised" themself by giving nothing on mistakes of other companies.

Level 4
Overdramatic. Nobody has to hurry. When updates come to a map they come. This demand you're writing about is like you're buying food or something. Frankly, people just need to be patient and in the mean time play something else, be it another game or other maps. Simple. This end of modding fear is only an exaggeration. Warcraft III has never died and guess what, it was not due to payed modding but to free hobbyists. So please, enough with this false revelation of yours.

The only support this game needs is for modders/mappers to have tools for map and resource creation and for ladder contests/games to be hosted regularly.
I don't see how this is even remotely related to what i quoted. I was saying popular map makers out source away their popular maps so they can get rewarded for their efforts as we saw with Dota 2.

Also I'm gonna reply tho not related to what I said, This developer mindset that Oh I'm gonna just update my game 1 year later from now they just go play other games and comeback is proven false. When players leave a hardcore game they are far less likely to comeback. It usually involves them re-learning the entire game and most just prefer not to. Also not to mention when you have a bug ruining entire game they are far less likely to even keep playing. In Netease the top maps are patched weekly.

There is also bunch more support modders need. Right now you go to hosted game of Azeorth Wars for example, You have a first timer again a guy with 1000 games. Which then turns the game to trash for both. First and foremost we need like a level system that match makes players based on their experience. Secondly we need like tournaments and ranked ladder like you mentioned. Netease already has both for custom maps and they don't have to deal with Bots trash.

Also each map needs to have it's own section with it's own lobbies like Netease to know if it's the right map made by the author you wanted. Searching through a bunch of hosted lobbies does not make any sense and makes maps with cheat codes placed more common. There also needs to map details and reviews on the client, I don't have the search damn net every time I want to know about a new map and its patches. Then maps can be categorized by genre and freshness for example. Making search easier.

Edit: 3500 players on a Peak Day is Dead. Specially the majority of them playing Melee. So no it's not false revelation, I'm just stating the number. Even now the numbers haven't changed really.

One thing I forgot to mention, Reforged will competing with Age of Empires 4 next year which is far more popular, Making Warcraft chance even lower to attract new players.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Also I'm gonna reply tho not related to what I said, This developer mindset that Oh I'm gonna just update my game 1 year later from now they just go play other games and comeback is proven false. When players leave a hardcore game they are far less likely to comeback. It usually involves them re-learning the entire game and most just prefer not to. Also not to mention when you have a bug ruining entire game they are far less likely to even keep playing. In Netease the top maps are patched weekly.
You're exaggerating again. Of course bug fixes are a priority. I was referring to new content like new heroes for the DotA map... But you really like playing a game of contradictions.
One thing I forgot to mention, Reforged will competing with Age of Empires 4 next year which is far more popular, Making Warcraft chance even lower to attract new players.
.... you're giving marketing lessons to Blizzard's experts? What's you experience on anything, really? You wrote you don't map. I am quite sure you don't know much about economics as well.
I understand you have a concern and opinion, but throwing it at us like it's the right faith to follow, is absurd.

Level 4
You're exaggerating again. Of course bug fixes are a priority. I was referring to new content like new heroes for the DotA map... But you really like playing a game of contradictions.

.... you're giving marketing lessons to Blizzard's experts? What's you experience on anything, really? You wrote you don't map. I am quite sure you don't know much about economics as well.
I understand you have a concern and opinion, but throwing it at us like it's the right faith to follow, is absurd.
Usually it takes hours upon hours of work for a hardcore map to be bug free and have no balance issues before worrying about lack of content. majority of custom maps are no where near balanced or bug free.

well my degree is commerce and I'm not giving advice to Blizzard, just stating the facts. This move by Blizzard means They are not really interested in attracting new players really hence why there is Remaster not Warcraft 4. Also the 30 Euro paywall as well. All of this indicates that They are just fine with just getting the old players to re-purchase and possibly some WoW players, Blizzard will be fine with it financially, no need to attract a new market segment.

This however tho is not good for us in the long run, If only people who will play reforged are players who played Warcraft 3 and few WoW lore nerds who didn't, that is relative low and busy player base which is not good for longevity of the game but who cares if you charge 30 Euro just for a graphical update? right haha. Not saying it's necessary will turn out like that but right now Blizz hasn't done much to attract new players to this game.

Also how and why did you change the conversation to here lol? I'll mentioned was Bliz Warcraft 3 client needs to have to some of Netease's Warcraft 3 client if they are to have large and growing player-base like them.

Level 8
What you describe there is pretty much the SC2 Arcade summed up. And i honestly believe that they could tty to learn from past mistakes. Although then again, they "immortalised" themself by giving nothing on mistakes of other companies.

What major problem you saw with that system, and what you suggest? That could be legitimate feedback, should Blizzard is actually pushing a more value extracting politic regarding WC3 mod scene, which i think is reasonable to expect.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
1. You cant predict gamer tendencies when it comes to custom maps. The lack of consistency can make any game super popular or not played at all, no matter the quality level. Ive been a part of war3, dawn of war and SC2 modding and mapping communities and seen many cheap maps overshadow huge TCs just because player trends shift all the time.

2. Popularity of the game itself is incomparable to the era that war3 came out. High quality F2P ganes did not exist back then to compete with the map scene. Mapping WAS the F2P alternative to buying new games. There is no guarantee WC3R will retain high population over the long run or that the map community will reclaim its former glory. RTS is generally a dying genre, MOBA and Battle Royale is the current new trend. Custom maps will always be a passion driven niche. Even Valve has stopped making games and simply sits on the success of Steam and DotA2.

3. Icefrog was headhunted by Valve. Your example is wrong because ice frog did not go to Valve to get DotA made, Valve went to Icefrog to get DotA 2 made. The company hired a modder just like Blizzard hired modders now to help remake War3. Icefrog would have continued dota map support if not for the opportunity.

4. Money solves nothing. DotA2 has a market for assets that you can sell. Great for those who put in the work, right?! Wrong. The faxt that monetization happens means it draws professionals into a hobby narket and to keep things organized by quality, assets are user ranked. This makes the pros boost to the top, and any casual making things out of passion or fun float to the bottom. The system revolces around creators advertising their content to boost popularityvin order to get monetized. This similar phenomenon happened for a few SC2 maps that became very ambitious, such as Starcraft Universe, which I worked on. I dont see it as a good thing because as a map maker hobbyist, you cant compete against professionals and it would flood the market with more supply than demand.

You cant just pick and choose which mappers to moneize and which dont get support. That defeats the goal you intended, to support mappers hard work. Even crappy maps have effort poured into it, and its unrealistic to compensate everyone equally. Monetizing popular maps only sows jealousy and frustration for the rest of talented but unsung mappers out there. Patreon is imo the best alternative.

Turning mapping into a business (one that is dependant on a huge custom map playing fanbase, mind you) is not sustainable. There was a planned marketplace for SC2 which I looked forward to. Im happy they didnt go that direction.

Last edited:
Level 8
1. You cant predict gamer tendencies when it comes to custom maps. The lack of consistency can make any game super popular or not played at all, no matter the quality level. Ive been a part of war3, dawn of war and SC2 modding and mapping communities and seen many cheap maps overshadow huge TCs just because player trends shift all the time.

2. Popularity of the game itself is incomparable to the era that war3 came out. High quality F2P ganes did not exist back then to compete with the map scene. Mapping WAS the F2P alternative to buying new games. There is no guarantee WC3R will retain high population over the long run or that the map community will reclaim its former glory. RTS is generally a dying genre, MOBA and Battle Royale is the current new trend. Custom maps will always be a passion driven niche. Even Valve has stopped making games and simply sits on the success of Steam and DotA2.

3. Icefrog was headhunted by Valve. Your example is wrong because ice frog did not go to Valve to get DotA made, Valve went to Icefrog to get DotA 2 made. The company hired a modder just like Blizzard hired modders now to help remake War3. Icefrog would have continued dota map support if not for the opportunity.

4. Money solves nothing. DotA2 has a market for assets that you can sell. Great for those who put in the work, right?! Wrong. The faxt that monetization happens means it draws professionals into a hobby narket and to keep things organized by quality, assets are user ranked. This makes the pros boost to the top, and any casual making things out of passion or fun float to the bottom. The system revolces around creators advertising their content to boost popularityvin order to get monetized. This similar phenomenon happened for a few SC2 maps that became very ambitious, such as Starcraft Universe, which I worked on. I dont see it as a good thing because as a map maker hobbyist, you cant compete against professionals and it would flood the market with more supply than demand.

You cant just pick and choose which mappers to moneize and which dont get support. That defeats the goal you intended, to support mappers hard work. Even crappy maps have effort poured into it, and its unrealistic to compensate everyone equally. Monetizing popular maps only sows jealousy and frustration for the rest of talented but unsung mappers out there. Patreon is imo the best alternative.

Turning mapping into a business (one that is dependant on a huge custom map playing fanbase, mind you) is not sustainable. There was a planned marketplace for SC2 which I looked forward to. Im happy they didnt go that direction.

Nice post.

1. Of course you can. The thing is, quality is not the only parameter and i agree with you. Also authors have different styles, some do stuff for the people, some are passionate about something specific, like anime based maps, some have a tendency to do whatever they like at the moment with a dose of their peculiar quality standarts, etc. Authors with a tendency to be people pleasers or that have some kind of "empathy" with/in respect of the "needs" of others will naturally make popular maps. Some authros don't give a straw on popularity, but achieve some marginal popularity with quality, innovation, or even constant hard work and tuning. It is chaotic indeed, but you can observe trends, otherwise am i schizophrenic? Maybe.

2/3. At this time you can see that lots of ventures start with a natural passion, but then either the author or other people (if the author is too reluctant but talented, is not rare that there will start appearing imitators) will crystallize such emotions and passions with something tangible. The author will decide to get serious or not with his/her drives and if those drives will be the basis for his/her own material sustenance and spiritual realization. Or atleast will decide the extent of that.
Youtube started, majorly, as a random page where people will just upload their vivencies, basically a part of "themselves" (favorite music, random sketches, iconic gameplays, etc), but right now it is colonized with more professional, serious, business like and value extracting pages, ie. CollegeHumor, Music channels, Gaming channels. You could say that these people saw the popularity (either at the start or along the way of uploading their content) of their content, divised a potential gain, and opted to become professionals about that an to pursue such gain. Professionality often will relate with dedication, appeal to the masses and massivity (read: continious content/product that is standarized), and tangible gains (read: money, reputation, rankings, numbers, etc). I mean, i'm not judging anything, i'm just saying that it is reasonable to the point of obviousness that something is going to happen, something serious. Blizzard is a company, a professional entity, so their actions will (and i'm pretty sure, based on my loose definition or elucidation of professionality that they are indeed professionals) directly or implicitly pursue tangible results, bottom line, and large scale deployment of resources. Blizzard was never shy on exploiting the WC3 mod scene at any stage (they patronized Dota tournaments, they use quality mods as advertisement). It also seems that they are now a little bit less shy about it, judging by the current case of Starcraft II.

Also what made Dota what is today? Was it the popularity of the concept back then? The originality (it was based on the map the gave name to the genre if i recall correctly)? Was it the dedication and pushy "go-getter" qualities of the author or even some other behind the scenes people (LIKE ie. a sponsoring dude that make a deal with IceFrog to organize this or that event)? A combination of all that? Another thing? Is Dota special ontologically? Was IceFrog lucky? What tells you that what happened to Dota could not happen to another map or venture in general?

4. Money is just an average standarized way to measure value. Sometimes even power or influence, but here it's even a below average standart. Here i agree with you from a different point of view.
In the end people/companies will decide if they are recieving the value they are expecting for their actions, be either money, reputation, the favour of like minded people, etc. From a company like Blizzard, what we can deduct they are expecting to recieve as value for their actions? Money? Good feedback from their fans (they resented dearly the Diablo Immortal case, even "emotionally", as they were caught manipulating the likes and dislikes of the trailer)? About the good feedback i think most companies care about the community in general as a concept, and not about the opinion of one or two game experts/ultra dedicated and devouted fans/ the "guild/council" of ultra passionate modders, so here i differ.
I don't know if introducing paid modding is per se something that threatening. Even if it is a hobby, you will, by definition, devout time and effort, which is work, which is value one way or another. Call it a new principle of thermodynamics if you will: work is value, and good work is good value. But again, you decide if that value reported is enough or not. If not, you can either move or push yourself to get it. In your examples i think i get you are kind lying yourself a bit. If you care about like minded people to like your work, then the hobby map maker (in the sense you are using the concept) should be authentically satisfied by getting those important and personal likes. If you care about that and money, or about beign somebody with some kind of expertise, then why not pushing something more risky, devouting more resources, time, etc. If you are ie. already working as a lawyer, then you must evaluate your opportunity costs, or simply decide what (or how, if you want to pursue lots of endeavours) you want to do.
But i think that introducing paid mods as it stands is a lazy way to monetize, and thus unsustainable in the long run just like you said.
Why? because Blizzard wants a share (on which they might, pressumably, try to assert themselves as the protagonists) but their operation will reduce to: see the party, say go gets to drink and who not, and then fucking dissapear. In a mod scene like this, sustained by sites like this, the protagonists are the authors and the people that work to get some kind of content rolling, like this site itself. The proof of that bold comment, is, again, this site and many others, that have survived almost entirely, by indeed the protagonists. Me of course. So let them be Blizzard. Come on.
Should they introduce actual work and promotion to the scene (which they are kind of doing right now, i'm happy, look at this emoticon of happiness: :cool:2), which simply traduces on CONTENT, then their share will be justified, a balance of all elements and interveners is achieved, and the system becomes sustainable for atleast some period, and i can now sleep after 3 days.

Level 35
Yes you can create a game with passion for free. But to turn into to something great like Dota it takes quitting job and Uni and putting countless hours of work every over years and years. Unless you are rich AF and have no life, That is not possible for a map maker.
Data and evidence speak for themselves best. If our system was so good why did the Top map makers left? As I said their maps did not die, Warcraft 3 did.

Also I get you guys like giving Blizzard free money by working constantly to attract more sales to their game through your mods and enriching the corporation for nothing. But as history as shown the major map makers like Icefrog do not want and leave somewhere where they can get rewarded for their efforts.

Yea, lets first compare two world areas that cannot be compared (different availability of games, hardware and income just to mention a few), then ask why top map makers left? Should I point out that quite a few didn't? That some moved to SC2? That people grow older? That some was headhunted due to their work? I mean you appear to believe that modding is a job, not a hobby. I've been modding Warcraft since the Warcraft 2 Battlenet Edition, and I have never felt the need to get paid for a single thing. Is that because I am filthy rich? No! I do it because I love helping people, I love being creative and even more seeing my stuff being played and enjoyed by others. Heck, I have even donated money to keep sites that allow us to post our mods on them. If anything modding has cost me money, but then again it hasn't.

My love for modding has lead me to my current work, it has shaped my life in many ways (given that is has been almost 19 years). I've found friends, colleagues and innumerable hours of fun. Could I get paid for my work? Yes, I mean part of my RL work involves doing things similar to modding - But then the demands go up. Creating a quick model, icon or whatever just to test an idea or have fun would be impossible.

Did DotA keep Wc3 alive? Well no.. It still lives and are now even getting an update. Did it help keep the amount of online players up? Yes. Did Icefrog quit modding for Wc3 due to money issues? No, Hell no. Wc3 made his career!

While I would love to get paid for creating games, models and whatnot this already has a title: Its called being a Game developer.

Do you know why the "good maps" are coming to steam? Well, in a lot of cases it is because the teens who were making those maps grew up and got a job working with what they loved. I mean just look at how people from this community was hired by Blizzard. Oh and online numbers really doesn't show anything. Vampire Bloodlines is still getting patches to this day - A singleplayer game, but a great one.
Also you should look up outsourcing.. I don't believe you are aware of what that actually entails.

Wc3 - Reforged will be able to last for years to come, assuming Blizzard manages to make a good transition and most importantly a great map editor. Those "old" people who grew up playing Warcraft: Orcs & Humans might very well show their kids and thus a new cycle can begin.

Monetization, advertisement, lootboxes and all those other "must make extra money" tactics will never keep a game alive. Love for the game and enjoyment of it will. Believing that monetization is required for a game to exist and thrive is a falsehood that I cannot fathom some people believe.

This is a qoute from the Diablo Immortal Discussion about Netease:
As a Chinese player, I exactly know what does that "NETEASE" icon appeared at the beginning of this video mean, for those who don't know, you can consider it as another Chinese version NEXON but for the mobile platform. NETEASE is the agent-operator for the WOW in China, and the company itself made a lot of easy money by developing a large number of in-app purchase mobile games for those Superficial players, so the reason for Blizzard developing Diablo immortal with NETEASE I think, can only be just for quick money.
Blizzard may hope that this game will make lots of money in the Chinese market. But sadly, it would be in the cost of its own reputation across the global market. As obviously the Diablo immortal is not the real result wanted by its own players after years of waiting.
Sad for Diablo fans, and shame for Blizzard to outsource its game to a garbage game company.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Haven't been sufficiently in touch with the gaming scene to put up consistent feedback on the subject of monetization. From my experience, though, departing from simple purchase-once models in favor of things like monthly fees is exactly why I have never played WoW. I never intended to buy cosmetics either, though I'm way more receptive to that idea than monthly fees.

Let me just add:
seen many cheap maps overshadow huge TCs just because player trends shift all the time.
Sometimes they don't shift fast enough. I remember @vile's Age of Myths (AoS map) was so much more balanced, fun and feature-rich than DotA, but it never caught up. It introduced "assists", "player shuffling", and "team rebalancing" before DotA and hosting bots even knew those were concepts. It was way ahead of its time, but went severely underappreciated. (I guess this was precisely your point, though.)

Now @Sansui has returned too. Reforged could even turn out to be November fools, I'd still thank Blizzard for bringing back all these people *.*

Level 35
Let me just add:
Sometimes they don't shift fast enough. I remember @vile's Age of Myths (AoS map) was so much more balanced, fun and feature-rich than DotA, but it never caught up. It introduced "assists", "player shuffling", and "team rebalancing" before DotA and hosting bots even knew those were concepts. It was way ahead of its time, but went severely underappreciated. (I guess this was precisely your point, though.)

Yea, I recall playing it and being amazed with how much better and improved it was over DotA, but once a ball gets rolling it is tough to stop. Perhaps we will see something similar next year :grin:

Reactions: Rui
Level 1
It wont be as easy at all. They use lots of features that arent in original wc3, models are so big that most of old software will crash alot like mdlvis.....its not even sure if they will still use mdx/mdl. Reskining the will be very limited and much harder. It will require everyone who attempts it to know 3ds max...which is ridiculous and will make it really hard for newcomers to attempt.

Its in style of cgi cinematcis from.what we seen which isnt what even WoW has. Thus level of excessive and unnessesary fidelity will make model making dead aside from top artists here who have nessesary skills and knowledge, say bye bye to all reskins of original models and lesser edits like Ujimasa hojo's or kangyun's style of ingame using retextures.

You all clearly dont understand how destructive this dumb artstyle change is. And what repercusions will follow aside of butchered integrity of the game.

no reason to be this negative. they said they want to give the resources to the people that kept World Editor and warcraft 3 alive , give them a bloody chance.

Level 14
no reason to be this negative. they said they want to give the resources to the people that kept World Editor and warcraft 3 alive , give them a bloody chance.
I know, sorry for that. I was still quite angry at the time. They said that they will release the tools to work on the models, but as it was done in the past it may be just an art tools set for 3ds max version they are using right now. However there is a chance they do far more and give us stuff to menage mdx, m2 and m3 files and to easily convert them without breaking to several types of software like Blender and not just 3ds max. And if they do then well, we will see even more models done, so it's win win. I still dont really like the artstyle and never will, it's totally unnessesary and revisionitic in nature but then we can just use custom models in our maps to replace all these.... I am starting working on my remasters of originals now.

Level 39
but then we can just use custom models in our maps to replace all these.... I am starting working on my remasters of originals now.

Or you can just switch to the old art style with the option that Blizzard has already confirmed will be there. It's literally one click of a button. None of the custom assets here will be redundant, because that option will always be there. Blizzard is not forcing anybody to use the new art style.

Reactions: pyf
Level 8
Level 35
Bad news...only the opening cinematic is being remade. The others are just getting better resolution...I know it would take a lot of work but I am terribly disappointed by this.

Considering how I never played Wc3 for the cinematics, I am not really bothered by this. Even more so considering how most of the cut-scenes are ingame and thus will be updated.

Reactions: pyf
Level 2
Now I am starting to questioning myself if Reforge is worth buying or not. I don't want to be disappointed again just like in Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon. :cry::cry::cry::cry:
This is how pride destroys all things beautiful. :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Level 35
Now I am starting to questioning myself if Reforge is worth buying or not. I don't want to be disappointed again just like in Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon.
This is how pride destroys all things beautiful.

I believe you are safe there. Nothing can be a worse Blizzard title than Immortal. (Also I wouldn't call it pride, but greed).

Level 13
I see random posts of people giving Micro transactions flack. Its pretty obvious eastern maps community has benefited greatly from having access to generating revenue from their creations. It was already possible if you did all of the scripting through your bot and players only played through that bot (meme possibilities really). Eastern community capitalized on it because 1.26 allowed direct implementation of microtrans, among other things.

It would be nice to see Dota 1.5 and eastern maps be supported on the current bnet platform, but thats more of a pipe dream or an endpoint for their development on WC3.

Level 1
Ohh boy, I really can't wait for it... the game of my life.. coming back to life :D

I have read some of the coments and.. honestly, most of them are very pessimistic about the WE, the artstyle, the models and the story retcons all in all. I admit, it is an understandable and natural situation. The classic version of the game as it is right now will forever be the best.

Imo, what I care a lot for is the cinematics: Murder of King Terenas, the fight between Arthas and Illidan, Rexxar's quest, as well as the unit race models and, of course, the chance to replay the game :). I'd also like to add the fact that they might introduce new storylines and custom campaigns which fit in the lore and which would be really awesome to play as an RTS experience rather than an MMO one.

As are many others, I am very curious as to how the UI and WE are gonna be presented.

What I find off about the whole project is.. the feedback. I mean, just by reading a lot of the comments, which are pretty mean, people are judging this product before it is even out. I barely noticed anyone who is actually optimistic about this whole idea and adopts the concept of "time will tell" or "we just have to wait and see". I personally can't criticise something if I can't test it from any perspective.

Even though I hate to say it that Blizzard has become something rather different along the years, I'd like to still have hope for what they want to make with this marvellous game. So, to stress my last points, we'll just have to be a little bit patient until "the rain has gone".

Last edited:

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Imo, what I care a lot for is the cinematics: Murder of King Terenas, the fight between Arthas and Illidan, Rexxar's quest, as well as the unit race models and, of course, the chance to replay the game :). I'd also like to add the fact that they might introduce new storylines and custom campaigns which fit in the lore and which would be really awesome to play as an RTS experience rather than an MMO one.

Hmm just noticed you mentioned cinematics. You are aware that they are upressing the cinematics and not remaking them like the trailer, yes? Just wanted to make sure since that has been quite an issue in the community.

Level 1
Hmm just noticed you mentioned cinematics. You are aware that they are upressing the cinematics and not remaking them like the trailer, yes? Just wanted to make sure since that has been quite an issue in the community.

Ohh, didn't know that.. thx for letting me know =)) Those other things still stand tho :thumbs_up:

Level 5
Is there anything on how they’ll handle custom models and skins going from regular WC3 to Reforged?

I can see BNet being a very different place if they’ve got filters, reporting, etc. too. And not in a good way. Hyped as I should be about WC3 getting another chance in the spotlight, I’m just doubtful about how well it’ll be managed.

Last edited:
Level 11
so so so, how do we get our hands on the new world editor?
When Reforged is released?
It will be at some point in 2019, probably by the end of the year.
Future updates might also bring improvements to the editor before Reforged is out, who knows. We just need to wait.

Level 7
so so so, how do we get our hands on the new world editor?
When Reforged is released?
It will be at some point in 2019, probably by the end of the year.
Future updates might also bring improvements to the editor before Reforged is out, who knows. We just need to wait.
AFAIK the editor patch is stated to come out in February/March.

Level 2
i think why they redesigned models and maps to look like WoW is that WoW maps and styles were the vision of how warcraft world would be. But i agree about how they should keep their wc3 style. i like the hd rexxar from the campaign screen, and i'd love to see how others were remade to be like that style for this reforged.

Level 28
As a WC1-3 story fanatic but so/so about WoW story I actually don't have a problem with making changes to fit better with WoW, under a few conditions:
- Changing the level design: Many maps in WC3 have potential to benefit from a general overhaul, with better spacing, more interesting encounters, better scripted events. Adding a few recognizable monsters/NPCs is just icing on the cake. The important thing is that a map deson't lose it's gameplay identity. But this is simply achieved by having the same objectives which force you to build specific types of units, which are usually just the newly unlocked ones.
- Changing the story: They shouldn't change the story of WC3 to fit WoW. After all WoW is only so interesting because WC3 was so good. But they can add dialogues, cinematics, and even some things hinting at future development, on top of the existing storylines. Maybe even new maps. Unfortunately we won't get these with the old voice actors.
- Visuals: Whatever they do, realistic or goofy, it needs to work for Remastered. Currently the models don't fit the ground textures, but Blizzard is aware of that.

Whatever happens. WC3 Vanilla should always look and feel like it does now.

Level 7
I'm actually really pleased with what I've seen so far. And I'm one of the guys who was arguing AGAINST a remaster for ages.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
I'm excited for this! But you know what I'm more excited for? The HIVE bustling and being active like it used to be. This place is like my online home and really brings back memories when I look back to my visits that were just a year ago. Feels so long ago now with this place feeling a bit more empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.