• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Void Ridge

Story

This place is slowly being swallowed by the void.
A cartel of greedy goblins has made an opportunity to get some profit by using energies of the void to power up their machines... until they were attacked by the inhabitants of the island and the Legion.

Tactics

This is a seemingly simple 1v1 map, except for all the floating islands that are accessible via zeppelin. Players can either get a fast expansion near the starting location or hire zeppelins to get to a more "safe" gold mine. Having zeppelins certainly do help with getting the best items on the map, too.

Map Specifics

208431-68b922c0059b74b0d640282fca7d1f80.jpg
Players

208430-a0bf11462cec6338b8e882705c9309cd.jpg
Creep Camps
8 12 2

208427-67ced567f320d96ce63cdb2eb304a5d4.jpg
Neutral Buildings

208423-626cd1b769e6dcd3ae555e8d52671d6c.jpg
Gold Mines
[2018-10-30]-Uploaded

[2018-11-5]-Updated:

-New level 9 creep camp behind starting location, drops a level 2 random power up item, giving players more reasons to clear those trees (and get zeppelins/shredders) and to maybe get the nether drake camp too.
-Permanent loot from the island gold mine and that other creep camp on the edge has been swapped.
-The red camp now has units with ensnare to counter air units.
-Main land goldmine creep camp and mercenary camp units have been readjusted (they have the same loot though).
-Nether drakes have been slighty moved to the middle of the island so it's less likely there will be any problem when they drop their loot. I'm not too sure about this change though, so I might just replace the drakes with another type of creep.
-Added a few more doodads in zones that seemed a bit empty compared to the rest of the map.

Authors Notes

Ok, so I have mixed feelings about this map tbh. The idea I had in mind was to have a standard melee map with optional places you could visit via air transports, but I think I made the map way too big (though a good portion of the map isn't even pathable unless you use air units). I made at least 3 creep camps to be only accessible with zeppelins cause I didn't want to force people to get zeppelins but I also didn't want them to be kind of just used to creep one camp. There's also plenty of trees so shredders can have some fun.

My perfectionistic side tells me I should have kept the map smaller without the islands and just have two expansions but I wanted to try something new and give the Outland tiles as much use as I could. There's a little empty zone behind the starting location trees, which was originally planned to have a small creep camp that you could have access to by making a path through the trees. I decided not to add any creeps in the end because I thought it would be too close to the Nether Drakes, but I might change my mind about it.

The map aesthetic was inspired by the Netherstorm/Void Ridge zones from WoW. I didn't add map shadows because I thought they looked out of place and weird for Outland tiles.

This map was a **** to make, so I hope you guys enjoy it :)
As always feedback is welcome, and feel free to post if I overlooked anything or if there's something that could be changed for the better. Happy Halloween~
Previews
Contents

Void Ridge (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
Fast review: Awsome map awsome terraining. About the size, is clever the way you put the things. Is quite very good. Distances are ok. Sugestion for the future: for 1vs1 96x96 or 128x128, avoid 160 or above. Think that 128x128 is for 4 player maps...
deepstrasz
Flying units dropping items isn't a good thing if they are near water or unreachable places. In terms of balance the mercenary camp is OK. In terms of fitting to the map's tileset/theme it doesn't. The concept is good that it makes Zeppelins and air...
Level 29
Fast review:

Awsome map awsome terraining.

About the size, is clever the way you put the things. Is quite very good. Distances are ok.
Sugestion for the future: for 1vs1 96x96 or 128x128, avoid 160 or above.
Think that 128x128 is for 4 player maps or very generous 1vs1.

Sugestions to improve:

upload_2018-11-2_10-31-0.png

1) I would place those creeps in other part of the map, because they are too much out of game.
2) Goldmine defenders are level 18 looting permanent level 3, while the others creeps are level 15 looting permanent level 4, I would swap the loots,
level 18 is almost a red, the loot should be better than a level 15.
3) Goldmine creeps are 5 melee units, I think is too redundant, some ranged are missing, I would change 2 melee for 2 ranged.

Even if this map doesn´t fit for ladder play, still deserves a 5/5

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Flying units dropping items isn't a good thing if they are near water or unreachable places.
  2. In terms of balance the mercenary camp is OK. In terms of fitting to the map's tileset/theme it doesn't.
  3. The concept is good that it makes Zeppelins and air units useful.
  4. Neutral hostile units should have more air counter, especially those on islands.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 6
Terrain is perfect and I personally like the idea of a large map with only two players in it.
I only have three little suggestions:
1. There should be slightly stronger group of monsters at The Goblin Laboratory camps and the small camps closest to the tavern;
2. Loot from monster camps should be improved at:
- Nether Drake camps;
- Goblin Laboratory camps;
3. Make the mercenary camps thematically with some void walkers, vampires inside, even infernals.

Last edited:
Level 4
Updated:

-New level 9 creep camp behind starting location, drops a level 2 random power up item, giving players more reasons to clear those trees (and get zeppelins/shredders) and to maybe get the nether drake camp too.
-Permanent loot from the island gold mine and that other creep camp on the edge has been swapped.
-The red camp now has units with ensnare to counter air units.
-Main land goldmine creep camp and mercenary camp units have been readjusted (they have the same loot though).
-Nether drakes have been slighty moved to the middle of the island so it's less likely there will be any problem when they drop their loot. I'm not too sure about this change though, so I might just replace the drakes with another type of creep.
-Added a few more doodads in zones that seemed a bit empty compared to the rest of the map.

@Ragnaros17 I don't want to remove that creep camp because then that part of the map will be super useless and empty, so I hope adding a new creep camp nearby will help with that :c
@fostaa The reason why I made the goblin lab camp weaker is because I wanted players to have easier and early access to zeppelins/shredders. What about the Nether Drake camp loot should be improved though?

Thanks for the feedback!

Level 6
because 'w3x' is the normal format for maps? :D It is not a scenario or something..