• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The purple Palace

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Gnuoy
What is it about?
A hero must free prisoners out of a labyrinth.

The 2 main challenges:

Both of these are practically the core of the game, or rather, the overall design came out of these ideas in the first place.

1. in a desert a meteor is periodically but irregularly hurled at the hero. However, he can dodge it and let it hit enemies in close quarter combat. You always have to watch out and keep moving.
  2. The prisoners are in cages in a maze, here 11 elves archers distributed on 24 cages. The time is limited (timer), but increases with each new run in case of a fail. Only when all have been freed, it is possible to leave the prison maze. Challenge: Every single release generates a guard with a certain probability.
The number of prisoners, and which type it is, is flexibly controllable via variables: Are they villagers or soldiers? In the worldeditor a number of cages can be positioned arbitrarily, but they have to be in the corresponding region.

Landscape:

A desert, a palace, a sea and a coastline. But the coast in the east with the peninsula in front is just an example of how it could be.

Triggering:

The essential and presumably always correctly working triggers are about the Hero Selection, Meteor Strike and Prisoner Release. Some triggers or trigger parts are unused.

Development status of the game:

Playable, but also i would consider that a ressource. As it is presented here, it is not really as complete, as i would like it to be. The game has been intended as a rescue mission within my larger campaign about Jaina Proudmoore and it started several years ago. But now i dont know what to do with it furthermore. The important balancing with the many enemies s also not fully developed here but only an approximation. What could be done? I once had a complicated triggered test version where a group of heroes arrive (via gamecache) by ship, and after freeing the prisoners sailed back across the river through a portal to freedom (i.e. another game). As a solo game, on the other hand, I could imagine a high score. I'm almost certainly not going to realize that, though.

Start:

The game starts with my version of a hero selection. (Which heroes should be available is defined in the worldeditor: Just put any heroes on the corresponding region "start" at the beginning (east) in front of the cave entrance and start the game). Here it is one per race.

The game consists of 4 sections.
  1. crossing a desert to the palace.
  2. entering the palace
  3. freeing the prisoners
  4. end of the game (not really finished)

Desert:

Small temples are worshipped by priests. The temples provide mana. There is a tapestry store. A larger bandit camp allows you to capture gold. (But the balance here is not exactly worked out: How much gold, what's in the store, etc., lots of open questions).

Palace entrance:

One of the priests in the desert has the key to the entrance. You can't get in without it.

Palace, Water Maze:

Behind the entrance is a first maze with strong enemies. (The balance is not worked out, especially: What kind of items do the dead drop?)

Palace:

In the palace itself lives a kind of boss enemy, who appears at a regular time for a certain period of time and then disappears. If he is killed, however, he will reappear at the next time. He can chase you anywhere in the palace, but will teleport back to the main hall if he wants to leave the palace to chase you. Escape is sometimes advised. The trick is to time reaching the prison maze so that this enemy doesn't show up. A few other enemies will also appear in the main hall. A corridor leads to the prison and is also guarded.

Prison maze:

As soon as you enter it, a timer turns on. The prisoners are distributed in cages. If you don't succeed in freeing them within the time limit, the maze restarts and you get some more time. Leaving without completing the quest is not possible. The position of the prisoners is randomly determined at each restart, only the cages stay in the same place. Not all prisoners will survive the escape, maybe none. (Whether or not the game goal is then achieved is an open question).

Dying:

If the hero dies he will be resurrected at the cave entrance in the south-west.

Getting out of the palace again:

(This part of the game is basically not really finished - especially the story line) When all the prisoners have been freed, you can go out through a back exit - or back through the main entrance (plus new enemies). There are also ships in the northeastern harbor, a coast in the east, and an island with treasures. On the river in the south you can take the ships back to the desert.

Test game:

There are four game stages directly accessible via chat command. Important: Type the command AFTER you have selected a hero and BEFORE you have moved him from the starting region!

• "Go to stage 2" This will save you about 30 minutes of game time. The enemies in the desert are dead. You can now play in the water maze and on.
  • "Go to stage 3" This will save you about 50 (30+20) minutes of game time. The enemies in the desert and the water maze are dead. You can now enter the main hall and continue playing.
  • "Go to stage 4" This will save you about 60 (30+20+10) minutes of game time. The enemies in the desert, water maze and palace are dead. You can now play the prisoner maze. The first run through the maze is limited to 5 minutes.
  • "Go to stage 5" This will save you about 65 (30+20+10+5) minutes of play time. The enemies in the desert, water maze and palace are dead. You have freed all the prisoners.

full
full

001-jpg.401507
002-jpg.401506
003-jpg.401505
004-jpg.401504
006-jpg.401502
007-jpg.401501
005-jpg.401503
Contents

The purple Palace (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Can't see what abilities the hero you choose has before choosing. Well, since they are regular Warcraft III ones, it doesn't matter that much. There's no quest/indication what to do from the start. The camera resets slowly and wrongly if you move the...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Can't see what abilities the hero you choose has before choosing. Well, since they are regular Warcraft III ones, it doesn't matter that much.
  2. There's no quest/indication what to do from the start.
  3. The camera resets slowly and wrongly if you move the screen after you choose the hero.
  4. There's fog of war so you kind of have an idea where you're going beforehand.
  5. There's random Inferno meteors falling from the sky, a thing that you have little chance dodging in time if you're fighting or standing rather than being on the move. Many times, a wrong turn might get you hit. Gets a bit better if you get the Boots of Speed.
  6. Can't gain experience from neutral hostile units past level 5.
  7. One of the Wraiths appeared blocked in the arch that had the gate that closed when you got near it. Another stuck in the houses where the zombies are.
While it's a nice concept and all, it's too basic and old school, repetitive.

Substandard.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 6
  1. Can't see what abilities the hero you choose has before choosing. Well, since they are regular Warcraft III ones, it doesn't matter that much.
  2. There's no quest/indication what to do from the start.
  3. The camera resets slowly and wrongly if you move the screen after you choose the hero.
  4. There's fog of war so you kind of have an idea where you're going beforehand.
  5. There's random Inferno meteors falling from the sky, a thing that you have little chance dodging in time if you're fighting or standing rather than being on the move. Many times, a wrong turn might get you hit. Gets a bit better if you get the Boots of Speed.
  6. Can't gain experience from neutral hostile units past level 5.
  7. One of the Wraiths appeared blocked in the arch that had the gate that closed when you got near it. Another stuck in the houses where the zombies are.
Hi!

1) Indeed. But also, this hero choice system is knitted with a hot needle, just for the purpose to make it simple for game testing.
2) Yes. But i guess people are smart start walking and disvover. The meteor keeps you runnin. (yet later, in case i go on with the map, I will do a questmessage, of ocurse, its always a nice thing). I have to admit that I like to keep the players on a long leash in my maps and leave them alone for a bit to look around. Certainly a bit hard to realize as a hobby game designer.
3) I can't see that. Neither the slowyness nor a mistake. After choosing I see a smooth move and the the game screen with the hero which can orderly picked up. Trigger? What can i do?
4) Yes, one can see a bit. Not sure if that is a bad thing. You must wander around anyways, there is also no strict path. If you recommend to change it to unvisibility I do.
5) Yes, it's not easy, that's the idea. I tested different values and found this version now challening but also not impossible. It needs training, and I needed that too. Now I can survive. One can develop a "feeling" for the timing. Believe ne, when you can handle that a bit better it is fun to TRY to let it drop at the enemies in close quarter. But at first I hope the player dies a lot because of that :pir:- the walk in the desert was not meant to be a walk in the park.
6) Yes, that does not make sence. I did that because I remeber that I had something in mind that needed restrictions but forgot about. Its obsolet acutally and in a update i have to change it.
7: Yes, dunno exaclty where you did see them, but its true, they appear at "bad" location and stuck somewhere. Had notice that already but I have not lookedd in into coz its not gamebreaking and happend seldom - but it is somewhere in speculative "to do" list

• How did you manage the first labyrinth with the sea ghosts? It was intended to be not easy.
  • Can you explain more what you mean with "too epetitive" and how it could be done differently in concrete terms?

Thankyou!

oldshool? I am oldshool. What's wrong with oldshool? No respect for traditions? grinz

Last edited: