• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Picture #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always use a skybox, or create gigantous black fogs to hide the back.
That's one suggestion there.
Also the sun ray doesn't come from the sun but from over it, just to mention =D-

And that sun hurts like it was real, lol.

MORE WIPS:
wip_a004.png
wip_a004_jpg.jpg

Level 14
Really impressed by that entry Garshilan, though maybe try and do something different with those awkward sun flares in the bottom left. Other than that it's really creative. Also, I'd keep the sun the way it is, where you can't directly see the sun, rather you see the rays coming from it. This technique fits rather nicely and has a unique feeling to it.

Btw, where did you get those fang-like stones? I've never seen them before.

Hopefully Ill be able to show you guys my first WIP pretty soon! :D

Level 51
Are these trees better?

attachment.php

don't worry, I'll edit them later so there are no floating trees. I just made a basic layout and showed it to you, as I wanted to know if this model fits :)
Also, the placement of the trees is just basic yet. I'll just spammed them until now. Will work on that for shure :)

Attachments

• Bettertre..JPG
    Bettertre..JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 274
Level 12
Well, I kinda struggled with what I wanted to do for this until two nights ago, when I was simultaneously introduced to Terry Gilliam's film Brazil, and the artwork of Zdzislaw Beksinski. After that, this terrain pretty much made itself.

Enjoy! Comments & Criticism always appreciated!

Attachments

• Escape.png
    Escape.png
    984.2 KB · Views: 315
Level 7
Gona add my very early WIP also. Wanted to make an private land where is mansion and forest around.

The Picture III.jpg

Please some comments.

@ Cobra

Idea is nice, but like everybody says, too much rock spam. If you make it less so spam and add some other doodads, then the work may be very good.

Question: May I lower terrain to make lake, or it will be against rules?

Level 12
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with everyone on the idea that the rock "spam" is ugly. I think you're looking for something realistic when the whole idea behind this terrain is that it's not realistic. Try not to think of it as a bunch of doodads, but just a texture for the ground. It's meant to look weird, chaotic, and alien. I know I'm probably not going to convince anyone that it looks good with this post, but I just feel like everyone seems to take it for granted that I would understand why they think the "spam" is ugly, when, in fact, I do not. If someone could explain to me, why you think the rocks are ugly, then I might be willing to change them, but posts that simply say "Those rocks are ugly!" don't particularly make me feel like changing anything. I put those rocks there for a reason, to create atmosphere for the terrain. I think they look good, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to take them out unless I have a bloody good reason to do so.

EDIT: @The_Olorin: You have a good start, there. I like the building. I can't say much about it right now, because I don't know where you want to take it. I do think that the trees in front of the building look a little too bright, but I don't know yet what sort of lighting you're going to use. I don't you're allowed to lower the terrain in this case, though I could be wrong. I'm curious to see what you do next with this terrain. Keep it up!

Level 18
I really think everyone has a right to do the terrain the way he/she wants it. I do agree that the rocks look a bit strange, and i am suggesting that you could add something in to the middle of the pit as i do not like how the rocks look down there, but if you dont feel like changing then dont, it's your terrain not mine.

Also Olorin, i believe lowering it is against the rules

Level 36
I really think everyone has a right to do the terrain the way he/she wants it.

And nobody is neither questioning nor endangering that freedom, they are but merely stating their oppinions and giving suggestions for how to improve said terrain. None of what was stated ever suggested that people shouldn't have the right to create a terrain as they want to create it ;)

Though I do notice some aggression in the previous reviews towards cobra,
try being a little more friendly in your reviews, guys.
Their meant to be helpful, not downgradingly critisising.

Anyways, I like the activity and terrains, keep em comming and work on, you're all doing great :D

Question: May I lower terrain to make lake, or it will be against rules?

This is clearly stated in the rules:

You can, as thus, add and edit as many doodads as you want,
change the sky and fog, edit the tiles, increase the map bounds, but not decrease it.
And change all the ground terrain that is untouched by the host.

And if that isn't clear enough let me shed some more light on it:

You can edit any ground that has the preset "flatness" of the map, in other words, if the ground you want to edit is untouched by the host, then you can change it as much as you want to, and no, I'm not EXTREMELY strict on this one, small edits of what ground is already touched is acceptable.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with everyone on the idea that the rock "spam" is ugly. I think you're looking for something realistic when the whole idea behind this terrain is that it's not realistic. Try not to think of it as a bunch of doodads, but just a texture for the ground. It's meant to look weird, chaotic, and alien. I know I'm probably not going to convince anyone that it looks good with this post, but I just feel like everyone seems to take it for granted that I would understand why they think the "spam" is ugly, when, in fact, I do not. If someone could explain to me, why you think the rocks are ugly, then I might be willing to change them, but posts that simply say "Those rocks are ugly!" don't particularly make me feel like changing anything. I put those rocks there for a reason, to create atmosphere for the terrain. I think they look good, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to take them out unless I have a bloody good reason to do so.
Don't let them get you down Cobra,
I for one love that you're thinking outside the box and dare try something new and creative.

Possibly I would tint the trunks down however, as they're closer to blood red than brown at this point.
I would say a pale, rather dark and gloomy brown could spice things up a bit and make for a more clean transition.

Also, which light enviroment are you going with? I would like to say dungeon but that could be due to the light effects.
Regardless, it looks very profound.
just so you know.... i won't participate if this stays as ugly looking as it currently does, which I assume.
So yeah basically, just so everyone sees that I fail to participate...

attachment.php
If you're not pleased, you could always start over instead of pushing forward with a concept that doesn't suit you.
I however do think this could end up pretty well if you give it some time.

The choice is yours my friend, if you don't enter however I will rip out your adam's apple :3

Level 36
just so you know.... i won't participate if this stays as ugly looking as it currently does, which I assume.
So yeah basically, just so everyone sees that I fail to participate...

attachment.php

The only one able to make this "less" fail, as you so colorfully describe it as, is yourself. Honestly M0rb, grow some balls and stop crying about your terrain, improve it or start over, simple as that. ;)

The choice is yours my friend, if you don't enter however I will rip out your adam's apple :3

Ho ha, hachi-ha. :p

Level 18
The only one able to make this "less" fail, as you so colorfully describe it as, is yourself. Honestly M0rb, grow some balls and stop crying about your terrain, improve it or start over, simple as that. ;)

Got to agree with Keiji and as a Terrain Mod you need to show people you pwn the shit out of terraining (just as you pwned me xD) what im trying to say is just retry and make it look awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.