• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Picture #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Fladder I like your terrain but there is one huge problem.

The varity of doodad quality. Usually I have nothing against using hq models and wc3 models together, but you did it in a way it stands out too much. You also combined hq models from TOTALLY different settings, making it look even more strange. Let's see:

Red: Two totally different settings behind each other. The orange of the roof and the blue walls just... look so off behind those REALLY high quality trees, with the blend effect and stuff.

Black: There are plain hills there, fill it up with sth.

Yellow: Again, the doodads don't fit together at all. High quality, realistic tiles, with wc3 cartoony barrels, a brown well and those crates. IMO, only the crates match the style of the natural enviroment, the rest is off.

Edit: Stryder, I really love it now! :)

Blue: Again, the quality difference seems to big. The good looking trees and the walls, and then ugly pixalated statues and columns, do sth about them atleast.

Green: Pretty much the same as red.

I also really think you should remove those chain-fence thingies (I belive they are named northrend fence or something in UTM. The are too dark and don't fit the style of the rest of the buildings/Bridges.

If I were you, I'd rather focus on one style. Realisitic high quality (like the tileset,the bridge, the fauna) or wc3 style (the buildings in the background, columns and so on).

But that's just in my opinion.

Edit: Oh and stryder, I love it now! :)

Attachments

• terainfladder.PNG
    terainfladder.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 175

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Hrm. I think the scaling helps volumes with the LQ models I'm using; scaled down it doesn't look so bad. And the building textures are actually pretty good in my eyes. The black circling is a bit misleading, because, well, you didn't circle any hills. If you mean the background, those are mountains, and you shouldn't be unfamiliar with leaving them blank to give them that far away feeling.

So thanks for the critique, but I think I'll keep it the way it is.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm almost done with school. Have patience Keiji. I'll make a proper return by the end of the week.

Level 36
so, may I join?

Yes, you can join, and no you don't need my permission.

!!!!

Also, sigelang, while personally I have no problems with the usage of wow models in a terrain, I would advice against it, simply for convenience sake. See, rules of the contest states:

- Import whatever public resourse you find, given that if it is not from The Hive or Wc3c.net you will need to provide a link. -

Which, considering those WoW models, means you'll have to provide a link to whatever site you got that/those doodads from, cause you sure as shit didn't find wow rips on the hive or wc3c. And that, I guess, to a certain degree could conflict with the site rules... Linking to a site that performs "illegal" business.
- I really didn't mean for it to be like this, but I'm also not the law-maker of this site.

Level 36
If you mean by the water tool in the terrain pallet, then no.
If you mean by adding a water plane doodad anywhere on the map, sure.

Now, go read the rules instead of haggling me with such questions, they should be clear enough, and if there still happen to be something you're not sure about.. Then I guess you're entitled to post the question.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I don't think you've understood the rules completely. You are NOT allowed to change the height levels or remove the doodads already placed in the provided map. you are only allowed to add to the map, regardless whether it is doodads or tiles.

Level 36
Argh, well fuck me, I really surprisingly didn't notice that little detail at all.
- I'm such a professional.

And yeah, sigelang, you're supposed to download the map from the link
in the main post and follow the rules stated, which is best summed up like
DSgamer put it, now... Get to it!

Level 36
Deadline: Whenever I see fit, it's pretty much an open contest.

If I got a penny for every time I've quoted myself in this thread...
- I'd still be a poor fuck, but I'm stating a point here. (A sneaky one.)

Basically, the contest is over whenever I get arsed to set a deadline,
which basically is when I think there's enough entries to set a deadline,
which is to say; There's very likely some time to go. ----- DEADLINE,
- You're dead, line.

Level 2
Hmmm i want to give it a try too.
Except that i have a little problem i can't view as far in the distance as in all the posted images so far can anyone help me with that? probably just some option that i missed.

Edit: Great, thank you Keiji :D

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Off to a nice start. I like the idea of using the ledge for a docking zone. The only thing making it falf apart is the overscaled fortress bridge; try constructing something on your own with some smoother textures.

Oh and while it's not so horrible now, those trees will come back to haunt you when you place more of them. Try a different pine model.

Level 16
If I got a penny for every time I've quoted myself in this thread...
- I'd still be a poor fuck, but I'm stating a point here. (A sneaky one.)

Challenge accepted! :ogre_icwydt:

You're not allowed to:

- Use any other camera than "The Picture" nor can you change any settings on the camera, or alter it's position -
- Change anything physical already in the map: Doodads and terrain alike -
- Edit the terrain in any other way with any kind of Photoshop programs in no other way than just to add a small signature to your terrain -

In this thread, as an attachment.

"The Picture" is a contest for all terrainers

Yes, you can join, and no you don't need my permission.

- Import whatever public resourse you find, given that if it is not from The Hive or Wc3c.net you will need to provide a link. -

Deadline: Whenever I see fit, it's pretty much an open contest.
HA! If you think 6 pennies are gonna make you rich, you are sadly mistaken!
*note* do not mistake pennies with penis.
On the other hand, you got a problem quoting yourself, brah. :ogre_hurrhurr:

On topic - Nice terrains!

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm really surprised nobody has though of using the MAT yet. Guess I'll be doing it ^_^.

Level 2
Another update, resized the bridge( I like the model too much to replace it :wink:)
Changed the trees like fladder suggested, looks way better now IMHO.
And added some details here and there.
Still no clue what to do with the back part tho :S

EDIT: i just noticed the waterfall looks strange after resizing a few things.

Another edit:
Changed pretty much the entire left part, remade the whole quarry/mine. and finally removed the bridge:grin:

Attachments

• Thepic5.1.jpg
    Thepic5.1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • Thepic5.2.jpg
    Thepic5.2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Level 4
-Added Some Tree
-Added Eredar Female
-Added Dead Wolves
-Added Squirrel
-etc

Note: Actually, the Place where Kil'Jaeden is, was another dimension, this means, you must do a ritual to summon the portal. Those who don't pass the gate can't see everything happened in the other side.

(Sorry for bad English)

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 150
^ Use Deathwoods tree
Why you have included those cowards? I guess you need to remove them.
And
Stones are stretched i guess

And , use only burned doodads like burned trees , destroyed doodads and whatever ,

EDIT: Remove the Blood Models , just import the texture and use it as UBERSPLAT}

Attachments

• DW.7z
    44.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.