• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Picture, take 6!

Level 15
Final Entry
final.png

Models used:

Moon by Thrikodius
Sylvanas Statue by vindorei
QM Human Props by jixed (Arch and Round base)
Lots of Decorations 2 by Mr. smite (stone floors)
Cityscape Doodad Pack by HL_Vortex (Stairs and Stone Fence)
Glows and Shadows provided by Feelsgoodman demo maps.

Attachments

• The Picture 6b.w3x
    11 MB · Views: 2
Level 6
Thank you mate for spoting it. It was not floating, it was set with rare degree. I have reworked that wall and added some shadows to improve the "penumbra"

Final Pre-Entry (2nd)
Much better indeed :grin:

Models used:

Moon by Thrikodius
Sylvanas Statue by vindorei
QM Human Props by jixed (Arch and Round base)
Lots of Decorations 2 by Mr. smite (stone floors)
Cityscape Doodad Pack by HL_Vortex (Stairs and Stone Fence)
Glows and Shadows provided by Feelsgoodman demo maps.

Thx ! :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Hey everyone! I'm new here and I've never publicly shared my WE works online (was treating it like a presonal hobby), but I couldn't resist this contest :^)

Since my time was limited, I decided to stick to SD vanilla style with zero imports. The theme I chose was inspired by Firewatch and slowly it evolved into an autumn forest in its transition phase with all kinds of colors represented. Hope you enjoy :wwink:

WIP 1.png
- started off with outlining basic shape of terrain with trees, some basic ground texturing and fog settings to get the "Firewatch" vibe

WIP 2.png
- the first iteration looked too monochrome and that's when the idea of an autumn forest in transition period came to me, so I started adding some green elements

WIP 3.png
- adding more details as well as changing some trees here and there to make it more diverse in terms of shapes and colors, also rotated that log on the left so it hangs above the road and it turned out quite nice, I suppose

WIP 5.png
- even more details, minor tweaks and adjustments. Also added a total of 6 animals, dare you to find them all :wgrin:

Current WIP 4 can be considered my final entry, unless I make more changes this weekend (in which case I'll update this post)
Also any advice/opinions from other terrainers are welcome!

FINAL UPDATE

WIP 10.png

The more I tried to introduce big changes, the more I realized that I was quite satisfied with current state of the map and didn't feel like drastically changing it (like adding a whole forest cave entrance or something like that). Thus, the final package is not very different from the previous WIP - I added a lone birb, bunch of autumn leaves and more bushes, trees, rocks, etc. I think, it's the most I can currently do with the self-imposed challenge of not using a single imported file

Attached map was updated to match the final version

Attachments

• The Picture 6 - glorioispoppy.w3m
    290 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Also added a total of 6 animals, dare you to find them all
2 elks, 3 frogs and a lousy wolf which can be confused with a rock. It doesn't look like it's prowling for the hunt. It doesn't look like anything really, not even an animal. I eventually recognized it as a wolf since I know the model, hue and texture.

Level 4
2 elks, 3 frogs and a lousy wolf which can be confused with a rock. It doesn't look like it's prowling for the hunt. It doesn't look like anything really, not even an animal. I eventually recognized it as a wolf since I know the model, hue and texture.
Precisely!
Wolf was added more as an easter egg and his resemblance with nearby rocks is expected. He is hiding in the grass, hunting the elk, which is supposed to create this "funny" tension - once you find it, you start worrying about elk's well-being. Well, at least that's how I perceive it. But again, it's not supposed to be a major detail, more like a joke.

Level 4
Meant to mess around with this earlier but didn't get around to it until today and now Super Earth needs me so this is where it ends. I went into this without a vision intending to import models but ended up enjoying using vanilla assets. I'm 50/50 with what I've made up to this point and I mean that fairly literally, I like the right half and dislike the left (Minus the spider cave).
Screenshot 2024-04-20 212916.png

Level 36
One week then.

But only for those who are already participating to finish up their entries, no new entries will be accepted during this time.

Also, I'd appreciate if anyone decide to update their submission: Please edit your "final entry" post instead of posting a new one, I've already made an index with hyperlinks to all the submissions, I'd hate to have to redo that.

There are currently more or less 20 entries, I'm completely blown away (and slightly overwhelmed) by this!

Last edited:
Level 4
One week then.
[...]
Also, I'd appreciate if anyone decide to update their submission: Please edit your "final entry" post
Presented my final in the same post where I submitted my valid WIPs! All sectioned under appropriate spoilers. Lmk if I ought to make a new post specifically for the final, instead. Also... thanks for the extra time! :p

Level 36
Well, so long as the contest was ongoing, I'd have preferred people to post their WIPs and final entries in separate posts, this helps with activity and keeps the contest thread fresh. However, as I stated in my previous post, now that I've made an index with links to each post containing a final entry (or final WIP), I'd prefer not having to redo the index, so I'd appreciate if you updated that post instead at this point.

Also, fair warning: Although I'll give everyone who participated scores and a fair chance for the podium, I'll only provide a written "review" for those who made a proper final entry.

Level 11
Well, so long as the contest was ongoing, I'd have preferred people to post their WIPs and final entries in separate posts, this helps with activity and keeps the contest thread fresh. However, as I stated in my previous post, now that I've made an index with links to each post containing a final entry (or final WIP), I'd prefer not having to redo the index, so I'd appreciate if you updated that post instead at this point.

Also, fair warning: Although I'll give everyone who participated scores and a fair chance for the podium, I'll only provide a written "review" for those who made a proper final entry.
Ohh I didn't know.

Sorry, I should have thought a clean post with the final entry was the best presentation form, I kind of rushed because of lack of time T_T
I'll edit my entry to be more fancy and I'll have this on mind for the next entry t.t