1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Picture #3

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Keiji, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Have to agree with Oziris there.
    That sure is a rock spam, add some unique spots or enlarge areas in there, perhaps do some hills or something with doodads, structures would be aswell.

Make that crypt a liiiittle more visible also.

2. The_Olorin

The_Olorin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gona add my very early WIP also. Wanted to make an private land where is mansion and forest around.

The Picture III.jpg

Please some comments.

@ Cobra

Idea is nice, but like everybody says, too much rock spam. If you make it less so spam and add some other doodads, then the work may be very good.

Question: May I lower terrain to make lake, or it will be against rules?

3. CoBrA b

CoBrA b

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with everyone on the idea that the rock "spam" is ugly. I think you're looking for something realistic when the whole idea behind this terrain is that it's not realistic. Try not to think of it as a bunch of doodads, but just a texture for the ground. It's meant to look weird, chaotic, and alien. I know I'm probably not going to convince anyone that it looks good with this post, but I just feel like everyone seems to take it for granted that I would understand why they think the "spam" is ugly, when, in fact, I do not. If someone could explain to me, why you think the rocks are ugly, then I might be willing to change them, but posts that simply say "Those rocks are ugly!" don't particularly make me feel like changing anything. I put those rocks there for a reason, to create atmosphere for the terrain. I think they look good, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to take them out unless I have a bloody good reason to do so.

EDIT: @The_Olorin: You have a good start, there. I like the building. I can't say much about it right now, because I don't know where you want to take it. I do think that the trees in front of the building look a little too bright, but I don't know yet what sort of lighting you're going to use. I don't you're allowed to lower the terrain in this case, though I could be wrong. I'm curious to see what you do next with this terrain. Keep it up!

4. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I really think everyone has a right to do the terrain the way he/she wants it. I do agree that the rocks look a bit strange, and i am suggesting that you could add something in to the middle of the pit as i do not like how the rocks look down there, but if you dont feel like changing then dont, it's your terrain not mine.

Also Olorin, i believe lowering it is against the rules

5. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My next WIP! :p

Attached Files:

6. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cheers for the castle

7. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And nobody is neither questioning nor endangering that freedom, they are but merely stating their oppinions and giving suggestions for how to improve said terrain. None of what was stated ever suggested that people shouldn't have the right to create a terrain as they want to create it ;)

Though I do notice some aggression in the previous reviews towards cobra,
    try being a little more friendly in your reviews, guys.
    Their meant to be helpful, not downgradingly critisising.

Anyways, I like the activity and terrains, keep em comming and work on, you're all doing great :D

This is clearly stated in the rules:

And if that isn't clear enough let me shed some more light on it:

You can edit any ground that has the preset "flatness" of the map, in other words, if the ground you want to edit is untouched by the host, then you can change it as much as you want to, and no, I'm not EXTREMELY strict on this one, small edits of what ground is already touched is acceptable.

8. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    just so you know.... i won't participate if this stays as ugly looking as it currently does, which I assume.
    So yeah basically, just so everyone sees that I fail to participate...

Show epic failure
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Morbid that looks great but it's just that the head isn't looking right! The head misses some fleshy parts! And the leg's position could be a bit better. It looks weird now and it's paw should be on the ground with some sexy black steel armour. Can't wait to see some wings on that death wing! ;)

10. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't let them get you down Cobra,
    I for one love that you're thinking outside the box and dare try something new and creative.

Possibly I would tint the trunks down however, as they're closer to blood red than brown at this point.
    I would say a pale, rather dark and gloomy brown could spice things up a bit and make for a more clean transition.

Also, which light enviroment are you going with? I would like to say dungeon but that could be due to the light effects.
    Regardless, it looks very profound.
    If you're not pleased, you could always start over instead of pushing forward with a concept that doesn't suit you.
    I however do think this could end up pretty well if you give it some time.

The choice is yours my friend, if you don't enter however I will rip out your adam's apple :3

11. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The only one able to make this "less" fail, as you so colorfully describe it as, is yourself. Honestly M0rb, grow some balls and stop crying about your terrain, improve it or start over, simple as that. ;)

Ho ha, hachi-ha. :p

12. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Got to agree with Keiji and as a Terrain Mod you need to show people you pwn the shit out of terraining (just as you pwned me xD) what im trying to say is just retry and make it look awesome.

13. The_Olorin

The_Olorin

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks Keiji for clearing that rule.

@ CoBra b

Well you convinced me. I see that it is artisic and it dosent look bad at all, but as terrainer i just dont like spam.
    So i say: Nice work!

14. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hmm... Haven't updated my terrain for some time now, I'll be uploading yet another wip soon.. If I just get the inspiration to do it.

15. johannesr

johannesr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This will probably be my entry, if i don't want to make any changes. Also this is my second underwater terrain ever (first one was a big fail lol)

Attached Files:

16. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Okay, got something done to the terrain, Don't really know where I got the inspiration to do what I did.

EDIT: Johan, do some edit to it~ It looks boring at this moment.

Attached Files:

17. johannesr

johannesr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm i might do some light effects on it tomorrow

18. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hrhrmmr... I think that's about it then.
    Bigger Image
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  19. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here's my latest version. Now all I need to do is add some lighting and I'll be polishing from then. :)

Attached Files:

20. Bernkastel

Bernkastel

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Vewy naif :3