• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Picture #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
thepicturetruelogo.png

Welcome to the third round of The Picture, an unofficial contest hosted by the terrainers simply to challenge and improve the skills of our beloved community of artists. The Picture have been portrayed in different forms and from different people in the past, first time ever by me as in true spirit, an unofficial contest, then by ~Void~, that times moderator, which was a huge success, not long ago I, in my time as moderator, hosted a mini-contest with this strange formula as the theme, and now I am bringing my baby back to where it belongs: Down to earth fun challange for all terrainers to take part in.

The Rules:

# You can not change anything already present in the map provided:

- You will be provided a map for download as an attachment to this post,
this map has a preset camera and terrain objects,
you can not alter these and you have to use the preset camera for your terrain.

# You can add anything you want into the terrain:

- The challange of this contest is to use the already preset camera and terrain object,
together with doodads of your choice and terrain of your choice where the terrain have not already been edited,
to make it unique and good looking. You can, as thus, add and edit as many doodads as you want,
change the sky and fog, edit the tiles, increase the map bounds, but not decrease it.
And change all the ground terrain that is untouched by the host.

Judgement:

- The terrains will be judged by the provided host when the set finish date have persisted, he will also announce the winner.

Date:

This contest will be ending at the date of March the first/01.03.11/dd.mm.yy

Good luck to anyone participating! :)
Oh and; Remember... This - is The Picture!

terrainjury.png

Attachments

• The Picture 3.w3x
    9.3 MB · Views: 172
  • The Picture 3.jpg
    The Picture 3.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Hmm I guess I could give it a go.
Sounds rather interesting, to be honest.

Just to make things a lil' clearer here I got few questions;
- Is the fog allowed to be editable, also what about the sky?
- I believe modifying the terrain map is not allowed?
- Also, what about global terrain lightning?
- Tilesets are editable if I am not wrong?

Level 36
Hmm I guess I could give it a go.
Sounds rather interesting, to be honest.

Just to make things a lil' clearer here I got few questions;
- Is the fog allowed to be editable, also what about the sky?
- I believe modifying the terrain map is not allowed?
- Also, what about global terrain lightning?
- Tilesets are editable if I am not wrong?

Ah yes, I will update the main thread to clarify these, how could I forget...

Anyways:

Yes, you can edit the fog and sky.
In terms of making it larger, you can, but not smaller.
I guess global terrain lighting is edable.
Of course you can edit the tile sets.

And no L2Love.

Though I will consider doing a blank map with no imports on it for the next round, if anyone else favors that.
(Would also spare me HELL of a lot uploading time.)

Level 3
Hey i got a question, since you listed 'You can, as thus, add and edit as many doodads as you want', is unit considered a doodad?? Let give a example.., let say i want to add a Footman, is it necessary to change it and classify it into doodad or no need?

Sorry if it is a silly question, i just want to confirm it. Thanks in advance.

Level 36
No need, I honestly didn't think that would be a problem, seeing as I can't fathom the idea of having units in a terrain, and even IF one wants to have a unit in a terrain, one can do so much more to that unit if it is set as a doodad... But yeah, you dont need to clarify anything of that, or change it into a doodad if you for some wild reason want it to be a unit.

There are some nice models in that UTM. :D

Oh and yeah, there might be some... Abnormal doodads in the import section, seeing as I used the UTM before as my main terraining pallet,
Just importing everything I wanted for each terrain and saving it as I went on. Now I've started another idea of just importing all the models
really like into one map, so that kind of out-dates this one, but still, you might get some founds here.

Level 6
this is worth a shot, I already have a nice idea on what to create here :p

Edit: my editor keeps crashing when I try to open a map, so doesn't seem like I can join this...

Level 36
Ah yes, you will find nearly all the doodads I am using on a regulare scale to always have the max and min scaling set to... Well, the max and the min scaling. Cause I, like I reccon all true terrainers should, disable the random scale and manually scale each doodad, this gives me the freedom to have the doodads just as I want them to be, and give me much more control of how my doodads will look in the end. To some this might appear to be tedious, but making terrains of quality IS tedious, at times.

Level 18
I wish i'd remember to save, i guess i have to put autosave on... As i just got a nice knockback, i was about to post a wip. And then i started to play with clouds. And BANG, nearly all over again.. <.< Well.. I 'm going to add it to this post a bit later then..

EDIT: This shall be the very first wip i am going to show, it's rather messy, but cant help it. Also i got to find some other doodads to be used for some parts as it looks pretty much like spamming the same ones, adding custom textures aint allowed. Right?
145260-albums2129-picture41659.png

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Well as it is counted as terraining everyone is free to do so.
I know there is no rule against it, it still isn't really necessary to do it just because you are free to do so?
It doesn't really say anything about your terrain, and it's tiresome to have 80 pages of information just because everyone posts WIPs every 2 seconds.

But meh, if that floats your boat then by all means.

Level 23
I know there is no rule against it, it still isn't really necessary to do it just because you are free to do so?
It doesn't really say anything about your terrain, and it's tiresome to have 80 pages of information just because everyone posts WIPs every 2 seconds.

This...

And also, I use this post to subscribe. I really hope I can give this a shot, but I also fear I won't have the time to show you something :/

Level 36

I don't honestly see how that is such a bad thing.

The WIP's are looking good folks, keep it up.
- Hope to see some more terrainers join in on the fray ;)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I don't honestly see how that is such a bad thing.

The WIP's are looking good folks, keep it up.
- Hope to see some more terrainers join in on the fray ;)
Showing a WIP where you've only slightly altered the tiles without any substance to it doesn't suffice as a WIP I'd say.
And as stated, it's annoying when you have a whole bunch of pages later on if say you'd like to find a specific post.

But sure, if people find that compelling then nevermind me.

Well you might be a little true there Flad, seeing that we only SKIN the terrain~
If it was that we created the terrain and SKINNED it, then it would've been proper WIP.

Because adjusting tileset is skinning the terrain.

Double Post:
Made some new theme to my terrain, decided to use Models instead of spamming grass and other.
Everything is rather big but that really doesn't matter hmm?

Tha' bug is solved:
As you might of have noticed, the JPEG version of the picture looks better.
I have no idea why my PNG's look so friggen' crappy nowadays, but definitely JPEG is better for pictures now.
( Before PNG was better than JPEG, it's like they've switched )

Oh well, Guess it's on the lookers eye on which is better, JPEG or PNG.
I'll be posting both JPEG and PNG in the future.

Triple Post:
Worked a little with the atmosphere~ Hope ya'll like it.
( Yes the background still lacks detil just wanted to test what kind of atmosphere I could create. )

Attachments

• wip_0002.png
    wip_0002.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 132
  • wip_0002_jpg.jpg
    wip_0002_jpg.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 131
  • wip_0003.png
    wip_0003.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 133
  • wip_0003_jpg.jpg
    wip_0003_jpg.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Level 18
Brhhrr...... Well.. Here's as far as i've got it's not that different from the last one. But here i ran in to a problem, as there's this end of the world in the left corner, i am curious that as the map is flat from the most of the parts, are you allowed to modify the ground back there? If not, then i'd like to have suggestions what to do with this end of the world. Also i didnt want to use that black fog model as it kind of ignored all the lighting there was in the picture.

View attachment 97688

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The rays are oddly angled, looks as if there's two light sources.
And I do believe you can alter the background, however as I'm not completely certain I'd wait for Keiji's response.

Looking interesting so far Garshilan, I'll be observing how this progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.