• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mini Contest] The Picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
And the judgement is.

Racziel

- Well well, this isnt really all new to you is it? I remember you previewed a terrain much like this for some playable terrain some time ago, I think. But it is proven time upon time that making a desert with the wc3 engine seems… futile. It just cant look good, that means DESERT deserts, not barren wastelands. Anyways, everything in your terrain looks rather decent, the sky, the sun, the ruins and so forth… I do have to note, however, that those roads stick out a bit much, maybe even a bit too much. (6.5/10)

M0rbid

- Nice looking, and a very appealing terrain. You pulled the ruins off my mixing in some rocks that have somewhat the same color as the pillars, a good chess move right tere. However, your terrain ends quite abruptly, like in that there seems to be no depth in it, just forest and then nothing. And the large white blob, which surely is meant to be a sun, in the right corner, looks rather distasteful. (6.5/10)

Archipelago

- Inventive! No? Well… This idea has been done at least three times before, and the whole portal terrains are getting old. But you did a well execution, the portals do look real, and I love that palm tree sticking out from its portal, not to mention the rain effect. I also love that little detail on the right side with the rocks and tree atop some plateau of pillars. The nature looks decent enough, except for a green fern here and there which seems to not fit in at all. HOWEVER, there is a large factor that ruins much of the terrain; and that is the background. That purple fog thing you tried making doesn’t look good at all, and by far not realistic. The starts look like their really snow, or snow that really looks like stars, I cant really decide. And the moon looks somewhat out of place. Overall, a good terrain, though. (7.5/10)

Chaos.

- Damn shame you didn’t finish this terrain, it could’ve been a beast, literally. But back to reviewing the terrain; I love that sunset, and I cant say it enough, I love the idea of the lava cracks, and I WILL steal the idea for upcoming terrains of my own, I assure you . But that sun is FAR too unrealistically big. There is also a bit too much grass spam on the ground, and those dragon statues, while they do look quite good, they also look unfinished, which isn’t a good point. Overall, it is nice to look and a great terrain, apart from the mentioned I love it. (8.5)

Teuncreemers

- Random and contrast seems to be two of the main words of your idea. While your terrain does indeed look inventive enough, to say the least. There are some flaws that drag it significantly downwards. Firstly there is no fog, I mean come on! Every good terrain have a fog, its essential for the good look in general. And that added stone texture at the back of the picture looks… stretched, and horrible, it was better without it in the first place. It should be added though, that I like the idea with those trees growing on top of round floating boulders, and that waterfall idea, nice touches. (6/10)

Koeky

- This is fairly decent. The sun could’ve been done better, by using the fog doodad I am more than certain you could have made it look more realistic, the ruins look unfinished at about every turn, and some places they don’t look too good. (the other pair of stairs) And those Sunken Ruins tiles do not quite fit with the barrens desert you’ve made. Doodad placement seems good enough, could’ve used some more details though. (5/10)

CoBrA b

- This is a very nice terrain, I like the sun, and the rays coming from it. It MIGHT just be a bit too intense though, but hey, the sun never was easy to look at eh? :p I also like most of the nature, the forest, tiles and small doodads used. However, that ruin at the center looks, disturbing, its hard to make out the details, and the details themselves doesn’t look all that good, you might want to find something else to make constructions of than the statue doodad ;) And I don’t even get why you used those Sunken Ruin obelisks at the two hills, they look really out of place. Overall, however, it looks nice and is calming to look at. (8/10)

WherewolfTherewolf

- An underwater ruin terrain, never seen that one before, anyways, lets get on with the review. You managed to pull the moria ruins mixed with sunken ruin doodads quite well, exept that one hill where you simply added a plateau on top of the four pillars, which does not look too good. It also looks weird that the tiles that are meant to be bricks, are placed on the side of hills and so forth, thinking they were human(oid) made, would any humans(oids) place bricks like that? The fog could be thicker, and in underwater terrains the blue fog should cover the entire screen and be very dense, not to mention that those bubbles DO look like smileys. (6.5/10)

sadvisor

- This LOOKED very promising, right up till the point where I realized that it wouldn’t get completed beforte this contest ended, which is a shame. For the complete parts, lighting and the background, I have to say looks VERY good. I just love that sun in the middle of the pillars, and how it looks extremely realistic. The background also looks like the outskirts of a city or something, good enough. However, the tiles doesn’t fit with one another, and there is barely anything at all in the foreground, save for a house, some trees and a selection circle >.> (4.5/10)

Lexandritte

- This idea seems nice, and the way you chose to use the moria doodads was creative, for a start. But this never got updated, which much as the previous one, is a disappointment. There is FAR too much grass spam, the fog doesn’t fit with the sky, and the entire pic itself seems like it is ending abruptly, like very known “end of the world” thing. And… I don’t really got anything more to say. (5/10)

First place: Chaos.
Second place: Cobra B
Third Place: Archipelago

Last edited:
Level 19
Keiji said:
Teuncreemers

- Random and contrast seems to be two of the main words of your idea. While your terrain does indeed look inventive enough, to say the least. There are some flaws that drag it significantly downwards. Firstly there is no fog, I mean come on! Every good terrain have a fog, its essential for the good look in general. And that added stone texture at the back of the picture looks… stretched, and horrible, it was better without it in the first place. It should be added though, that I like the idea with those trees growing on top of round floating boulders, and that waterfall idea, nice touches. (6/10)

Hmm about the 1st point (fog part). I always have fitting fogs in my terrain. The problem (that makes logic sence) is when there's actually a large distance between doodads the doodads that are really far away will have a stronger fog colour then the ones in the front totally ruining my entire idea then. So about the fog. It was impossible to get a fitting fog. I had to use really large values for the fog end.
About the 2nd point (stretched rock part). I have no idea which stretched rock you're talking about. I suppose it's the "Underground Dome" effect you're referring to?
And random seems to be one of my words for the idea? Well thank you :sigh:...

I can say I didn't really do my best for this because I never really liked terraining for just a picture and I'm more a mapmaker then a terrainmaker but well I think your judgement isn't good at all. I agree with the winners though and I agree with the 6/10 but your comment made even less sence then my terrain:)
I suppose this isn't really my thing, to do a contest with 1 single judge withoud a public poll. But now I know that for the future;-)

Level 36
Heyo, you didn't judge my screenshot!!

M0rbid

- Nice looking, and a very appealing terrain. You pulled the ruins off my mixing in some rocks that have somewhat the same color as the pillars, a good chess move right tere. However, your terrain ends quite abruptly, like in that there seems to be no depth in it, just forest and then nothing. And the large white blob, which surely is meant to be a sun, in the right corner, looks rather distasteful. (6.5/10)

Say what? :p

And when it comes to you Teucreemers.

When it comes to fog, there are multiple ways of going about this problem you are referring too, firstly, as you mentioned, you can have it set to a high number, however this is not the best way of doing it, another idea might have been to use the "Zstart" instead of the "zend" to make the fog appear only at the front, so that it would cover the doodads in front, and then the doodads at the back would kind of follow that idea, or something along those lines. However, the third and best way of going about it is to use the Fog doodad, and place it out to become a fog.

If that is the underground dome, then yes, that is what I was referring too, and yes it does look streched, and makes the terrain look worse than it could have looked.
And "random" is not a negative word >.> Or was at least never meant as negative on my part, with random I simply meant that you went for a rather abstract and unusual idea, and made it look somewhat good. I am sorry if you mistook my meaning for something else.

And you knew what you were heading into from the very beginning, and if you didn't know that it was a contest containing only one judge, and no public poll. It was clearly stated in the main post from the very beginning, then I proclaim it is your own fault that you got disappointed with this midway in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.