• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #10 - Arcane

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
got sick of my Arcanist, so after several other attempts, settled on this one - the Wretched Magister.

Wretched in WoW are High/Blood Elves that have succumbed to their addiction for magic.

Attachments

• Wretched Magister.jpg
    Wretched Magister.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 959
Level 14
While that looks awesome, it uh, well... Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. The theme sucks, so trying to fit anything to the theme is almost impossible. Let's just say it's arcane so you can stop making new textures for the contest. :p

Anyways, I'll nitpick, since some areas do look bad. No eyebrows? Totally ruins the portrait on the blood mage. He's also an awfully dark texture and the cape looks a bit out of place. The folds on it seem unnatural and too detailed for the in-game perspective. Also, the belt looks boring, he needs some boots, and his upper legs look totally out of place with the random neutral coloring. The crystals on the cape should also go the wayside, they just don't look good. At all. If you want to try something similar, maybe go for some orbs as opposed to crystals. Would look even cooler if you followed through the whole texture with 'em, maybe give it some unity. (It's currently lacking)

Otherwise, as ever, the quality is there.

Level 14
It's okay, Dio, the blood mage model is overused and long since boring. I'm getting tired of the "I don't know what to texture, so let's make it a blood mage!" philosophy. Heck, I'd vote for Ike right now before anyone else just because he made an attempt at something people normally wouldn't use.

Level 45
It's okay, Dio, the blood mage model is overused and long since boring. I'm getting tired of the "I don't know what to texture, so let's make it a blood mage!" philosophy. Heck, I'd vote for Ike right now before anyone else just because he made an attempt at something people normally wouldn't use.
I was thinking of doing a texture for the Skeleton Mage, but I can't think of ideas arcane-related.

Level 14
The skeleton mage is pretty fail as a model, though. If you want to do something cool with a skeletal figure, do it with the Lich. Not only is it a better model with a better wrap, it's more visible and has hero glow, so everything looks better on it. Any idea you had for the skeletal mage would look better on the Lich anyways.

Also, Combat, it helps if you attach an image to your post.

Level 14
Minor update. I have been trying to get some perspective on this. The wrap is weird. Large chunks of the texture are used by different areas of the model. And I am bored. So work has been slow :p

Attachments

• WIP2PIC.JPG
    WIP2PIC.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 214
  • WIP2ingame.JPG
    WIP2ingame.JPG
    977.6 KB · Views: 204
  • WIP2UW.jpg
    WIP2UW.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 201
Level 26
I officially declare the Obsidian Statue wrap ghey. It is so very ghey...

Back to the Revenant I go...

Denu, I love the depth of those runy things. The crystal bits look nice, but they look like pink versions of the original texture.

Attachments

• nananana.JPG
    nananana.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 201
@Famous: Nope, 256 res. 512 is terrible for ingame and 1024 is too clunky and takes up too much time :p

I've been working in 256 res since early last year, it keeps detail the best. Trick is to use very small brushes and smart sharpen at about 50% of a normal sharpen.

Thx 4 the tip!
but how can i change the res (in photoshop)?

wip 1 ?

Attachments

• Emo arcane beastmaster.jpg
    Emo arcane beastmaster.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Level 14
Let's just settle ourselves in the knowledge that arcane is too vague to really mean anything at all. Shit, a theme of "purple" would be more valuable than "arcane." If someone wants to interpret "arcane" as the result of failed arcane magicks backfiring and scarring a person drastically, then so be it.

I think it turned out good, Dio, I particularly like the cape and the face. However, I find the legs to be very dull, they're too flat and need some love. Just look at it wrapped, it's too flat of a brown. I say that leg with the bandages would look great were it fully bandaged up the entire leg. The other one would look good with more of those dark brown spots (holes?) on it. Gives it some well-needed diversity and detail without overdoing it.

Level 14
Dionesiist said:
Added more bandages to the right leg and some burns on the left.
Lookin' much better. I particularly like that the crotch guard appears to be seared into her body, it's a nice touch. There's still a bit of flatness in the stomach area, but why don't we get an in-game view? It might not be noticeable -- Or it may be that adding more detail could result in it blurring up. Can't tell from that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.