• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #10 - Arcane

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
@Famous: Nope, 256 res. 512 is terrible for ingame and 1024 is too clunky and takes up too much time :p

I've been working in 256 res since early last year, it keeps detail the best. Trick is to use very small brushes and smart sharpen at about 50% of a normal sharpen.

Here's my unwrap:

Attachments

• ArcanistWrap.jpg
    ArcanistWrap.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 193
Level 8
Looking good Dionesiist, but perhaps you should add something to the cape... some magical gemstones, or runes, or just something light blue, to match the shoulder pads (though, then you'll need to repaint the yellow lower part of the cape in light blue also).

Level 18
I believe if you use the alpha channle and use a color fairly close to white you can make the skin semi transparent. It gives it a purplish hue though.

Denu is correct everyone
If you want anything to have a crystal effect that is not a teamcolor area
Simply set the alpha channel to a light shade of gray and viola
You have a semi transparent area on the skin

AR- loving it can't wait to see the final
Dio- pure awesomeness, however can I see a face closeup
mark- I wanna see what comes of that, very interesting
Lookin good people

It can. But try to stay around that purple and blue colour scheme. For example Warlocks, Druids, Shamans, etc all use some form of 'magical' energies but would not necessarily fit into this theme.

Which brings me to my critique for Famous. I like your skin very much, but I think you should make those yellow markings blue or purple to give it a more arcane feel.

Level 14
AR, it looks like you're incredibly uninspired. You've managed to create a generic mage with way too many black lines on his beard. It distracts entirely from the rest of the texture and in general looks outright bad. The armor looks generic and purple, and the mage himself really has no personality. Just making a texture is silly, as is just randomly making a system in code. You need to be able to personify and exemplify it through abstraction.

Dio, I don't even have the free time necessary to go over your texture with any fine comb. Settle in knowing that your "theme" is nonexistent and your guy's lips are way unrealistic. Reference pictures, man, references pictures. And what's the deal with the mask? Is this some silly (and unsuccessful) attempt to make it look unique? Otherwise, same theme issue I mentioned to AR, it looks blatantly random, but yours suffers from monochrome coloring as well (too much blue, too little variation). To boot, your shading is negligible in-game, it's going to be a blue blob.

What is the theme anyways...Arcane. Wow.
So far, none of the entries look anything interesting. Of course, it doesn't help that the theme is probably the worst I've ever seen in my life, so maybe I should cut you guys some slack.

Level 14
Dionesiist said:
I get it people would like him to have a bare face? And Dusk, I don't really get the "theme" thing :/
You have an obligatory blue blood mage with a mask and it's supposed to represent.. What? If I didn't know the theme of the contest, I wouldn't have a clue what your mage is supposed to be. There are no visual cues, no thematic representations, nothing. It's just a blue mage, which falls short of passing the "theme" qualifications as far as I'm concerned.

I wish I had more patience with texturing, I'd show you a good example of the theme arcane taken from a more clever perspective.

Level 14
It is, that's why it's a wretched theme. However, consider the colors that are typically associated with the word 'arcane'. Purple is the first. Metallic colors are next when matched with purple. AR almost had it, but stuttered both on the choice of model and the choice of blue in order to contrast in-game (Poor choice, they blend easily).

AR should know this better than anyone, he's textured two heroes for AotZ recently that embody the spirit of "Arcane" better than any -- far better than his entry thus far. Take a look at one.

I'm genuinely surprised that someone hasn't tried turning the Necromancer model into Merlin yet.

Level 14
Nah, the creative and ingenious man could do something coherent out of it! Someone should try, it would be sweet. But yeah, give it some color love and some cooler features and it'll be neat.

Level 14
Arcane Thingamajig

I wasn't much in the mood for texturing but I had an idea of what I wanted to skin and so quickly made a rough draft. The stone body is most certainly a subject of change. I just put it there for reference. Crystal part is good though. Just needs cleaning up and tweaking.

Attachments

• WIP1.jpg
    WIP1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 198
  • WIP1ingame.JPG
    WIP1ingame.JPG
    990.3 KB · Views: 237
  • WIP1pic.JPG
    WIP1pic.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 225

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Thanks Dusk, i've been having a difficult time with this one getting enough epic into it while managing the wrap and ingame resolution.

I reckon it'd be great if you joined this one xD
oh man, i've got an awesome idea for the Necro now... but i wanna keep going with this skin :(

Anyways, updated the skin a little, doesn't look like Sean Connery now :p

Attachments

• ArcanistFaceWIP.jpg
    ArcanistFaceWIP.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.