• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #7 - Holy/Angelic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Kaitech[SanD];577421 said:
No, smudge ISN'T ugly, if it was ugly why would it be included in the tool? I find smudge very useful seeing as I can't "Digitally blend colours without smudge". Also, people have their own techniques for skinning that works best for them, and smudge is included in it.

Yeah, but did you check your calender? Today is March the 25th 01:05(GMT) 2008. The contest finishes in 18 days...

Then you're most certainly not using it correctly!

Level 17
Then you're most certainly not using it correctly!

It might not look correct in your eyes, but the skin isn't yours and therefore not open for you to say how I should create it.

Indeed. And look for TDR's Smudge Sucks tutorial, you will see how professionals do it.

I'm not aiming to be professional, I'm texturing for fun mainly. I don't see myself making a career out of this.

Level 14
Theres no proper way to do art. Smudge can be quite effective. Biggest problem with smudge is that it is limmited and can hold you back. You cant control the effect very well so its best to be used in minimized quantities if at all.

Level 17
Indeed. And look for TDR's Smudge Sucks tutorial, you will see how professionals do it.

I just watched TDR's smudge sucks tutorial. I usually do it like he does, but with less hue changes - maybe I should do that more. And then once it's all done I use smudge to clean it up so you can't see the "brush strokes" (unless I actually want them visible)

I also use alot of layers, shape the objects, lock transparency, and do things that way. Instead of freely brushing, which works but is less precise than I usually want it to be, I use the mask tool alot, and then it makes sure I don't go outside the boundaries of the mask (plus is a nice way to get really sharp edges. I don't own a tablet so it goes a bit slower for me.

In my skin there ae 85 different layers. The one on the bottom is the original skin, so I suppose 84. 55 are actually visible in the final product, which the other 3 are turned off.

Then save as a tga and convert to BLP and TADA!

New nifty trick I picked up. If you use VM to get your vertex maps, they are of weird dimensions and proportions. get the maps on blank white, then double the size using nearest neighbor. this gives you like 802 by 700 something. Stretch your texture bilinearly to those proportions and when you save it and shrink it back down it will match the mesh perfectly. Resizing the mesh to fit normal skin proportions gives you less accuracy.

And just to note for the newbles. Multiply works way better than burn, screen better than dodge. burn and dodge are only useful when you're trying to make shiny metal, and it takes practice to do it without it looking like shit.

Also, "see how professionals do it" usually means "see a way to make it look good." In this case they're closely related but not the same. The way you used smudge just looks like a blurry chunk of grey blurry.

Last edited:
Level 21
Darkholme, if you're texturing it for WC3, it doesn't matter if you see the brush strokes or not. MIPmaps are going to rape your texture and make it, as Elenai would say, "topologized" anyway

Also, may I add, Kaitech, I am open to my opinion. You're obviously doing it wrong considering it doesn't look good. When I was a noob I thought my textures were good, looking back they're complete shit

The way you used smudge just looks like a blurry chunk of grey blurry.

Precisely

Level 9
Im still in, not possible to add wip, cause im not at home.

i was doing Grom Hellscream. (and whenever i asked for help, i was ingnored so i stoped to ask for opinion)

anyway should it be done soon.

@guy who said that will do dread lord, when u see his dress simetric, u will forget that idea

Level 27
He didn't call your work complete shit, he called his own work complete shit.
It might not look correct in your eyes, but the skin isn't yours and therefore not open for you to say how I should create it.
If you don't want help, its your loss, as they're only trying to give you a better chance of winning, or to even look better. Why you reject them is way beyond me..
--donut3.5--

Level 17
He didn't call your work complete shit, he called his own work complete shit.

Well, in my eyes he was calling my work shit, but then again..

If you don't want help, its your loss, as they're only trying to give you a better chance of winning, or to even look better. Why you reject them is way beyond me..
--donut3.5--

I wasn't saying I didn't want help, I was saying I don't want people kind of... Taking over... If you know what I mean..

TDR

TDR

Level 18
hey, I've seen a discussion about smudge again here...People, after all, if you don't want to become a professional, fine, use smudge and whatever you want. But just so you know, if you want to get hired to do a job with digital painting and the contractor sees use of smudge in your portfolio, he will immediately make a very, very bad impression about yourself.

Anyway, if you really love smudge so much you can't drop it, at least please try blending with it using the method this dude describes here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2468691&postcount=3
+turn the strength of smudge WAAY down.
You can't even tell that's made with smudge...Sucks that doesn't work in photoshop 7 though, but it's about goddamn time to upgrade.

Level 24
first wip...
BeastMastercopy-1.jpg

i will redo the cape btw
I said goodbye to dodge, burn and blur... it was hard, but worth it!

Level 4
hey, are the final entries posted on this thread or are they going to be reposted on a new poll thread? I think that if they are going to be judged from this one then a backstory should be added with the final submission... as an example I really like the look of darkholmes skin an presentation, but on it's final post I didn't read anything about it that explained what makes the judge holy... considering the theme of this thread and the fact the skin is based on such an unusual model my vote will be going to another entry that has a more obvious holy nature.... I know its probably not necessary but I think to be fair that is part of the criteria I will be voting by, not just on what I think looks awesome. Oh yeah, awesome skin btw darkholme :p

Level 4
Still didnt have a chance to continue my skin :sad:
Not that i have any motivation to do so but should i start a new skin?

Level 17
My skin is holy though, that was the whole concept. the idea is that its the judge of who can get into heaven and who gets cast into hell. So I wen't with holy+judge. That's why the robes are white, and the scales are on the back, and the non-evil looking face. (I think I did a damn good job making a 4 horned face not look evil). The metallic parts are inspired by some of the celestials in D&D, who have metallic bodies.

As for Madome, it's up to you dude. your moon warrior wasn't the most holy thing ever though, it was kinda like a male nightelf warrior. Maybe a religious warrior, but not all religious people are holy. The pope may be holy, but my grandmother isnt. :p I think it was supposed to be more centered around heaven and celestials and archons and planes of good, in this case the opposite of the burning legion. I'd probably come up with a more divine concept.

Level 4
As for Madome, it's up to you dude. your moon warrior wasn't the most holy thing ever though, it was kinda like a male nightelf warrior. Maybe a religious warrior, but not all religious people are holy. The pope may be holy, but my grandmother isnt. :p I think it was supposed to be more centered around heaven and celestials and archons and planes of good, in this case the opposite of the burning legion. I'd probably come up with a more divine concept.
Agreed .. Having trouble with my tablet driver though, tablet doesnt work anymore and don't know how to fix..

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Yelling on the internets never really works.

Level 10
Okay, here you go HT, this should give you a slight idea of what it looks like wrapped, as the texture is currently. Sorry for the stretched proportions, I play on a widescreen, and my screenshots don't compensate for that.

Attachments

• WrapWiPHereyougoHT.jpg
    WrapWiPHereyougoHT.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 189
Status
Not open for further replies.