• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining contest 22 - theme poll

The 22th terraining contest theme should be:

• A previous theme from the 1 - 21 terraining contest (Four Seasons, Winter Wonderland, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another theme that is not mentioned in this poll

• Sky platform - Sky continent ( like starcraft or Final Fantasy sky lands)

• Small buildings (mill, farm, house, stable, small factory, not huge castles or bases)

• Docks - ports - ships (in rivers or in the sea, modern or ancient)

• Moats and Trenchs ( to defend castles, hide troops as WW II, or just to avoid flood, man made)

• Spacecraft (Starcraft, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek...)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Since the last terraining contest Nº 21 was in 2019 , 2020 is ending (october-november-decemer) and there was no terraining contest this year. Terraining Contest #22 [Reforged or Classic]

I propose to do this contest in the same way as the 21 contest before (I have the 1.28, I can participate only in classics), classic graphics with the ultimate terraining map UTM, v4. as always.
The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0

so the contest 22 that can be now in 2020,
terraining contest was like a classic of this site, would be nice to keep it alive, terraining is fun and relaxing.

number of entries in terraining contests (TC):
TC 18- 9 entries. Terraining Contest #18 - Poll
TC 19- 9 entries. Terraining Contest #19 - Poll
TC 20 - 10 entries Terraining Contest #20 - Results
TC 21- 2 entries (stone age theme was perhaps hard to execute IMO.)
Terraining Contest #21 - Results

I decided to create a poll to check a posible theme for the next terraining contest.

I decided to check the theme of all previus terraining contest and create a poll with the option of chose a previus theme and focus on list new themes (note, done this before for the 20)

as example:

- Ice
- Fire
- A theme of previus contest (1-21, like castles or aftermath).

-You can vote the top 7 themes you would like to try to do,
-you can change your vote anytime.
-Poll has no time limit atm.
-any registered user can vote.

-You can discuss here themes you want and vote "another theme that is not mentioned in the poll"

Old terraining contest theme. (if you wish to repeat a category you can check here and post wich one would you like)

1) Theme Blizzard WC3 tilesets Barrens, Ashenvale, ICC... :
Terrain Contest
Terraining Challenge 2007/2008
2)Theme: Mountains
Terrain Contest #2
3) Theme: Four seasons (same land, in the four seasons, spring, winter, summer, fall)
Terrain Contest #3
4) Theme: Construction
Terrain Contest #4
5) Theme: Winter Wonderland
Terrain Contest #5
6) Theme: Ancient Mythology
Terrain Contest VI: Ancient Mythology
7) Theme: Small World
Terrain Contest 7 - Small World
8) Theme: Steampunk
Terraining Contest #8
9) Theme: Cataclysm (note a cataclysm event, like super volcano or storm. not the wow game)
Terraining Contest #9
10) Theme: Playable Surrealism
Terraining Contest #10: Results
11) Theme: Battlefields
Terraining Contest #11: Battlefields
12) Theme: Horror Nightmare
Terraining Contest #12: Horror/Nightmare
13) Theme: Fictional World Wonder
Terraining Contest #13: Fictional World Wonder
14) Theme: Racial Settlements
Terraining Contest #14: Racial Settlements
15) Theme: Feeling / Emotions
Terraining Contest #15: Results
16) Theme: Castle Cathedral
Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals
17) Theme Afterlife Realm
Terraining Contest #17 - Results
18) Theme: Playable Desert
Terraining Contest #18 - Results
19) Theme: Aftermath
Terraining Contest #19 - Aftermath
20) Theme: Water structures
Terraining Contest #20 - Results
21) Theme: Stone Age
Terraining Contest #21 - Results

there are screens as examples of the "new themes in this link:

Terraining Contest #20 - Theme Poll

Long Live Terrainers & Terraining contest!!

Last edited:
Level 35
What about blue? ;)

Or wait, didn't we actually do that as a mini-contest once?

Anyway, jokes aside, I'd love to see this happen, but, not to be a negative Nancy or anything, I really doubt you'll get enough interest for it.

As for suggestions, I think most of the options in the poll are a bit too specific, or limiting, and people generally don't like contests associated with World of Warcraft around here. An easy way of circumventing that problem, though, is to be less brand-focused: "Regions of Azeroth" (Or Outland), unrelated to a specific game, giving the participants the option to choose themselves which incarnation of a specific location in the warcraft world they want to reinvent.

Other than that, I think "Elements" could be a cool one, chosing one element (water, fire, earth or wind) and making a terrain related to that element.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Instead of copying World of Warcraft regions, we could create something else. I'm for civilization or jungle.

Level 29
What about blue? ;)

Or wait, didn't we actually do that as a mini-contest once?

Anyway, jokes aside, I'd love to see this happen, but, not to be a negative Nancy or anything, I really doubt you'll get enough interest for it.

As for suggestions, I think most of the options in the poll are a bit too specific, or limiting, and people generally don't like contests associated with World of Warcraft around here. An easy way of circumventing that problem, though, is to be less brand-focused: "Regions of Azeroth" (Or Outland), unrelated to a specific game, giving the participants the option to choose themselves which incarnation of a specific location in the warcraft world they want to reinvent.

Other than that, I think "Elements" could be a cool one, chosing one element (water, fire, earth or wind) and making a terrain related to that element.

Instead of copying World of Warcraft regions, we could create something else. I'm for civilization or jungle.

Reworking WOW Regions idea acording to both sugestions...

Loading... ...

WOW Region: Frostfire Ridge Reforge

upload_2020-10-11_10-21-0.png

Pick two elements from the list and combine them to make a creative scene where two elements co-exist like in Frost Fire Ridge

Elements to combine:
Fire - Water - Ice - Metal - Light - Nature - Air - Violet Energy - Darkness - Fel

my goal now is to focus on plasm this in a thread to have a better presentation

Last edited:
Level 29
I hate WOW and what it stands for.
Although it was unlikely for me to join in the first place. I'm really not in when its anything related to WOW :peasant-cool:

the scene to be created doesnt need to be related to wow, is just elements, like
fire water, make a volcano in the middle of the sea.
water nature, make a waterfall in the forest,

there will be a lot of freedom to portrait a scene

Last edited:
Level 35
[...] is just Keiji idea of combine elements, like
fire water, make a volcano in the middle of the sea.
water nature, make a waterfall in the forest,

Sorry what? That was not my idea, my suggestion was plainly elements, not to combine them. Although that does sound a bit interesting. Please refrain from ascribing ideas to my name when it wasn't my suggestion, though.

Level 29
Sorry what? That was not my idea, my suggestion was plainly elements, not to combine them. Although that does sound a bit interesting. Please refrain from ascribing ideas to my name when it wasn't my suggestion, though.

I was in a hurry writting, I didnt think much, in a celphone,, letter by letter wich is very slow.
sorry, I edited my post not mentioning you anymore

elements was your sugestion/idea (earth, water, fire, air) I took that idea from you.
from that idea I did 10 elements and a combination of them., without your post I wouldnt developed my idea, I was thinking a lot around how to plasm elements with wow region.

I got this problem with that idea
earth is everywhere unless you do deep ocean or only a sky, and probably the most common way to represent earth would be a mountain. A volcano earth is there but it goes to fire, the combination was starting to grow inside me.
and air is very hard to represent because is mostly invisible unless you make things float in the air, or do something with gray steam or a very windy scene if you are in the pro Level 100 as Heinvers.

so to sort that I decided to combine them, and to have more freedom, I did a list of 10 elements.
so user can have 10 is a 10x9x8 is combination, where each element cant combine with iteself but to the others 9x8x7, I dont know how to do the maths to get the total number of posibilities,

I am glad that now is a bit interesting.

Last edited:
Terraining contests are dead, whether we like it or not. There is no chance of getting any good amount of quality entries... I doubt we would even have any entries!
Actually, I was planning on giving scenic terraining a shot and enter, although I have never done any scenic terrains before.

Level 29
Terraining contests are dead, whether we like it or not. There is no chance of getting any good amount of quality entries... I doubt we would even have any entries!

in warcraft dead can resurrect either with resurrection spell of the paladin or rise dead from the death knight.(joke)

is true that terraining contest 21 had only 2 entries, theme was very narrow
but terraining contest 20 had 10 wich is great, more it may be boring to audience to look so many entries like 20. of couse 20 entries is rock and roll!, but 10 is very good,

scenic terraining contest needs interesting themes and interesting spins like MGT tech tree contest., thats why I took that idea.

Actually, I was planning on giving scenic terraining a shot and enter, although I have never done any scenic terrains before.

you know what is the great thing of terraining contest, anybody can participate ,
you dont need to be a triggerer or a modeler, or a icon designer
is very easy for starters, easy to start hard to master but thats part of the fun.

also the idea of terraining contest is to swich between scenic and playable terrain, so all level designers, minimappers will be encouraged in the playable terrain(playable terrain means design terrain templates where a normal hero can walk in a linear way around, dunno 5-10 mins aprox), no triggers,

I think to make terraining contest interesting it would be nice a ratio of 2-1. 2 scenic contest, 1 playable terraining contest, 2 scenic, 1 playable.
so the 23 terraining contest would be playable, 24-25 scenic, 26 playable. and so on...

I can predict so far, 6 starters (considering the people I talk), and that more people will join when the green banner is out and people starts seeing wips.
example I saw a terraining contest, I joined late, did a bad entry, got last, I had fun, participed again, did an entry, I had some time problems in the middle but get up some post. got much better.
I think many will see the wips and say, cool I am in, or I want to try, or maybe a veteran will come for nostalgia and rock and roll.

Last edited:
Level 22
in warcraft dead can resurrect either with resurrection spell of the paladin or rise dead from the death knight.
Sorry, but the Terraining Contest is not a unit. How can you ressurect or raise something that isn't even a unit in the first place? In fact, it is not even in the game engine. It's in a website? How are you gonna make it not dead again with Warcraft units and spells?

Send Banshees to possess me so I join this contest?

I'll wait until I get to summon a bunch of Skeleton Warriors to destroy the Hive's webpages in my web browser. :p

Last edited:
Level 29
Sorry, but the Terraining Contest is not a unit. How can you ressurect or raise something that isn't even a unit in the first place? In fact, it is not even in the game engine. It's in a website? How are you gonna make it not dead again with Warcraft units and spells?

Send Banshees to possess me so I join this contest?

I'll wait until I get to summon a bunch of Skeleton Warriors to destroy the Hive's webpages in my web browser. :p

it was a joke, my point is everything from the past can return, that goes to any form of art or games.

Level 29
I'd be actually quite happy if I'm proved wrong in my last statement! I'm looking forward to this contest as of now. Let's see if the goodolddays' angel shows up and makes this a real TC!

yes I more or less I am to this

A)10 entries like TC 20, will be great. (more better) but with 10, I can said mision acomplished.
B)I can predict 6 entries wich is good, is not the optimal I wish but is a TC survival situation to keep it alive.
C) worst scenario 3 entries, I have faith this theme can be more interesting than the tc 21, and we wont repeat the tc 21 case.

in case of B and C, the survival plan is do a TC 23: playable terrain to recruit level designers and minimappers, and increase the participants in tc23
and in case A the playable TC 23 will be a good fuel for the scenic TC 24.

so I think there is nothing to loose.

Level 29
To make your scenes, would you guys prefer to choose an element from a pool, or a combination of two?

I did the 2 element combo to relate it to frostfire ridge to relate it to wow regions

I think is more interesting to combo elements, more freedom more posibilities to new discovers, is like cooking take many elements to do your dish.
mono elements feels static, dual elements feel a challange

Would it possibly be an idea to make a separate poll asking people if they'd be interesred in joining a new TC or not before considering initiating one?
edit:
I see your point.

Perhaps I can make another theme poll for my previous question, and check for participation by only asking potential participants to vote.

edit: well mm, voting 2 elements combo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.