• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #4 - Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
hive468.gif

The Hiveworkshop's Terraining Contest

Construction Terrain Contest

Using doodads, form a structure, monument, or something that would not naturally occur without the intervention of man/magic/intelligent beings.

Examples
Hell Hound
Tower of Babel
Great Construction

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. No team work is allowed.
    [*]Map may not be based on UTM, or import any other custom models or textures.
  3. No additional importing is allowed into already existing and most up-to-date UTM map.
  4. No contestant may use his/her old works, submission must be made exclusively for this contest.
  5. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread for originality purposes.
  6. No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (you may use them to crop off the World Editor).

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 30 reputation points and icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).

• 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Judging
    Note that the whole of the terrain is judged, not just the construction.

Overall Appearance - How appealing your terrain is
    Theme - How relevant your terrain is to the theme
    Creativity - How creative you are with doodads and your overall terrrain
    Technical - How well you used everything; tile variation, doodad placement, atmosphere, ect.

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 3 weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on the 6th of October 2008 and conclude on the 27th of October 2008 0:00 AM, GMT

Last edited:
Level 34
It means you construct something using doodads. I think the examples explain it well enough. Be creative.

I changed the description slightly.

Level 14
Awesome, another ambiguous theme with no real direction given. This is almost as bad as 'Arcane'. Almost. These things really do get rushed to the launch, you don't need to have these contests virtually back-to-back.

Level 34
Awesome, another ambiguous theme with no real direction given. This is almost as bad as 'Arcane'. Almost. These things really do get rushed to the launch, you don't need to have these contests virtually back-to-back.
I find it hard to explain, but I figured anyone from the site that spends time in the Terrain Forum would know what I'm talking about. Can you think of a better way to explain it?

It's been a month or so since the last terrain contest.

Level 8
Yeah, I hoped for a contest like this for long time. I like thoose kind of terraining (Though I have only made a car and a dinosaur).

So .. we just attach the screenshot here and you will take that as a submission?

Level 14
Gilles said:
I find it hard to explain, but I figured anyone from the site that spends time in the Terrain Forum would know what I'm talking about. Can you think of a better way to explain it?

It's been a month or so since the last terrain contest.
Well, think of what construction implies. It could be a building, a castle, a tower, a golem, a whole bunch of things. It has no real direction, heck, I could argue a forest has an aspect of construction to it and be in the right.

Did you want a fortress? Did you want just a building? Did you want an imposing edifice that stands alone in the wilderness against the tests of time? (ie. Stone hence) Depending on what you want people to make, that is how you define your theme. You don't want to be too specific, but being too broad will do just as little good.

Level 34
Well, think of what construction implies. It could be a building, a castle, a tower, a golem, a whole bunch of things. It has no real direction, heck, I could argue a forest has an aspect of construction to it and be in the right.

Did you want a fortress? Did you want just a building? Did you want an imposing edifice that stands alone in the wilderness against the tests of time? (ie. Stone hence) Depending on what you want people to make, that is how you define your theme. You don't want to be too specific, but being too broad will do just as little good.
A forest is not at all a construction. A bunch of trees put together to form something (like Tassadooms tree man, although I think he used green rocks) is a construction, because you constructed it.

Whether or not it's too broad is opinion. I think it's fine, and prefer to leave a more open theme. Seeing twenty variations of a fortress is just boring in my opinion.

Level 14
Gilles said:
A forest is not at all a construction.
Oh, but it is!{1}
Dictionary said:
Something fashioned or devised systematically: a nation that was glorious in its historical construction.
If nature is not systematic, I don't know what is. There are a bunch of definitions, some of which involve engineering and some of which don't. It's as I said, a matter of the theme being too broad; there are too many ways to interpret it within reason.

See, if you wanted a building of some sort, the theme should have been "Edifice." Besides, by your very example, a forest is a bunch of trees put together to form something. Hell, the human body is a bunch of things put together to form something. I love it when ambiguity works in my favor.
Gilles said:
Whether or not it's too broad is opinion.
No, it really isn't, but it's your opinion in whether you agree with objective fact or not.

Level 14
See, if that was the intention, then it would certainly be better than 'construction'. Although I question if that's what Gilles had in mind or not, which is the particular cause for my pointing out that the theme is too broad.

Level 34
Oh, but it is!{1}

If nature is not systematic, I don't know what is. There are a bunch of definitions, some of which involve engineering and some of which don't. It's as I said, a matter of the theme being too broad; there are too many ways to interpret it within reason.

See, if you wanted a building of some sort, the theme should have been "Edifice." Besides, by your very example, a forest is a bunch of trees put together to form something. Hell, the human body is a bunch of things put together to form something. I love it when ambiguity works in my favor.

No, it really isn't, but it's your opinion in whether you agree with objective fact or not.
But nature was not constructed, unless you say that God constructed it. Famous pretty much summed up everything. So should I use his explanation as the theme, or leave it, relying on terrainers to know the term?

And whether or not it's too broad is not fact at all. It's somewhat broad yes, but I don't think it's too broad.

Level 34
I added a note in the judging area just to make sure no one gets confused. You are judged on the whole terrain, not just the construction. I figure this would be obvious, but just in case I added that.

redscores, you should really improve the outside. The temple is looking pretty good though. Also remember that there is a lot of time left to finish it.

Level 34
No it won't be. I'm never going to make them anonymous and as long as I'm running these, that's final.

I hope our users can grow up and treat this properly. If you screw this contest up again, I'll make sure you regret it.

Level 8
The Harvest Festival has begun! The edge of summer and autumn draw close, we must gather our crops and finish and burn the ceremonial strawman by the first day of fall if we are to be blessed with another plentiful harvest like we seem to have this year.

The Great Strawman of the Harvest Festival.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.