• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Hello, users of The Hive Workshop.

Today, 7th April 2007, I am submitting this Terraining Challenge. Actually, it's more than one challenge! I have seen many terrains in our Terraining Forum and I think this contest will get more participants than it had at wc3search.

The contest is over, terminated on 9-Feb-2008!

I propose the following: each participant will design a terrain, however, I am going to ask for one of the 18 existing tilesets. At the end of each tileset, we will have a poll to decide what terrain you prefer. Please have in consideration the following when voting:
  • Originality
  • Doodad Placement
  • Elevation
  • Ground Texture Use
  • Fog/Weather/Effects

NOTE: You must post at least 2 WIP (Work-in-Progress) images before the final screenshot, otherwise, your terrain will not count. You may have no more than 3 final submissions. You may NOT import new ground tiles.

We will have a Tileset Master, and a Winning Participant.

• The Winning Participant will be the one with the highest percentage at the end of the contest, more specifically, when all tilesets have been made. The final Winning Participant in the 1st place receives 50 reputation points. 25 for the second, and 10 for the third.
  • The Tileset Master will be the one with the highest percentage on the tileset. This means every tileset will have one Tileset Master. The Tileset Master is awarded with 5 reputation points.

Herio-San is the Ashenvale Tileset Master!
Jaakko is the Barrens Tileset Master!
Jaakko is the Dalaran Tileset Master!
MadseN is the Icecrown Glacier Tileset Master!
MadseN is the Lordaeron Fall Tileset Master!

Deadline: The Lordaeron Fall Tileset has started, and can now post screenshots of the referred tileset ONLY. The deadline for this tileset is on the 1st January.

You may only use the Ultimate Terraining Map, which is avaible at the end of this post. A deep thanks to DungeonM for creating such a helpful map for terrainers. Thanks also to demonsofdante, Ghenjis, and HappyTauren for completing it for this contest. No skins are accepted after a tileset has started. As such, you should always inform me (Rui) that you would like to use the skin in further tilesets, by posting in this thread. Remember to provide a link to the skin/model you want to use, or simply attach it to your post.
After the Participants List, there is a list of material you may use for your terrains. Jump to Material List!

Participants on Rui's Terraining Challenge
List of Participants in Terraining Challenge (30)
  • ~Void~
  • Bob27
  • creyzi4zb12
  • Dalaran_Guard
  • daw_guy
  • demonsofdante
  • Doompenguin
  • Eleandor
  • famouspker49
  • FGRaptor
  • Gilles
  • Ham Ham
  • HappyTauren
  • Herio-san
  • Ivanneth
  • Jaakko
  • Killer_Mushroom
  • KingBob
  • MadseN
  • Mor)L(unE
  • Mr.Jamaka2
  • Nbah
  • Numeror
  • Pandizzle
  • ragingspeedhorn
  • Ratherion
  • Redeemer59
  • Sacrimo
  • Tawsix
  • Valcrist
Here is the material you may use in your terrains:

Last edited:
Level 8
Meh, might as well have a go. I'm not the best terrainer but i wanna test myself. ANY imported models? Even ones you make yourself but you don't submit? Imagine that... A terrain using only custom stuff.

That would be more a model contest, I can not count 10 guys around the communities who created their own models and terrained.

I want join the judgement !

Chaos

Level 24
I like the sound of this contest, I think I will move this to the main forum and make an announcement about it.

And i'm in.

And as for the models, why not just say people can only use models from the Ultimate Terraining Map? Because thats got models that can be used for pretty much every tileset, and no one will have to import anything into a map, they just make the size a bit bigger, change the tiles and start terraining.

Level 18
If we are to use imported resources, the models should be selected by The Hive administration and approved for use for everybody. Meaning, The Hive picks the models that the terrainers can use and they must be equally available to all who decide to join the contest. Any model that is not approved by The Hive cannot be used in a terraining showcase.

Level 10
I'll join, im not good........but I want to test myself. 1 question... how big does the map have to be?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't know how many screenshots will I ask for, or if I'll ask for the whole terrain, but we'll see. It all depends on how this turns out.

I'm also thinking of an award. Perhaps the adminstradors would like to suggest something. What about a rep award for Tileset Masters (no icon) and a final rep + icon award to the Winner?

Level 18
NO teams, and once again I will say this:

If we are to use imported resources, the models should be selected by The Hive administration and approved for use for everybody. Meaning, The Hive picks the models that the terrainers can use and they must be equally available to all who decide to join the contest. Any model that is not approved by The Hive cannot be used in a terraining showcase.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
We shall use that one after HappyTauren changes it then.

So we've got a vote for yes and a vote for no.

Poll: Form Teams?

Yes(1) - Chaos
No(8) - 1)ark_NiTe, Sacrimo, HappyTauren, Killer_Mushroom, PurgeandFire111, Mega_Abee, demonsofdante, FGRaptor

NOTE: only bold names represent people who are participing in this contest.

Last edited:
Level 10
We shall use that one after HappyTauren changes it then.

So we've got a vote for yes and a vote for no.

Poll: Form Teams?

Yes(1) - Chaos
No(1) - 1)ark_NiTe

I vote no, if people are teamed up, and they are both pros, then us newbs will have no chance, so it really isn't fair. Unless we get a even amount of newbs, and pros. Then you can put a newb and a pro together. But for now, I vote no.

Lolz... I guess... I'm in, but I'm not 100% sure if I'll get the terrain in in-time... :emote_neutral:

As for the teams, I vote no, same reason as Sacrimo suggested, I'm a newb also... :emote_smile:

My decision for the entry is still pending, this contest still has a lot of desicions to make on what to do but it does seem interesting, so I dunno what to do... :emote_innocent:

2 seconds later...

I'm in! lolz :emote_grin:

Level 1
Mega is joining the contest

Hello, this sounds interesting, i would like to join this contest, count me in!
I would also like to know something of how big you would like the terrain to be.
I vote NO on Teams.

Call me Mega :)

Last edited:
Level 8
I'll participate to the greatest extent I can, i may not be able to make hte deadline for some tilesets but i'll surely try.

By the way, i vote No on teams. This sort of thing is to showcase individual talent.

Level 8
sure ill help out HT. Just tell me what you need. Last i checked there were some very basic grass models (and if there arent they can be found among the hidden doodads) If there are any others you may have to link zem to me some how.

Sidenote: I jacked up something with a couple of the tree models a while back and cant seem to find them. I might replace them with your tree models HT. However i may not include all of them, just the more commonly used ones, to reduce space.

Level 8
well about half of those models are already in the Ultimate terraining map. Some of them just dont look all that great in my opinion or are unneeded due to the many present options in the map. There are a few i like i particular and i will get about to updating the map with them tomorrow.

I'll probably hold off on loading (or sending to Rui, whichever) an updated version for the contest for a couple days so poeple can submit some models they think would come in handy throughout the contest.

Level 19
Please hear my plea!!! Somebody make an elven citadel terrain cliff to replace either Dalaran or Dalaran Ruins cliff. I think somebody should make this because we don't have it. We need this!! (Citadels are of course in Ashenvale) And please make it fit with Ashenvale tileset terrains.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Thanks for all your efforts, guys.

As for the replacing cliffs, that will not be done, at least, I'm against it. I pretend to use un-modified tilesets. Actually, I would participe too (would not be unfair if we had it on a poll to decide), but since I'm not that free anymore, I guess I'll sit and judge.

And as for the start of the contest, it would be better to have some posts cleaned first (specially those at the very start of the topic). But that doesn't matter much. Anyway, we need the Ultimate Terraining Map, which demonsofdante is working on.

Level 8
Well I'm actually iffy on the UTM right now. Since the map has been updated in the past few months or so (Linked by Ghenjis in the UTM thread) i'm not sure if DungeonM has ceased work on it. I do not want to go around modifying it willy nilly if he still plans to do it himself. I'm currently waiting on Ghenjis getting back to me with a PM from DungeonM.

I will modify this in a day or two if I do not recieve word, simply for the sake of this contest if people are getting that impatient.

In the meantime, if there are any doodad models that you feel would greatly benefit the contestants, PM me with links to their download page (And please make sure its a working link) and i may add them to the map

Status
Not open for further replies.