• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge - Barrens

Best Barrens Tileset Terrain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
As I said, the Barrens tileset of the Terraining Challenge would come to an end today. This time I decided to fully enforce the rules and make the thread more organized. I'm sad that out of more or less 40 participants, only 5 made submissions. The rest either lost interest or simply didn't complete the requirements of 2 WIPs and at least 1 final screenshot.

Good luck to all the participants.

Barrens Tileset Screenshots

creyzi4zb12

creyzi4zb12 has submited 3 final screenshots. Click here to view his submission.
FGRaptor

FGRaptor has submited 3 final screenshots. Click here to view his submission.
Herio-san

Herio-San has submited 3 final screenshots.
Submissions
Jaakko

Jaakko has submited 3 final screenshots. Click here to view his submission.
Numeror

Numeror has submited 3 final screenshots.
Submissions

And please this time don't vote for yourself, will make my work harder.

Level 8
Agreed, 2-P. I was going to make a landscape but I figured everyone would vote for a fortress before anything else, so i switched mine (and never finished).

Level 10
Crezy got my vote,

FG Raptors literarly stands out, not much backround, the fortress is nice though. But it just looks like a fortress standing in the middle of no where alone. Still nice.

Herio-sans first 2 pictures were way too dull, it looked un-finished. But the canyon was really good.

Jakko's was awsome, but it looked too much like a fortress then a barren, i think you should have entered that in the fortress competition.

And Numerors has too much vegatation and plants, it removed the barren look from it, i think you should have lessened the vegetation.

Crezy had a good mix of Barren look, back round, and its not a fortress, but a country side market place. Some vegatation but not too much. I see why everyone likes Jakko's, its great, but un balanced, too much fortress and not enough Barren look.

Thats why Crezy gets my vote. Gj everyone.

Reactions: Rui
Level 8
I went with Crezy for about the same reasons, I found the city-ish look much more attractive than the fortress, it gave more room for creativity, which he took full advantage of.

I'll go with crazy. It has a nice city feel to it, even though it wasn't all that organised and seemed a bit messy.

None of these stand out really, apart from the one with floating rocks. Everyone made a fortress, and it was pretty much all similar, same doodads, same idea. Prety much no one thought of an original concept.

That, and most lack "atmosphere".

In my opinion floating rocks belong only to Outland. Then what would have been an original terrain?

Point is, he inovated, even though it would have been better with a back story. People could have made other things than a fortress/orc city. It might have taken a while to find something but it would have been worth the effort.

Perhaps a rainy day on the Barrens? It doesn't happen often, obviously, but it happens at least once in a while, else there wouldn't be much vegetation. it would have had some nice atmosphere.

Or maybe an Oasis? Or a Tauren encampment on top of a high hill/mountain overlooking a large landscape?

Level 8
Even that is not that origional.... I liked mine ALOT, a city dangling inside of a volcanic crater supported by chains, untill i realised just how long it was taking to elevate every single doodad up the map, so I had to drop it, I might try again on the Black Citadel one though.

Even that is not that origional.... I liked mine ALOT, a city dangling inside of a volcanic crater supported by chains, untill i realised just how long it was taking to elevate every single doodad up the map, so I had to drop it, I might try again on the Black Citadel one though.

Awesome idea...

It doesn't have to scream "HOLY SHIT NO ON ELSE EVER THOUGHT OF THIS!" for it to be original. Just something people won't expect.
For example, anything else than an orc fortress.

Level 8
True, true.... but if you have something more origional you can do things with the terrain that make yours stand out, make it more memorable. I mean a perfectly designed and layed out/spaced Night Elf town is all very good, but can it beat something along the lines of a Dwarf Citadel Of Beer?

Level 8
That would have been... awsome... you could have constucted the elemental out of rock doodads to put it into a crouching pose.... woa

Status
Not open for further replies.