• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I suggest cleaning up the light sources a bit, the sky is light grey, but everything else is darker, exept the lake which is moonlight.... wisps and lanterns are very bright.... I don't know you could make it flow a bit better I think, maybe add some dark fog effects to the brighter sources and brighten the darker ones with lighter fog. Just a suggestion, very good work.
Is there a dark fog effect, where? I haven't seen it...

Level 8
Is there a dark fog effect, where? I haven't seen it...

Ahh damn, I know I used it somewhere, don't remember sorry.

EDIT: Ah yes, I belive at the moment I was able to do a little trick with the camera and increase the general (black) fog density. But the shot at that moment was very short-ranged, so for your pic it may not work, becuase of the long view the farther parts would be completely colored instead of the light sources.

Level 19
Are you sure the picture should be darker? Do you still think I should add some fog light?

EDIT: And I'm eagerly waiting for my rivals to post screenshots... ^^ We have so many participants that my guess is we will see same kind of pictures in the future of this contest unless we are really innovative.

Last edited:
Level 3
So, the contest already startetd; and when do we need to be finished? 30th of april? and well, on the already posted screenshot i saw buildings and units, but somewhere i read it should be just terrain; so what now? only terrain or terrain and units? or do we have the choice?

€: i should commit suicide; checked now the first post again, sorry for this ^^ but the question with the units stays

Level 2
Well atm my terrain doesnt look good at all, i'd feel embarassed posting it here :emote_sleepy:

I made sure not to use any blizzard cliffs, but only used raise tool to create mountains.

About WEU - doesnt it ruin the competition if people use more than teh 8 ashenvale tiles? then it really isnt "ashenvale" anymore is it? :emote_scared:

Anyway earlier i heard some stuff about you wanting to see the work be4 it was done, so you could be sure it wasnt a rip-off, but i mean from how early stages do i have to post it? :emote_laugh:

@ Jaakko: Your terrain looked really nice btw, nice work :emote_clap:

W00T

I JUST FOUND OUT that it would be l33t for me to enter. so yeah, im in AGAIN :D.

Here is WIP (map will be 256X256, i wont this to be something special)

just... i started this on old terraining map, i might transfer all work to teh new one :p

WIP1.jpg

Level 19
Well atm my terrain doesnt look good at all, i'd feel embarassed posting it here :emote_sleepy:
When you do you can surely get feedback, if you need help.
Anyway earlier i heard some stuff about you wanting to see the work be4 it was done, so you could be sure it wasnt a rip-off, but i mean from how early stages do i have to post it? :emote_laugh:
I think it was something like at least 2 or 3 W.I.P shots before the final screenshot.
@ Jaakko: Your terrain looked really nice btw, nice work :emote_clap:
Thanks. :)

@HappyTauren
Oh it looks nice. Nice waterfall. But wait, what does it matter what the size of the map is???

Level 8
You can just change it so it is lighter instead of darker that would work too.

As for my map, I'm running WEU on a 98' laptop with Vista. It was built for NT, yea, enough said. I need to get a patch form Bnet? becuase the map is not opening, i'm getting the "map data invalid" error.

Level 8
What is NT? Does this mean WEU does not work with Vista or? :(

NT stands for New Technology, it was made right after windows 95, like a windows 96 if you will. I belive it does work on vista by the way.

Anyway I cannot open The Ultimate Terraining Map on WEU for some reason, I can open my other maps but that one seems to be imcomplete for me, I'll try dling it again.

Level 8
Not sure, I can open all the other maps, custom ones as well. Its just that one map that demonsofdante made: The Ultimate Terraining Map, that does not want to open.

Level 8
Yay! go Hero-san! Anyway I dled the map again and it works now, I'll get to work ASAP.

(urg i have so much 2 do, there is Ascendency, this, and some sigs, but I will do them all!)

Level 8
Yes it does, now it looks like an Ashenvale dawn all around the map, instead of just the sky. I especialy like the fog and light attachment to the faerie dragon hill.

Level 8
Ok. just never seen someone pull off cliffs that steep b4, I guess if you can make it work it will look great.

Anyway here is a WIP for me:
WhisperingRiver.jpg

I still have lots to doo, just want feedback, thanks.

Level 8
I'm going to make them both black then, and I kind of wanted to go for a simple, clean look more than a complex-yet-slightly-confusing one,

Level 8
Wow is kind of... too smooth, like someone used terragen or something, its just.... to natural, real nature is more dynamic and strange.

edit: that would make a really good quote... "it's just, too natural. Real nature is more dynamic and strange"

Level 19
I'm still a bit confused about the rules, are we each doing one screenshot for each tileset or can we do as many as we like? Please make it so that each participant has to send the same amount of screenshots. For me I'd like only one for each. Because if we send different amount of screenshots, I think the person who has send most is going to get most votes. Making any number of screenshots is too time consuming anyway, so I would like a rule that only one screenshot.

@HappyTauren
Those cliffs are quite huge, I don't think Ashenvale has much of them.

@Ratherion
Try avoid using normal Ashenvale trees. Looks ok for me.

Level 8
Yea I know, its getting a bit out of hand. (I think at least 6 will drop b4 the end)

Fyi Jaakko, I think you can use the "blue light" doodad to darken areas, it worked for me.

Level 19
Fyi Jaakko, I think you can use the "blue light" doodad to darken areas, it worked for me.
I have already used it. It fits well with Ashenvale theme. I tried making some areas darker, but if I added too much blue light it went completely dark and had no light.

We have so many participants it will be hard to think who to vote. ^^

Level 8
Ic.

Yes, there are many very good terrainers joining (1st competition 4 me), and there will most likely be lots of ties.

Just wondering: Do we get partial rep if we come in 2nd/3rd, or have a notworthy terrain (unique, creative, just not all that well done?)

Level 19
First competition for me too. ^^ I think this terraining competition fits best for me, and it doesn't require much time.
Just wondering: Do we get partial rep if we come in 2nd/3rd, or have a notworthy terrain (unique, creative, just not all that well done?)
I think 2nd and 3rd will also be repped, at least that has been the case in every other competition.

Level 8
Ah, I was just curious because of the sheer number of terrains we have to make, and that the judging would have to be quick because of the new terrains coming out.

Level 8
Definetly not winning this part of the contest. I'm too busy tied up with art projects and english projects to devote any time to this :(

By teh way HS, i was having problems selecting the walls in UTM and i have no way to fix it. My only suggesstion is makign an ew doodad using one with infobox's and changing the model to the walls

Level 13
Yea, I was having the same problem. Its aggrivating lol. I'll try that if i have time. Thanks demonsofdante :wink: Anyway, im hoping to have my citadel done by today and then do the surrounding area within the next few days. (I usually terrain for about 5-10 hours at a time, pretty bad i know lol)
Edit: It didnt work :sad: I think the model might have some sort of selection glitch.

Last edited:
Level 2
Allright i have some WIP shots now, on some of them the terraining isnt near done, i think the first one is pretty good though. I'm not a skilled terrainer but i'd like to get better so tell me what i did good, what was bad, and ideas to improve that.

TerrainAshenvaleWIP1.jpg

TerrainAshenvaleWIP1c.jpg

I'll add a few more later tonight, when i've added a bit more on some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.