• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'll join, but how many screenshots do we need to do for each tileset?

I chose 2. At least 2 screenshots of your progress + the final screenshot. You can post more in different angles if you wish.

so... custom models are allowed and the use of WEU is allowed?

Use of custom Models, we'll see with each tileset, and as for the WEU, yes, you may use up to 16 ground tiles using it. If you do not wish to have any other ground tiles, that's your call.

I take it we are allowed buildings and units? What tileset are we using first?

Half of the question is not understandable, and the other half is totally mentioned in the first post.

Level 8
So.. i am a very good terrainer... but just went online wit by 1337 skillz... WEU = World Editor Ultimate? I can get where? tools section?

edit: found it, 1st time trying it out, so i might have wicked terrains or sucky ones... but i got a year so they will most likely pwn.. GL ALL!

Level 8
Well im pretty sure each tileset has its own deadline so people stay active...

I'm also hard at work transfering the files from the latest UTM to my versions

...I have over 200 more doodads to import.....woohoo....

Level 10
Sorry im busy with real life right now, im going to have to quite, anyway, I got a challenge with sephyir to do

Level 8
Damn. I don't think I'll be able to do 1337 terrain, but maybe...

@Ratherion: Actually, it is over a year for the whole contest, not just one terrain. Otherwise, people would leave. :emote_grin:

Oh i know... lol over 10 year contest... the Hive would probaly die b4 then.. But it will SURVIVE!! Just cauz its so cool... i mean ppl still play SC even though it's gone 10 yrs without a sequal... one better come out soon.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
So.. i am a very good terrainer... but just went online wit by 1337 skillz... WEU = World Editor Ultimate? I can get where? tools section?

edit: found it, 1st time trying it out, so i might have wicked terrains or sucky ones... but i got a year so they will most likely pwn.. GL ALL!

So confident. :)

Btw Rui are you going to make a new thread for every tileset? Long threads are so annoying.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Read the first post for god's sake. But since it appears not to clear anything, the first tileset is Ashenvale.

By the way, I advice not making terrains just yet. We are still waiting for the Ultimate Terraining Map. And we've got enough time, it's always better if other contests finish so people will concentrate on this one.

I have put your names in alphabetic order on the first post so you can easily know who is participing. You should post confirming your entreance on the contest, not just ordering "Rui do this, Rui do that".

Level 8
So the ultimate terrain is a base map with the models imported that we can change the tileset for for each terrain right? Thats sound like a good plan

@Rui: Ok... I won't work on it right know, I'll just wait until I can. :emote_grin:

I see nothing in that screenshot...

Btw can I use some work I have not yet published anywhere?

How can u not see anything in the screenshot. It is like a bay with a spooky road thingy and a lantern post thing. I also added some terrain so how can you not see anything? If you are saying that it is bad or something then say so. Also, just so you know, WIP stands for:
|W|ork
|I|n
|P|rogress
So that doesn't mean that I'm finished. I also might not do that. Sorry, I just kind of got a tantrum for some odd reason. lol :emote_grin:

Level 8
HUH?? I thought some1 else was... but if you want me to ok.. just give me the models and the map size and I can post it for everyone to base their terrains off of (need feedback from Rui on it 1st tho)

Level 8
I'm making it now...i only have another 15-20 doodads left to organize i believe. I'll be PMing to Rui (In case he/she wants to attach it to this thread)

I will also upload it in the thread titled Ultimate Terraining Map in the terraining forums

Level 1
The Ultimate Map is the one we'r talked about in here wich is the on at the moment in Terrain Topic? if yes: Then i have it now.
Just give me a deadline on when the first Terrain map should be finished and i will start making the map.
//Thanks Mega

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Thank you, demonsofdante! I will surely upload it on the front page.

[BROKE="+REP"]Clicky![/BROKE]

EDIT: By the way, I hope the version on the Ultimate Terraining Map thread is the correct, and anyway, I fear that link is wrong. The rep maintains though^^

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I think we are almost ready to get started. However, we will first need a complete Participant List; I want everything as organized as possible before we begin. So I guess the final vote is No for teams. For the participants, please make sure you can be contacted by an instant-message program, such as MSN.

I have an idea. One month is enough for more than one terrain, in my opinion. So, if everyone agrees to make 2 terrains, we can make 1 of those terrains a "special match". Such a two/three participant team work, or forest/fort/river match, or something. What do you think?

Special Matches

Yes(0):
No(0):

Level 8
How about for these special matches we make them mini terraining challenges such as the fortress terrain contest or a dungeon terrain contest? As in theres some sort of theme involved.

I think the special ones should be also be open to those not signed up in the participants list. It gives creative motivation and would help keep this contest alive. Cause odds are a lot of people did not join because they dont think they will be terraining the entire year.

Level 8
Hmm sounds good, so every month there is the main contest terrain from the list (this one is ashenvale) and there is also a secondary terrain you could make following a special theme that is open to all participants. Try and not make it too complicated, but it sounds fine.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Since April is only 30 days, and we don't know if it'll work out, I will ask only a single terrain to Ashenvale. If we notice delays or something on this, I will exclude the idea.

EDIT: The first post has been edited.

Last edited:
Level 7
I vote no, if people are teamed up, and they are both pros, then us newbs will have no chance, so it really isn't fair. Unless we get a even amount of newbs, and pros. Then you can put a newb and a pro together. But for now, I vote no.

Oh boohoo. I don't mean to be rude here but I politely suggest you be quite.

If you're good at something you're doing, then you deserve to excel in it. The same goes for competition entries. If your entry is really good and it's quality surpasses all other entries, then it deserves to win. Your entry can't be held back because some one worser then you begins to cry because they're entry is much worser than the better.

It's not really a competition if you don't have.. Well, competition.

I SUPPORT GROUPS.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I suggest for those who didn't understand the first post to read it again.

As for groups, as I've said, we can always make one of those special challenges a group-challenge. There can be two types of those team-matches, though. You can have a separated-team-match, where each member of the team will do a terrain and in the submission, their percentages will be divided by 2 (the number can change. If there are 3 people on that team, it will be divided by 3). The result will then be added to each user of the competition.
As for single-terrain-team-challenges, members of a group will make a single terrain, helping each-other.

Any questions, ask.

Level 19
Yes, I have two questions.

1) Can I use any models I want, or do I need to use the map pack?
2) Can I send for the Ashenvale month a screen I had almost finished before this contest even began? If I can I would still improve it though...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Jaakko said:
1) Can I use any models I want, or do I need to use the map pack?

I don't think it will be allowed. I haven't seen all the content of the Ultimate Terraining Map, but if it doesn't include the TableNoLegs model, you may use it. If possible, attach the TableNoLegs model here.

Jaakko said:
2) Can I send for the Ashenvale month a screen I had almost finished before this contest even began? If I can I would still improve it though...

You should post 2-3 screenshots of your progress. We don't want ripped-off terrains, and even with this system we can't be 100% certain.

By the way, I have changed the Deadline. The contest has officially began. Start posting screenshots of your progress, people!

Level 8
O dang thats top-notch, I wanted to use a lake... O well I'll use it in a different theme. Exellent job it looks great.

I suggest cleaning up the light sources a bit, the sky is light grey, but everything else is darker, exept the lake which is moonlight.... wisps and lanterns are very bright.... I don't know you could make it flow a bit better I think, maybe add some dark fog effects to the brighter sources and brighten the darker ones with lighter fog. Just a suggestion, very good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.