• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #3 - Four Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
hive468.gif

The Hiveworkshop's Terraining Contest

Four Seasons Terraining Contest

Each contestant must create one terrain, and then change it to fit all four seasons. Only one map needs to be submitted, but four screen shots are required.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. No team work is allowed.
  3. Map way based on UTM. Any additional imports must be cleared by the host.
  4. No additional importing is allowed into already existing and most up-to-date UTM map.
  5. No contestant may use his/her old works, submission must be made exclusively for this contest.
  6. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread for originality purposes.
  7. No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain (you may use them to crop off the World Editor).

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 30 reputation points and icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).

• 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

This is up for discussion as last contest 50/50 was used.

Judging
    Overall Appearance - How appealing your terrain is
    Theme - How relevant your terrain is to the theme
    Creativity - How creative you are with doodads and your overall terrrain
    Technical - How well you used everything; tile variation, doodad placement, atmosphere, ect.

Additional Imports:
Hut_1

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 4 weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on the 1st of August 2008 and conclude on the 24st of August 2008 0:00 AM, GMT

Note that the contest has been shortened. Contestants have five days left from today!

Last edited:
Level 6
I also plan to try this out. Been wanting to create a scene and create 4 seasons for it.

And thats actually a good question above. We create a scene, are we allowed to change tile sets for each season? As well as doodads and weather.

Level 12
By using the same map, are we only not allowed to change the height of the terrain but change everything else like doodads, tilesets? Because I dont see how else we can do that if we dont do 4 different areas in one map?

Read this example a forest! then u have trees,grass,flowers and so on in winter u will have to change the trees to snow trees! out diffrent tilest like ice and delete some stuff that dont belong in the winter season like flowers they die when it is cold u can make it rain in spring u can change the wether fog anything u like with only 1 terrain on 1 map!

Level 4
Read this example a forest! then u have trees,grass,flowers and so on in winter u will have to change the trees to snow! out diffrent tilest and delete some stuff that dont belong in the winter season like flowers they die when it is cold u can make it rain in spring u can change the wather fog anything u like with only 1 terrain on 1 map!

I'm not sure if you're clear on this, but we need to attach the map itself with proof of origin. It would be pretty awkward to replicate the same terrain four times in the same map.

Also, does the camera angle have to remain the same for all four screenies?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
It's not that hard, people.

- The terrain height stays the same all the time, so does the camera angle.
- The setting stays the same (where you have a tree for summer, you have a tree for winter, of the same kind, just snowy).
- The tileset varies with the seasons.
- The fog and effect vary with the seasons.
- The submitted map can be any season, it jsut needs to show that you've done ONE, to authenticate all the rest.

Level 34
Thanks frostwhisper. He's absolutely right except for one small thing.

I'll add how judging will work to the OP.

So basically I want to see the exact terrain in all four seasons. You can change whatever you like, but It has to be the same place. So if you do a cottage, I want to see the trees in the same spots, the cottage in the same spot, ect. You can change the things that would change with season.

Hope that makes sense.

Level 34
Well i am in as all ways!!! Four season in 4 pictures not a bad theme amd i hope void and MadSen dont join then i wont win ^^
What about Childeric? Everyone seems to overlook you Childeric, and yet you've won two already.

Level 34
I'd prefer to see WIPs, but don't expect me to review them, I don't think it's fair if the judge gives help to some and not all.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I talked to Gilles about the contest length, since I believe 30 days is too long, and the thread eventually dies for two weeks or so before the judging begins (if you remember last time).

So he told me to ask you, if you want the contest length to bee changed to 14-15 days instead.

Level 10
I think 3 weeks is better. 30 days was good for the last one because some people hopped on at the end. Maybe like 20 days for this one and see how it goes. For example, I start school up again in september so my August is busy as hell, giving people more time allows them to work around what they have to do.

Level 34
Tell you guys what. If there isn't any activity, I'll shut it down and judge them. If there are people still working, it will stay open the full thirty days.

Sound fair?

Level 15
Here are 2 wips which i personaly don't like much, one is summer, the other is autumn and i also have the spring ready but these wips probably won't be used so i won't upload... But critics are always a good thing.

Attachments

• 4 Seasons contest - autumn 1.jpg
    4 Seasons contest - autumn 1.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 4 Seasons contest - summer 1.jpg
    4 Seasons contest - summer 1.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 205
Level 34
I can appoint more judges if you want, but then it does usually eliminate some good terrainers.

Level 34
The map has nothing to do with judging, I only judge an image, the map is for verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.