• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #18 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
user160036_pic59500_1342547064.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
8.png

results.png

Playable Desert

full

Participants are to create a playable map depicting a desert; a region so arid because of little rainfall that it supports only sparse and widely spaced vegetation or no vegetation at all.

entries.png

contest%20judging.png

Bumhunter

Creativity 13/15
Excellent usage of the Nexus idea combined with a dried up place. Not much to say here besides the fact that you nailed it.

Detail 11/15
Well looked out for detail works. I love it. I just think that the glows combined with the ubercloud models is overkill.
In-game it would make the scrolling and approach near those a burden. Good intention but bad results.

Technique 12/15
Neat mate, just neat. 'love your works here.

Aesthetics 10/15
While the heights are a reminder of a more rocky desert it still is somehow too varied.
This factor is a bit underwhelming since the achieved result is somehow a reminder of a spam glow fest.

Total: 46

crabas_sakti

Creativity 5/15
Sadly this brings nothing new under the schorching heat of the desert.

Detail 3/15
One word comes to my mind; that being awfully flat. Now don't get me wrong, desert can be flat but NOT THAT FLAT.
Your terrain has some schreeching edges that could make even Notre-dame's hunchback have seizures. I think that this is really rushed and has some bothersome edges.
Deserts can be empty, but not completely empty. It is almost as if details were thrown out the window for the sake of finishing in time.

Technique 1/15
It is basic at best.

Aesthetics 6/15
The overall result yielded a barren piece of terrain with disconnected bits of isolated details, little tile variation and all in all an awfull silence of work.

Total: 15

Edge45

Creativity 14/15
Mui grande amigo! So much passion for this, bit' rushed at the edges but good call.
I'm loving the whole idea of the contrast between desert, military depot and oasis. Good work.

Detail 9/15
The details were failry fine. Albeit some were lacking appropriate tinting and scaling work all over the place.
I see some betterment at those but you're still not quite there, if you know what I mean. Some were too scarce, while others were totally random. See the desert area if you don't think that. Not enough vegetation in the oasis zone.
Not really a fan of the textures used in the depot area, quite contrasting compared to the rest of the terrain.

Technique 10/15
New, no but well chosen, yes. I do like the damn and the rocks here and there.

Aesthetics 9/15
Acceptable I suppose. Though not awfully fine, especially when seeing the building, rock and vegetation choice. Could work more on those to achieve a more coeherent end result.

Total: 42

Lightskin

Creativity 10/15
This reminds me of Silent Hill's woodland areas. It strikes me more of a burned forest than a desert type.
Tiny bit off beat here.

Detail 11/15
Fairly neglected detail work if you ask me. Bushes could've been more concentrated in clusters, just a bit more. Trees could've used more variation in models and tilt plus tint.
Could've used slightly more tile variation and height at edges and near the deserted town. The buildings could use some better tinting management and placing, same goes for the thrashed stuff and cars near the zone.
Not bad though.

Technique 8/15
The overall capacity shown here is fine and dandy. Could've used some new tricks either way.

Aesthetics 11/15
Finely achieved end result. Although you could've integrated better aspects of the forest, like webs and some clearings.
Good work nonetheless.

Total: 40

Marjosh38

Creativity 14/15
Well done, that much I give you mate. 'loving the whole approach to the desert idea. There's a certain flow to it that makes me appreciate it a lot since you've put much effort into it.
Good work.

Detail 12/15
Nicely done. There are some inconsistencies that drag it down however. Like tinting, some spamming rocks here and there, tile variation and some model choice.
The main problem here seem to be the textures used and not enough flow made to integrate them into the overall terrain.

Technique 9/15
I've seen better management but I'd say this is rather good.

Aesthetics 8/15
As I previously mentioned, the factors that drag it down are the textures, certain model placement, tilt and tinting.
Not bad but not great either.

Total: 43

Naze

Creativity 15/15
Hollobuckles! Props for the whole idea of drowned in sand ruins idea. 'loving it!
Good stuff all 'round the edges and more. Could've used some small gorges revealing underground ruins beneath all that sand.

Detail 13/15
Is that a dragon or just Pyritie? Heh, good call on the whole sunken ruins in sands feel. Lovely terrain fog and road textures around.
Nice work with the foliage and rock formations work, though the tiny green grass patches could've been ditched.

Technique 14/15
You've put a lot of work into thinking this through before diving in. Good techniques and work flow.
The tilted building and the skeleton bring some well needed eye candy work that makes up for a good approach at the ruins idea.

Aesthetics 12/15
The whole terrains reeks of a well made piece of ancient desert ruins. Great results achieved.

Total: 54

Rufus

Creativity ../15

Detail ../15

Technique ../15

Aesthetics ../15

Total: ..

Siscon Onii-san

Creativity 6/15
Could've used more omph here and there. Not bad, for a Babylon approach. Seems sketchy at best.

Detail 8/15
I was wondering what to say at first since it seems more like a work in progress terrain.
The bridge and the central city areas are quite good and looked out for. Though I'd say that they're not integrated that well with the desert.
With enough time, this would've turned quite alright.

Technique 2/15
There's no inovation that hasn't been done before.

Aesthetics 8/15
Not much to comment about but the whole Final Fantasy vibe it emanates. Very low on work flow and short on sight.
Could use more aesthetic details all over.

Total: 24

Score S = 25v/TOTv + 75j/TOTp

where v = votes entry received, TOTv = total poll vote count, j = score from the judge, and TOTp = total judge score possible.

tc18results.png

tc18winners.png
4. Edge45
5. Lightskin
6. Siscon Onii-san
7. crabas_sakti
8. Rufus

Congratulations, winners! Thank you Heinvers for judging the contest. Thank you all participants who submitted entries. Meet you again next time. And thank you fladdermasken for taking care of all the mumbo, jumbo contest hosting and calculations and shit. Self-service is my bread and butter!

Contest | Poll (click here to view the entries)

Level 28
Heyyy thank you guys. That was a fun competition. Thanks to Heinvers for the judging-feedback stuff. I'm curious on what Keiji would have said though. And of course, thanks for the mumbo-jumbo guy.

Could've used some small gorges revealing underground ruins beneath all that sand.

Indeed, that's a sexy idea! I even imported tha alpha tile but didn't use it.

Is that a dragon or just Pyritie?

Pyritie must've been kawaii-attacking the town before getting turned into stone by Elenai in his lawful-goodness.

Level 36
Really good work guys, it warm an old terraining heart to see that a terraining contest can still muster
some entries, and a playable terraining contest at that! If I'd been a mite more sentimental, I would've
probably be shedding a tear right now :)

I would like to congratulate the winners, and apologize for my untimely disability to judge the contest.
The fault is completely my own, but it happened. Thank you Heinvers, too, for taking the tiring and
far too underappreciated job of judging the contest. And finally:

I'm curious on what Keiji would have said

If you can be patient, then I can promise you a review before Christmas :p

Status
Not open for further replies.