• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Goolygot, if I'm not mistaken the trees are the main change to the terrain, and they don't add anything to it. Well, except perhaps the big ones. I'm sure there's some type of wasteland tree or weed you can use for this.
I'd recommend you spread your units evenly, and not cluster them in groups (of raiders, grunts, etc.). And what's that silver thing in the middle of the wall?
Also you should use texture variation when it comes to the ground.
Otherwise nice concept and execution, and very nice terrain overall.

Level 15
I'm working on the visibility of the ents, can you guys tell me how this is compared to the last one (as far as visibility goes)?

TC11 2nd.jpg

Thanks for your continued feedback ^-^

Level 51
I'm pretty near to my final entry.
But I'm not really sure.
I made 3 different pictures, 2 with fog, one without.
What should I take?

I prefer picture 1 without fog.

As I've already mentioned, remove the wall behind, and make some wastelands there. It doesn't need to be much, just some explosions and a wide desert. This way it just looks like a little skirmish, and not entirly like a battlefield.
But beside that, I love it ♥ =P

Level 31
Okay I tried to remove the rocks in the background.
I had to change the camera or else you couldn't see far.
I also tried to experiment with sky and day/night.
Here are many screenshots.

So what do you think?
Shall I keep the old camera with rocks in background?
Or take this new perspective with wasteland in the bg?
Is night or day better?

I think the old perspective was better.

Attachments

• TC11_FalloutTerrain08.jpg
    TC11_FalloutTerrain08.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 95
  • TC11_FalloutTerrain09.jpg
    TC11_FalloutTerrain09.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 84
  • TC11_FalloutTerrain10.jpg
    TC11_FalloutTerrain10.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 84
  • TC11_FalloutTerrain11.jpg
    TC11_FalloutTerrain11.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 73
  • TC11_FalloutTerrain12.jpg
    TC11_FalloutTerrain12.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 114
Level 51
Okay I tried to remove the rocks in the background.
I had to change the camera or else you couldn't see far.
I also tried to experiment with sky and day/night.
Here are many screenshots.

So what do you think?
Shall I keep the old camera with rocks in background?
Or take this new perspective with wasteland in the bg?
Is night or day better?

I think the old perspective was better.

you were understanding me false.

take the old camera perspective. it was way better and looked more epic. I just wanted that you remove the rocks and add some small lands there, just a background.

wasteland.jpg

or take a look at Oziris nuclear explosion, there you can see pretty good what I mean. it should be somewhere in the terrain section.

Level 15
@Raven0
OMG!!! Those were ents???
I thought they were trees...
Right now they look pretty messy, it's hard to understand what they are until you tell someone what they are.

If you see them from a 3d perspective in the editor you can easily tell they are ents, but for some reason from a snapshot 2d-perspective they look like a jumbled mess of trees and foliage. I don't know if I have time to re-do it, but i'm actively thinking of how to change it.

The problem is I am taking a relatively far shot of them. Ents are trees so if you take a picture of a bunch of them from far away thats exactly what they look like. An unfortunate result that isn't helped by the fact that I've placed many vines and shrubs on the ents which tend to fill in the gaps between their limbs.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
I've written this before and I'm writing it again - walk anims can't be applied by trigger functions. Can anyone help me display them ingame without making the units actually walk?

call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(unit, integer)

You can use Warcraft3 Viewer to get the index/integer of the animations or you just randomly guess until you find the right one. They (obviously) start at 0.

Level 23
@OffGraphic: As long as you do not really underline and show any real battle between to forces going on, this does not count as fitting to the contest. I see what you are aiming for, but this is only a critical statement, but does not cope with the theme of a battlefield.
However apart from this not fitting in, the idea is great in general

Level 15
Ah, I see. Try giving them some sort of Night Elven aura, like a leaf trail coming from their bodies.

There actually are leaves falling from their bodies, you just can't tell in the picture b/c they blend in with the ents. I think I'm going to try removing some of the detail on the ents so their form is clearer.

Level 7
Lava falls are nice by thenselves, but what i dislike is, that atm they dont realy look realistic. Thats cause other windows are totaly black. seems like the lava just appeared in this room and started to flow out of window. Other windows should have a light ornange glow, so it would seems that lava is in other rooms too.

Thats my opinion.

Level 12
That's a much deeper and more lavalike orange color indeed, but it's still abit too liquidy in my opinion. In fact I think lava is supposed to be so thick that it could almost never be erupted into a thousand tiny drops, like it does in the background. If you'll look at the splash nearest to the camera, near that small dead tree, you'll see the drops are thicker than of those behind it.
Other than that it's breathtaking, I could never make such lava.

hope there's nothing worth reading between 30-70, eh

oziris, yours is extremely messy, the right golem is just barely discernible as being a humanoid kind of thing, the left one is just really a bunch of sticks and bushes sticking up and attached to the other golem. the older style houses on the left look a bit strange with the skyscrapers beside them. that.. hole.. looks plain bad. its a giant eyesore, and draws a lot of attention to it, which just defeats the purpose of having two pretty cool golems there. also why is the sun shining through a storm front :/. i'm of mixed opinions about the right side though, not sure yet

i'll see if i can't throw something together

Belgarath, don't golems look humanoid, because I'm sure they do. What do you expect a treant to be other then sticks and bushes? >.> I have no skyscrapers an the hole should draw attention because it's the shit they've did when they've clashed with their fists. Have you ever seen a storm which ended and the sun started shining through the weak clouds? You can clearly see this isn't the black storm which is causing tornados, heavy rain and etc.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
What do you expect a treant to be other then sticks and bushes?
I'm sure that he'd look a lot better if he was closer to the camera, but in his current position plus with the lack of contrast he looks more like a big bush.

It seems that it gets a bit more messy with every update. You have golems fighting during a storm while the sun is shining, lava is jumping around and a giant, attention whoring hole.

What's the most important aspect in your shot? Maybe you should focus more on that one thing and tone down all the other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.