• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Competition #1 - Winter Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Special Effect Competition #1

attachment.php
Winter Wonderland!

Deadline: 31st January 2008 (0:00 AM, GMT) - with possible extension. Winner(s) will be decided by the final votes of a public poll.

This contest is about making Special Effects, but since only one SFX is rather simple and small, we'll be making SFX packs. The effects have to be centered around the chosen theme, Winter Wonderland, meaning the effects must be related to frost, snow or ice.

New to SFX? Well it just so happens there's a tutorial available to learn the basics right here.

Basic info about SFX
What is an SFX?

SFX stands for Special Effects, and are mostly made of particles, ribbons and one-poly models called "planes". So far as I know, there are two kinds of SFX:

One-shot Effects:
-Usually a single burst of particles used for explosions and the like. These are usually made of one "birth" sequence that is non-looping. One-shots use particles, but not many planes and ribbons.

Buff Effects:
-These are long lasting Effects with Stand and Death Sequences (stand being looping) and occasionally Birth. These are mostly used for buffs like divine shield, and are a mix of planes, particles and ribbons.

For more info, read the tutorial I mentioned before.
All effects created for this contest must follow the following guidelines:
  • In-game textures only.
  • Buff effects require proper animation sets including
    • Birth
    • Stand
    • Death
  • Effect must be decently scaled, meaning it can't get any bigger than a 512
    square in the World Editor (the yellow grid).
  • Particle cap is set to 1000.
  • You must make at least two different effects in your pack.
  • All effects must be centered around the chosen theme.

Rules and Guidelines:
  • Follow requirements above.
  • You have to make sure the model(s) is fully and correctly functional in-game.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires.
  • You must make the model for this competition. Which means that you cannot use old works.

Prizes:
The winner will receive +40 Reputation Points and a Special Award Icon.
Second place will receive +25 Reputation Points.
Third place will receive +10 Reputation Points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Edit someone else's work? Or in game stuff?

No to editing anyone else's work, editing in game effects is permitted but it must be significantly altered.

Level 12
Suggests

I'm sorry I'm posting even though im not gonna join
And you guys probably have your minds made up

But, I was workin on some spells that had to do with frost nova

-Ice shard projectiles (one w/ a looping flipping motion)(the second like the quillboars attack)
-Ice shard falling object
-A seperated frost explosion (if you know how to do a ground effect to go with it, seeing an explosion that doesn't hurt the ground is just wrong)
-A frozen unit buff (ice on a unit sort of like divine shield)
-Snowball projectile :)D)

[I realize a frozen unit buff isn't too exciting, but maybe one that effects him in stages, they way ice does to Link if you've ever played Zelda]

Just a few things blizzard doesn't have that would be cool
(I'm not asking as a request, just puttin the ideas out there for you guys)

Level 12
I mean like FROZEN

visible ice around them, not just cold

Like stuck in a block of ice type of thing

Except an unconformed shape, with more detail

I probably shouldn't have used divine shield as an example :wbored:

Level 12
Oh

I see

Well anyway, the other suggests aren't bad, although you could make a snowball out of the frost wyrms attack (but you'd need to scale it, and the ball looks like its falling apart)

Just scratch the buff from the list, although a Zelda type ice effect would be really cool to use in an ice version of storm bolt

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Edit someone else's work? Or in game stuff?

No to editing anyone else's work, editing in game effects is permitted but it must be significantly altered.
Here's your answer. But the point really is to make the stuff from scratch...

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Of course you can ask for help or fixes, no problem.

WIP of an iceberg model. It's untextured and unanimated, but I got the basic mesh.

Basically that big blob appears in the air, hovers for a second, then smashes down, particles appear, then those other small blobs appear and scatter everywhere (ice fragments).

Attachments

• iceberg WIP 1.JPG
    iceberg WIP 1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 246

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Chriz: I want to make my SFX in 3ds. But I cannot seem to animate, advance model (while I'm asking for help) or ect.

Can you help me?

Perhaps make a tutorial, or a quick explanation, ect.

Explain what you want to do and I'll try to give you a little outline of a tutorial.

Level 24
I'm gonna enter this competition.

Only made my first SFX ever last night though, so I probably won't be able to come up with anything that great.

I'll post a wip soon.

Edit: Ok heres to wips of some effects I made. Not sure what the second one is, just made it, so not even sure if I'll include it in my pack eventually.

Attachments

• ScreenAlpha1.jpg
    ScreenAlpha1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 199
  • ScreenAlpha2.jpg
    ScreenAlpha2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.