• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Competition #3 - Citadel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stormy Castle Citadel

My citadel.
kinda rushed the icon..

Interface Icon:
BTNStormyCastleCitadelP.jpg DISBTNStormyCastleCitadelP.jpg

Attachments

• HCC_InGame.jpg
    HCC_InGame.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 606
  • HCC_Preview.jpg
    HCC_Preview.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 581
  • StormyCastleCitadel.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 184

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Wow Illidan, that's an awesome entry, seriously jaw-dropping. The work animation is brilliant!

You guys have all of the 11th to submit, but once the clock strikes the 12th, the contest is officially closed.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Clean entry RDZ, but don't forget the in game screenshot.

WILL, I recall TDR saying that skin modifier doesn't work for WCIII, you have to use bones for animation, as in separating the mesh into pieces etc. I think that's what you mean by skin modifier.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Just add one to your post to make it easy for the poll. Please : >

Clean entry RDZ, but don't forget the in game screenshot.

WILL, I recall TDR saying that skin modifier doesn't work for WCIII, you have to use bones for animation, as in separating the mesh into pieces etc. I think that's what you mean by skin modifier.

Actually, skin modifier is what links a bone to a piece of a mesh. You use an "envelope" to cover the places you want to be moved by a certain bone...

How do you rig, anyway?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Actually, skin modifier is what links a bone to a piece of a mesh. You use an "envelope" to cover the places you want to be moved by a certain bone...

How do you rig, anyway?

Ah yes, that's precisely what doesn't work.

You have to select parts of meshes which you want to be able to be animated, detach them, you then attach the separate pieces to their respective bones.

All you have to do then is make sure that the connect option is selected in the user property editor so that the mesh stays attached.

Ah yes, that's precisely what doesn't work.

You have to select parts of meshes which you want to be able to be animated, detach them, you then attach the separate pieces to their respective bones.

All you have to do then is make sure that the connect option is selected in the user property editor so that the mesh stays attached.

... uh, I didn't get it... ok maybe you should check this tutorial and go to the animating section so you know how GMAX rigging works, unless you already know...

How can barely 160 vertices be too many?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Well I recall that skin modifier doesn't work with Warcraft, but perhaps that's only with Max5 and not Gmax.

Have you ever gotten any model animated like this to work before?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Lets get those entries in people. We've got two so far.

Level 7
Almost done with the animation. Gmax f*cked it up completely twice, I had to reanimate it. I'm still reading animation tuts for beginners... still need to solve team color&camera... and it's still in gmax. I have to convert it. I haven't slept since Saturday, and still working on it. PLease accept my entry if I'm in a little (about half or one hour) late. I've worked on it too much to be disquaified because of that f*cking Gmax or any exporters' speed.

Level 7
I did.

I did all the work: the modeling, the texturnig, the alpha channel, the bones, the animating (yeah, they are simple, but they ARE).

...but when I tried to export, everything seemed to be fucked up.

I got the VertexCountSkin error about 40 times: I tried it, then tried to delete & redo the skin modifier (as Magos suggested), then tried it with a skin modifier in every single mesh as Will did. Of course all of the methods fucked up the animation, so I reanimated it 3-4 times again.... but even now, the VertexCountSkin error is still here. Even single meshes with 140 polies, with a single skin modifier produced errors (I also tried to export separate parts). I was like: "OMG THIS CANNOT BE POSSIBLE! AAAAHHH!!!!"

So I give up! But I think I've done all the work (as said above). The one thing needed is the MDX conversion and the ingame screenshot. So... if it's possible... accept this. (By this I mean can I enter the contest without submitting the ingame screenshot? I'll provide the gmax file and the textures tomorrow.)

I'm stealing someone's internet connection by WiFi and it's soooo slow so I cannot upload. (with a notebook). But I'll upload the gmax file and the texture tomorrow.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Gmax seems to be a pretty big problem for multiple people. It is a shame because these are supposed to be for warcraft, and as such, even if I allow the gmax files/screenshots to enter, they won't likely get any votes due to the lack of mdx.

I really don't know what you guys are doing wrong, isn't there a gmax expert on this site somewhere to consult?

Can you export the model without animations? If that's the case, animations could be transferred from existing buildings using oinkerwinkle tools and Magos. For the sake of entering the contest at least.

If you guys decide to do this, I might consider one more extension, because your tools were being faulty.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Maybe you can diagnose their problems, Illidan?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Less than two hours people. I'm not extending anything anymore.

I did.

I did all the work: the modeling, the texturnig, the alpha channel, the bones, the animating (yeah, they are simple, but they ARE).

...but when I tried to export, everything seemed to be fucked up.

I got the VertexCountSkin error about 40 times: I tried it, then tried to delete & redo the skin modifier (as Magos suggested), then tried it with a skin modifier in every single mesh as Will did. Of course all of the methods fucked up the animation, so I reanimated it 3-4 times again.... but even now, the VertexCountSkin error is still here. Even single meshes with 140 polies, with a single skin modifier produced errors (I also tried to export separate parts). I was like: "OMG THIS CANNOT BE POSSIBLE! AAAAHHH!!!!"

So I give up! But I think I've done all the work (as said above). The one thing needed is the MDX conversion and the ingame screenshot. So... if it's possible... accept this. (By this I mean can I enter the contest without submitting the ingame screenshot? I'll provide the gmax file and the textures tomorrow.)

I'm stealing someone's internet connection by WiFi and it's soooo slow so I cannot upload. (with a notebook). But I'll upload the gmax file and the texture tomorrow.

You dont have to reanimate. just go to the frame settings and set the "end" time to whatever you had in the first place. All your keyframes are there and safe.

For the skin problem, remove all skin modifiers, and redo them for each mesh seperately (not groups, just 1 mesh at a time). Skin modifiers get bugged when shared by mutiple meshes.

As fo rmy entry, I tested animating in Magos' editor. Doesn't work, since the model completly disapears, but the key frames are fine. I can only guess it was the skin modifier that caused the problem.

So yeah, no way am i getting my entry in time.

Level 7
I've tried it without anims of course... with a separate skin modifier in every single mesh... I even tried to export single meshes.

So I cannot enter? That't sad to hear, but "carpe diem"...

Anyway, I would like to show what I've done, so here it is:

Citadel of Dreams

View attachment 7539

Attachments

• tex.tga
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • tex.blp
    793.9 KB · Views: 115
  • citadel_of_dreams.rar
    190.3 KB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.