• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Effects pack contest

Would you enter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Oh well, I guess I'm the best now. :)

^ Proof. Anyway, I'm terribly rusty as I haven't made shit in who knows how long. You on the other hand, have been releasing awesome stuff one after another. Who knows, you probably are the best fx maker now. You even know how to animate bones and stuff. I still don't. :( Anyway, I'll still give it my best and good luck to all who participate :) Oh and btw, If you included custom textures, I'd own everyone ^^

Level 35
as but true, hardly anyone makes fx these days. everyone prefers geoset merges and other models instead of sfx. People who DO make fx are people who are new and have just started playing around with particles. Hopefully more people will enjoy the field as much as you and I do once they make more sfx. I just hope this contest starts soon =)

as but true, hardly anyone makes fx these days. everyone prefers geoset merges and other models instead of sfx. People who DO make fx are people who are new and have just started playing around with particles. Hopefully more people will enjoy the field as much as you and I do once they make more sfx. I just hope this contest starts soon =)

Like me? I like particles.

I just never release anything.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Thing is, the SFX business such a small business... just like animating.
Too true, but the animating contest surprised me, so perhaps this one will as well. I'll host it tomorrow if we can think of a theme and rules. Perhaps WILL could copy the format from one of the prior contests and fill in all the rules and info, and once we decide on a theme I'll gladly host it asap.

My suggestion: Winter Wonderland. Any effects that have to do with frost, ice or snow.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Okay then we're set. Like my theme? Or any other ideas?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

As many as you want, it'll be a pack.

And WILL and Py, I'll need your help making sure the entries follow the rules, I don't know enough about particles to do it on my own.

Wait - Instead of just ice/frost, could we do elemental instead? Cold stuff isn't much of a wide area, and it's hard to think of sfx blizzard already hasn't made.

So if it was elemental there'd be a lot more freedom.

Oh, and would this be judged based on how it looks ingame, or how it looks in Magos? I'd say it should be the former, obviously.

And is it just using ingame textures?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Wait - Instead of just ice/frost, could we do elemental instead? Cold stuff isn't much of a wide area, and it's hard to think of sfx blizzard already hasn't made.

So if it was elemental there'd be a lot more freedom.
I just thought frost/ice would be good for Wintertime. Also, it'll make it easier to determine who's is the best because it would be easier to compare them. But it's up to the public.

Oh, and would this be judged based on how it looks ingame, or how it looks in Magos? I'd say it should be the former, obviously.
Whatever the voter decides, it will be a public poll.

And is it just using ingame textures?
Yes.

Here are the rules:

-Particles should be capped to 1000. 1000 is huge anyway, and it also makes it so people understand bigger isn't better.
-An SFX isn't only particles. You can use geometry, just don't make it an entire unit with attack and spell anims.
-Also, the SFX shouldn't be any bigger than a yellow grid square in the WE (512 by 512).
-Ingame textures only.
-Feel free to base yourself on an already made Blizzard Effect, but the model must be considerably different from the original.
-You need at least 2 effects in your pack.

Filesize can't possibly be a problem. Particle effects range from 1 to 20 KBs, but it can get slightly bigger with geometry.
And Elements theme could be better than ice/snow, and this includes the "Dark" and "Light" elements.

As for rewards, I'll let the mods decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.