• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Effects pack contest

Would you enter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SFX Contest

This contest is about making Special Effects, but since only one FX is rather simple, and small, we'll be making FX packs. The Effects have to be centered on one theme, of your choice.

NOTE: Depending on the type of contest this turns into, themes may be limited to a single theme for all participants, a bit like the modelling and texturing contests.

RULES:

-Ingame textures only. Importing extra textures for SFX can be a little annoying.
-Effect must be decently scaled, meaning it can't get any bigger than a 512
square in the World Editor (the yellow grid).
-Particle cap is set to 1000, which is still huge (this rule is subject to change).
-You must make at least 2 effects in your pack.
-All effects must be centered around one theme (of your choice or a single theme).

New to SFX? Well it just so happens there's a tutorial available to learn the basics right here.

Deadline will be decided once the contest is approved.

Winner will be decided by public vote.

Basic info about SFX
What is an SFX?

SFX stands for Special Effects, and are mostly made of particles, ribbons and one-poly models called "planes". So far as I know, there are two kinds of SFX:

One-shot Effects:
-Usually a single burst of particles used for explosions and the like. These are usually made of one "birth" sequence that is non-looping. One-shots use particles, but not many planes and ribbons.

Buff Effects:
-These are long lasting Effects with Stand and Death Sequences (stand being looping) and occasionnally Birth. These are mostly used for buffs like divine shield, and are a mix of planes, particles and ribbons.

For more info, read the tutorial I mentioned before.

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I'd do it I think, and I have a friend who might join as well.

Level 32
If this contest is to be approved, it's going to need a lot of further development.

WILL: You must do the "leg work" to develop your idea into a viable contest. Refer to approved or completed contests to study examples of rules, judging, time limits. etc.

Please describe SFX models and their use(s) in greater detail: include screenshots for eye candy.

If approved, this contest (may) be conducted in a forum other than the main arena: modeling competitions take place there on a regular, almost constantly ongoing basis.

Level 4
I might participate in that contest, but I would like to know what tools are recommended for that (is 3dsmax necessary?)

Level 35
I think I would consider entering...although I am not exactly sure how to make effects...I could perhaps do a little work with 3ds, and magos...and I could also use some existing effects as reference..Like I did with Azrael's black fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.