• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rise of the Lich King Reanimated 1.2

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.

Rise of the Lich King Reanimated

A remake of the Rise of the lich king campaign from ~15 years ago

What is Rise of the lich king ?
(c'n'p from map description)
An alternate story following the Frozen throne campaign. WOW and the Rexxar story never happened and the Lich King is not content to just sit on his cold chair for years. Play as blood elves, nagas, humans and undead.

Patch version : made and tested with 1.27 , it should work on later patches

Overview :​

• 10 playable maps + 4 cutscenes
  • Difficulty : between Blizzard normal and hard overall
  • Playable races : bloodelves, nagas, undead and humans
  • Gameplay : varied like the Frozen Throne campaigns, with some inspiration from Starcraft 2

Why would you want to play this campaign ?​

• Gameplay-wise each map has a twist
    → for example : a holdout mission but it's a naval mission or a whole city, or a squad mission with a stealth phase + 3 maps have scripted boss battles

• Expanded tech-tree for each playable race + the dwarven race as an enemy
    → at least 1 new playable unit on each map, and most new units are introduced on a map where they are particularly useful (like in Starcraft 2 campaign)

• Maps with different tilesets (and different weather conditions/atmosphere)
    → from the ice of Northrend to the jungles and city of Theramore, but also the ruins of Lordaeron, mountains of Khaz Modan and desert of Barrens

• Rewarding exploration : side quests, creep camps and items to find + One special hidden Easter egg on each playable map

• No padding in the cleanup of enemy bases : you can destroy every enemy unit and building if that's what you like, but the objective is usually a particular building or at worst stopping the production capabilities of the enemies (there is one exception but it's not exactly a traditional base)

• Quality-of-life features : all cutscenes are skippable (duh), all units are paused when the camera shows you something, creeps buildings are either auto-attacked or non attackable, crates that can contain items are a different color than those that are just scenery, rocks chunks all die when you destroy one, etc.

• All custom music : for cutscenes and gameplay, with different tracks for some maps (holdout missions for example) for better immersion : 36 tracks total

• Tons of custom resources mostly from this site for units, icons, spells, and doodads for better terraining + a few sounds for atmosphere : almost 500 files total

• An alternative storyline that gives character arcs or at least some personality to all main heroes – but keep in mind Blizzard didn't do much with some of them like Vashj so your interpretation of them could be different from mine– it IS a fanfiction in campaign form after all

• Terraining is at least at Blizzard campaigns level

• Cutscenes are not just people talking : camera work and details like units moving in the background should make even simple conversations feel dynamic + more than a few battles/spells etc.

• It should be a very polished experience (barring unexpected bugs)

Characters​

full

Prince Kael'Thas Sunstrider

Now that his master has been defeated and this source of magic lost, the situation of the bloodelves seems more desperate than ever. With the undead coming after him, he will soon have to decide between avenging the fallen and saving the survivors...
full

Lady Vashj

Still as cold-blooded and power-hungry as ever, the leader of the nagas still hates the nightelves but has found an even stronger hatred for Arthas after he killed Illidan. The Lich King is now her primary target for revenge, but the nagas alone can't hope to defeat the Scourge...

full

Sylvanas Windrunner

Unaware of the new situation in Northrend, the banshee managed to conquer almost all of Lordaeron. The Forsaken have won each battle against the forces of Kel'Thuzad, and now it's time to slay the favorite servant of the hatred Arthas and become the Queen of his former kingdom.

full
Varimathras

Still the cowardly and scheming demon we all know and love hate, he is happy to serve Sylvanas until an opportunity to overthrow her presents itself. But he's eager to finish the conquest of Lordaeron because fighting only undead enemies gets old after a while...

full

Kel'Thuzad

The loyal lich which stayed in Lordaeron to hold the kingdom for Arthas is in a tricky situation as Sylvanas is a much better tactician than him. But even as he's about to lose his last stronghold, he's not too worried, as he trusts his master the Lich King will save him or, in the worst case scenario, will raise him again.
full

The Lich King

After the fusion between the mortal Arthas and the entity that was once called Ner'zhul, the new Lich King has retained most of the death knight's personality. However, with each passing day his perspective is expanding more beyond individual concerns. He now wants to unify all of Azeroth under the undead banner of the Scourge to prepare for the inevitable return of the Legion.

full

Jaina Proudmoore

After organizing the exodus of the survivors from the human kingdoms with the help of the fleet of her father, the young sorceress has become the leader of the new nation founded on Theramore. The small island colony has become a real city in record time, thanks to the magic of the surviving mages all working together.

full

Admiral Daelin Proudmoore

Jaina's father is a grizzled soldier from the Second war, but he didn't fight directly in the recent battles against the Scourge and the Legion that much, as he was tasked to protect the civilians and bombard the coastal bases of the enemy from the sea. He trusts the dwarves and elves of the old alliance, but is still wary of the new allies his daughter found, especially the orcs.

full

Danzil Rainweaver

This old archmage from the Kirin Tor was lucky enough to be outside Dalaran when Archimonde attacked the city. He is now technically the senior archmage and could order Jaina if the old hierarchy still existed, and more importantly, if he cared. But fortunately this good-natured but odd character prefers to leave those responsibilities to “people-persons”.

Video

Changelog

Credits

Known bugs/limitations

2022/23 playthrough by Jayborino (version 1.1) :

[2022-06-26] version 1.0 release
[2022-07-21] version 1.01 release
[2022-08-07] version 1.02 release
[2022-11-28] version 1.1 release
[2023-05-07] version 1.2 release (post-jayborino showcase, thanks again !)
-minor translation fixes
-minor fixes on unit descriptions
-changed a few dialogs in cutscenes
-players can now choose all heroes abilities on the 1st map they appear (1,2,4)
-fixed some cutscenes when the preparation was briefly visible in-game before the cutscene starts
-destructibles that can contain items now appear in a different color
-changed one Easter egg so it's more visible
-added a hero glow on vashj & varimathras
-fixed possessed units still receiving orders from former AI owner
-in the prologue the cutscene won't wait for some undead units to dispel anymore
-in map1 fixed the tuskarr quest in case you complete the objective before meeting them
-in map1 the enemy hero shouldn't pick up items anymore
-in map2 the Scourge won't attack the bandits if they're not already dead anymore
-in map4 fixed the portal stone not dropping from the gnoll
-the basilisk acidic attack ability now has a passive icon
-fixed the ending of map5 if you destroy the undead buildings instead of holding until the counter ends (speedrun)
-Monsoon now has a unique icon
-in map7 fixed the (living) eredar in the fel orc base
-in map7 killing a fel hound now makes its indicator disappear
-rephrased the tip for map8, hopefully it's clearer now
-in map8 the ambushes can't happen anymore if you already destroyed the portal of the undead faction
-in map8 fixed the transition between the 2nd portal destroyed and ending cutscenes
-fixed the bug with fire shield taking all mana of upgraded spellcasters on which it is cast (worldedit works in mysterious ways...)
-in map1 fixed the animation bug on spiderwebs after death
-in map1 prevented dialogs between the heroes to interfere with side quests cutscenes
-reset health&mana to max for squad sections following base sections (map2&4)
-in map4 fixed some places where units could go on lava
-nerfed basilisk a little bit (damage, armor and health reduced, more expensive)
-in map6 put Kelthuzad's portal a bit farther from the enemy base
-in map6 fixed cemetary side quest not existing if you do it without the shade discovering it first
-in map6 fixed some groups of palmtrees looking unnatural
-in map7 removed quilboar prisoners which gave wrong expectations to players
-in map8 made buyable books more expensive and longer to restock
-in map9 the teleport staff doesn't work on allies anymore so you can't use it to go beyond barricades
-in map9 reduced the probability of seeing the allies idle before you approach them
-in map10 fixed hotkeys for jaina and malfurion new abilities
-in map10 you now lose if you let the admiral die while he's recuperating in the base
-in map10 gave hero ghosts a few more levels and health
-changed the loading screen : Arthas now appears as the Lich King
-gutface is now properly dead after his death cutscene even if the player skips the cinematic before he dies on screen
-the admiral should now stay in the base after his injury until he joins you in the last boss fight
-the enemy and allies spawn waves shouldn't interfere during the cutscenes anymore
-changed 3 unit icons for better versions
-fixed and changed some text : dialogues, tooltips etc.
-buffed the eredar's tentacles by giving them the damage & armor upgrades like the skeletons
-the eredar's finger of pain no longer works on your own units
-in map1 the ambush now gives a tome
-in map1 fixed the animation bug on more spiderwebs after death
-in map1 fixed the ending cutscene firing multiple times if you buy multiple ships
-in map2 rock chunks at the base of sylvanas's base are now invulnerable before the scourge destroys it
-in map2 fixed the siege quest not firing after you've eliminated the traitors in the base if you use possession on the last one
-in map3 all "atmosphere" creeps are now invulnerable
-in map3 the cycloned units don't block your way anymore so the hydra part should be easier
-in map4 changed the color of the AoE indicator of the boss so it's hopefully easier to see + changed the voice line
-in map4 removed the enemy sheep in the pass :D
-in map6 the player shouldn't be able to sequence break the kelthuzad part by attacking buildings across the bridge before finishing the 1st part anymore
-in map6 fixed the bug where some player units stayed hidden and were unavailable after the 2nd kelthuzad cutscene
-in map7 fixed the possible exploit with centaurs not moving when the player goes in their village, now they're gonna make you regret it
-in map7 removed some cacti doodads that could be confusing with the message about water
-in map7 changed the fel orc dialogue about mannoroth so it makes more sense
-in map9 made the city center visible to hopefully give a better idea of the layout of the map at the start
-in map9 decreased the blue fog a bit for better readability
-in map10 fixed the druids of the claw still looking elven in bear form
-in map10 the terrorizing howl of Sapphiron should be more effective
-in map10 changed the hotkey to Z for all new hero abilities

First thanks to CosmicBard for the constructive criticism on the ongoing project,
to Warseeker for the campaign loading screen
and to Jayborino for showcasing the campaign on his channel

• I made the cutscenes for 16/9 (I use the widescreen mode) so the framing may be wonky if you play in 4/3

• Reloading can change the custom music playlist (in sieges maps for example)

• some custom models lack buff attachements or have other small bugs

• in map3 the saving/loading/exiting can lag

• if you use the mana recharge ability with more than one Lightbearer, they all use it, like it worked in starcraft 1

• in map 5 the runes of mana/health are randomly dropped when some enemy ships die but the game spawn items only on ground so some might spawn in unreachable islands

Contents

Rise of the Lich King Reanimated 1.2 (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Overall, a lovely remaster, well, more than a remaster actually, part remaster, part remake. Approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission Rules M A P - D E S...
Level 29
So I'm having an issue with portraits in cutscenes, where the portrait borders don't line up. Is there some graphic setting I need to adjust?
It's reforged man, you shouldn't play on that this campaign: it's not made under it. Check "Recommended version" section + description.
I'm not even responsible for producing an issues, but it's clear that some campaigns tend to buggy on Reforged.
Follow this post below (VanAndro) if you want to get non-Reforged W3:

Level 3
I don't know if it's me but in first mission the goblin sidequest doesn't work for me. I give the items like I have seen on someone doing it on youtube and there is no update at all.

Level 29
I don't know if it's me but in first mission the goblin sidequest doesn't work for me. I give the items like I have seen on someone doing it on youtube and there is no update at all.
Might be related to the game version (1.31.1 or Reforged), especially if you had previously loaded your progress (saves) on 1.31.1.
If this is the right case, then you should play the campaign on the version that the author suggested on.

Level 3
Might be related to the game version (1.31.1 or Reforged), especially if you had previously loaded your progress (saves) on 1.31.1.
If this is the right case, then you should play the campaign on the version that the author suggested on.
I downloaded 1.31.1 from this forum and started the campaign on that version. The author said it should work on 1.27 and later. I also went back to save file and tried to get the quest with a different hero, and give quest items with a different hero it didn't work at all.

Level 13
I downloaded 1.31.1 from this forum and started the campaign on that version. The author said it should work on 1.27 and later. I also went back to save file and tried to get the quest with a different hero, and give quest items with a different hero it didn't work at all.

WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO) - from here you can download the version of Wc3 that will solve the problem. It is advisable if you want the smoothest possible gameplay to follow the recommended version for the respective campaign. Use the key you already have if the game asks for it.

Last edited:
Level 29
I highly suggest not playing a custom campaigns on 1.31.1. There are a lot of issues that might not be fixed by Blizzard.

WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO) - from here you can download the version of Wc3 that will solve the problem. It is advisable if you want the smoothest possible gameplay to follow the recommended version for the respective campaign. Use the key you already have if the game asks for it.
After installing the game, be very careful that you have to start the game using "Warcraft III.exe". Using the other ways to play the game, even clicking on Battle.net will install the Reforged instead.

Level 3
I highly suggest not playing a custom campaigns on 1.31.1. There are a lot of issues that might not be fixed by Blizzard.

After installing the game, be very careful that you have to start the game using "Warcraft III.exe". Using the other ways to play the game, even clicking on Battle.net will install the Reforged instead.
Thanks for the suggestions. What version is your suggestion for overall best performance wih custom campaigns?

Level 29
Thanks for the suggestions. What version is your suggestion for overall best performance wih custom campaigns?
Deepstrasz actually recommends 1.30.4.
The issue with older versions is that you only miss out on new content made with newer ones (such as Undead Dagger item or special Knight upgrade). Also, AI heroes were still able to learn their spells, a feat that was absent in 1.31.1.

Level 26
After I finished your campaign second or third time, here is "nitpicking" section for you (nothing serious here):
Rise of the Lich King Reanimated - Barricades of demonic origin.png

Hope the Humans of the island have something say about these barricades, because oh boi, I want to know where and who made a pact with the demons, to get these here!
Rise of The Lich King Reanimated - Island full of neutral creeps.png

Neutral Creeps in the stealthy boat map. They have nothing to drop, but it's intresting to see them, in "Neutral" state of mind.

Level 3
I'm a rather demanding player, but I liked this campaign a lot. It is very obvious a lot of effort went into it. Gameplay is smooth and kept me interested through the whole thing, difficulty level is on point (except that human wizard's boss fight, gotta admit I used cheats there) and the music selection is superb. If I had to point out something that I found missing, it would be a bigger diversity in equipment for the heroes, but really, that doesn't matter if you keep in mind the quality of the whole thing.

Thank you for making this.

Level 20
Thanks for the comment and vote !
...difficulty level is on point (except that human wizard's boss fight, gotta admit I used cheats there) and the music selection is superb. If I had to point out something that I found missing, it would be a bigger diversity in equipment for the heroes...
For the undead tauren boss fight, you're supposed to avoid melee by stunning him with the shock traps, but I don't know how to make it clearer... Maybe have Danzil say a dialogue but then I'm not sure people read the dialogues in the middle of combat

For the items you mean new custom ones ? Cause there are quite a lot to pick up or buy

Level 3
Thanks for the comment and vote !

For the undead tauren boss fight, you're supposed to avoid melee by stunning him with the shock traps, but I don't know how to make it clearer... Maybe have Danzil say a dialogue but then I'm not sure people read the dialogues in the middle of combat

For the items you mean new custom ones ? Cause there are quite a lot to pick up or buy
The ideal strategy is instantly clear, but the arena circle seemed too small to me and even though I kept running along the edge, the tauren had a long enough attack range that he hit me too many times (to be fair I would blame the game engine for this, it's just not designed to make "dodging" possible in a small space). My shock trap was at level 1 (because I love chain lightning too much, monsoon had seemed interesting at the beginning and Danzil is capped at level 8) and it didn't seem to stun the tauren 100% of the times. I even tried to combine the healing salve with the invisibility potion to regain my hitpoints, but the boss also had a decent HP regeneration so the attempt was fruitless. I could have restarted the map and leveled up the shock trap, but I have no patience nowadays :p

I guess I was just unfortunate to have a weak shock trap, but I think it's not impossible that other players would have the same issue.

And regarding items... This is probably due to my personal playstyle (which may or may not be too casual, I don't know), but my inventory consisted mostly of circlets of nobility, 1 orb per hero and in chapter 10, hoods of cunning and the amulet that resists one spell every 40 seconds. The staff of silence was good, but I don't recall finding any other powerful item that I deemed worthy of taking an item slot. I think it would have added to the thrill to find an artifact somewhere or an expensive magic item. Or maybe I missed something, who knows.

But I insist, neither of these two things matter much. They didn't ruin the fun at all :)

Level 13
The only downsides I could see in version 1.2 are that Jaina's Mass Teleport only works for her and her units - the level at which they defend the castle with Kael for 20-30 minutes.

And this overlap here: Warcraft III Screenshot 2023.09.14 - 18.25.46.40.png

Thanks that not all units are "locked" in the game so I can use some upgrades.
Played on 1.27.

Level 10
Pretty great campaign all around. There's not much to say. It was awesome playing with these models. The story is original to some extent here with characters made by Blizzard, who kept to their ideals for the most part. It was a fun experience and it probably deserves to be in my top 10 custom campaigns that I played. There are many campaigns that cover this time period of the Lich King, and this certainly stands among the best.

Level 11
you know i remember seeing this campaign playthrough on YT cant remember much but i can recall the admiral getting killed in the end and arthas kinda freeing himself ?
anyway lets get straight into whats cool and whats not i played it on 1.26

so first off first nice blood elf tech tree you over there the buildings look cool and the swordman ability is kinda nice , i like the ranger the most out of all blood elf units :wink: , she has some amazing damage for a cheap unit add on that the naga tech tree its cool that the naga got a new building the reptile hatching pretty nice looking building and whats better is their main hall getting proper 3 tiers the last one looks the best anyway i kinda messed up the side quest i killed the robot before the quest began but it wasnt too bad the undead base while costed me a lot of KIA especially those new looking spiders fell to the ranger+myrms+turtles supremacy you know i like the dialogue between vashj and kael and how he says his men didnt trust the naga but then started respecting them this kind of good dialogue will continue through the campaign such as kael and the banshee queen talking about their kingdom towers that were destroyed by the undead , too bad we didnt get to play as the lich king for too long , but honestly the 4th mission is by far the best that new unit the skeletal eredar is GOATED i made an entire control group and fingered everything with them :xxd: .

mission 5 is pretty ok i got all the gold but didnt get all the extra lumber and just spammed dragon turtles and that new singer unit pretty nice idea and the tidal guardian dragons get out of the construction after getting destroyed thats neat! reminds me of the red alert 3 sentry gun giving you a free conscript when selling it , anyway back to the lich king and his new unit the ice guard pretty cool looking unit but isnt their blades supposed to burn in a blue looking fire instead of the fel-green one? the portal mission is pretty fun for the most part how we turn a cheerful and lovely village into a lifeless collection of rubble and dust entire families were slaughtered on this dark day for humanity the kids were too innocent to deserve such a painful stabbing by our ice guards or the player claws or his ice shards a nice choice of music too pretty dope mission however kelthzuad part was pretty tough the towers were annoying taking all the guards mana away very fast , the new mage we play as for 1 mission felt wasted tbh he got like a mission and a half interlude worth of screen-time and proceeded to die the bossfight with the tauren guy was pretty challenging i like how creepy the orcs look at first when they arent moving .

arriving on mission 8 i gotta say i didnt have the best time at first i tried to mass spell breakers cuz the new unit costs 4 food too much but i got rekt fast then vashj and the boys arrived and i massed myrms+rangers and the light-bearer girl there is a problem with her since when she dies she makes no sound meaning u dont know she is dead until you switch to the control group she is in got 2 groups of rangers led by 1 light bearer that blood elf magic thirst is the single most annoying mechanic i thought of something like this for the curse of the blood elves campaign but after this nope that will effect gameplay too much luckily we have the light bearer so its not too bad just bad anyway i didnt notice there is 2 shops near my base until too late i also lost jaina base but made a town hall in the lumber mill area and tried to rebuild her base in its original place but it wasnt possible until i got rid of kelthzuad only then its possible after trying so hard and getting so far in the end it didnt even matter cuz i beaten the crap out of varimthras pretty fast the new mage for jaina faction is a life savior while i lost her base i got 4 of these healing wave mages with my army and they did all the healing priests are out of question.

in mission 9 i only saved 6 units the atmosphere is well done but the base section was very hard i saved no one there LOL , and then we reach the last mission dear god it was a rough one the lich king fight was so frustrating i had to load and reload very very often i believe that i tried more than 30 times till i got it right retreating back made him spawn more skeletons which make the fight harder

now there some extra stuff and notes i would like to say:

1- the new models: from old looking kael to vashj lighting speed mouth movement to sylvanus weird walking animation and last but not least emo jaina oh my god where should i begin? kael looks nothing like his icon in the icon he looks pretty young and cool and then his portrait and model is....not young and cool instead he looks pretty aged and very old by no means young he barely moves when he talks then lady vashj mouth in the portrait moves extremely fast like legit how can other understand what she is saying if she moves her mouth at that speed pretty insane , and sylvanus walks in a pretty weird way she looks very lifeless in her portrait too , and jaina oh man look how they massacred my boy well girl in this case her hair covers half of her face not most pretty character to look at unlike the original one , the admiral looks nice , varimthras is ok and kelthzuad is fine not the best but they are way way better than the good team models , im actually thinking of using the ranger model to replace the high elf archer for the blood elves in my game unit models are really good from the ice guard to the dwarf champion and the singer to danzil they look pretty fine even if some look out of place like the footman model , malfurion model is hideous to look at especially the portrait .

2-the new doodads and terrain: this is pretty positive from the bandit camp to iron forge and the ruins in theramore island it looks pretty nice especially that ruined tower on theraamore seen at the start of mission 6

-danzil kit was pretty fun to play with his story is very short that it doesnt feel like it gives any impact
-the red dragon portrait is weird when she talks she just freezes in the sky asserting dominance i guess

this guy is supposed to be dead but has a health bar
1701019119222.png

a little grammar mistake here

1701019180867.png

in mission 4 varimathras howl of terror says the pit lord instead of the dreadlord

1701019553628.png

Last edited:
Level 11
Thanks for the feedback !

-The admiral dying and Arthas kinda freeing himself was the old version of the campaign.
-HD models + portraits are hard to find, but I will probably change portraits for kael & jaina for next update if I can find better
wow thats pretty fast XD when is the next update? you know i forgot to say this but i would pick this version of the story over a hundred shadowlands cuz here sylvanus actually has a redemption arc not the mess of WOW i say you my friend did better job at managing blizzard story than blizzard itself :xxd:

Level 2
I remember playing old version with post-credit scene where peasant picked helmet of lich king and i expected the same...seeing Sylvanas, my fa character seeing afterlife among trees and other high elves...I'm suprised but I cried basically. What a fun, amazing campaign and I feel like you did justice to Sylvanas, Kaelthas, nagas, Lady Vashj...thank you from bottom of my heart for this :)

Level 29
unfortunately I couldn't finish it as the last chapter didn't work. Version 1.26a.
Check the previous comments. Some said you have to use higher versions of Warcraft III. Get any from 1.27b to 1.31.1, but I highly suggest the former, as it's the recommended one. The latter has a tons of bugs.