• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Hero Ability Icon Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hey :D
I am not 100% if I am going to enter the competition or not, seeing how great things you guys do :S
Anyway, this is what I got so far;

It's the Hex spell from the Shadow Hunter, my second Icon ever done ^^
Attached the original one and the one with bordes, BTN and DISBTN.

Attachments

• BTNHex2.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DISBTNHex2.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Hex1.jpg
    Hex1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 52
Level 18
Agreed. You should fill up the black background. And try making the DH look like he's actually dodging the arrow instead of the arrow simply miss him because of the archer.

I don't know how I could best explain this, but you could try some stripes from the place he was (where the arrow is now) to where he stands now. It should give the idea that he's actually in motion.
You could also make 2 or 3 images of him between where he was (again where the arrow is now) and where he is now. These images should be transparent to indicate the latest position of the DH is the one on the left with full opacity as it is now.
A last possibility would be to draw motion into clothes, like a waving scarf or cloth he's wearing.

Level 6
Everyone's icons is sooo good. Damn mines suck. What could this be?
I agree with The_Silent, that could make a good charm.

Hey :D
I am not 100% if I am going to enter the competition or not, seeing how great things you guys do :S
Anyway, this is what I got so far;

It's the Hex spell from the Shadow Hunter, my second Icon ever done ^^
Attached the original one and the one with bordes, BTN and DISBTN.

I like the colours, and the cartoony style is kinda reminiscent of blizzard's. I would say the it is kind of hard to make out what is going on though, and the hand could use a little work.

Okay, i decided to try to learn icon-making, and i'm seeing this contest as good training.

It's my second icon, so please tell me what to fix.

For those of you that cannot guess what it is, it's Shadow Strike :xxd:

I'm really sorry, but I'm having a hard time working out what it's supposed to be. =/ Oh, is it supposed to be an evil shadow guy? Don't mind me, I'm just slow. >_< If that is what it's supposed to be and I'm not making a huge idiot out of myself, I think maybe the glow needs to be a bit more consistent, and the features of the face especially the mouth made more pointy.

4th version. 3rd wip.

changed hair, added arrow, added contrast.

:D Lots of improvements from earlier versions. Maybe now you've taken the sword out of the icon, you should move the guy so he's more central, it's looking a little unbalanced now. Also, you need to remember that the arrow would cast a shadow onto his skin. Maybe you could think about adding a glow? Lots of blizzard icons are glow-y. xD Or kind of a trail-y glow, which shows he's moving.

Level 30
:D Lots of improvements from earlier versions. Maybe now you've taken the sword out of the icon, you should move the guy so he's more central, it's looking a little unbalanced now. Also, you need to remember that the arrow would cast a shadow onto his skin. Maybe you could think about adding a glow? Lots of blizzard icons are glow-y. xD Or kind of a trail-y glow, which shows he's moving.
There's a shadow ... perhaps not a very clear one ... I'll make it stronger.

opps my bad it didnt come up

What you're doing wrong is making a very crowded background ...
I usually only paint glow's/ movement lines in there.

Level 26
Yeah its the Warden spell =D

Anyway, here's a little update. Think i'll be joinig the contest afterall, remaking the Shadow Hunter spell icons.

you should make the smoke smaller and the frog bigger because right now it looks like a green blob inside of grey smoke

opps my bad it didnt come up

I see 1 problem with your spell: you have too much background.
It would be muchh better without that red ground and just having the infernal and the 2 other still falling ones in the background

Level 26
added contrast on the hair, made a movement effect.
I think the arrow´s movement effect should have another color, because it would look even better then :)
how...? dont gove pointless critisism if you arent going to tell me how it looks awful
looks more like a lazer beam right now

------------------------------------------------------------

oh and here is another wip from me. I have finished the lower lip and made the teeth, which result does not really satisfy me :/

Attachments

• Pitlord.jpg
    Pitlord.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 65
Level 13
Hows this?

Nice :thumbs_up:
But could you insert a bigger picture, maybe then I or someone else can give you some tips.

I've made my first icon: Chain Lightning:grin:
Could someone give me tips ?:cute:

Attachments

• BTNChainLightning.jpg
    BTNChainLightning.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 146
  • ChainLightning.jpg
    ChainLightning.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 103
Level 30
can anyone tell me about a good tutorial to learn how to draw icons like this beautiful ones. I've tried to draw but it only looks pretty ugly. I use Gimp. Would be great if anyone could link a tutorial cause i rly wanna learn it
google some gimp tutorials.
recoloured the arrow with the hue and saturation tool.
changed the arrow movement blur from black to darkbrown

Attachments

• EVADEWIP6.jpg
    EVADEWIP6.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 41
Level 15
Been doing my best to make the frog stick out more, but all I got so far is a pair of hands comming out of the clouds.

Anyway, I started on the second ability, which is Healing Wave (Chain Heal). It has more shading and effects than you can see, will improve later. :thumbs_up:

PS. Damn, the layers are complicated, but wow how useful they are =D

Attachments

• BTNHealingWave.jpg
    BTNHealingWave.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 136
  • BTNHex1.jpg
    BTNHex1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 139
Been doing my best to make the frog stick out more, but all I got so far is a pair of hands comming out of the clouds.

Anyway, I started on the second ability, which is Healing Wave (Chain Heal). It has more shading and effects than you can see, will improve later. :thumbs_up:

PS. Damn, the layers are complicated, but wow how useful they are =D

K if you dont want to use the photoshop layers, use the button manager... so much more easyer. and they look a bit too simple. the glow on the healing wave is a bit too sudden around the units. try to fix that up. the hex isnt too bad but im not really sure what im looking at untill you give me the name.

Level 15
@Dentothor; I just meant that layers are complicated to use, but it helps very much on the icon =D And I am using Button Manager already :p I will do my best to make the glow better.

@Avator; I knowit does looks plain yellow, I did my best to mix in red and white + shading. Hmm yeah I trust you on that point also, will create actual units, and not just silouettes. =D

Level 30
I'm back, starting with my criticsm.

@Revolve
I like the concept of the Chain Healing, but you could try to give the beam of light not a straight, lined appearance but the original, flexuous, appearance.
Additionally, you can add some particles of light which are released upon "impact" with a target.

About the other icon, the fingers should be longer, the "fog" could need some transparency to accent the "frog". It's still hard to define.

Level 18
@Dentothor: No mean to disrespect you, I just thought of a stickfigure, because the inferno there was also left out in a corner without detail. So I google'd a picture of a stickman and luckily, I found one that looked really a lot like your inferno ^^
So there's seriously no offense it that, just a statement with images.

That icon with the inferno in the center is a lot better.

I know I don't have any good icons, because I haven't made any icons at all! I might try to make some myself with this theme. If they're good enough, I might join this contest. However, the chance that mine will beat Mr. Goblin's Death Coil will be close to zero :gg:

PS: I can imagine the Inferno to be hard to edit, like you said. So maybe it's a good idea to make a detailed larger drawing of an inferno and paste that in your icon. It might be a lot easier then to draw on a miniature image.

Status
Not open for further replies.