• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.27a - Patch Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

R

Roland

This discourages me to update all the computers (The Warcraft III) Because it might have another series of crash.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But is this due to prepare for the possibly upcoming features that would come in later patches?
No it is due to Microsoft no longer supporting D3D8 linking at all. After all D3D9 was designed to add features to D3D8. D3D9 support is practically non-existant anymore, only kept due to legacy applications which use D3D<11 or D3D<12 since it is not a simple migration process.

This discourages me to update all the computers (The Warcraft III) Because it might have another series of crash.
Upgrading was smooth as silk for me. No crashes, no hassle. Only hassle I had was trying to upgrade before the patch was actually released.

Level 8
You know what annoys me more then how little this patch does? The fact that people know some of the upcoming changes and are not allowed to tell people. That is more frustrating then anything else.

Like if you know something and are not able to tell people don't mention it. It is literally a kick in the nuts to everyone who doesn't know the changes your basically rubbing it in our face that you know it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
You know what annoys me more then how little this patch does? The fact that people know some of the upcoming changes and are not allowed to tell people. That is more frustrating then anything else.

Like if you know something and are not able to tell people don't mention it. It is literally a kick in the nuts to everyone who doesn't know the changes your basically rubbing it in our face that you know it.
Only if they were *actually* rubbing it in our faces (i.e. "I know something you don't, neener-neener-neener"). They are instead using that knowledge to assure us that "this is not all", "have patience", "cool things coming soon".

Great Power = Great Responsibility and all that.

Level 19

like if there are 50000 competitors around, waiting for the killer features to steal them into their product. Oh wait, there none. Not to speak it's not top-tier modern game. I can't see any reasons to hide upcoming changes unless there are no clear ideas what to do.

and for those who are trying to justify lack of changes. Those, who said "it's required fist step forward". You can not just step, but make something actually useful along with destroying every 3rd party tool. So far chngelog looks like they only found a single programmer for the whole project.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Only that you can't use the editor on Mac whatsoever.
However considering the Mac editor was extremely buggy anyway and modern Mac computers could not really use it anyway that is hardly a problem. Let us not forget that there never was any JNGP for it. It is possible that a modern Mac version of the editor will be released at a later time however that still not fix a lack of JNGP support.

Level 15
However considering the Mac editor was extremely buggy anyway and modern Mac computers could not really use it anyway that is hardly a problem. Let us not forget that there never was any JNGP for it. It is possible that a modern Mac version of the editor will be released at a later time however that still not fix a lack of JNGP support.

So, as Ralle's estusiasm say I suspect that they'll include some feature like POO or structs into WE, or a JNGP related add-in. :)goblin_boom: dreams.. dreams...)

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I have a better solution: uninstall Mac and install Windows. Who (and why) the hell still use/s it?

You can run Boot Camp to install Windows if you want to waste $100 for the installation. OS X is great for non-gaming purposes and Mac-compatible games. If your intention of buying a computer is to game, you'd build a PC anyway.

You can run Boot Camp to install Windows if you want to waste $100 for the installation. OS X is great for non-gaming purposes and Mac-compatible games. If your intention of buying a computer is to game, you'd build a PC anyway.

Warcraft 3 has bad support with Mac, as you read in the patch notes. If you intend to play Warcraft 3 you should install a proper OS.

Level 9
Warcraft 3 has bad support with Mac, as you read in the patch notes. If you intend to play Warcraft 3 you should install a proper OS.

Acording to PurgeandFire running the Windows version of Warcraft in a Mac [thread=257050]through Wineskin[/thread] is the solution for almost all mac-specific issues, so if Blizzard wants to support macs, the best approach would be to simply embed the Wine client in the Warcraft installer (after all, Wine is released under LGPL, which means that it's code CAN be distributed together with non-opensource products)

Reactions: Kam
Level 9
I can only assume they fixed essential issues like that. Some idiot I shared my CD key with long ago got it banned, so I can't play on bnet to test it.

Well, if it gives you a CD key error when you click in the Battle.net option then it's most likely to have been fixed, or it would probably give you a connection error instead.

And also, the OpenTransport problem affects LAN gaming too, so you might be able to test it there.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Warcraft 3 has bad support with Mac, as you read in the patch notes. If you intend to play Warcraft 3 you should install a proper OS
For now, it most certainly will improve over time.

Acording to PurgeandFire running the Windows version of Warcraft in a Mac through Wineskin is the solution for almost all mac-specific issues, so if Blizzard wants to support macs, the best approach would be to simply embed the Wine client in the Warcraft installer (after all, Wine is released under LGPL, which means that it's code CAN be distributed together with non-opensource products)
Or they could just change a few hundred lines of code for perfect support, aka what most games do. Simutrans is compatible with Linux, Windows and Mac and it does not need emulation. After you abstract the OS API calls away it is very easy to build cross platform. Look at StarCraft II which has flawless Mac support as far as I know.

Well, if it gives you a CD key error when you click in the Battle.net option then it's most likely to have been fixed, or it would probably give you a connection error instead.
Or, as he said, some idiot he foolishly gave his CD Key to got it banned by cheating. Why would he lie to us?

I am sure Mac issues will be fixed in coming patches. They have probably just started work on patching the game and by the sounds of it they plan to patch more often than ever previously.

Level 9
Or they could just change a few hundred lines of code for perfect support, aka what most games do.

They had 14 years to change those few hundred lines and didn't do it. How can I be optimistic about that?

I simply feel that I can't demand such a "difficult task" from them, so instead I'm pointing an easier solution. They will have much less trouble mantaining the game in a single architecture, and running it on the others through a very well tested emulation layer.

Or, as he said, some idiot he foolishly gave his CD Key to got it banned by cheating. Why would he lie to us?

Lol I didn't say he was lying, you clearly didn't understand me. I said that if he has a banned CD key, he just needs to click on the battle.net menu, and if he gets an error message about CD key, then the connection problem has been fixed. If he gets a connection error instead, it has not.

They fixed all the old networking and audio problems on OS X, fortunately. They had to rework a lot of code, but it looks like it paid off. I'm guessing they didn't want to opt for WINE since it is a bit of a band-aid solution and wasn't without its own faults--if something ended up going wrong in the emulation it would be out of their hands.

I'm definitely happy with it. The main issue is that the OS requirement is a bit more strict--but the later OS's are all free updates so it should be okay.

They fixed all the old networking and audio problems on OS X, fortunately. They had to rework a lot of code, but it looks like it paid off. I'm guessing they didn't want to opt for WINE since it is a bit of a band-aid solution and wasn't without its own faults--if something ended up going wrong in the emulation it would be out of their hands.

I'm definitely happy with it. The main issue is that the OS requirement is a bit more strict--but the later OS's are all free updates so it should be okay.

To piggyback they are not interested in band-aid solutions so some fixes will likely take longer.

Level 2
Has anyone else had difficulties installing this patch? It keeps saying that there is an error and would recommend reinstalling the game...I don't believe everyone does this, but is that the only option?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
For me, patch 1.27a first did not install, because I had previously trimmed my war3.mpq and war3x.mpq in order to save HDD space. Restoring a backup of those 2 files solved the issue.

I personnaly believe the main problems people are facing are :
- they altered their game installation (moved folders around, changed paths, modified game files)
- they did not install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 runtime
- they have incompatible .mixtape files in their WC3 directory

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1.26a does not run on Win10?
It does run but with major compatibility problems. Specifically when running in D3D mode (default) the gamma setting is broken and in game performance is heavily reduced with inconsistent frame rates. OpenGL mode fixed this but requires a command line option to run and has slightly deformed in-game text.

it does and i never ran into 1 problem as well.
You clearly were not running in D3D mode then. OpenGL mode worked perfectly except for issues with in game text being slightly deformed (texture coordinate issue?).

The lack of gamma alone was a big issue because you need gamma at ~2.2 (setting 44) for the graphics to appear correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.