• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I don't think there's going to be a Warcraft IV, cause they've already got a strategy game, and with more success than warcraft. Thinking about the players, it'd be great to have a Warcraft 4, but when it comes to merchandizing and all that shit, it wouldn't be a good idea to have 2 strategy games cause if you have a wider variety of game-types, there's a larger amount of possible fans/players, which makes more money... So yeah, it's sad, but I don't believe any of us is going to see that happen during our lifetime. warcraft has been delivered to the players, Blizzard has nearly abbandoned the game :'(

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The odds always seem against us, but what to make out of those yearly leaks, like someone from Blizzard saying the WC4 campaign system would work like SC2's (1 for vanilla and 1 per expansion)? I think it was even Dustin Browder who said that?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Can you please link your source for the campaign system leak? I want to dig around for myself.

I don't think there's going to be a Warcraft IV, cause they've already got a strategy game, and with more success than warcraft. Thinking about the players, it'd be great to have a Warcraft 4, but when it comes to merchandizing and all that shit, it wouldn't be a good idea to have 2 strategy games cause if you have a wider variety of game-types, there's a larger amount of possible fans/players, which makes more money... So yeah, it's sad, but I don't believe any of us is going to see that happen during our lifetime. warcraft has been delivered to the players, Blizzard has nearly abbandoned the game :'(

While we don't have much news on Warcraft IV, Blizzard did respond well to a question about whether they would port older Warcraft games to modern platforms. I suppose this mostly applies to Warcraft I and Warcraft II, but they were all mentioned in the question--and Blizz said they had a "team" for that.

Allen Brack said:
"So, we actually have a guy on our team — actually several guys on our team — who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion," Brack said. "We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure."

Fortunately, some part of Blizzard still has sentiment to the Warcraft RTS so at least it is something. :) And if they gets enough reception, then who knows? Perhaps Wc4 will be viable.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
For who demands Wc4:

Actually, guys, what do you want to see in Wc4?
IMO, if you want a nice graphic and improved World Editor, then I can say Sc2 is your answer and is what you want. Even if Blizzard will actually release Wc4, then I guess it's not going to be far different from Sc2, just with different (campaign) story. But believe me, the WE would not been easier than Sc2's.

Better you just hope that Blizzard will come back to work around Wc3 a bit:
- Remove those silly leaks
- Remove those BJ functions and replace them with the natives
- Remove mp map filesize limit
- Improve tileset limit
- Add multi-import feature for import manager
- And some other useful features like what Sharpcraft has
- Many more

Actually, Wc3 is just perfect except for several points above (imo).

Level 25
Why do you hate pandarens? They're not bad. They're based on pandas which lives in China, Pandaria and Wandering Isle are based from China. About PandaRENS are fat, look at real bears, real pandas, they're fat. Why won't you complain on Worgen? Walking dogs? Tauren? Dancing Bulls? I really wonder why you hate them.

Level 10
Hmm, I actually do hate WoW Cataclysm, MoP, WoD. The other first were otherwise good.

I tend to agree with A Void on this the last three titles were so much of a dissapointment i played the original WOW, Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King but Cataclysm,Mists of Panadaria and Warlords of Draenor are nothing compared to the first titles.

Seriously i stopped playing WOW altogether after Cataclysm because they are using up all the bad guys of Warcraft now and are even reviveing old dead ones too.

I still play WoW Original. I think that is where WoW as a title should have ended including BC, WoTLK. From WOTLK it started to fall into milk(money)-sucking expansions that generally did anything to keep the player-base playing under any circumstances. Originally World of Warcraft was planned to resemble "Warcraft 3 Alpha RPS", they scrapped it and divided two teams to work on World of Warcraft using Warcraft 3 Alpha Engine. And the other team formed to create Warcraft 3 as it is today - RTS. WoW was created using War 3 Alpha Engine, the prototype of WoW is War3. They felt that the approach to make Warcraft 3 into RPS was too sudden so they specially formed a team to develop another title that would be called World of Warcraft, it was a safer approach. I think there was an interview about this somewhere in the archives...

Level 9
I feel it is extremely hard to continue Warcraft III for a number of reasons, the biggest and main reason being, World of Warcraft. They took the canon story and shipped it to who knows where, the only way to continue the story would be to STOP World of Warcraft expansions... now that isn't going to work, given that blizzard has stated they hope to ride World of Warcraft out until the last player decides he is done.

Another Option would be take the story another direction, however, this wouldn't work well at all, for all Warcraft III only fans sure, but for people who played Warcraft III and WoW they are going to be disappointed in the time split (Warlords of Dreanor's Alternate timeline may remedy this depending on where it goes.) It would be confusing and quite frankly I think I personally would be unamused.

Another Option, would be to have the canon story, as presented in World of Warcraft, retold in Warcraft III single campaign mechanics. However, this would present itself poorly to WoW players as they already know what is going to happen, and poorly to Warcraft III players, as it is not written as well as it's predecessor.

People have already talked about better graphics and editor being included, but as stated earlier go to Starcraft II because I doubt it is getting any better... And as for campaign and story options they seem quite bland and put Warcraft Strategy Games in a stasis as they are going to be a poor result no matter how they try to play it... Sad to say I don't see it happening, if it does, and they do something amazing, I will give my wallet to blizzard.

Level 21
Well another way would be to set Warcraft 4 few centuries/10.000 later of main timeline and sort of start from scratch. Warcraft story is too much abused after 10 years of WoW. But if I have to chose I would definitely go with option #2 to ignore wow, not like many wow players care about story (to be honest I completely understand this view) and some even don't know there were warcraft games since 90s.

As for going to Sc2 because of better graphics and editor well for me that was never an option as Warcraft is medieval fantasy and starcraft 2 is sci-fi so it would take lot more effort to make a fantasy map. I never stopped liking sc1 just because wc3 existed.

Level 24
I would like to see WarCraft IV cover what happened to characters like Sylvanas, Cairne, Lor'Themar and all other important characters while we are playing wow and killing bosses. I would like to think that Sylvanas has done more since WarCraft III than sipping tea and having strategy meetings with dreadlord Fluffypants.

Level 28
I would like to see WarCraft IV cover what happened to characters like Sylvanas, Cairne, Lor'Themar and all other important characters while we are playing wow and killing bosses. I would like to think that Sylvanas has done more since WarCraft III than sipping tea and having strategy meetings with dreadlord Fluffypants.

This. Blizzard needs to give Cairne some more love and maybe also Rexxar.

Level 24
Cairne got killed by Garrosh,
Sylvanas grabbed the last Valkyre and went wannabe Liche Queen,
Lor'Themar idled around for 3 expansions then suddenly decided elf life is so boring for him, then off to participate in Pandarian expedition.

You just mentioned all that happened with Sylvanas between 2004-2010 maybe it's just me but I want her to have done more than just that for 6 years and WarCraft is a perfect chance.

Level 21
Warning, the following comment is biased against WoW. You have been warned.

Tauren in general need more love. Heck all races need more love except orcs, humans and forsaken. Orcs had enough spotlight even before wow and they managed to make almost every expansion about them: Burning Crusade - orcs homeworld and discovery that they were shit brown orcs originally, Cataclysm hijacked by Thrall and Garosh, Mists of Pandaria literally hijacked by Garosh (What? You thought it was about pandas?) and now yet another Orc/Garosh expansion. Humans are just dull and the only humans that seem to mater since WoW are Stormwind and screw the rest, and honestly who made king anime hair leader of alliance. Really no wonder why Horde seems to get bigger spotlight than Alliance. Forsaken got plenty of love, they have slaughtered everything alive (the non alive resistance still resists) that was unfortunate to be located in north eastern Kingdoms, the new plague storyline, the assimilation of the scourge in their ranks and of course Undercity event. As for pre 2010 they were most likely just killing scourge and living in Lordearon region nothing that interesting and helping Silvermoon to rebuild itself.

Level 24
I agree that the orcs and especially Thrall has gotten enough love, I'm not sure if I'd say that Sylvanas has gotten to much love, she deserved a lot more in WotLK that's for sure. And Koltira is another forsaken member who hasn't gotten half the love he deserves.

Level 28
I don't play wow and is not planning to but my friends update me about the story from time to time but if there will ever be a Warcraft 4 I think aside from the characters discussed earlier I think Chen needs to get some screen time. May not be the most flashy and exciting character around but he deserves more than being just a side character. Maybe a story that Chen and Rexxar traveling together.

Seeing my two favorite Orc character aside from Cairne will be awesome. Oh and retain Rexxar's voice actor because he did a wonderful job with Rexxar's voice.

I don't want to go to any WOW forums to just check what happened to Chen so if someone knows anything can you please tell me?

Level 24
Seeing my two favorite Orc character aside from Cairne will be awesome. Oh and retain Rexxar's voice actor because he did a wonderful job with Rexxar's voice.

The ironic part is that neither Rexxar, Cairne or Chen Stormstout is an orc.

Other than that there may be a WarCraft IV sometime after Legacy of the Void has been released.

Level 24
It's actually only in real life that humans are related to monkeys in WarCraft they are the descendants of the vrykul who in turn are Iron Vrykul who were affected by the curse of flesh.

Level 21
Ah well to nitpick humans aren't related directly to monkeys, they have common ancestor. But in WoW we all know everything evolved from rocks and robots because screw logic this is WoW. Undead are still humans and elves no mater how much people want to forget, heck many of the forsaken in life were probably even killed by orcs in second war but hey better orcs that killed you and burned everything you loved that the humans who were unlucky to have one bastard who isn't even related to the human remnant. (seriously only one human kingdom remaining (and Dalaran but they need just one death to get the coupon for the restoration discount) and everything else got slaughtered and nobody cares)... ok I'll shut up now.

Ah well to nitpick humans aren't related directly to monkeys, they have common ancestor. But in WoW we all know everything evolved from rocks and robots because screw logic this is WoW. Undead are still humans and elves no mater how much people want to forget, heck many of the forsaken in life were probably even killed by orcs in second war but hey better orcs that killed you and burned everything you loved that the humans who were unlucky to have one bastard who isn't even related to the human remnant. (seriously only one human kingdom remaining (and Dalaran but they need just one death to get the coupon for the restoration discount) and everything else got slaughtered and nobody cares)... ok I'll shut up now.

Well, I hope all the Human Kingdoms are rebuilt.

Lordaeron - Argent Dawn and Calia Menethil.
Stromgarde - League of Arathor and Dannath
Gilneas - I thought we'd already won?
Kul Tiras - Bah, they're fine (I hope)
Stormwind - Going strong
Dalaran - Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's a massive freakin' city full of powerful Alliance-sided mages
Alterac - Stuff 'em
Theramore - Wasn't really much now it's a crater and even less, and I care even less.

And that's it I think.

Last edited:
Level 24
Well any universe that includes entities with magical powers ignores reality as we know it, and I don't think the curse of flesh is so bad compared to other fantasy universes. Yogg-Sarron inflicted the curse of flesh upon the titans creations in an attempt to break out of his prison. And to be fair the humans have created more than a little chaos and stopped the Burning Legion from taking over the Old Gods home world. Even though the Old Gods hate the mortals on Azeroth I think they hate Sargeras even more.

Now that wouldve been something interesting.

It could be interesting to get a campaign following him in WarCraft IV but his own RPG might be a little too far.

Level 21
Kul'Tiras - Forgotten, suggested naga destroyed them.
Stromgarde - Last leader has been killed and is now Forsaken. Soon to be yet another Forsaken conquest.
Lordearon - Will never be restored, specially not by Argent Christians who are now "international" and don't mind undead. I am still questioning the logic of how do Argent and Scarlet Crusaders even gather people and send them to North Pole when Lordearon is in ashes and neighboring regions are now dead too.
Alterac - Shame I know the feeling when you live in small nation and I do feel sorry for them. Why are they still criminal syndicate I can't understand.
Gilneas - Population deserted and no longer human. Not exactly fan of the whole worgen thing but it isn't a bad thing. Still stuck in Kalimdor for same reason why Blood Elves are in the horde, to balance out powers.
Theramore - What should have been the bastion of humanity left after events wc3 became pointless. Was made if you recall from expeditions from several kingdoms actually. Instead it was nuked because it was pointless I guess.
Stormwind - Yeah they still live and even though they were rebuilt rather recently are in charge of Nght Elves and Ironforge who should be way older and more powerful. Ironforge deserved way more to be seat of Alliance as they were part of it from day one to this day.

So as you can see humanity as whole suffered what in real life would be genocide but that is not important. And yeah I know I said I would shut up but couldn't...

Curse of the flesh was a gift really, it gave life to the titan artificial slaves. Still stupid even if you use "it's magic" excuse.

Level 29
Why are they still criminal syndicate I can't understand
Cause rest of the alliance went genocidal and towned on them back in the day. It would be safe to presume that they still remain marked as 'kill on sight', despite winds of time flown and danger no longer, for just once upon a time their glorious(!) leader happent to have the idea to side with orcs.
Ironic how same hostility is never shown towards many a things that wouldve been well deserving.
Will never be restored, specially not by Argent Christians who are now "international" and don't mind undead. I am still questioning the logic of how do Argent and Scarlet Crusaders even gather people and send them to North Pole when Lordearon is in ashes and neighboring regions are now dead too.
Very simple. They can exist, aslong there is perception of a threat. Hence theyd rather launch crusades to an distant land rather fixing problems that made them at the first place. Paralels with rl church there.

Kul'Tiras - Forgotten, suggested naga destroyed them.

Never heard of that, source please?

As for Stromgarde, Dannath is still alive and I don't think the Forsaken will take it.

Lordaeron - Argent Christians lol. They're keeping an eye on Sylvannas apparently and along with the Cenarion Circle are healing the Eastern Plaguelands. They've taken Stratholme back and already have Hearthglen heavily secured. They've also retaken Tyr's Hand together with the Silver Hand.

Alterac - Could rot for all I care for their betrayal, would've been nice though if Lordaeron had just given the land to Gilneas or Stromgarde like originally intended rather than leave it to ruin.

Gilneas - The Alliance still control it but most of the populace have fled but there's nothing stopping them from just going back.

Theramore - I was talking mainly about WoW but yes in Warcraft 3 Jaina's forces were massive.

Stormwind - Was a no-brainer to be the seat of the Alliance. The Dwarves have never really been interested in absolute control, just not them. The Night Elves are pathetic in WoW don't get may started on them. The weather has destroyed the Night Elves more than the actual Horde.

Level 24
Curse of the flesh was a gift really, it gave life to the titan artificial slaves. Still stupid even if you use "it's magic" excuse.

Yes it gave life to them but prior to that they had no emotions and only did what they were programmed to do much like a computer so I wouldn't call the titans slavers.

Level 21
Cause rest of the alliance went genocidal and towned on them back in the day. It would be safe to presume that they still remain marked as 'kill on sight', despite winds of time flown and danger no longer, for just once upon a time their glorious(!) leader happent to have the idea to side with orcs.
Ironic how same hostility is never shown towards many a things that wouldve been well deserving.
Well the wild worgens were enemy too yet they were allowed to participate with Alliance in war against Forsaken invasions. Besides it is unreasonable that everyone from Alterac is viewed as enemy of Alliance. Other kingdoms when they existed were perfectly happy with the idea of annexation of Alteraclands since in medieval ages nationality didn't matter.

Very simple. They can exist, aslong there is perception of a threat. Hence theyd rather launch crusades to an distant land rather fixing problems that made them at the first place. Paralels with rl church there.

No, they can't exist because they lack followers and resources in the first place. You can't compare our crusades that were launched from powerful christian states and groups that operate in lands where everything is dead or undead with barely any survivors. There were still Scourge and Forsaken threats in Lordearon. Real reason why Argent and Scarlets exist is because there was a need for neutral faction in plaguelands and later in Northrend, while Scarlets are same just instead of neutral they are extremely hostile on border of paranoia (not at all odd though considering what they survived but we are supposed to see these guys as "evil" because they are stupid).

Yes it gave life to them but prior to that they had no emotions and only did what they were programmed to do much like a computer so I wouldn't call the titans slavers.
You are right they (azerothians) weren't even slaves they were tools. Discarded once titans were done with their playing. They were later to busy making protoss and zerg I suppose. Titans clearly don't care about their tools and easily forget their experiments.

(sorry had to edit)

Level 24
You are right they (azerothians) weren't even slaves they were tools. Discarded once titans were done with their playing. They were later to busy making protoss and zerg I suppose. Titans clearly don't care about their tools and easily forget their experiments.

(sorry had to edit)

The earthen were set to roam freely but the mechanical entities were still working with Mimiron. But no one's going to debate that the Titans have forsaken Azeroth. Even Nozdormu says it to the other Aspects in Dawn of the Aspects.

Level 19
Blizzard built up something in WoW, they're not gonna tear it apart now. I understand that.
I've seen this discussion way too many times now, and although I agree that WoW-lore screwed up the warcraft universe in some ways, like the constant killing of original legendary characters, like Arthas, Illidan, Deathwing, Kael'thas and Vashj etc etc etc...
However, I honestly think that it's utterly stupid to claim that there haven't been anything cool at all among the WoW-lore!
How about we move on and accept that the Warcraft universe has evolved in a certain direction. Let's at least be happy that it haven't died out. Let's be happy that Blizzard continuously got something in store for us Warcraft lore-fans :)

I believe a series of campaigns for a Warcraft IV game would work properly one way, and one way only. It must neither interfere with the WoW-lore nor ignore it like most of you suggest. Warcraft IV should rather support the WoW-lore, and finally bind it properly together with the lore from the campaigns in the original RTS games. I'd suggest a campaign series, based on the shrouded events which happened in the period between the end of WC3:TFT and Vanilla WoW. There's actually a lot of untold stories to dig into. Take a look at my suggestions:

Human Campaign
  • King Varian Wrynn's depression over his wife's death has finally come to an end. That depression made him keep the Kingdom of Stormwind from entering the Third War and therefore not aid the other human kingdoms. With the Fall of Lordaeron, humankind is facing desperate times, and the remaining kingdoms must stand together.
    Therefore, he decides to go on diplomatic journeys to strenghten the bonds in the fractured Alliance. However, all we know, is that Varian was lost at sea on a diplomatic trip towards Theramore. This could really be an interesting story to unfold.
  • The Fall of Gnomeregan - let's have gnomish units and a hero into the Human techtree - let's play through the explanation why the gnomes didn't partake in the Third War. Let's dig into the personal struggles between Gelbin Mekkatorque and Sicco Thermaplugg which resulted in the Fall of Gnomeregan.
  • The Blood Elves rebuilding Silvermoon and Quel'thalas, lead by Lor'themar Theron.
  • The Rise and corruption of the Scarlet Crusade. 'nuff said.

Night Elf Campaign
  • Malfurion Stormrage getting stuck in the Emerald Dream, and Fandral Staghelm taking his place as Arch Druid. Fandral convinced the Circle of the Anciencts that it was foolish to wait for Nordrassil to heal, and that it was finally time to raise a new World Tree on the island known as Kalidar just outside northern Kalimdor's western coast, so that they could regain their power and immortality. However, Norzdormu didn't bless the tree due to the selfishness of their wish - all this might also be a good story, if connected with some other important plot holes, including the increase of hostility with the Horde in Warsong Gulch, and Tyrande Whisperwind deciding to join the Alliance.

Horde Campaign
  • Warchief Thrall sends Drek'thar with some Horde warriors on ships back to Lordaeron to re-claim the former home of the Frostwolf Clan in the Alterac mountains. This squad included mostly orcs from the Frostwolf Clan, but Cairne Bloodhoof, who still owed the tauren's success in Mulgore to the orcish warchief, also wanted to lend his aid in the mission. He came along with Hamuul Runetotem, Tagar, Bovan Windtotem - 'cuz yeah, what happened to the latter two? - They come into struggle with the Stormpike Guard of Dun Baldar led by Vanndar Stormpike.
  • Secondly, Drek'thar is introduced to a battle with the Forsaken undead...

Undead Campaign
  • Sylvanas and her people have struggle settling in their new home, as a new anti-undead faction calling themselves the Scarlet Crusaders constantly knock on their doorstep, and Kel'thuzad's Scourge remained in Lordaeron to plague the lands. She continues her campaign to retake the land, and eventually she meets with Frostwolf Orcs. Although, they started off on the wrong foot, the tauren druid Hamuul Runetotem eventually convinced his chieftain and the rest of the Horde, that the Forsaken were not evil like the original Scourge. Finally, the Forsaken are let into the Horde...

I originally planned to make a Warcraft III campaign series based on this, but never had the time and motivation. But I cling to the hope that I will one day see an official Blizzard campaign sort of like the above.
Opinions? :)

Level 24
I originally planned to make a Warcraft III campaign series based on this, but never had the time and motivation. But I cling to the hope that I will one day see an official Blizzard campaign sort of like the above.
Opinions? :)

Well good luck with that.

Opinion: Why is the rebuilding of Quel'Thalas associated with the humans it would make more sense if Sylvanas was involved. And why is Drek'Thar fighting the forsaken, Sylvanas applied to join the Horde she's not going to attack the orcs then.

Level 19
Well good luck with that.
I know myself well enough to know that I'd never actually get started with such a huge project. I don't take patent on this idea though, so anyone who feel like it are free to host such a project - they would have my support :)

Why is the rebuilding of Quel'Thalas associated with the humans it would make more sense if Sylvanas was involved.
Good point. I was simply thinking of the Blood elves' previous connection to the human techtree, but your idea is better. Then it would only have to be from Sylvanas' point of view :)

And why is Drek'Thar fighting the forsaken, Sylvanas applied to join the Horde she's not going to attack the orcs then.
Because Drek'thar hates the Forsaken, and something inside of my wants a reason for that, instead of just calling him an old racistic bastard.
Thrall's Horde fought undead armies several places. They're not really fans of necromancers, so I assume that they would naturally define undeads as enemies. Until proved otherwise of course :)

Level 24
Because Drek'thar hates the Forsaken, and something inside of my wants a reason for that, instead of just calling him an old racistic bastard.
Thrall's Horde fought undead armies several places. They're not really fans of necromancers, so I assume that they would naturally define undeads as enemies. Until proved otherwise of course :)

Alright as long as you don't pain Sylvanas out to be the villain here, don't get me wrong I don't think killing innocents isn't something she wouldnt do if she was given a reason. I'm just saying she's too smart to attack them.

Level 19
Alright as long as you don't pain Sylvanas out to be the villain here, don't get me wrong I don't think killing innocents isn't something she wouldnt do if she was given a reason. I'm just saying she's too smart to attack them.
Surely.. well that storyline could be connected with the Arathi Basin-battleground. It stands as a proof that the Forsaken are in desperate need of resources - and that they are even willing to start wars for them!
Alterac Valley is known to hold some powerful dwarven artifacts (I'm not entirely sure, but I think I read that somewhere). Maybe something was among these artifacts that could help Sylvanas in her wars against the Argent Dawn, Scarlet Crusade, Scourge, Blood Elves and what not. If not only for the artifacts, then additionally there are plenty of resources in the Alterac Valley, like the mine and stuff. Whatever.. I'm sure Blizzard could come up with a kewl story for this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.