1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Dumblor, May 8, 2008.

1. matmat01

matmat01

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you see, the point here is, for example, will warcraft III maps have any use in warcraft 4? Like you convert DOTA into a warcraft 4 map file and not start the triggering all over again. But let's not bring dota to the topic.

2. Coolty44

Coolty44

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Whos to say they'll change the way models are treated? They'll probably change/edit JASS alot, and maybe consider adding a more vJASS feeling to it (Its that or Vex does it)
    So really it all comes down to how much Blizzard changes. They'll probably make a program that can convert .MDX/.BLP files to fit whatever WC IV's files will be, if changed at all

3. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wait..you honestly expect Blizzard to allow wc3 content to be transferred into wc4?

urgh.. Look, it wont work, it doesnt work like that. Its going to support a whole new engine with new model and map features that will no longer use wc3 features as they will be obsolete. Wc4 and wc3 will be released like..what? 7-9 years apart?

I mean honestly, do you see other games allowing features like that? No...

wc3 is OLD, there is no point spending an extra year adding features in wc4 so it can use obsolete features in wc3. There is just no point.. its stupid.

Wc3 is just old like any other game, and its new standalone version will have much better features that will put wc3 to the dust. Wc3 community will just fade out, i mean, its life. Do you see blizzard trying to add features in wc3 or sc2 to make them import older game features like a map transfer-er/translator? No. Did wc3 and sc1 whine about it? No. Because that's how things happen.

Sure, people in general but not blizzard may find a way around it, but you seem to act as if Blizzard owes it to you, we owe it to blizzard for allowing us to mod wc3 in the first place.

EDIT: Sorry if i sound grumpy o.0 i dont mean to..

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I thought older models could be imported as long as the game accepted the format. I knew they'd look inferior when compared to others, but I thought it was possible, nevertheless. I guess I'm wrong.
    Anyway, Kimberly got it right. Don't make such a big deal out of it – everything that has a start also has an end and Warcraft III is not an exception.
    It's a pity some things don't get recorded in history, though; this is why I suggested the creation of a WarcraftWiki (or whatever you'd like to call it), essentially a place for things to get written down. Someday, a teenager playing Warcraft IV (if it happens) might wonder: «How was it like in Warcraft III? The game, the communities, the maps?». The Wiki would certainly be a good place to find answers!

5. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wowwiki does have some pages on warcraft 3...

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But zero regarding the communities. For example, what if The Hive Workshop closes? Who will know, besides the people who continued to play, the great things that were done here? That takes me to the question: how many teenagers keep playing games after they hit adulthood? Most of them end up quitting because of university. How many combine a life of work with games?

7. ike_ike

ike_ike

Resources:
    Resources:
    Makes you wonder. What has the Hive actually accomplished? This entire site's pretty much eclipsed by DotA. No one will actually care about 20 million little projects that failed before they started.

8. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    I do care.

(Doesn't make much of a difference, but it still proves you wrong :p)

9. Lakimen

Lakimen

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that when Blizz release Warcraft IV, they maybe don't make it compatible with Warcraft III maps, but later they will make it compatible with some patch or whatever.

Another of my opinions is that they will make Warcraft IV, and it will be compatible with Warcraft II maps without any patching.

10. matmat01

matmat01

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, in the pas it is not yet done because of poor technology. But what about now? Almost every noob can edit things using a modder's tool. Then what could Blizzard possibly do? They can't just abandon warcraft iii communities. I mean, In WoW, they also use Icons from moddings sites. And WoW is old. Maybe in the future, we will have CGI Like MMO. It's just, nothing is impossible now. It's just only a matter of time.

11. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I wish they will make a good warcraft 4 that can use old models Oo

12. best_player_88

best_player_88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 4

Any one knows when will war4 be sold at the stores?
    And will this site support the next generation of war3 ?

13. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    we should talk about this a little later

it is way too early to know about this

14. best_player_88

best_player_88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In metters of years?

15. X-OMG-X

X-OMG-X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is the world editor help zone. Not "questions about things that never happens".
    Wc4 will never start its development as the WoW series are the continue of Wc3.

16. Joe-black-5

Joe-black-5

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    my prediction, 2016

17. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I thought that forum "World Editor Help Zone" is for that.

Anyway Blizzard is to busy with all other games to focus on Warcraft 4. But will they return to RTS after WoW?

18. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    they're working on SC2 sorta

19. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There is no official info that such will ever be made and you are asking about sold in stores? How about asking when it will be delivered to your home?

20. best_player_88

best_player_88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I just wondered "When it happens" if hiveworkshop will keep support another game. After I read all of this I got the idea that this was never considered since it has many years to happen.
    I know this isn't the time. As I said I am curious about if a site meant for one game only will become for two games in the end.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009