1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I actually made sure that it doesn't look too overly detailed from a warcraft 3 like view. I make regular silhouette checks and camera view checks. The fungus on his head and the way that it is sort of blocky really helps with the warcraft look when viewed from a warcraft like camera.
    Compared to a regular warcraft head, it probably has quadruple the polygons, but that still isn't very much at all.
    Texturing should be a challenge. I don't have very much experiance with texturing asymmetrical characters, but I'll figure something out.
    Also, thanks!

2. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I want to judge but I have decided to join the contest. Here are the WIPS so far.
    • Bandits should have their own hero and he should be powerful enough to rule the Bandit World
    • to be edited
      [​IMG]

first WIP
      [​IMG]

second WIP
      [​IMG]

Maybe Final
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dreadlords, much like Death Knights, are unique heroes on their own =P it's hard to find a corresponding unit. Same goes for lots of others. Gargoyle isn't really the corresponding unit as they're completely different.

It'd be interesting if you could do the inverse process. As in, convert hero to unit, IMO there are enough heroes.

You could have used "Deadeye" as an example of a hero version corresponding to the skeletal archer.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing more troll females =)

4. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Added hero glow and horns. Donno if I should I add much more.

[​IMG]
    Sideview.

Now all I got left is a portrait.

Attached Files:

5. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Fel Orcs usually wear those golden-colored armors or just go on boobs, that full plate doesn't seem to fit him so much. The greataxe also looks excessively big =P even the one that the Tauren Chieftain carries isn't that large.

6. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Minimage, the wrap on the arms and feet aswell on the axe is really messy, look for other textures or fix the wrap.

And you... somehow failed at the point of creating a hero. Kyrbi0 once made a few comments about that in one of my model threads, I think it was my Orc-Marauder.

Your model looks not bad, bulky, strong. BUT. It misses that one thing, that let it stand out. A "special" thing.

Let me quote Kyrbi0 here. AND there's team colour missing all over.

----

Anyway, here's a very early WIP of the body. body.PNG

Other animations and minor modifciations to be done.

7. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wip #1

Hmm.. What should I do next?

Attached Files:

• WIP1.png
      WIP1.png
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
  8. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, Idonno. I could make it smaller. As for armor, I don't care. I've seen many fullbody armors in WOW, so why not here? As for his skin color. I thought the red skin looked more menacing and evil. This is intended to be an Orc Overlord. A badass that rules the lower standing orcs. Because reasons.

The wrap isn't that bad, it's generally because of the stone giant animations.

I always found this response so very vague. I try to add as much detail I can without it looking messy.

Actually, the armor is teamcolor less, but hands and legs have teamcolor. It's just hard to see the difference of the red teamcolor and red skin.

I'm not sure if this showcases the skinning well or not, but here is a screeny in magos. The view is of it unanimated, so not to distort anything.
    [​IMG]

Then again, I could probably reskin the arms. Donno about the legs tho.

Attached Files:

9. WhiteDeath

WhiteDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Posting WIP of Grand Shaman/Wolf Lord.

Attached Files:

10. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    The wrap looks really neat :)

2.PNG

The texture on the robe is still WIP I guess, as well as the positioning/animation/rigging of the bowl. More accecsoirces to make her more "Skull-Priestess" like, are to come.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Very good! However, be aware that you're up against Garithos in this arena; he's a pretty solid tie-in as "Bandit Hero". I'm interested to see what you have in mind. :p

However, your images don't seem to work for me. :<

For the most part, that's true. In fact, that's why the "Undead Examples" pic is so sparse; there really weren't many examples to draw from. :< As the Death Knights were originally the Orcish Liches/Necrolytes & are still-living with the powers of Undeath, it's not too much of a jump to link them the Necromancers. However, they are more properly "Anti-Paladin's" (quite literally, from Beta-onwards, and still seen in their ability mechanics). That's a whole 'nother contest. :p

The Dreadlord, same deal. Technically they are Demons, and the Gargoyles are... Well, they are "creatures of the North". I don't recall it being exactly clear as to what they are. It's a stretch, sure, but I wanted to make a statement about how it doesn't have to be "Footman + Hero Glow, Longer Sword, Cool Shield = Hero Footman!". I'd love to see some serious creativity when it comes to stretching boundaries and trying out new things.
    Thus the Gargoyle -> Dreadlord deal. If you think about it, the Gargoyles are a little questionable in terms of lore; creatures natural or demonic? Well, it's not *too* much a stretch to say their demonic, and given their nature (giant bats) and the obvious inspiration for the Dreadlord (vampire, which turns into Bats when he dies), well...

Absolutely! That's the next contest ("Demotion: Take an in-game Hero and turn it into a Unit") :p

I... Did? I finished updating the Second Post recently with most of the best examples of this contest that I could find. The "Deadeye" was at the top of my (mental) list. :p

Oh, you and me both, sir. If you've seen the second post, right now there are only 2 major custom "troll female" models. And I think it's high-time the Python Warrioress & Dark Totemic have some companionship. :p

Alright! I'm glad you are joining, man; I'll have you know, you're at least part of the inspiration for this contest in the first place. You kinda inspired me with your Werewolf & Revenant models to realize what a good idea "Ascension" is artistically as well as in design.

For this, I'm interested. Definite tie-in to the Beta "Spirit Walker" Shaman hero, but also sort of extending that "animalistic" side the in-game Shaman has with the Wolf bit... Pretty cool. I look forward to more.

Interesting additions. Obligatory skull-rack... I like the bowl. Remember the comments you quoted me on in terms of "Heroic-ness".

More later; I'll respond to you, MiniMage, when I get back.

~~~

Hey everyone. Please keep in mind "Heroic-ness". It may be difficult to define, but try lining your hero up against the in-game heroes. Does s/he fit? Does s/he look like they could fight and win? Does s/he have a character all their own? Etc.

Keep it up!

12. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just reload the page. IDK what's going on with the images. This also happens to me, but when I reload the page the images show up.

13. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It's sort of a twist on the concept. A crotchety old man with a book isn't exactly original and neither is a grim reaper. The idea with this hero is that he caught the plague really, really, really bad. He will have a sort of staff and some tattered remnants of clothing, but mostly he'll be a disgusting mess.
    That abomination picture is pretty close to what I'm going for, though maybe less clothes and more of a fungal look.

Also, who is responsible for coming up with the puns on the participant statuses? Don't worry I won't do anything bad to you.*

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  14. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Here's my WIP...

Basically, it's a Turtle with Sunken Ruins' Props build onto its shell, and a Murloc Shaman(?) riding/occupying the seat on it...
    Still many things to be done, but the concept is there...

Attached Files:

15. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Really nice concept.
    My personal suggestion is to add sunken ruins armour to the turtle, like a helmet and some leg armor, and for the Murlok maybe add some kind of reef crown or alike. Also when animating, I suggest to add attack animations for both the turtle and the murloc on top. (maybe attack 1 for the murloc "magic from staff", and attack 2 for the turtle "its bites")

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @MiniMage
    The red skin is fine.

Overlord is 'fine' (more below)

However, I think the point he's making is that while it's certainly possible, it doesn't look good. Doesn't look cohesive. It's weird to see just straight, steely-gray armor on a Fel Orc; it's almost like he dipped his torso into a vat of grey paint. :p Instead, Blizzard tended to use blacks & golds in their Fel Orc armor, since it set off the red-skin well & made them look more diabolical.

Now, like my "Heart of Storms: Slayer" art shows, you can pull off steely gray... But that was a Greenskin, and most importantly, it has definition. Rivets, folds, buckles, etc.

I think that's the problem he's pointing out; the armor is one of the best places for Team Color (in general), and is the biggest most noticeable part of your model (in specific). But it has 0% TC.

The Magos helps (all of your in-game screenshots were really skewed). However, it looks like his back is really craggy and pointy; might want to throw something back there to cover that. A rack of skulls? A fiendish banner? A basket of snakes? lol, something.

I think this is the biggest issue, and perhaps the hardest to relate. Believe me/us, if there were a way to explain it better, we would. It's incredibly "subjective", which means it's experienced & can't really be "proven", per-say. But I'll try again. : )

Basically, your model is cool. Bulky, strong, not bad, like he said. However, there's something missing. Something "special". Because right now, he looks like a Unit. A powerful unit, certainly the "Tier 3 Ownage Device" of whatever race he's in (like the Tauren or Frost Wyrm), but... just not a Champion, a Hero. He is missing something to make him "Heroic".

Some of the issue is uniqueness. If you can use the same icon as a Hero that he used as a Unit (Fel Orc Grunt, let's say), then he could use some changes. I made some suggestions about this.
    The pertinent part of the above-linked post

(Case in point: I knew you were likely to put simple spiky viking horns on his helmet the moment I saw him horn-less. So I suggested curvy Ram's horns, to make things interesting (or, like the picture I linked, branching Antlers).)

Another aspect is the "over-the-top-ness". You've got it down when it comes to the axe & armor (big, bulky, Warcraft-y). However, he's really lacking in anything else, any other details.

Heroes tell a story. Imagine the Paladin... His flowing robes which have flown over many a stark battlefield. His book which chronicle his life, detail his spells, and provide him strength. His golden lion-buckle, indicating his ties & loyalty to the throne & crown, as well as the Light. His massive warhammer, pitted & worn from use in smiting evil. His handsome beard, flecked with grey through age and stress.

I could do that for almost any Hero. Your model needs something, needs a story that is told. Who is he? What is he? What does he do, what role does he fulfill? He's not just an underling; he da boss! :p

Now, here are some thoughts. Just throwing things off the top of my head. One thought is that "Overlord", while cool, is a bit over-done. Everywhere you see "Overlord". It's a great term, but doesn't mean a whole lot.

Take a look at that picture I linked, the "Slayer" from Heart of Storms. He's a true & serious "warlord" of the the Orcish Horde. He's a "Slayer", though, a dude who SLAYS. Rack of skulls (crowned with an Azerothian Knight's helmet), giant horned helmet, cool belt & loincloth & boots, MASSSSSIVE pitted rough-steel Sword, huge flaming torch (why? Looks cool. Because reasons. :p). His abilities involve Screaming and Raging and Flailing around.

Or instead... Perhaps going with the unit/hero in the very beginning of the Human campaign of RoC; the Orcish "Slave Master". He rides a horse & uses a club, but he's a villainous foe. Maybe this guy is sort of a "Taskmaster/Overlord". Give him a crazy spiked whip (doesn't have to use it if you can't animate that; just have it coiled by his side/back). Give him the heads of rebel slaves on a rack on his back. Give him a giant jangly set of keys around his belt/neck. Give him a belt!! Give him a quiver of slow-poison darts to stop insurrection. Maybe replace the axe with a super-Truncheon (like the police). His abilities involve Crushing and Punishing and Torturing and Incarcerating.

Think about that, too: This may be just a model contest, but sometimes it can help to treat it like a Hero contest. Think about what kind of hero your model is making, and that can help you flesh out what makes him Unique. Epic. Heroic.

Hope that helped. Boy are my wrists tired... :p

~~~

Hmm... Well to be honest, it looks like all you've done is turn the Alpha channels into TeamColor (a little weird) and heightened the mane. I'm not sure what you were going for, or how far you meant to edit it. As it stands, though, this really isn't even much a creep, much less a Hero. What are you going for, ultimately?

Alright, like I said, definitely coming along. However, I'll warn you about what you quoted me saying in your Orcish Marauder; hopefully you have some plans as to how to set this lady apart as a Hero (because right now she's little more than a Unit with hero-glow). Some big swarthy robes across the shoulders might be nice. Not sure; will have to see more of what you're going for.

You definitely have it in you; I've seen it. :p

Yeah, that's still not working. Nor is going straight to the link (extracting the URL by Quoting you); says "it takes too long". Is this on an album or something?

EXCELLENT! You guys are starting to get it. This is what I'm talking about; even if I don't love your end-product, BT, I'm glad you are getting the idea.

This contest is all about creative combinations & twists on concepts. If we all just take/make unit models & stick hero-glow, we've missed the point. But taking the Necromancer and going "Plague Doctor", then amping up the "plague" aspect with a fungal bent... I'm intrigued. :p

Not sure what texture to use, though, unless you can split the head & the fungus into different textures. I mean, you could use the actual Blizzard mushroom-trees from Draenor, I s'pose...

I don't like that *asterisk*... But yeah, it's all me, man. I've always had a soft spot for word-play. :p And 'punmanship' is one of my few talents. xD

Alright! This is pretty neat. Done before, but not too much in regular War3. (I've always marveled at the dearth of "royalty riding big animal/throne/palanquin" models).

I know this is an early WIP, so I'll just echo Astaroth to say that crazy plate-armor & more Royal-ish features (reef crown!) will be awexome. Maybe a little tent over his head, or a magicky 'orb of depths' floating in front of him.

Just as a side-thought, try to differentiate the Turtle a bit from the existing in-game Turtle? Not sure how, probably through changing proportions (thinner, longer neck, etc?).

Looking forward to more.

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ~update~

Please check out the Second Post everyone; I have pretty much finished updating it.

(The reason I say that is because it contains many examples that should answer your mechanical questions ("can I do male <-> female", "can I do different race", etc), as well as your thematic questions ("how different can I make it", "what makes a hero Heroic", etc).)

Also, be sure to read the First Post, as it contains not only the Rules & Guidelines to model by, and the Criteria you'll be judged by, but also includes extensive Examples & Explanations that should help.

~~~

If anyone is at a lack for ideas, bring it up here! I know me personally, I can probably come up with at least 2-3 ideas for any given unit you can pick. Pick a favorite unit(s) and have at it! Don't let anyone stall for lack of ideas.

That is all.

18. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's on my album. I'll update the post then.

19. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Man, it's been forever since I've signed in here...

Quick concept sketch, complete with Uber-80s-Hair!

Let's do this >:D

Attached Files:

20. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Holy sh*t, it's A.R.

...We're all doomed.