1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Is that a faerie dragon hero?

2. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yep.

3. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Moe of a fairy dragon wizard\shaman

4. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
  5. Kwaliti

Kwaliti

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That counts as optimization. What won't be seen shouldn't be there.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Still got no time... But BT, you force my hand. :p

First thing, Sketchfab fails to load for me no matter what I do. If possible, I appreciate a quick print-screen. :p No big deal, though.

I gotta say, it's definitely looking better... The Warcraft style of 'low-poly' is pretty much there, and the shoulder-hooks (Kerrigan, much?) give it a definite & unique silhouette, as we've discussed...

However, it's just striking a weird chord for me. I'm not sure if it's because of how similar it looks to the Lich, still (will I/we ever be able to escape that bias, given it's an Undead 'hero necromancer'? Then again, since this is a modelling contest & not a hero contest, does the comparison even matter?). Also, it looks strikingly-similar to this interesting model by Donut3.5 (not sure if that was intentional). But yeah. Just some thoughts.

I could be totally wrong. I'd be interested to see him skinned & moving. I'm just worried; I feel like as a "guardian of death", he should have some more... character? Right now he makes me think "Lich + abomination Hook-tentacles". Guardian of death... Books? Coffin? Partially mummified? Jackal's-head? Skulled Shield?

Two last gripes:
    1) You've got lots of Team-Color, but look at other models; rarely do they include it merely at the tips of everything (as you have done). Usually shoulder-pads, chest/back-plates, dress, arms/legs (bracers), stripes, helmet, etc... Gotta be easily seen from in-game.

2) Staff... Better than last one, but still really thin & lacking in... panache (wow, looked it up; that word actually means the right thing in that context :p).

~

Again, might just be me. Sorry if I seem overly critical. :< Just trying to help.

~~~

HappyCockroach, glad to see you could join us. :p I'm quite interested in seeing the Faerie Dragon chosen as a base (along with the Meat Wagon, one of the rarer entries). Remember that it need not be a direct translation (hero-version looks like unit, but more heroic), but can also be more indirect (like this concept art paired with this concept.)

7. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It does look a little like the lich. Maybe it IS a lich, hell, but I think the skin and animations will set it apart from the lich well enough. Also, I don't think it looks very much like that model you linked at all.
    Screw you Krybi. (J/K?)

You're right. He does need some sort of accessory. I actually REALLY like the skulled shield idea. It would fit quite literally perfectly.

The team color was just a draft. I will omit some of it, and I forgot to post the blockout I did of the back where I put a team colored plate on the back of his chest armor.

The staff was made with his attack animation in mind. Basically he will reach out, grasping the middle of the staff, and then flick his hand, which will cause the staff to blast magic and throw him into a massive recoil where his chains and body move around. The sphere and floating ring will move around wildly, but act as if they are connected via a ghostly chain. The rest of the staff is a collection of wood sticks haphazardly tied together.

He's sort of a half melee and half ranged necromancer death king.
    The chains should make for a really cool death animation. As he sinks struggling into the ground, he will attempt to hook into the ground with his chain hooks and stay above before finally failing and double dying.

Also, don't worry, the sketchfab is just a 3d view of the screenshot I posted earlier.
    I'll add the shield and then start the unwrapping. I wonder if I can make a melee attack his primary form of attack via chains and then use the animation described above as the spell animation. Would be even better with the shield. I could also add a ring of floating spikes around the sphere on the staff and have him use that to attack.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol, it happens. It's very much an opinion-based matter.

Also, I wasn't talking about the Abomination-torso; obviously that is different. :p But the Hook Horror has huge shoulder-mounted chained-hook-hands that (presumably on yours) swipe, and locomotes by means of a ring of chained-hook/claw-feet... Both of which are the primary "selling points" of your model (things that make it unique, different, cool, etc).

Oh, huh. You're welcome? I actually was just throwing it out there... But it's not bad. The biggest thing would be to make sure it doesn't look too much like the Revenant's (or WhiteDeath's "Hero Revenant" 's) shield. Maybe google some cool cultural shield (Norse? Indian? Kamchatkaian? :p) and 'death-ify' it.

Ah, cool. Didn't know you could do animations. That'll definitely do a lot towards giving him some character; I can already tell the death anim will be neat.

Your description of the staff-usage is a tad confusing, but I'll just trust you that it's not just "wave staff - magic bolt". Just saying the physical design of the mesh might be a little off in terms of Warcraft-ness.

Always cool, though, to have a unique hero in terms of gameplay (melee intelligence, ranged strength, etc). As a designer, it's a unique challenge; you have to find ways to counter the common issues with such a build (i.e. Intelligence heroes usually lack in Str, so are weak & ranged to stay alive... a melee intelligence hero must be able to keep himself alive. See Goblin Tinker).

Keep it up. :p

9. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Nailed it.

He's the hero the undead deserve, but not the one they need.
    [​IMG]

10. Chucky

Chucky

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It looks so cool, good job on adding those upper chains, still something bugs me about those that come out of his skirt...they look too much like the Lich's robe. Work more on the silhouette !

11. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    While the model looks extremely cool, BT, I must say he looks a bit too thin and flimsy to fit in WC3. The proportions are very long and thin; The reverse is usually true for Warcraft 3 models. Those bracers\gloves on his arms can be much thicker, and so could his arms themselves; Also, does he REALLY need all 5 fingers modeled out? Can't you introduce them as a cleverly-textured 2D plane thing, sort of like what the banshee has? Or maybe just make them cubical WC3 hands?
    His chest and the bottom part of him can also be wider. All in all, I think the biggest non-WC3 part of him right now are his proportions. They're too slender, while most WC3 things are bulky. Even the lich has a very bulky upper body and head - not to mention that thing on his back. In fact, I think that's exactly what your model needs - a big, bulky part of him that draws attention. His head, or something on his back(the coffin idea is cool), would be ideal.

12. HammerFist132

HammerFist132

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hello guys, I have learnt animating is 3ds max so maybe I will join.
    One question: we need to create new version of some wc3 model? For excample new tauren chiften?

13. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    we need to read the contest guidelines at the first post of this thread. :)

14. HammerFist132

HammerFist132

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I did, but I never understand it :). That is my main problem.

15. Kaizer

Kaizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow, there so many awesome entries :vw_death:

anyways..
    WIP 3
    [​IMG]

did some retexturing, remapping, replacing... alot of "re"
    I'm also currently learning animation from Retera, so expect it to have a new animation soon

I'm brainstorming on what kind of replacement is suitable for the whole arm, I want to change the arm because it very much resembles the unit =/

Attached Files:

16. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Nope you have to turn a WC3 UNIT into a HERO model.
    The Tauren Chieftain is already a hero, so you can't use that one, but you can choose the average Tauren unit if you want, and change him to a badass hero model :)

17. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You make a good point Deolrin. I'll change the proportions around and then move on to texturing. However, I think I'll keep the hands as they are. I modeled them after the dreadlord's hands (he has individual fingers to) and I think they fit. I guess I could make a plane work but I think his current hands are better. I made sure they were big too, so they can be seen.

18. HammerFist132

HammerFist132

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thank you, that even I can understand :)

19. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Ok, I bulked up his bracers, and slightly his upper arms, his entire upper torso got bigger, I changed the shape of his kilt slightly, and I removed about 50 triangles worth of unneeded polys.

It helped alot. I don't know If I want to add anything else. It might overcrowd the model.

Reveal
    [​IMG]

20. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Give him massive horns. Or a helmet with horns. Then it'll be perfect.