1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I've already fixed the portrait to look good, the head at the model represents the exact way it looks like in the portrait.

update.PNG
    update2.PNG

A quick update. Not sure on the weapon yet, might make a lightsaber style fusion so he can attack with 2 one handed and 1 double handed blade.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Okay it looks like this for now

My WIP
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Man, that's awzum :)
    Still no heroic peons tho :l

4. Kaizer

Kaizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Kyrbi0 mehehehe, sorry for not replying lol.
    Though shall not worry for I am being teaches by Retera on how to animate using Matrixeater. I really have some updates but it's just small and simple ones

5. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Proxy there is a better version of the spell breaker texture idk how its named but it is listed on the human expansion ui.

6. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    What unit is this Based on?

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Of course, of course. I wasn't saying you were done, just pointing out some things to change. :p

While I definitely love the black-fur style, I fear the wrapping will need some work; it looks like a hodge-podge of textures or fur-directions; a little like a charcoal-grey blob in-game.

Mojo mask? Like a Troll? I'm interested to see how that works on a non-Troll. :eek:

"Shaman Shadow Caster"... Hmm, interesting. So what does that mean? Like, what role would he fulfill in Orcish society? Is he the lovechild of the Orcish Shamans & Warlocks, or a figurative descendant of the Wc1 Necrolytes? Does he raise the dead, or just curse his foes? Does he literally use his enemies' shadow in battle against them? Figure out what exactly he does or would do, and that'll help give ideas for his staff.

Love the shocks of hair. :p

A blade makes sense, but think MORE. Think character. See below (and man, I didn't actually recognize those animations. :<...)

Huh, real interesting. I guess you're going Human, then? Interesting head-scarf-deal. Is that a staff, or a long-limbed club? :p

While I always love your creative weapons, and can definitely appreciate the tie-in to the Spellbreaker from whence he comes... I feel there's a lot more to be done with that character to give him some, well, character. :p

Case in point: Warcraft has no answer to Marvel's Gambit.
    [​IMG]
    Awexome super-thief, with a variety of powerful mutant abilities (charming people, charging things with explosive kinetic energy, manipulating static to block telepaths, parkour, and his bo-staff & martial arts. His "charging" ability can be done on a pack of cards so he can throw explosive cards with deadly accuracy. :p

Anyway, this guy really strikes some similar chords to me, and as stated, there's no Gambit-like hero in Wc3 whatsoever. Some sorta crazy-cool staff, maybe a deck of explosive cards and a trick dagger... I dunno, man. Not sure you could go wrong with that. : )

8. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Friday, Friday, gonna post WIPs on Friday :ogre_hurrhurr:

Did some texture tinkering and Warcraftified her by ~40%.

It's hard to tell from static images but Stand 1, Spell, Death, Dissipate and Walk are finished. I might try render out some .gifs when it's closer to final.
    Stand 2 is half-done, still working on Attack and Spell Channel/Slam/Whatever.

The Spell particles are the same as the Bloodmage/Priest (except purple, looks more dramatic) and are really sweet in-game.

Attached Files:

9. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    3DS max has been acting up recently. It's been flipping normals and UVs for no reason, and when I tried to uninstall and reinstall NeoDex, I can never get it to fully go away.
    The extent to which it is screwing up is quite difficult to describe.
    It is flipping the normals on primitives as soon as I create them. It is flipping the UVs on faces when I do things like extrude or add edge loops.
    I'm trying to reinstall it right now. Hopefully I can get it to work or else I may have some problems making a model for this contest.
    As good as 3ds max is, I have to admit it is not the most stable software ever.

10. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It really shouldn't be doing any of those things unless you have an Unwrap UV modifier on the mesh while you're extruding/cutting/adding faces :S

11. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I know. Fortunately a reinstall seemed to fix the normals and the UV problems, but NeoDex still will not go away. For some reason the NeoDex installer is still showing up under customize user interface even though it is clearly not in the folder. I don't think it matters but it's still bugging me. Also, 3ds max is still having a NeoDex related error upon startup.

Do you have a suggested way to uninstall NeoDex Blinkboy?

12. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Are you sure you're not using 3DS MAX 10+? Coz neodex is only supported in 3DS MAX 6-10 if my mind serves me right.

13. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    He did update it to work for later versions with neodex 2. I've never had any problems like this in any version until now though.

Nonetheless, they're gone now. I just managed to completely fix all of my problems after approx 3-4 hours of screwing around.

14. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    A (very) Slow Progress...

Here's my 2nd WIP...
    Progress is slow (very slow)...
    So far just converted the top shell of the turtle into 'Sunken Ruins Decor' (see first attachment picture)...
    Hmm... A Royal Murloc on a War-Turtle... Interesting suggestion...
    However, that concept would be more of a Strength Hero than the one I initially planned (Intellegence Hero)...
    Nevertheless, I will put this suggestion into consideration...

I planned to place the Naga's 'Altar of Depths' globe on the small 'Altar' (in front of the 'Throne') and have it glowing when a 'Spell' is cast/channel...
    You are right about 'Differentiating the Turtle from the other in-game Turtle', and I have been thinking about that too...
    But with the current top-shell design I have made, the Turtle must have strong, powerful legs to carry such weight...
    Perhaps I should turn the toe-nails into claws, and modify the turtle-head to look more Dragon-like...

And there is the problem with the Murloc, and how to make it look shaman/mage-like (it will probably be in sitting position)...
    If I switch the Hero type from 'Intelligence' to 'Strength', I will use Astaroth Zion's suggestion PLUS switch the Murloc into its bulkier cousin the Depth Murloc (WoW version)...

With the way the model currently are, I will add corals around the 'Sunken Ruins' structure (especially the 'Throne'), and build an 'Ocean-Theme Staff' to fit into the 'Intellegence Murloc Hero' concept...

SIDE-QUEST : During my 'Away Time' from my 'Contest-Theme Model' work, I manage to mash up 'Sentry/Huntress' with 'Priestess of the Moon' to create another 'Contest-Theme Model' (check the second attachment picture)...
    Bear in mind that this model WILL NOT STEP IN for the Murloc Hero I am still working on if I fail to complete it in time (It has the same animation as the Priestess of the Moon, too simple for submission)...

Attached Files:

15. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wip 2

Here it is.. Sword and shield. What next?

Attached Files:

16. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    That's one badass turtle throne. ;D

17. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm completely changing the way it will work from now on. Its an option i didnt want but will have to do.

18. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    ROFL, is there something as funny??
    \\Another Wip, this is a temp staff I'll change it as soon as possible...
    Click
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Looking good, everypony!

One point I wanted to make before commenting on the rest... Basically, even if people are picking the same or similar units, remember that there are always plenty of ways to do something. Especially something as free-form as this. :p

Case in point, I've made some additions to the Second Post, example here:

Additions

Naga Royal Guard -> [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Jigrael, Jigrael, Misha, -Grendel, dickxunder

[​IMG]
    At least 5 ways to do the Naga Royal Guard.

~~~

Also, one other thing to point out:

Originally Later
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This might be a good example of "what makes a hero, a true hero" in terms of what I've been trying to describe. These are both made by the same artist (jigrael/Tarrasque), yet it's easy to see which is the better (and I think jigrael would agree).

The first is excellent, "completes the mission" as it were; extra armor, hero glow, different colors (from the Naga Myrmidon, which the Royal Guard is like a Hero-version of in the first place).
    However, the second one "accomplishes the mission", "goes above & beyond". It's entirely different; still fitting the Theme & Role, but is an entirely different character.

Achieve the first one, and you've got a really solid entry. But shoot for the second one; achieve it, and you've got a contest-winning entry.

20. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    May i ask this silly question?

When we done our model, we're gona attach them here via attachment or post them in Resource section first then post here the direct link? :D