1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Who votes I make this instead of the Kraken?
    [​IMG]
    Night Elf Bear Rider!

Attached Files:

2. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    My opinion...
    If you want to go for this 'Bear Priestess', please improve the humanoid's features...
    The default 'Moon Priestess' humanoid is kinda low definition to my eyes...

3. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that's why I was working on that one in the upper-left of that last picture. It's a bit of a buggy model though >.<
    Too much Matrix-Eater-ing and not enough precise care.

Attached Files:

4. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Default races mechanic units need more love.

I am in with the Meat Tank (meat wagon hero)

5. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wow am impressed, Looking good...

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Huh. To be honest, my Lore-Alert (tm) is off the hook... How do Night Elves ride Lordaeron Bears? Unless it's actually a Druid of the Claw... Then eeeeeewwwww. :p

At first, I thought you were linking a picture of a WoW "bear priestess" (hence hi-poly), and then 5 shots of your Wc3-version of it. To which I would agree; needs more definition of the rider & such, more differentiation of bear (although the armor & tattoo are a good start).
    If instead you are actually working on the top-left one as your submission... Well then it not only seems weird, but it looks out of place in Wc3 as well. Don't forget that part of the criteria. :p

I dunno, it's creative and only feasible with your revolutionary tool, which I can respect. But it just seems weird, and (as aforementioned, if the top-left) too advanced or too de-vanced.

Do you need some ideas? What's your favorite in-game unit? Or a hero (model) you've always wanted to make?

I love you. :p

Totally an angle no one has gone with yet (though my Second Post details Deolrin & low_Kwaliti's "Hero Dwarven Siege Engine"...) I'm actually kinda keen on this; are you going to actually make it Mechanical like the Meat Wagon, or Organic & inspired thematically/aesthetically by the Meat Wagon? Or go all-crazy and make an "evil earth-elemental", made from the soil of a haunted graveyard, and studded with tombstones & meat-wagon claws.

Yeeeeaaaah. I'll just sit quietly and wait now. :p

7. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm having some serious issues trying to pull off the look I had in mind in a warcraft low poly style. Now matter how hard I try I cannot get the face right. I'm starting to wonder If I should pick a different unit. I still want to do undead, but I just don't think I can pull this off the way that I want.

I think I might try the banshee. I have plenty of time, and I have never done something like a banshee before. Any thoughts?

8. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What exactly are you having trouble with BallisticTerrain? Are you still working with the mesh or have you moved on to the texture?

9. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The mesh. I decided to remake the model because it didn't seem to blend well enough with both warcraft 3 and the undead. The face just isn't working for me. I might try something different and more "scourge" but I think I'm going to give it a rest for a day or two. I almost never have any problems with the texture once I get the character's mesh nailed down.

EDIT: To be honest, now that I think about it, I'm not super interested in a banshee. I still want to do a necromancer but I need a few days to think about how to pull it off in the way I want.

10. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You may be having proportional issues? WC3 humans/humanoid have very wacky proportions, while the mesh that you presented earlier was far more realistic.

11. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Sort of, but it was more the general concept was wrong. Proportion was definitely a problem though.

12. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That WoW-looking bear priestess is really just a couple of WC3 campaign menu screen models stitched together in the Matrix Eater with the animations of the other model pictured (which was made from typical wc3 models). I didn't fit the animations onto it too well, and I think I'd have to redo a lot of that model to make it look any good.

Anybody got any ideas for how to make a good Makrura hero? Heaven's Fall's Makrura hero is still using a default wc3 model, maybe I could make a Makrura hero if I get some good ideas.
    But, the Matrix Eater requires good ideas to make good things happen.

13. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Retera, I think you should keep working on the WC3 version, but change more stuff. For one, you should probably make the night elf a bit smaller, because the bear looks tiny, considering proportions and such. Then, you should start working on General Frank-esque geomerging - replace her head, rewrap her body, add various parts like shoulderpads and more armor, change her weapon, add a saddle to the bear, add eye-glow, etc.

14. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm... Maybe so.
    In the mean time, just for a bit of fun, I tried to make BallisticTerrain's model with the Matrix Eater and made something interesting of a Necromancer...

Attached Files:

15. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hmm, interesting. I just had an idea from looking at your necromancer that's actually my necromancer except yours.

16. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    He better has some cuts on his cape or a ruined cape i think? Hehe

This is my last WIP for the mount, removed all the messes at his neck-head and reduced the neck's length (I have tweaked its head and feets so it would be more lion-ish now lol).

Attached Files:

17. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Wow ice it's looking great. I really love the texture, you applied some nice color theory to it. The only thing I'm wondering is where the team color will be, if you replace all that black areas, it will be excessive, plus it needs to be in a very visible spot.

18. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thanks ;)

I think i'll add some team color on the Rider and the TeamGlow (I had a plane to turn this Raven-Wings into Wc3 Griffon's wings which have TeamColor too)

19. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Impressing model, Pretty good looking but the tail tip look a little weird, it need to look more like the one of a male lion I guess.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  20. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Retera
    Kraken forever. That priestess riding a bear looks awkward. What happened to the kraken? Too hard to animate?

@icewolf055
    Looks cool. A sphinx?