1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by MiniMage, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, lookin' cool. Minimage must be jealous. :p I like that little 'gear-minigun-seat' that the Goblin in front is using, especially.

Hey, cool! Haven't seen anything from you in a while, so I look forward to your entry. So far it looks interesting (though something about it seems a tiny bit 'un-Warcraft-ish'... I'm being very vague, so I'm probably wrong, but just my thoughts... :p), and I can't wait to see what the Arms are.

Oh, sorry, I thought it was a gun. It's not really a big deal to me whether they are guns or tazers or drills or whatever. :p
    That being said, I think you may have missed my point; I don't think they should become more detailed (because as you pointed out, this is a simple-type model (unit or summon; not a Hero or building with tons of polies & SFX & animations); just more "Warcraft-y", which in this case would mean "bigger and more exaggerated. It's hard to explain, but the Wc3-style lives off of massive pauldrons & overly-large weapons & super-huge SFX & giant flowy capes & huge meaty hands, etc... It's just sort of a part of the whole "silly over-the-top fantasy feel". If you're making something that could fit in Wc3 (especially the crazy Goblins :p), that's something to consider.

On that note, I understand you keeping them small for the sake of realism... But again, 'realism' is often thrown out the window when it comes to Wc3 modeling. A lot of the coolest stuff Blizzard (& our own Wc3-modding guys) have made has been intentionally un-real, and over-the-top.

Hey, we're not trying to bash a first-contest-goer-guy. We're here to help. : )

At the root of this issue, I believe, stands the fact that one word can mean a lot of different things to different people; in order to host a contest like this where a Theme is voted upon, decided upon, and then made the "standard" for a contest, the Theme should be explained in clear terms that make the outcome plain, leaving no uncertainty.

I am not sure this was done sufficiently for "Steampunk". It appears Minimage and others have one idea of "Steampunk", and many others share a different idea.

If I may submit, I believe their suggestions to you are merely trying to avoid everyone making models that are too "generically Mechanical"; i.e. if your model could fit just as easily in a "Make a Mechanical Unit - Modeling Contest", then that's the issue they see. To some, "Steampunk" is a valid & significantly-different style of "mechanicks"; one that does indeed run (pretty much) solely on Steam Power (so boilers & furnaces & turbines & chimneys & steam/smoke & such), and often has a strong 'Victorian-era' aesthetic (hard to describe, so I'd suggest looking it up; H.G. Wells, big flowy dresses, monocles, top hats, 'how technology would look if designed by 17th century English-men); a lot of the mechanical marvels of the "Leviathan" trilogy by Scott Westerfeld are a great example of the Steampunk genre.

Anyway, big-wall-of-text aside, I think that maybe the issue some are having with some of the entries so far in this contest. It's nothing personal; but it's an issue that I wish was resolved before people started; that is, a strict & clear definition of terms (in the Theme).

(On a sidenote, I think big spinning gears will definitely go a long way towards making your neat Terror/Goblin/Death Drone-thing both more 'Goblin-y' and more 'Steampunk-y'. :p)

2. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Fucking sweet dude. Whoo for goblins. Seriously, I will be using that model when you are done with it. I tried making hoverships multiple times before, but I just never got happy with it. Your model however, is lovely. ;D

3. icewolf055

icewolf055

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    My 2nd WIP, i removed the hood lol. :xxd:
    [​IMG]

Still no armor just yet :D

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. Pvt.Toma

Pvt.Toma

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So nuclear reactors work just as fine as long as steampowered? :D
    Except, of course, Thorium-based ones. Let's just talk about nuclear-powered steam stuffs.

5. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, to be fair, a nuclear reactor is essentially a steam turbine with a stronger thermal source.
    I thought I was going to see more submarines because of this mindset of mine. XD

The biggest difficulty would be to make a nuclear reactor look victorian era though.

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    nuclear? :p that's essentially Gnomish steampunk. a lot of radiation, buzzing coils and steam to have :p Like Gnomeregan

7. grunt

grunt

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    my second wip not realy satisfied with the result :(

[​IMG]

8. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hehe, with sorcereress pose and stature looks ... gay, or like ... Conchita wurst :D

9. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I have to agree with you there. It's the female body that does it. He really does look gay. XD
    I would suggest broadening the waist and enlarging arms and legs somewhat. Also, the chest area needs to be pushed in. Men does not have boobs.

10. grunt

grunt

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I got it XD !! I was sure that there was something strange about it but now I realise :p
    thanks guys !! I'll change that :) !!

11. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That gentleman has a very waspish waist.

12. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    indeed.

13. kellym0

kellym0

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ''On that note, I understand you keeping them small for the sake of realism...''

like I Said, the hands and blade needed to stay small so they can slurp inside their arms hatches so the arms can be inside him during burrow. but ok I get most of you're point.

il work on making the drone feel less star wars ish and more bioshock ish

14. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Since I can't use the Helix
    I'll go with this, the thing I've been working for yesterday
    ----------------------------------------
    MAX Tanki = Mark Avenger X Tanki

Attached Files:

15. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    You could combine both by animating the scale of the bone (weapons smaller to get inside, bigger when out to be more visible/warcrafty)

16. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Wip Here, Wip There...
    WIP

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, now that's an excellent idea; decent compromise.

Y'know, I really like the proportions on that thing. Just nice and zany.

18. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thanky Panky but It's a bit messy.

19. Kazeon

Kazeon

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    win.

EDIT:
    eh, just to remind you still haven't judges ;)

20. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Awesome piece -Grendel.

Thread Status: