• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #8 - Steampunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously do not see what is there then. It's a clockwerk port. PRECISELY TUNED

REALLY NOW!
atm it's like, here's all grass and shit, here's some clockwork things in the front, here's a random railway ending in a black hole (?) and then in the background it's a pretty cool but kinda steamfree port, some very interesting things what with the lava pouring thing and other interesting contraptions, and then there's a white line on the water (waves?) then there's a pretty baller submarine being a giant monster COMING OUT OF THE DEPTHS and a kinda boring white mountain background : (
tbh, the grass looks a bit out of place to me, so does that weird black hole thing on the railway. if the whole thing were a bit more organized or more chaotically organized (ie. organized with chaos, y'know)
butttttt it's a pretty cool thing what with that submarine

Level 15
I didn't count Cobra, The-Raven, or Real Impact cause I thought theirs were just wips, no final. But I completely forgot about Megafyr.

BTW 12 hours remaining.

Level 12
I didn't count Cobra, The-Raven, or Real Impact cause I thought theirs were just wips, no final.

I never updated mine for several reasons:
1. My schedule got really busy when school started.
2. I could not find a good way to make my terrain look any better.
3. Whenever I tried to add in some epic lighting, my computer would crash.

So, yeah. I'll just leave my terrain as it is to be judged. Good luck everyone!

Let me now comment:
Keiji:
I like the idea, but the ground. Just ruined the terrrain. I mean why are there carpets and flags under an arch of rotating gear? The background is completely empty. All in all, it looks good.
Pker49:
The foreground is empty and doesn't look anything like steam punk. Green Grass and flowers + Steampunk= Fail. The sky doesn't blend in with the mountains and the mountains are sharp and unnatural. I like the lava tough.
Chaos:
The terrain is pretty good. The robots are great too. The only thing i don't like is the that you didn't make a background or a ground. But it looks better of without them. The Sun Flares are good, don't know much about them to comment tough.

Level 19
here is my judging lets get this contest finished quickly for once!
sry for screwing your names :D

@megafyr
like i said this is one of the best modernt looking terrains i ever seen! i cant really see nothing wrong with it
it kinda gives it that halflife2-ish feel, not really sure its steampunk... its more like a really awesome city!

creativity 13
detail 14
technique 13
theme 9

@famouspker
that sub is going to get washed ashore! the dead trees dont really go with the green grass, foreground is kinda flat, and the pine trees on the mountains dont look really good
also that moon or whatchacallit is too tealisih, it should be tinted down a bit

creativity 13
detail 9
technique 9
theme 10

@chaos
the sky is awesome! and so are the flares but! the spider thing on the left is too fogged, and the spiders aren't complex enough for my taste >:p

creativity 12
detail 13
technique 11
theme 11

@oziris
thats one moody city you have there :p, i dont really get the random glows down there. if you wanted to light things up, you should have used lanterns near the windows or something(that main building needs some serious lightning)

creativity 10
detail 12
technique 11
theme 9

@keiji
cool idea! and very well executed, well some blooby glows and floating trees spoil it here and there, also i find that clothes hanging wire tied to a giant cog kinda lulzy xD

creativity 14
detail 13
technique 10
theme 12

@real impact
like i said, the rocks in the back where those arches are, the green and red glows need to be tinted down. they stand out to much

creativity 11
detail 9
technique 9
theme 11

@cobraB
all i see is brownness! srsly needs more colour. The main building is very well executed though

creativity 9
detail 13
technique 9
theme 9

@the rave
blizzard cliffs, no fog, end of the world, lol cursor? better practice more :p
creativity 12
detail 8
technique 7
theme 10

win: megafyr, keiji
2: chaos
3: oziris

personaly if it wasnt for megafyr's awesome execution keiji would be on top because of his creativity
i mean every fucking entry has a train and a city!
that is not very creative!

Level 18
I was going to submit an updated version but I guess I missed the deadline lol.

And Belg I'm sorry that a lack of steam spam doesn't fit your definition of steam punk. I actually thought out the city somewhat and put steam where there are powerplants and such powering various things in the city. The black rail way is one that leads underground? And the random gearwork is a set of stairs from a house somewhat outside of the port with a somewhat plan/natural foreground so you can actually still see the submarine. A steampunk world is not all gears and such. I also think the white line you are talking about, might be like.... white-water, you know when water churns real fast or something bursts the fuck out of the water? Usually some of that going on.

raid, the submarine is going in to get repaired and whatnot in the giant columns that are chilling there.

Level 19
there!

Attachments

• 67427d1255546068-terraining-contest-8-eternal-life.png
    67427d1255546068-terraining-contest-8-eternal-life.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 244
Just as a foreword, I thought the contest went extremely well. One of the best yet, we had extremely high scoring in my book. Especially for such a difficult theme, it went extremely smoothly and extremely well.
Well done, everyone.

Seemed a bit more like Star Wars etc than Steampunk, but hit the mark right on pretty much for me. Good use of extreme warm colours, sun flare is well done, the ground is pretty good. Could've used a higher angle of attack camera and some more detail on the ground.

Creativity: 12/15
Detail: 9/15
Technique: 10/15
Theme: 5/5
36/50

Pretty nice platforms etc, but a couple of things bugged me; firstly the use of the tauren marine/grom commander unit, seemed a little strange to me - they just looked out of place IMO. The gardens were made quite well, nice floating. Now, the ground was not soooo good. The trees were pretty bland and repetitive, the tile variation pretty much unnoticeable and insignificant other than black:white variation, from this distance. I liked the church on the right, but the gearwheel archways seemed a bit overkill.

Detail: 10/15
Technique: 11/15
38/50

Super terrain and all, BUT, it seemed more like a futuristic terrain, compared to a steampunk terrain. The robots especially so, the T-51bs were acceptable (I thought they looked like old men :<), but the robots just looked too futuristic for my taste. As well as that, the aircraft seemed a tad too advanced, not too much, but seemed a bit hovercrafty. The scene seemed a bit generic too, military unit waiting for pickup, with different elements, seems like it. Other than that, great terrain.

Creativity: 9/15
Detail: 14/15
Technique: 13/15
Theme: 3/5
39/50

Well done using high res models in a pretty good way, Gilles would even agree, I think. The colours of the whole image were 'just so', and not monotonous, but rather extremely nice. The burning tower was a bit of a question, but still nice, and I thought that aircraft the size of buildings isn't needed, looked a bit... out of place. The use of an inspiration was well done.

Creativity: 10/15
Detail: 10/15
Technique: 9/15
34/50

Well, it sure is creative, since it's pretty random to anyone but you, I assume. When looked at specifically, I can see the attention to detail you put into it, with every spot being just so. The railway clipped a little, but that wasn't extremely noticeable. Of course, one's eyes are drawn to the submarine so the rest just clinks in and fits quite well, the submarine's great. Loved the lava pouring device. The fog was rather unfitting IMO.

Detail: 12/15
Theme: 4/5
38/50

A good styled steampunk, crowded, gloomy city, with some crazy bugger on a tower. Not too creative, but quite well executed. Sun flare and the sky were quite nice, I thought the glows were too obvious as lights, if you'd lowered them more, it would've been better (IMO). Maybe using lights instead would've worked. The railway and the steam was quite nice.

Detail: 11/15
Technique: 11/15
37/50

Like I said before, very steampunky. The green glows were a bit strange now, nuclear reactors already? The use of the high res rocks in the foreground was alright, but the rest of it was pretty bland. The train looks extremely high tech. Also, 'lava' amongst the buildings seemed kinda weird.

Detail: 9/15
34/50

Needed an in-world edit shot to really be better. Trees were abysmal, barrens are just crap. The train was quite nice, the people were alright, the buildings looked pretty out of place. Lacked a fog and normal hills/cliffs. Keep trying. :- )

Creativity: 7/15
Detail: 7/15
Technique: 8/15
Theme: 4/5
26/50

Level 15
First Place - Megafyr (47.9/60)
Second Place - Keiji (47.3/60)
Third Place - Chaos. (45.1/60)

Others

FamousPker49 (43.3/60)
Oziris (43.2/60)
CoBrA B (40.4/60)
Real Impact (40.4/60)
The-Rave (34.1/60)

I'll be back on in a few hours to re-calculate it to double check.

Level 15
lol, you wish I lied. To put it in simple terms that you can understand. You and Famous got 1-2 points ahead of me according to Belg. But Raid gave me a much higher score then you two. So if you do the simple math.... I win.

Level 15
hehe, oh no!! you caught me. I admit it. I haxed the site and changed the judges posts to give me more points. Im sry I'll change it back with my super epic haxing powas. lulz

BTW, I just double checked it and got all the same results. So if some one else wants to do the math as well then go for it.

Level 13
No ur 2 late Kimmy got 2 turn in earlier only way u could have turned in is if the contest was moved to a later date.

Level 18
Lol Famour Pker, i love you and everything....

but LOL your terrain wasn't that great at all. Not to be mean but you dont deserve 3rd place x_x

the Submarine was freaken awsome, but everything else the background , foreground was just ..... not steampunk at all lol im sorry.

I think some unfair judging occured here *cough* (Dont -rep me) *cough *

in all honesty, it should have been
1) Megafyr
2) Chaos
3) Ozirus

honestly i think the judges should reconsider, and actually look at the terrains, and not the person terraining them.

edit : and btw, i dont think judges should be able to VOTE FOR THEMSELVES ! WTF ! This contest was definetly the worst yet. ( good entries, bad judges )

* Braces for getting hit with negative rep *

Lol Famour Pker, i love you and everything....

but LOL your terrain wasn't that great at all. Not to be mean but you dont deserve 3rd place x_x

the Submarine was freaken awsome, but everything else the background , foreground was just ..... not steampunk at all lol im sorry.

I think some unfair judging occured here *cough* (Dont -rep me) *cough *

in all honesty, it should have been
1) Megafyr
2) Chaos
3) Ozirus

honestly i think the judges should reconsider, and actually look at the terrains, and not the person terraining them.

edit : and btw, i dont think judges should be able to VOTE FOR THEMSELVES ! WTF ! This contest was definetly the worst yet. ( good entries, bad judges )

* Braces for getting hit with negative rep *

Are you retarded? raid and me both didn't enter. As famous said, steampunk isn't necessarily ALL SHIT STEAM GREY STOOF AND SHIT YO, his one was quite steampunky; either way, a picture doesn't need to be the certain theme all over the place, construction theme had one or two constructions maybe - I don't think there was a single 100% construction picture.
Instead of blurting out crap, you could look at the terrains in question and maybe YOU should reconsider what you're saying. I'm not reconsidering my judging, I considered it enough when I did it.

Just a sidenote, it seems that when the poll counts for something, a shitstorm happens about the poll, now, when it's completely judges, there's person(s) complaining about that. Another one of those things that can never be right, I suppose.

Level 18
umm im not gonnna argue thourghly about this subject because i could care less. But let me straighten out my statement :

1) I mis understood the fact that " Chaos " was a judge. I looked at his posts and thought he was a judge. I reread the first post and dont see him there so im guessing hes not a judge unless something otherwise occured during the creation of this contest to now. So im sorry about that one

2) i thouroly stand by my statement that Famous PKer's Terrain is not as good as the other terrains. for one thing, the execution is far too horrible for what it is. The Fog and mountains are terrible, organization is helter skelter. Nothing seems to be scaled correctly, i mean serisouly the flowers are as big as the Railroad's width ??! Not to mention you have terrains here that look wayy more steampunk then Famous's although retract my statement about it not being steampunk, but instead is " Not as " steampunk as both chaos's and oziruses.

3) i have thourghly investigated all the terrains. and have come to the conclusion that famouses terrain shouldn't be 3rd place. As far as originality Vs. theme goes, i think ozirus's , although not extremly original, but theme wise is 15 /15. You cant get any more freakin stempunk then THAT! As for Famous's, extremely original, but exeution and theme wise is not so good.

Look im not a judge, my opinion in this contest doesn't matter anyway. Im just voicing my opinion. Noone should take this to heart. But i must say :

If i made a terrain that was an ugly blizzard cliff forest, and then put a nice well built robot in the middle of it, BAM ! thats orignal steampunk am i not correct ? * sarcasm cough *

2) ...i thouroly stand by my statement that Famous PKer's Terrain is not as good as the other terrains. for one thing, the execution is far too horrible for what it is. The Fog and mountains are terrible, organization is helter skelter. Nothing seems to be scaled correctly, i mean serisouly the flowers are as big as the Railroad's width ??! Not to mention you have terrains here that look wayy more steampunk then Famous's although retract my statement about it not being steampunk, but instead is " Not as " steampunk as both chaos's and oziruses....

The theme is a theme, a guide, your terrain does not need to be steampunk in every little nook and cranny. Like I said before, construction. The organization is intended to be helter skelter, I'm pretty sure, if you look a bit more closely, you can see a bit of a pattern stand out; either way, Oziris's organization isn't helter skelter? I don't know about you, but that's pretty unorganized with the buildings just fucking everywhere, lights in random spots, the railways + the big building are organized, I suppose.

...3) i have thourghly investigated all the terrains. and have come to the conclusion that famouses terrain shouldn't be 3rd place. As far as originality Vs. theme goes, i think ozirus's , although not extremly original, but theme wise is 15 /15. You cant get any more freakin stempunk then THAT! As for Famous's, extremely original, but exeution and theme wise is not so good....

A. famous's terrain is 4th place, might want to at least get your facts right
B. Theme. Like I said, theme isn't meant to be your whole damn terrain, that's why it's a theme, it's why you get a theme, not a "make this terrain" for a contest. Execution on famous's isn't exactly the best, but it's quite good, for example, you thought the organization was shit. I'm quite sure that was intended. Theme: there's clutter like hell in the town, a submarine jumping out of the ground, a railway, hey, some grass, now that is absolutely unheard of! Just because it's steampunk doesn't mean there can't be things non-steampunk and green.
C. Oziris received full theme marks by me, I think raid too. Why the fuck are you complaining?

... If i made a terrain that was an ugly blizzard cliff forest, and then put a nice well built robot in the middle of it, BAM ! thats orignal steampunk am i not correct ? * sarcasm cough *

Sure, it's "sarcasm", but in this case it seems like you mean it, I'm guessing it's your attack on famous's terrain again.
This type of thing once again? I wouldn't normally bother, but apparently you seem a bit blind to the world. Seriously, what type of retarded question is that?
No.
In case you haven't noticed, famous doesn't only have a "nice well built robot" , he has a whole steampunk town; his "ugly blizzard cliff forest" is quite a nice environment.

Level 15
To be honest, Belgarath, I think the theme judging points should be a little higher. It's 5 if I am right, yeah? 5 points is seriously not that much, and to be honest, you can just make a terrain without any steampunk and just make it so awsome that you don't need those 5 points >.>

Now that was maybe a lil sarcasm, but maybe you should consider raising it, to like 10? So the theme is something worth aiming for and not just a guideline.

Theme is a guideline: if it says construction, was the whole picture construction? Theme was usually a pretty easy mark. I didn't really like the judging schedule in the first page, so I just used my own numbers.
The theme mark is the overall theme mark for me. If the terrain had nothing to do with steampunk, the rest of the marks would be lower too, because it's not "creative steampunk" etc.

Level 18
Make one that is better. Both of you. WILL and deathhunter

I really don't care about places but as far as Oziris' terrain goes. I really see no steampunk at all. I see a HUGE building, then random small ones that are overlapping that have random chimneys sticking out of them, and a giant red smokestack? Sure it's a good terrain but steam punk, not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.