• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #8 - Steampunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
WIP #1

This seemed like a good theme to do in Hi-Res.

All custom models used are from the UTM, THW, and Wc3C.

Comments and Criticism always welcome. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Steampunk WIP 1.png
    Steampunk WIP 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12,377
Let me comment on cobra b's terrain. The houses look totally random placed but in a good way, I like the main building, tough your main building doesn't match the theme. I'm doing my terrain based of the same picture... >.> Only the angel looks different. Well, i should post mine now, seeing people making terrain on that picture. But i didn't finish the ground, so just look at the good part. No copy paste.

Attachments

• Steampunk.JPG
    Steampunk.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 189
Level 15
@Oziris: Looks kinda nice, matches the theme well. I don't really like the fact that the Trainrails you have chosen.... Well, looks so good, would be more nice if you had made likewise yourself. And also, the houses looks WAY too small, they are like, smaller than the Train :O ANd the main building also, looks way too big for the other houses.
But the construction and placement of everything looks very nice, keep working :')

I think I'll join myself, but this seems hard, since everyone based ther terrain on the google picture.... Well, I'll try to make something unique :D

Level 18
Ozirus - i like the fact that the train is gigantic and the houses small. It means alot in a sence, and it contrasts from scaling as we see things today...who knows, maybe trains in the future will be fuckin humongous o_O

very nice so far i c

Cobra - Wow, amazing. However, the terrain in itself looks too messy. Probably the combination of Spam and non matching doodad textures make it appear that way.

however the atmosphere is very fururistic i like it. Keep improving it man =)

This is my WIP3
There's the poor district and the rich district.
I'm still not sure in putting the Magic Globe that has a park in it. You ask yourself why is it in a globe? The answer is easy. Everything is corrupted by the smoke of fabrics and other pollution structures.It's hard for nature to survive under these circumstances ( For some reason it's hard to see the water i made ).
Feedback needed for more improvement. Thanks.

Attachments

• WIP3#.JPG
    WIP3#.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 223
Level 19
The first two wips was my first Idea, but I'm not gonna finish it, because it's too hard to make good looking. It was some sort of plugged in robot thing inside a cave with scientists around...

The third is what I have made now. Still working on it. :)

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and post my most likely final in this post.

Edit 2: Added more detail and lightning.

Edit 3: Added even more detail and lightning.

Edit 4: Now I am out of ideas. : <

Attachments

• WIP Steam punk.jpg
    WIP Steam punk.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 180
  • WIP Steam punk2.jpg
    WIP Steam punk2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 157
  • wip steam punk3.jpg
    wip steam punk3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Steampunk.png
    Steampunk.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
  • Steampunk final.png
    Steampunk final.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • Steampunk (4).png
    Steampunk (4).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 221
  • Steam Punk Final.png
    Steam Punk Final.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Level 18
wow megafyr might win this one.

Ozirus, very nice, but i agree with belgareth, the City cuts off a bit to prematurly. and the sky seems a bit to cheery blueish for the scene. PErhaps a dark sky, outland sky, or something ( im not experienced with Steampunk so idk)

i suggest useing the doodad " fog " in the UTM. Make it orangy brown and place it low in to the city, making a strange nassty looking fog.

Level 19
The first two wips was my first Idea, but I'm not gonna finish it, because it's too hard to make good looking. It was some sort of plugged in robot thing inside a cave with scientists around...

thats probably one of the best modern type terrain i have seen in wc3
maybe add a roof to that entrance to the left

Level 14

Edit 2: Added more detail and lightning.

Edit 3: Added even more detail and lightning.

Not very steampunk

Level 3
It had been a long time since I logged in, anyway here's my entry plus its Wips. Hope it fits in the theme. Edit : Oh ya, the reason why the smoke is so high above the pipes is because there was a lot of doodads which lagged my world editor.

Attachments

• Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip1.jpg
    Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip2.jpg
    Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip3.jpg
    Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip3.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip4.jpg
    Terrain 5 - Steampunk Wip4.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Terrain 5 - Steampunk Final.jpg
    Terrain 5 - Steampunk Final.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 192
Level 3
That's mainly because I was inspired by Cobra's terrain, since you too used the same picture as a source, that's the reason for the similarity. I was more of inspired from FF's mako reactors. As for the spammed city, making city ain't my forte.

Well let's be honest, oziris, you aren't exactly very saint-like in that respect at all, in fact, I think that I'd rather have real impact making things that look LIKE a thing instead of you simply copying and pasting. Just saying.

Another note, the whole train tracks on the archways etc. thing is just to be expected in the contest. With this theme, it's extremely difficult to accuse anyone of making things that look alike, because, well, a lot of the inspiration pictures are just similar, and the ideas are often extremely similar.
Nowwww, imo, get rid of the zepps, they look a bit out of place. The train looks very high-tech, I'd change it with some steam wagons or so. Other than that, IMO, you hit spot-on with the whole steampunk theme, though the front of the screen is a bit boring and bad looking, IMO, make some kinda foreground, such as a half-cut down forest or so, or something else, but don't just leave it half-blank like that. Also, the trees inside the screen aren't exactly super looking, but acceptable. Good job over all.

Level 19
It had been a long time since I logged in, anyway here's my entry plus its Wips. Hope it fits in the theme. Edit : Oh ya, the reason why the smoke is so high above the pipes is because there was a lot of doodads which lagged my world editor.

tint down the rocks from that archway thing

Status
Not open for further replies.