• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
2akhic6.png

Steampunk
Steampunk is the intersection of technology and romance. It's a genre of fiction, an aesthetic, a musical style, and a burgeoning sub-culture which delights in making things that are a blend of the modern and anachronistic.

In order to win this contest you must put your creativity to the max and develop the ultimate steampunk terrain.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  • Imported resources are allowed as long as they come from:

- The UTM
    - The contest sanctioned model list
    - www.hiveworkshop.com
    - www.wc3c.net

If some one runs into a really kickass steampunk resource from another website, or makes one himself, the judges will have to approve the resource.
    If the judges have approved the resource, a download link will be added to the first post so everyone will be able and allowed to use it.
  • One WiP is required.
  • Your final entry, along with any WiPs you have posted must be attached to one post.
  • The standard Terrain Contest rules also apply.
  • Your terrain must follow the theme.

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 35 reputation points and a specialicious award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • Judges:
    - (Belgarath)
    - (raid1000)
    -
  • Judging Criteria:

Creativity
    The creativity displayed in your terrain./15 pts.

Detail
    The detail of the terrain. Impurities in the detail are rough edges, floating trees etc. /15 pts.

Technique
    How advanced are the techniques and tricks you have used, and how well have you executed them?/15 pts.

Theme
    How well is the theme used in your terrain?/15 pts.

In total your terrain can get 180 points. 60 points from each judge.
  • 100 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges
  • 0 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contestants

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, containing your WiP(s) and final submission.

You do not have to register

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • The contest shall begin on September 10 and conclude on [rainbow]8 October
    23:59 [/rainbow] (GMT)

Banner immage made by Trilogy.

Last edited:
Level 7
Oh, I didn't notice the poll. Ah well I will delete this if you guys don't like it.

Level 7
Okay, I've changed the theme to steampunk.

Thanks for the logo Trilogy, it looks great!

Level 3
Imports besides the UTM are allowed as long as they are made, or will be made available for download.

does that mean we can use any models anywhere from anysite as long as u can dl it? or we can onli use the ones from hive?

Level 7
does that mean we can use any models anywhere from anysite as long as u can dl it? or we can onli use the ones from hive?

You can use any resource as long as it is made avaiable to the public. If it is downloaded from another site you should provide a link to it.

Alright then! Steam punk it is! btw, who will be the judge?

The rules state the contest has to be hosted by a moderator; he will also appoint the judges.

Level 3
alright thanks for clearing that up lol though i agree with oziris becoz it shouldnt depend on the models i mean some are better then others and most of the other sites have ripped models.

Level 3
So I'm guessing a download link should be provided by the model-users for any exterior model they use, right?

Level 7
Okay, I guess I will change the rules to:

Imported resources are allowed as long as they come from:

- The UTM
- The contest sanctioned model list
- www.hiveworkshop.com
- www.wc3c.net

If some one runs into a really kickass steampunk resource from another website, or makes one himself, the judges will have to approve the resource.

If the judges have approved the resource, a download link will be added to the first post so everyone will be able and allowed to use it.

Level 3
That could prove as a problem, since most of the old judge-worthy terrainers left/are banned.

Level 7
We could really use Gilles or Void... it's really terrible they have left. There are still talented terrainers around such as Megafyr, but they will most probably enter the contest instead of judge... And even though raid1000 is an awesome terrain, I don't really see him judging this, don't know why:p

But well, the first priority will be to get a mod who wants to host this contest; which might be pretty tough since there is no terraining mod around.

Level 3
Only Void left >.>

We're talking the greats here. Old school.
Void and frost got banned. Gilles left. Belgarath's pretty inactive.

There are allot of talented terrainers still on the hive.

That's why it's a bummer that the best ones are gonna have to judge and lose the opportunity to participate :p

I'm so going to pwn this contest! you got to have faith, faith, faith! :)

I have faith that you'd manage to get a spot in the top three. Second at best :pal:

Level 13
We got to find out who will terrain and who wont and if there a good terrain who isn't participating in this contest then lets make them be da judges.

Level 13
I really don't care who is the judge i mostly just wish to enter in this contest since i never got to the finish the last 1 i was in.Also after this contest is settled we really got to pick a new mod.

Level 7
Okay two judges witout a poll will do.
For the love of god, no poll in this contest. Lots of inexperienced newlings will look at the first terrain and vote for it, people will try to multi-account and vote for theirselves... nah I rather not have a poll.

As long as we can get our hands on 2, maybe 3 experienced judges we will be fine.

Level 19
holy shit!
my grafix card died so i wont be doing anything special but with mah awesome terraining experience i can be a 1337 judge!!1
i said i wanted to judge this one after all since my cogs terrain that i did in the last contest fits better in this one...

Level 7
Cheers, your disability has not only given other people a chance to win this but has also provided us with our second judge ;D

Level 19
i would post the cog models that i use in the last contest if i can find them...
making a terrain of that giant spider in that movie with will smith would be awesome

Level 7
If you could find those models and post them It'd be awesome. They would be a great addition to the contest.

And if you mean that spider from ''Once upon a time in the west'', then yeah that would be epic^^

Level 7
Instead of this flaming bullshit, let's just decide this on the field of battle shall we?

Level 19
You both make yourself look bad by picking on eachother so much.
This is just a contest for VIRTUAL REPUTATION.. weehooodubdiduddldoo!!
Get over it, make your terrains for fun and just stick to the poll lol.

I'm not sure if I'm in due time issues but would like to give it a shot since I never focussed on contests before.

Level 7
[Update] I've pushed the dates ahead a few days since no mod has taken this up yet.

and just stick to the poll lol.

Polls are dying for a good reason, they suck; and I've already explained why^^

Wow, making train tracks is taking me some time, they are very complex! Is there a way to copy paste a doodad and not making it fall down when moving?

Not making doodads fall down is done by disabling Reset Fixed Object Heights (Ctrl+Shift+H). When you Copy and Paste a doodad it will reset to its initial height though.

Level 15
I'm gonna give it a try.

And,
If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, containing your WiP(s) and final submission.

You do not have to register
Is this even possible?

Wow, making train tracks is taking me some time, they are very complex! Is there a way to copy paste a doodad and not making it fall down when moving?

Is there a way of not starting before the official contest start
If raid's not in, let's see, you have more than a challenge ahead of you my boy, Keiji, Megafyr, Russian man whose name I forgot (sorry :(), anyone may pop up and beat you, you really are being extremely overconfident, especially considering your past contest results (cough)

Anyway, I'd like to see a short, maybe 3-day poll, while the judges do the judging quite quickly. The poll could just show public opinion, which does not have to considered in the judging, which brings me back: who ARE the judges now?

Status
Not open for further replies.