• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art contest #2 - Steampunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
man I'm not getting much time to work on this, taking on a bit too much at once I think. Final W.I.P until I finish the damn thing -

ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 22 15.20.jpg

lol.... I have so so much more to do -_-

i drew by hand for +3 hours, fiddled on the com for + 3 hours. right now my left eye is about to fall out because it is 1.25 am. it's worth it tho. a lot of fun i had in ages.
-------------------------
this one is the original black and white pen drawing with added smoke/steam in Fireworks
black and white.png

this one is just me experimenting on looks using shades of black and grey and red as a background
Colour.jpg

if anyone is interested...a little info
the era is about during the world war 1.
generally used as shock troops
on the left arm----an iron grip claw for general demolishing obstacles and butchering of enemy soldiers/civilian
on the right arm----an automated howitzer for antivehicular purposes
on the body----a small machinegun for weak targets
the coal is fed through the grate on the left side chest, the steam is created in the boiler on the right side chest and excess heat/smoke/steam is vented at the back
i quite like this and would like to make it in warcraft. that is if i figure out what the legs and lower body would look like
either one would be fine as an entry

Level 35
Just Spectating...its steamy enough.

Steam punk doesn't have to be boilers and pistons galore...it is also fabulously filled with clockwork and other victorian age stuff.

Think..music box, or pocket watch. Powered by a sorta primitive battery.

Level 30
i drew by hand for +3 hours, fiddled on the com for + 3 hours. right now my left eye is about to fall out because it is 1.25 am. it's worth it tho. a lot of fun i had in ages.
this one is the original black and white pen drawing with added smoke/steam in Fireworks
View attachment 36208

this one is just me experimenting on looks using shades of black and grey and red as a background
View attachment 36209

if anyone is interested...a little info
the era is about during the world war 1.
generally used as shock troops
on the left arm----an iron grip claw for general demolishing obstacles and butchering of enemy soldiers/civilian
on the right arm----an automated howitzer for antivehicular purposes
on the body----a small machinegun for weak targets
the coal is fed through the grate on the left side chest, the steam is created in the boiler on the right side chest and excess heat/smoke/steam is vented at the back
i quite like this and would like to make it in warcraft. that is if i figure out what the legs and lower body would look like
either one would be fine as an entry

I smell something and its no loser!

Level 45
For all those making their works futuristic/cyber or red/yellow that wont work.

Steampunk is steam powered objects not petrol, and to my knowledge taking up the warhammer40k orc style is petrol based/diesel punk. And steampunk is often a copper/bronze/gold colour. Red and yellow definitely isnt steampunk.

Things would be powered by steam, so that involves steam pipes/funnels/outlets and gears.

Level 35
Any colour is fine...heck..it could be a rainbow gear mech.

HOWEVER!

I will note, that Pyramid Head's entry does look a bit too much like Diesel Punk.

I would suggest that for this sort of artpiece, seeing as it is inspired by WW1 vehicles. Use more traditional steam powered methods, more gears, more clock work, more pistons. This looks too modern I am afraid.

And though it is impressive, and quite well done. Its not steam punkesque.

There may be a contest for this sort of style at a later date. But for now, lets dig a little older shall we ^_^ your skills could create a winner I think.

Any colour is fine...heck..it could be a rainbow gear mech.

HOWEVER!

I will note, that Pyramid Head's entry does look a bit too much like Diesel Punk.

I would suggest that for this sort of artpiece, seeing as it is inspired by WW1 vehicles. Use more traditional steam powered methods, more gears, more clock work, more pistons. This looks too modern I am afraid.

And though it is impressive, and quite well done. Its not steam punkesque.

There may be a contest for this sort of style at a later date. But for now, lets dig a little older shall we ^_^ your skills could create a winner I think.

What wulf said applies to your entry too, you know.

Level 11
Here's a WIP of mine coming along. I'm gonna bulk up his torso bits, dunno whether I'll give him four arms, or wingiling sort of things on his back, but there'll be something like that to make him look all top heavy. The arm he's got now has a flamethrower. I've been drawing this while listening to The Prophet's Song, and so his main goal is to end all in firey steamy ruination.

EDIT: Lololol maebee I shud add pix?

Attachments

• steampunk2.jpg
    steampunk2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 246
Status
Not open for further replies.