• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #27 - Colossus\Final Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 48
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
7.png

ModelingContest_Colossus.jpg

Colossus \ Final Boss
Contestants are to create a massive, boss-type unit for a party of heroes to face in combat. Hulking Giants, ancient Dragons, unbound Elementals, deadly mechanical constructs and voracious Krakens - anything that looks like it could crush an Ogre under its heel is fair game in this competition! The idea is to supply proper gigantic, boss-level models for mapmakers so that they wouldn't have to use upscaled Warcraft III models, which tend to look bad and incredibly low-quality.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your creation must be physically big, and at the same time look high-quality enough to justify its size. Just how big your model is is entirely up to you, but it must look large in comparison to other units in the game, without necessitating the use of the Scaling Value function in the Object Editor.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • All files in their appropriate format - any textures and additional effects you might have made, as well as the model itself along with an optional portrait.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Death
    • Decay or Decay Flesh + Decay Bone and\or Dissipate (depending on the type of model you make, but at least one type of decay animation must be included)
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)

prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon.
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Participation: 5 reputation points.

NOTE: Award icons for this contest have been suspended due to insufficient entries. Reputation awards will be given out as normal.

judges.png

• Frankster
  • Nothing here yet. This could be you!
Anyone who has knowledge in the field of modeling and is deemed acceptable by the contest's host may become a judge - simply post in this thread showing your willingness to judge and you shall be evaluated.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Mesh
The geometry of the model, the wire-frame that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc? Clean, distinctive meshes graded highly; deformed or incomplete meshes graded poorly.10 Points

Textures / UV Wrap
The textures of a model, be they custom made or taken from the game, give your model character and substance. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if in-game textures were used, how well were they wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched? How clever or original is your use of in-game materials? In either case, how fitting are the textures to the game and to your concept? Clean, effective texture-work graded highly; cluttered or haphazard textures graded poorly.10 Points

Animations
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy? Are they organic or cold and robotic, and was this the intended effect? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh?
10 Points

Creativity
The general idea of your model. How original is your concept? Is it an entirely new idea, or is it a unique interpretation of an old one? What has the creator added to make the idea 'his own'? How does the concept compare to other Warcraft III units, does it fit or does it feel entirely out of place?10 Points

Mechanics
Does the model contain all required mechanics in order to make it function properly within Warcraft III? These mechanics include collision objects, sounds, footprints, spawn objects, attachment points, proper geoset animations, proper use of Decay\Dissipate animation mechanics, and other mechanics.5 Points

Effects
The implementation of various effects, ranging from particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and some 3D geometry(such as shockwave planes, glows, etc). When done right, their addition helps flesh out the model and may significantly improves its quality. When done wrong, the opposite may occur and their presence may be detrimental. In the event in which the presence of effects is deemed unnecessary, some points should be granted to avoid unfairness.5 Points
  • 60% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges.
  • 40% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

entries.png

Below is a list of entrants and their latest work-in-progress post to help hosts, judges and watchers alike keep track of the contest and the contestants' progress.

ContestantEntry NameLatest Post
stonneashUnnamed Lava WyrmConcept art.
PROXYShreddertron 3000Concept art.
-GrendelStones. Machines. Combined!Castleface!

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 28th of December, 2014 and conclude on the 1st of June, 2015, 00:01 GMT.

Last edited:
Level 26
Level 26
Just an idea, you can make the antagonist of whatever the poop I'm making and then maybe we can make an animation of them fighting for even a map where you get to be one of the two!

Well, the model has to be started within the timeframe of the contest, so I have to think about something new. Also, I really dislike animation. ;I

Level 48
What if I drew him a concept?

I'm not strictly against it, but beware that a little bit of help doesn't become full-blown teamwork. I'm really not sure what to say in this case. If other contestants don't object I don't think that would be a massive problem.

Still think about how big these model will be. i think a town hall is maybe too big for a unit.

Town Hall size sounds about right to me. I was thinking of something perhaps even larger!
There is no real need to have the unit walk, either, it could be a stationary boss as well.

@minimage
attachment.php

He fell into a lava pit, but due to how cold his body was the lava a round.uncooked down giving him a strong stone shell, but the incident burnt his wings off and now he has to walk on all fours. Slowly fire crystal grew on it's back instead of ice, and he can spit out lava from glands that replaced his saliva glands in his mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_20141229_121013.jpg
    IMG_20141229_121013.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20141229_135153.jpg
    IMG_20141229_135153.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 1,465
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Awexome! I, too, love these Modeling Contests. Even though it wasn't the one I voted for, I'm excited to see this showdown go-down!

Lots of cool options for this one... There could be a giant Quetzalcoautl, or a massive jungle Temple that unfolds into a giant Voodoo Golem ("Mojo Mountain", lol), or a giant super-Tiki-Eye-ward-totem-tower with (spoilers) floating, spinning Tiki Masks and firing mega Voodoo Lazor Beams.

Y'know, just random ideas I came up with out of nowhere... :p

Colossus \ Final Boss
Glad to see this up! Don't forget to fill in the Description for the Judging of Textures.

(and <3 to see my versions of the Description-text being used still. :p)

Dang, that looks cool. Pretty creative, using the Bat-face as this freakish Horror-Wyvern.

Night elves ancient is sufficient size.
Making a model feel colossal is more about the animations.It has to be slowish and impactful.Like when a giant make a step it make his own head shake a little.
Learn from the master, everyone.

I like concepts. ;D
I know... *sniff*... I just get so busy... x/

don't suppose im allowed to use my 5 headed hydra model.. that I started.. over.. 2 years ago.. that's still... not done yet....

something started recently, shit. gona have to start from scratch that sucks.

OH I GOT AN IDEA!!!!!!!!!

a cross between a rock giant and a reef elemental!

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/183403-albums6929-picture93279.html

this will still probably not be done in time....

Level 49
oh the good 'ol dick cannons eh? i guess my wolfsbane model finally has a friend lol

ALSO, first WIP
07072009096.jpg

stones and machinery combined. its gonna have villages. small villages. on his back. and towers on his shoulders.

Last edited:
Level 48
Glad to see this up! Don't forget to fill in the Description for the Judging of Textures.

(and <3 to see my versions of the Description-text being used still. :p)

Oh snap! Don't know how I missed that. I fixed it now.
And yeah, I mostly relied on your version, but I looked at a bunch of previous contests and their descriptions and I mixed and matched it a bit with my own text thrown in in some places.

don't suppose im allowed to use my 5 headed hydra model.. that I started.. over.. 2 years ago.. that's still... not done yet...

You are indeed not allowed to use any old material.

~~~

All of the WIPs posted so far look very promising. Keep it up, guys! :)
For the sake of avoiding clutter, I will update the Entries only with entries who have provided some sort of work-in-progress post(with images, be it concept art or actual 3D work). Which means that entries which currently only consist of text or a willingness to participate will not be listed.

Level 49
i don't like how i'm the only one posting meshes yet :/
anyways:
front view
frontEntry.jpg

sideview, showing the arm with pillars thingamajigger:
sideviewEntry.jpg

and the shoulder thing..with a tower and a building with tree and bushes:
armtowerEntry.jpg

there's gonna be some sorta village and large crystal formations on his back after i'm done thinking wtf to do about his head.

Level 48
Now I'm kind of getting concerned about his main body texture not being detailed enough. Did you consider simply scaling up the UV Wrap beyond the limits of the texture, thusly duplicating it? This will only work with a texture which is uniform, and I'm assuming you're using some sort of building texture which wouldn't really work.

Level 49
Now I'm kind of getting concerned about his main body texture not being detailed enough. Did you consider simply scaling up the UV Wrap beyond the limits of the texture, thusly duplicating it? This will only work with a texture which is uniform, and I'm assuming you're using some sort of building texture which wouldn't really work.

i have been thinking about that too. i'm using the night elf altar texture which has the stones look stretched. though i'm thinking of something to fix this up (which is wrapping single pieces of the mesh to individual parts of the altar texture, what i said is pretty senseless but you'll see what i'm talking about when i get to it)
i'm also considering using tile textures for his body in case the plan i have don't work.

anyways, while i'm still trying to think about that, some pics again. right arm will be some kind of rock formation with crystalline protrusions.
armtowerEntry.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.