• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #18 - Aberrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
competition.png
number.png
1.png
8.png

140223-albums1517-picture38155.jpg

Contest Theme : Aberrations
Contestants are to create a model of an aberration.

Aberration (Dungeons & Dragons)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, aberration is a type of creature, or "creature type". Aberrations generally all have bizarre anatomies, strange abilities, alien mindsets, or any combination thereof.
The entry does not require to stick to DnD lore to qualify. In fact, not ANY lore. Any monster/unit that is "frightening and misshapen" or anything that is nightmarish.
  • Please steer clear from making cliched monsters such as simple vampires or zombies or fishmen as they are not aberrations. Nor will you get good points for creativity.
  • Zombies or zombies that have been sewn together(like an abomination in wc) counts as undead and a construct, respectively.
  • Machines and robots are considered as constructs because they have been created by someone. However, this does not mean you cannot have metal parts incorporated in the model.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Misha
  • Anarchianbedlam
  • Lord_T
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Mesh
How well the vertices and faces have been utilised /15

Animation
The quality of the animation or how well an existing Warcraft animations have been used/10

Skin/Texture
The quality of the texture or how well an existing Warcraft texture have been used/10

Mechanics
How well does the model function in-game/5

Effects
Special effects used on the model, namely particle emitters and event objects/5

Creativity
How creative is your model?/5
  • 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 22nd November 2010 and conclude on 11:59pm 14th January 2011 GMT only if there are at least 3 completed entries by that date.

Level 28
..devil's tadpole?

I call it Spawn. It's somewhat like a tadpoleish creature that due to genetic alterations stopped evolving and just grew. With the years and generations it also eventually developed mutations in order to survive in the harsh nature. The only flaw still obtained from the incomplete childhood are the extremely shallow veins (white spots) across it's body.

I call it Spawn. It's somewhat like a tadpoleish creature that due to genetic alterations stopped evolving and just grew. With the years and generations it also eventually developed mutations in order to survive in the harsh nature. The only flaw still obtained from the incomplete childhood are the extremely shallow veins (white spots) across it's body.

this suuure could have a lill more awesome name :p

Level 9
Because I have no response to my question I have decided to just ask to be signed up for Judging

Be Warned: I have never Judged before and may not be able to so please alert me with a Private Message of what this may include me to do and I would be most grateful.
~Rpgman509

Level 13
So what are the judging requirements anyway? Do you have to prove your modeling skills first? Do you have to be an older member...?

Because I have no response to my question I have decided to just ask to be signed up for Judging

Be Warned: I have never Judged before and may not be able to so please alert me with a Private Message of what this may include me to do and I would be most grateful.
~Rpgman509

short answer : no

long answer : no because i have no idea what your capability as a critic is. I dont know what you do or what your mental maturity is

So what are the judging requirements anyway? Do you have to prove your modeling skills first? Do you have to be an older member...?

it consists of the host(me) trusting you to not screw things up. "screwing things up" consists of things like giving me crappy judging, giving me the scores really really late and not knowing what you are talking about.

Rpgman509 falls under the "giving me crappy judging". its not that i dont like you, it is because your judging will most likely end up like "omg awesome model doooood. really cool. 5/5" for all of the models. which doesnt really help.
which just means i have to find another judge
which means more waiting and more people nagging me for results which i dont have
which in the end leaves everyone angry

the current concept art contest conundrum is a good example

Last edited:
Level 26
why does everyone want to be a judge nowadays. It's not that it's fun:/
At the end the judge will be flamed for not letting person x win and everyone else hates them because they need ages to do their job :>

Oh and my model will be an homage to Anima, the greatest summon ever created <3

Level 9
Guys. For the love of monkeys in special sauce. You can NOT judge unless you are a known modeler in the community. If you don't have some decent models in the model section, and if you have not proven your mental maturity:

YOU CAN NOT JUDGE.

We really need a sticky thread with this in it.

my bad, i didnt even know

Level 13
Guys. For the love of monkeys in special sauce. You can NOT judge unless you are a known modeler in the community. If you don't have some decent models in the model section, and if you have not proven your mental maturity:

YOU CAN NOT JUDGE.

We really need a sticky thread with this in it.

Sorry, I never even wanted to be a judge, I was just asking a reasonable question...

Level 13
Sorry if I sounded harsh but we've been having a lot of people ask lately. Not just in the model contests. The other contests as well...

I understand, its fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.