• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #27 - Colossus\Final Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that is the point, it is simple :|

but the more we talk about it the more it seems like it isn't :v

btw... a few ideas for what i might do...

165527-albums6053-picture93524.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93525.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93526.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93527.jpg

although i'm inclined to do the female glutton beast thing, i'd like to do a weird insect kind of thing as 2 :v

uuu.. definitely either 2 or 3b :3

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
kellym0 said:
OH I GOT AN IDEA!!!!!!!!!

a cross between a rock giant and a reef elemental!

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...contest-27-colossus-260912/m...ture93279.html

this will still probably not be done in time....
Nonsense! Positive-thinking, man! Besides, that sounds like a schweet idea. Reminds me of a similar attempt from Retera... Anyway, a "Coral Colossus" would be very cool; like a Sunken Ruins-zone come to life. : )

PROXY said:
Beware of the great Shreddertron 3000.

The arms are off, but the basic idea can be seen quite good. It's piloted by a goblin.
Ooooooohhh.... Finally, someone making a decent, legitimate, super-Shredder model (dare I say, Hero-ized?). We are gonna have to talk. >: )

Those boots are a good start. I imagine (given the requisite 'epic-ness' of these models) that those skulls are actually full-size dragon skulls? >: )
-Grendel said:
~all the win~
STAHP

Im making a wyvern that uses he bones of its victims as armor becuase its skin is so soft and without all the bones, its defenseless.

1. Dragon turtlish texture with a skull helmet
attachment.php

2. Changed the texture, added the rest of the mesh, il be tweaking the texture soon this is just temporary.
attachment.php
Ooh, I like that (thematically); reminds me of the "BoneKnapper" from How To Train Your Dragon. Excellent.

yeah, that is the point, it is simple :|

but the more we talk about it the more it seems like it isn't :v

btw... a few ideas for what i might do...

165527-albums6053-picture93524.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93525.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93526.jpg
165527-albums6053-picture93527.jpg

although i'm inclined to do the female glutton beast thing, i'd like to do a weird insect kind of thing as 2 :v
While I'm not a fan of massively-endowed Jabba women, I can't say that I agree with everyone else about the bug-thing fitting... Just seems really "B-movie" to have a giant bug.
So I like the bottom two best, I s'pose.

Decided to join in, with what I'm calling Amonrath the Unbound, a corrupted Demon Warlord.

I intend to make Amonrath more of a Raid Boss style character, with plenty of flair in his attacks.
Ah, neat. Lookin' cool.

I particularly like the sword; reminds me of Ganondorf's epic COMPLETELY UNUSED & UNDERUTILIZED greatsword.

My grandma draws better than you.
your post is completely pointless and your grandma must be good with ms paint
Decided to keep working on Amonrath. Just about to start animating. Hopefully I won't have to do anymore back-tracking.

188037-albums7365-picture93597.png

188037-albums7365-picture93639.png

188037-albums7365-picture93640.png
looks pretty cool... me likey

i'm just unsure about the shape of that helmet. kinda too squarish :v

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Through my days of inactiveness, I've done some things on my entry, still the Iron Juggernaught

WIP
229030-albums6416-picture93635.jpg
WIP
229030-albums6416-picture93636.jpg
WIP
229030-albums6416-picture93637.jpg
WIP
229030-albums6416-picture93638.jpg
Hey, good to see you around. So far it's interesting (though hard to tell so early on). I like the sound of a "Juggernaut", though; that and "Dreadnought" should be highly-prized names 'round here. : )

Decided to keep working on Amonrath. Just about to start animating. Hopefully I won't have to do anymore back-tracking.

188037-albums7365-picture93597.png

188037-albums7365-picture93639.png

188037-albums7365-picture93640.png
lol his scar is on the wrong side suxxors
Lookin' good; I rather like that sword, as well as the 'duality' of it (looks like "normal demon" & "super-mecha-demon" :p). I'm a little confused as to where his eye-holes would be. But good wrapping, definitely.

You should consider sketching some buildings/people in on those WIP screenies, so as to lend a sense of scale.

Also, unrelated to the model, but nice name choice; combining "Amon" with "Rath" lends both that hierarchical & deific Egyptian air with the homophonic "wrath" lending to anger. Coolio.

I was hoping to see colossal units in this contest as shadow of the colossus colossal not ancient size colossal :/
well, that's a shame for you then... :|

ancients are enough to me. if you make a model too enormously huge in wc3 it might look like shit, with the way units walk and the turning speed and all.. (those units generally follow motion techniques so their walk anims happen foot by foot and don't look sloppy or out of context)

maybe there's a way to make them look right anyway, being very precise with the timing and all, but the way it will turn around while walking will always suck a little bit...

anyhow... if anyone goes for that kind of thing it can always be shrinked down in case it works bad

well, that's a shame for you then... :|

ancients are enough to me. if you make a model too enormously huge in wc3 it might look like shit, with the way units walk and the turning speed and all.. (those units generally follow motion techniques so their walk anims happen foot by foot and don't look sloppy or out of context)

maybe there's a way to make them look right anyway, being very precise with the timing and all, but the way it will turn around while walking will always suck a little bit...

anyhow... if anyone goes for that kind of thing it can always be shrinked down in case it works bad

It doesn't need to walk btw

Edit: wips below!

Attachments

• wip1.png
    wip1.png
    160.7 KB · Views: 128
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 162
  • wip3.png
    wip3.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Level 14
The problem if it is too big/small is, that it will have to be scaled down/up, if it has to be scaled down/up a lot it will mess with the model's special effects. Additionally if it is too big it will hide stuff that are behind it like smaller units, in game special effects won't look good on it since they will be too small. I was thinking of going for something like 1.5 to 1.8 tree of life size.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The problem if it is too big/small is, that it will have to be scaled down/up, if it has to be scaled down/up a lot it will mess with the model's special effects. Additionally if it is too big it will hide stuff that are behind it like smaller units, in game special effects won't look good on it since they will be too small. I was thinking of going for something like 1.5 to 1.8 tree of life size.
That's true. I think the idea is to make it naturally large, so it doesn't need scaling.

About the "hiding stuff"... I suppose that's kinda the point. : ) This is meant to be sort of a "super-mega-final-boss" Contest, a "colossus" Contest; this thing should appear once and tower over everything and be nearly impossible to defeat. So hiding units is kinda part of the game, IMO. : )

That's true. I think the idea is to make it naturally large, so it doesn't need scaling.
doing the opposite might be a better idea. if you scale your model in WE the special effects are scaled along... if your model is too huge so that it doesn't need scaling, special effects might end up invisible or "inside" the model, because they'll be too tiny. i.e. bloodlust might hide inside the colossus' hands..

i think what is best is doing your model big as an ancient, maybe not much bigger than the mountain giant, and give it the 'large' animation tag. then scale it up in WE if you want, so the special effects will scale along and look proportional. (depending on the effect this isn't desirable)

or you can always add another animation tag to it and give all the effects you'll use custom models with that animation name.

doing the opposite might be a better idea. if you scale your model in WE the special effects are scaled along... if your model is too huge so that it doesn't need scaling, special effects might end up invisible or "inside" the model, because they'll be too tiny. i.e. bloodlust might hide inside the colossus' hands..

i think what is best is doing your model big as an ancient, maybe not much bigger than the mountain giant, and give it the 'large' animation tag. then scale it up in WE if you want, so the special effects will scale along and look proportional. (depending on the effect this isn't desirable)

or you can always add another animation tag to it and give all the effects you'll use custom models with that animation name.

in 3ds max using neodex, you can scale up the attachment point and it will make the attachments larger ingame (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.