1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    That's why I do not expect to have my request answered, but I certainly hope for it :)

With that said, I must say that my request is a little more than just a peon with new anims and hero-glow, not much different from that, but I ask for a remarkable change in the model's design, with new clothes, bigger shoulder pads and a bigger war-pickaxe, and several other things.

However, yes you are right, that's a way of hero-fying a peon unit, without changing it's theme at all. And I understand that few, perhaps none want to do that, but hoping is always allowed :)
    If anyone is interested, I provided a concept art for what I'm looking for
    [​IMG]

2. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm actually in the mood to make an orc. But not a peon. Peons are boring. I'm going to make a gigantic muscle monster with an axe and dub it "The Overlord". Because reasons. Hmm.. Amargaard, your avatar makes me almost want to add black sunglasses to my orc. ;P

Gah, wanna work on it now. ;c

3. Amargaard

Amargaard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In that case, you could also make something like this MiniMage - a herofied version of my herofied peon, heh. Yes it's actually the same dude, but after many adventures in a campaign project of mine, where he turns pretty hardcore at the end x)
    Look at the resemblence - his staff-weapon even shares resemblence with the pickaxe :D
    Another concept art:
    [​IMG]

4. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hero the herofied, eh? Not my style. My idea is essentially this. http://file5.ratemyserver.net/mobs/1190.gif An orc looking similar to this, with an huge double axe. This would thus be the upgraded form of a Orc Grunt or Orc Chaos Grunt.. Or both, I could always use alternate anims.

5. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    So many possibilites to doo... so... hard... to.. decide...

6. Sunchips

Sunchips

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I will not enter the contest but I can't wait to see all the contributions!

7. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Sounds like an interesting contest, i vote for approval! :)

8. Kaizer

Kaizer

Resources:
    Resources:
    can we edit existing warcraft models or we have to start from scratch?
    are hero glows required?

oh man, I think I'll have a problem on creating a dissipate animation for a unit

9. JokeMaster

JokeMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    God dammit kyrbi you even found my predators :D
    I seriously need to rework them...

Hmm someone could make a random picking mechanism for undecided people which would choose an unit they should rework.

10. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, it would be easier (for anyone) to edit using existing in-game models and work their way from there... But that's your call, either you can play safe OR test your modeling skill by making one from scratch... And the 'Hero Glow' is like the 'must have feature' for all Warcraft heroes...

That's quite easy... You can edit the 'Decay Flesh' animation and set it to levitate upward instead of sinking into the ground... The animation is a little crude but that's the fastest way to do it using Notepad... Oh, and remember to shorten the animation time (greatly) while at it...

11. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm making a dilapidated grotesque mad scientist undead necromancer. I just finished up drawing out several concepts for it.

Also, I think I have to vote for approval.
    I vote for approval!

12. JB_McKnight

JB_McKnight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I am very much interested to join this contest, HOWEVER, I am in no state to participate. I have my Pre-lims within a week and must really need to study.

I vote for approval!

Goodluck to any interested participants!

13. WhiteDeath

WhiteDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think that I will join, don't know if I will have enough time to participate but I will do my best.
    Noticed that there is some sort of approval voting so I also vote for approval.

14. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah!!!
    It's ON, but can someone please set the DATES in the first post...?
    Count me in as a contestant... I got a few 'Creep Hero(es)' in mind...

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeeeeaaah!

You can edit existing models, geomerge with chunks of existing models & reskin them, or create your own fully custom scratch model & texture & animation. It's in the instructions. :p The better you make it, though, the more the crowd & judges will like it.

Hero Glow, like Wandering Soul said, is pretty much a requirement of Wc3 Heroes. Remember that they aren't just at the Origin, but there's also a small glow around the Weapon and usually one around the Chest or something.

Dissipate is actually surprisingly easy; like he also said, you can just edit the .mdl in Notepad, basically "reversing" & slowing down the Decay anim. Just make it go impossibly high, really slowly.
    (technically, if you can, the limbs of the Hero will droop down with gravity, which won't happen with this method, but it's a decent work-around until you can do that)

Actually, funny you should mention that... Me and Deolrin debated the idea of having it be an "Optionally Paired" contest (as Anarchianbedlam has done once before). He seemed to think it wouldn't be a good idea. However, if there are enough people that could benefit from it, perhaps?

Of course. We should always keep hope alive.

Seriously? If you or anyone are really not sure as to what to do, just give me a call. I will literally [rainbow]drown [/rainbow] you in ideas. :p

Or at least, moisten you a little bit. With ideas, that is. xD

===
    ===
    ===

Don't worry about "voting for approval" everyone. It was never necessary in the first place. Besides,

[rainbow]It's ON!!![/rainbow]

Looking forward to all this creativity.

16. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    don't start modeling until the contest begins. Everybody should start at the same time.

Btw we need a second judge, any volunteers that fit the qualifications?

17. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So, does this mean it's officially started?
    Btw blinky, I didn't start modeling. I was just saying what I was making. I won't start until the contest is officially on.

18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I believe it is, since Pharaoh moved it to the "Arena" forum, and put up an announcement for it (as well as changing my photo)...

Right?

Andrew & Stonneash have both offered. I don't know what process determines this, to be honest. Who's in charge? I can still [edit] my original/first post, so I suppose I am... hahaha. :p

NO. You can't judge, because you have to enter!! :p

(j/k, if you really don't want to join you need not).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  19. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hmm. Well, since the contest was officially started, I began working. Hell, even managed to get me a decent WIP.
    [​IMG]

It's a reskinned Mountain Giant with an Orc head and an axe. Also, I know this isn't a "mage-y" kind of model.

But meh, I was a orc fan before I became a goblin fanatic. Besides, if I were to make a goblin, I wouldn't be able to finish on time.
    I tend to work and rework those models for months. Gonna tweak this more and make a more threatening helmet.

Oh and I'll need to finish the texturing on the armor. Then the tedious fixing with anims begin.

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    NOTICE - I've added even more examples to the second post's "image-heavy table". Will be adding more (not that anyone needs it anymore... It's just fun! :p)

"Decent"? I dunno, maybe it's "First-WIP-itis", but I really rather like it.

And don't take my witticisms seriously. I'm just messing around, trying to find some creative play-on-words for your name & the post you make. Since your name is "MiniMage", but your making a non-Mini, non-Mage... Well, it just flowed. :p

Mountain Giant-base equals one burly Orc. Hope that translates well in-game. Excited to see the rest, though.