• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I'm thinking I may do stuff for this contest if/when I have time!

Out of curiosity, what types of software do you guys use to make the stuff you make? Being a "I'll take this base wc3 model and mash it on that one there and then swirl them together" modeller myself, I feel a bit amazed by people like A.R. who can poof a sketch into a fully developed model.

Huh... Maybe I ought to look into that.

Anyway, I was playing around with some Retera-style model-fusion, and I made this monstrosity of a thing:
attachment.php

Although... I think I broke its attack animation so it looks dumb, and there's other stuff I ought to fix and change probably.
Also it still has the head of the Royal Guard, for better or for worse.

But I really wanted to try to the idea of a hydra of Tidal Guardians; it sounded like fun.

Attachments

• KrakenHero.png
    KrakenHero.png
    656.5 KB · Views: 1,006

Anyway, I was playing around with some Retera-style model-fusion, and I made this monstrosity of a thing:
attachment.php

Although... I think I broke its attack animation so it looks dumb, and there's other stuff I ought to fix and change probably.

But I really wanted to try to the idea of a hydra of Tidal Guardians; it sounded like fun.
Looks nice, maybe you should add extra fins on it and maybe some diffrent texture, like a naga texture.

Lets see if I can finish this time. Im not sure about the helmet/tiara but I kind of like how it looks. Wanted to do a cryptlord, wanted a stag beetle but decided on a siren at the end.

Good luck, nice concept.
Edit: if she have 4 hands she needs for breasts, because the chest muscle is under the breast so there should be 4 breast if you want 4 functional arms, just a thought.

Am not sure if am going to finish my model, coz am really bad at extracting animations from 3ds max or even animating in 3ds max, but I'll be posting my entry anyways, I got to try at least.
My Entry is a heroic version of the Orc Tauren Minotaur, Which I would like to call the Tauren Champion.
WIPs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Use Bipeds, they'll make animating easier.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Crap in a hat, it's Jigrael :D
Concept looks awesome, man. Can't wait to see the finished product :>

SuPa: That is damn fine work. If you're looking for more Hero-features, you can't go wrong with extra heads >:D

Retera: Nice, I'd always wanted to see someone do something with the Tidal Guardian (or even Sea Turtle) skins as a Naga/Hydra thing. Oh yeah, since you asked, I use 3DSMax 2011 for modeling and Photoshop CS4 for texturing (with Mudbox for the rough layout),

I haven't got much more to show at the moment - Stand, Walk and Attack animations are unfinished but more-or-less working. Would have been at this stage yesterday but I mirrored half the bones and... well, you know the rest :p

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm in, here's my first WIP:
209577-albums5234-picture72770.png
Looking good!

attachment.php

AMAGAD looks epic!

The skin colors of Tidal Guardians and Royal Guards don't quite fit in each other, even though I like the skin color and patterns of the Royal Guard over the Myrmidon, despite the latter probably fitting better.

The lack of coherence between the roughness of Tidal Guardian scales and the smoothness of Royal Guard skin is also bugging me a little.

Lets see if I can finish this time. Im not sure about the helmet/tiara but I kind of like how it looks. Wanted to do a cryptlord, wanted a stag beetle but decided on a siren at the end.
I like the helmet, it will do great in distinguishing it from the existing siren.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
My apologies in advance; lots to catch up on. Please check to make sure; I have attempted to respond to each and every one.

(Hint: Open the "Hidden" block first)

Maybe final but I guess I'll have to do more with it.
Alright, definitely seeing a lot of good edits. I'm kinda curious, though, where he got a Frost Wyrm skull, Revenant shield, and Warlock staff. Seems interesting, but perhaps a little hodge-podge. Also, he appears to be nearly the same size as the original Bandit.

Try to seek for an idea that doesn't involve merely taking a bash mesh and geomerging various "heroic accoutrements". It's certainly one way to go, but perhaps not the best.

A perfect example is Garithos, the Grand Marshal / Dark Knight. That's probably one of the better in-game examples of a Hero to a group of Bandits; nice, fancy warhorse w/ custom baby-seal-leather boots black armor, nasty-huge war-axe, big winged helmet, and rough stubble. He's a more "heroic" bandit-dude.

The nice thing about Bandits is that you have a whole ton of directions to take them. The 'leader' or 'champion' of a group of bandits could be a "dark knight" (like Garithos, above), or a "dark wizard" (like an evil Antonidas, or corrupted Jaina), or a "dark assassin" (like a Human Warden), or a Kingpin-esque "dark merchant-lord" with shady underground connections... Ooh, that last one is actually pretty cool.

Thoughts?

IDK myself. The other day I came upon this so I tried to make a snow wolf but I couldn't find a good in-game texture(I want to stay in-game as much as possible).

What's better in your opinion; a heightened mane or not?
I don't think it's a matter of "heightened mane" or not, so much (for the record, I'd say "not that much", though). I'm sure you had more planned, because the mane is the least of your worries. To be honest, I'm a little biased; one of my favorite 'unit-to-hero' conversions is WhiteDeath's Werewolf, so I'm already implicitly judging what you've got based on that. As you can see, he took the "wolf" idea and enhanced it; bipedal, massive paws w/ sharp claws, big ruffley mane and powerful muscles, different snout/face, and cool runic arms.

So you'll be wanting to find ways to make more drastic and heroic changes to the base mesh (or starting from some scratch).

~

Now, you appear at this point to have moved on to another idea. That's cool, too. Let me know if you need any ideas.

May I present to you my 3rd
128181d1375707535-modelling-contest-25-ascension-img_0618.png

I experimented with the weapon and I don't think that'll be the final
Alright, getting much better.

One thing; while I love the unique weapon, I have to admit that it's overly gargantuan, even for Wc3 standards. Maybe half that size?

I like a lot of the armor & nurnies you're giving this guy. I agree with Deolrin, though, that he needs a few more things to really make him a "Hero". That was the point I was trying to make earlier; that merely taking a unit, sticking on some armor/different weapon/etc and then adding Hero Glow isn't really what was meant by this contest. It's harder to describe (see earlier walls-o-text to MiniMage and others), but definitely cooler overall.

Perhaps (like he said) changing the face/head, and some animations, could help.

Keep it up!

Finally my PCs ready to work, still can join the contest so happy :D, here's my 1st WIP, human race, should be a Sphinx Rider

attachment.php
Interesting. My first thought was "manticore". Looks cool, but perhaps a little cluttered. Will need some more viewpoints & maybe some WIP textures to be able to tell, though.

I'm interested that no one has yet done a Flying hero... Just because there are none in-game (and probably for good reason, *cough* OH *cough*), there are plenty of flying units to use as a base, and this is merely a modelling contest.

Anyway, just out of curiosity; what unit are you using as a base? The Gryphon Rider? I'm pretty sure there aren't any Sphinxi in Wc3 (that is, unless you're really pulling a twist and making a Human-version of the Undead Destroyer... :p)

Keep it up!

Am not sure if am going to finish my model, coz am really bad at extracting animations from 3ds max or even animating in 3ds max, but I'll be posting my entry anyways, I got to try at least.
My Entry is a heroic version of the Orc Tauren Minotaur, Which I would like to call the Tauren Champion.
WIPs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Y'know, I'm glad you're not a judge. I'm actually kinda excited by this one.

Tauren are by no means my favorite race, but they're cool and all, and Ominous Horizons (see sig) had a love affair with them, so I know of a lot of good modding ideas for them. This guy is like a carbon-copy of the really cool "Champion" idea they had going, as the Tier3-Heavy-Melee/Ownage Device of the Tauren race.

While it's obvious the Tauren is used as a base, many changes have been made that help give it a unique flair (weapons, shield-back, armor); not the least of which is his pose. I think people underestimate how important it is to change the pose/anims of the model they use.

However, the big problem I see with this model is as I described above & explained to others (MiniMage among them); you will have to work hard to make sure he doesn't appear as a "T3 Heavy Melee" instead of a true Hero.

One of the biggest things (aside from good anims; perhaps Beastmaster for dual-wielding?) is to change the face. Maybe some cool chops, or a beard, different horns, different snout, different/no nose-ring... Etc.

Really looking forward to this. (if nothing else, you can release this model as a solid T3 Tauren-unit.)

P.S. You seriously chose a Tauren as your entry? I am so excited. Now, no matter how many WIPs you post, it is literally impossible for me to run out of material for good puns. Thank you. xD

Alright, here comes the first work in progress picture of the entire mesh combined.

The current triangle count is approximately 2.3k.

So, without further ado, I present to you the Spore Cadaver!

LyI0DUc.jpg

S0n2A8E.jpg

So, what is this thing? A heroified version of the necromancer. I won't reveal all of his lore right now, but basically his job is to

A) Infect as many living things as possible with the plague.
B) Raise masses of undead.

A type of scourge specifically meant to expand the scourge's army.

The little cages on his staff have small planes in them. These planes will be textured with a billboarded mushroom, and hopefully emit spore particle effects. As the spore cadaver walks around, the mushrooms move around, releasing spores into the wind that will take root and spread the plague. The mushrooms are based off the gigantic mushrooms in the world of warcraft area plaguewood.

Next on the to do list is add scraps of clothing and see if I can bring down the triangle count.
After that I will begin texturing and adding particles/hero glow.
And then finally (and what I am looking forward to the most) is animation. A mix of jerky zombie movements and sweeping necrotic motions such as raising the undead and casting foul spells should be quite fun to both animate and look at.

Thoughts?

~~~

Alright, here is the last WIP of the mesh before I unwrap it and start texturing.
I changed the right hand into a mushroom, and reduced the triangle count by about 400.

ncNqEUC.jpg

Dfb5DpJ.jpg

Hum.

Well for one, I applaud some serious creativity. I rather disliked the UD's lack of "plague" heroes, and making a super-necromancer is a great way to start. Moreover, the unique twist of having fungus & spores gives him a nice Thematic flair (might be hard to pull off in Wc3, but sounds good on paper).
(Note: a "cadaver" is technically just a dead body, esp. as used for dissection & anatomy classes. You probably knew that, but it's just a bit misleading of a name)

My major concern with the mesh as it stands are kinda hard to explain, but I'll do what I can... It just doesn't seem very... "Warcraft-y". Like, it might be the way you model; it might be the way everything was all 'smoothed out' in your WIP images, it might be the detail, it might be all or none of those things. But suffice it to say, while your artistry is great and well-evident, it is lacking in terms of "fitting in Wc3". It actually rather reminds me of an entry in a previous Hero contest (xXm0opH3usXx's Hero #3 Entry). Great model, but somehow not very Warcraft-like.

Now, that being said. Perhaps things will change when you throw a texture & some animations on there. I don't know. However, I'm going to say that I can definitely tell that the staff is too detailed. Those little spikes will barely show up, and the lanterns have so much detail for something so far away. In fact, maybe that's part of the problem; compared to the "polygonal mesh WIPs" (name I just made up) of the other contestants, yours is incredibly high in polies/tris/whatever. It's just so smooth, which is unnatural for Wc3.

Anyway. I really like the idea, like I said, and I'm interested to see how you pull it off. I just wanted to get that out there.

(one idea I just had... his back seems rather empty. Perhaps instead of the boring old "cloth cloak", you could make a series of overlapping "shelf fungus", like on a tree, climbing down his back, in sort of a "mushroom cloak". Just a thought)

I finished the mesh, now I have to take care of the animations. I hate that part so tedious.
Aw man, you did not fail to disappoint. I love the face (where did you get that); the sideburns/goatee/hair really help make him look unique, not just another "GRUNT HEAD COPY/PASTE". The wolf-fur garments really look cool, esp. the wolf head (though killing wolves if your all attuned with them seems counter-intuitive...) The scars are neat, but a little hard to notice; perhaps if you had 2-3 in a row next to each other in one spot to simulate a row of raking claws, it might be more clear. Good use of Team Color, nice bulky frame... *sigh*

Don't give up, man. Your animations have historically been great, so don't worry.

I scrapped the idea with the troll, too basic, seen too often and just couldn't get satisfied with the body mesh.

Gonna try myself on the spellbreaker.
*tear* Make sure to keep that Troll... Might have a use for a Jungle version. :p

Spellbreaker is a pretty cool way to go. Lots of solid directions for that. You can do a gender-swap & emphasize the anti-magic like in Deolrin's "Elven Mage Huntress" (see Second Post)... You can emphasize the heavy armor & noble feel with an "Elite Sunwell Guardian" sorta deal... You can take the "Control Magic" part and make a "Magical Puppeteer", or the "Spell Steal" part and do an "Elven Trickster/Prestidigitator", or the Spell Immunity and make an "Elven Archon"... *sigh* So much. Look forward to it.

I'm in, here's my first WIP:
209577-albums5234-picture72770.png
Alright, more contestants! This is getting a lot of attention; I'm pleased. :p

Now, it's definitely early, but I like the direction you're taking. Often-overlooked, but cool, Campaign unit (Orc Warlock), and certainly got some good looks going on so far. I like the face (what is it exactly?), the build looks good (if a bit bulky for a wizened old 'demonologist'), and is that a cape I spy?

Looking forward to more.

Here's an update on the texture, getting very close to finishing it.
HeroAbominationSS3_zpsd9bc1fe4.jpg

~~~

I just finished the texture on mine, here's a view in sketchfab.
Wow. Just, wow. I was kinda hoping you'd come outta the woodwork for this, and I was not disappointed. Quite an interesting take on an old classic (and a great attempt to relive Beta Wc3 in all it's glory :p).

I have to admit, though, despite the excellent custom mesh & texture, and the unique additions of "chained hook-arm" and armor & gut-mouth-hole... Just seems like a slightly modified, super-Abomination. Not exactly a "Heroic" Abomination ("Grotesque"? "Franken-dude"?). It's even harder to describe for yours (since you've done what I've suggested others do, for the most part). Below is some... art? I think it's actually an Ultralisk + Abomination, but that spiky back-plate would be cool IMO.

http://www.playdota.com/img/art/325160/fanart/f1289464179.jpg

More than that... I dunno. A.R. seems to be onto something though; Two Heads could really go a long way towards making this guy seem like 'something special'; sorta a tie-in to the Ogre Magi.

Thoughts?

(Also, I can't seem to access your "sketchfab" website or model or whatever. Post pics?)

Haha, silly comic book super-hero was pretty much what I was going for :p
Pretty much a '90s Jean Grey/'80s Starfire mashup.

Texture's more-or-less done but I'll definitely be going over it a few times, refining colours, improving the composition and whatnot.

EDIT: Derp, helps if I actually attach the image :p

~~~

Think I'm just about done with the mesh, got it unwrapped and ready for texturing. Currently sitting on 722 triangles, woo!

EDIT: ermagherd merdberks screenshert
Amazing! I'm in love. Once again, the ability to take a simple mental idea, turn it into 2D concept art, then flesh that into 3D model art... Man, just amazing.

It seems you've really expounded on the original quite impressively. I love the long drapes drape-y arm-sleeves & hair (though I'm hoping for the characteristic curl in the latter). And is that a ":p" and an "AR" I spy on the sleeve? Hilarious.

I've gotta ask... What exactly do you have in mind for this character? I mean, in terms of "Role", or name. Is she just "Uber Sorceress"? "Archmaiden"? "Illusionist"? "Astral FireMcMage-erson"? :p

AnemicRoyalty said:
I had a quick peek at it the other day for the first time in forever and yeah, it still needs lots of work. It's on my To-Do List, honest! Just gotta build up some steam for modeling again :p
Hey, no problem, man. My job is merely to remind. :p I figured (from your Human Assassin post) you were trying to get back into things, "build some steam" as you say, so I hope things like this can help. Let me know. :p

Hey guys! I'm thinking I may do stuff for this contest if/when I have time!

~~~

attachment.php

Hey, it's Retera! Man, you guys are almost joining faster than I can type.

I'm always impressed by your zany creativity and such. I actually have been hoping for a beefed-up Hydra model for a while now (one that can use modified Morph or Upgrade animations to incorporate a series of growing heads, just like the myth!), and this guy definitely looks like it. Tidal Guardian + Hydra + Royal Guard? Man.

Now, I must admit, though, I'm not sure about this model for this competition. Namely, the texture (as aforementioned) is really haphazard & clashy. I'm sure that can be fixed, though. What concerns me more is that he still seems to be like a "creep" to me; a more 'heroic' creep, sure, but not exactly a "Champion". Not exactly a character, with a (hi)story. Maybe if there was one particular face (modified Naga/TidalGuardian mashup?), and a singular name ("Kraken" or "Leviathan" or "Jormugund"), indicating a singular entity.

It's weird; nothing in the game that says dual/multiple entities can't be Heroes (i.e. Ogre Magi or something), but it just seems off to have a multi-headed Hydra. Definitely a T3-Ownage-Device for the Naga or Sea Creeps, but Hero?...

Thoughts?

Retera said:
Out of curiosity, what types of software do you guys use to make the stuff you make? Being a "I'll take this base wc3 model and mash it on that one there and then swirl them together" modeller myself, I feel a bit amazed by people like A.R. who can poof a sketch into a fully developed model.
Oh don't worry; I feel amazed, too. :p It's actually one of my favorite things to witness; the birth of art, transforming from one style to another.

That being said... Your method of "zany mashups" works well in many venues, and might even in this, but you may want to try your hand at a bit of scratch modeling (i.e. manipulating primitives or summat; lol, me talking like I know what I'm talking about :p). I would make a thread on the Modelling/Animation forum, as you'll probably get a lot of response to such a question that might be elucidating.

Jigrael's here?

Just as a quick 'frame of reference' you guys, in my Second Post I did a broad sketch of nearly every pertinent & awexome "hero-ified unit" model I could find... Jigrael makes up over one-third of that list.

Good luck. :p

~

Anyway, looking SUPER SEXY. I just can't get enough of you ridiculous "concept art -> model" dudes, and it appears your CA has really been enhanced beyond this.
*sigh* the memories...
Anyway. The crown is cool, the weapons are creative (how do you even do that anymore?!), the scale/fin colors are nifty, and the magic... aaaah.

Really, my only problem is that you FREAKIN MAKE TOO MANY NAGA :p. You do them so much and they're all so good... It's getting to the point where anyone making a custom Naga race will run out of room in the techtree before they run out of your models. xD

I think this is what Rising_Dusk was doing by teaming up with you in nearly every contest he could; squeezing some alternate ideas in there (skelly archer, that "myriad" skelly warrior... Ok, just a lot of skeletons. Still. :p)

Anyway, looking forward to it.

(Speaking of Naga, whatever happened to that nifty "Town Hall" model you were crafting?)

Whew... My browser hurts.

Serious question, ya'll... I'm noticing the BOATLOAD of contestants & such. Since the Hive seems really averse to re-doing contest ideas, and many of you seem to enjoy this particular one, is there any interest in splitting this contest into "Melee Races" (i.e. HU, OR, UD, NE) and "Neutral Races" (i.e. creeps, neutrals, Taverns, Naga, etc)? This contest would become one of the two (probably the former), and we'd save the other idea for later ('cuz there are several good ideas floating around).

Now obviously, those not doing "Melee Races" would be a bit shafted (unless we just kept on from where we are & made that standard "starting now"), but almost all of you were doing those races anyway... Thoughts? Exciting or Greedy? Tantalizing or Dumb? You be the judge. :p

//EDIT// Aww yeah, top of the page. Good timing, self. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the critique Krybi. Unfortunately, I can't really add anything else to the mesh right now because I already unwrapped the model. What I can do is move around the vertices and make it look more blocky and I can also take away some of the edges.
I don't see how the staff is to detailed though. It's only 200 triangles. I made sure to keep it low poly.
Also, the material and shading might have had something to do with how smooth it looked. Here is a picture of it with shading closer to warcraft 3.

2dFhmeQ.jpg

EDIT: I think I'm going to remake the mesh. It'll be a complete pain but I hope it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Level 20
@Kyrbio, Yeah, i based on the Gryphon Rider, but i'd like to make it into a Sphinx tho (Not an Undead Sphinx like Destroyer lol :p), anyway, im still thinking if i should turn it into a Griffin or keep it as it is rightnow. Here's my 2nd WIP of the mount, i'll finish the rider soon.

Attachments

• War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-23-29-00.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-23-29-00.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 268
  • War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-24-18-34.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-24-18-34.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 227
  • War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-24-39-81.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-24-39-81.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 225
  • War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-25-37-53.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-04 23-25-37-53.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 377

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
what.

those are all wips. you're overwhelming this contest with unecessary interventions...

Kyrbi0, stop being silly and start enjoying the view pls. :(

Hey now, it was only a suggestion. :< Thank you for your feedback.

@HappyCockroach: I'm not "unnecessarily intervention...ing"; merely making a suggestion. This would not affect this contest much (it could if people were made to change); merely provide another contest down the road.

@Deolrin: Hey, I know your stance; just looking to get a general consensus. Besides, "enjoy the view"? How isn't this "enjoying the view"? :D

Yeah the view is too tempting: i avoid making comments on the wips themselves since I'm judging, but meh. There's some nice material going on, can't wait to see the final results.
There are some really fine stuff coming out, I agree. :p

However, I'm curious; is it generally policy here on THW to note comment as a judge? These guys could definitely benefit from your expert advice.

@Kyrbi0 and @Rui,
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Here's my second WIP, mesh is nearly finished:

209577-albums5234-picture72775.png

Not a problem. Glad to see someone interested. :p Also, still looking good; I like the armored legs. What animations are you thinking (if not doing custom); Eredar Warlock mayhaps?

Thanks for the critique Krybi. Unfortunately, I can't really add anything else to the mesh right now because I already unwrapped the model. What I can do is move around the vertices and make it look more blocky and I can also take away some of the edges.
I don't see how the staff is to detailed though. It's only 200 triangles. I made sure to keep it low poly.
Also, the material and shading might have had something to do with how smooth it looked. Here is a picture of it with shading closer to warcraft 3.

2dFhmeQ.jpg

EDIT: I think I'm going to remake the mesh. It'll be a complete pain but I hope it will be worth it.
I'm not so much worried about "adding" anything as much as I am "removing" things; the "mushroom cape" was just a side-idea to give him back-presence. No, I'm more concerned about removing overall smooth detail & such; I don't know about shaders, but (and I hate to compare) did you see AR's 'uber-sorceress'? That thing has, like, 4 vertexes per section of cloth. Very blocky. Now, if you two are using very different modelling programs, then perhaps I'm comparing apples to oranges. But you get the idea.

(just saw your ninja-edit... Yeah, that might not be bad. You've certainly got plenty of time, and I think it'll be a big help. Keep what you've got for something else, though. Good luck. :p)

@Kyrbio, Yeah, i based on the Gryphon Rider, but i'd like to make it into a Sphinx tho (Not an Undead Sphinx like Destroyer lol :p), anyway, im still thinking if i should turn it into a Griffin or keep it as it is rightnow. Here's my 2nd WIP of the mount, i'll finish the rider soon.
Huh, interesting. (just as a sidenote: you don't have to keep it in the same race; it wouldn't have to be an "Undead" sphinx).

Well, while it's a stretch, I don't think I'm too averse to the idea of a Sphinx in Wc3... Gotta say, though, while I'm sure it's difficult to find, the Bear texture doesn't really scream "lion" to me. :p

That being said, I'm impressed with the relative clean-ness of the wrap; I was worried, looking at the mesh. Keep it up!

(What rides a Sphinx, I wonder? Certainly not a Dwarf...)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Me and AR are both using 3ds Max, but I don't have very much experiance with super low poly objects. The other problem is I am sort of "trained" to make things look very high poly without actually being very high poly. So even If I do start modeling with warcraft like polycounts it still might end up not fitting.
Oh.

Well, then this'll definitely be a new experience for you. :p But don't worry, you're not alone. I mean, take Jigrael; as much as I laud & love him, he's notorious for pushing the boundaries of "low enough polies". It can be done. Start with a box & keep stretching. :p

#actslikeheknowswhathe'stalkingabout

I don't think it's a matter of "heightened mane" or not, so much (for the record, I'd say "not that much", though). I'm sure you had more planned, because the mane is the least of your worries. To be honest, I'm a little biased; one of my favorite 'unit-to-hero' conversions is WhiteDeath's Werewolf, so I'm already implicitly judging what you've got based on that. As you can see, he took the "wolf" idea and enhanced it; bipedal, massive paws w/ sharp claws, big ruffley mane and powerful muscles, different snout/face, and cool runic arms.

So you'll be wanting to find ways to make more drastic and heroic changes to the base mesh (or starting from some scratch).

~

Now, you appear at this point to have moved on to another idea. That's cool, too. Let me know if you need any ideas.

I lost motivation for the wolf because features I made(like shaded ears, a beard, some spikes on the hand, etc.) refused to show up in the game when I tested. I think I'll create a hero footman instead.

Can I use hero models as a base?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I lost motivation for the wolf because features I made(like shaded ears, a beard, some spikes on the hand, etc.) refused to show up in the game when I tested. I think I'll create a hero footman instead.

Can I use hero models as a base?
Hm, that sounds troubling. Definitely hook up with another modeler (or perhaps post a thread in the Modeling/Animating forum) if you need help in the future. :p

To answer your question, of course you can use hero models as a base! You can use any danged model you want (or none; start from scratch). The Contest Header doesn't specify what you start from, so you are fine.

Using a Hero model helps since you don't have to make the Dissipate anim, or add hero glow and hope it's done right... The only issue with using a Hero is the same as using any Unit; making it look different enough from the original to be considered "unique" or "creative" (see First Post judging criteria).

That being said, a Footman is a rather nice choice, lots of directions to take it. You can create a "super-loyal soldier" akin to the Captain or Royal Guard... You can emphasize the warrior aspect in a "Human Gladiator" or "Windwarrior" or any kind of elite "Swordsman"... You can emphasize the "Defend" ability with a "Aegis Soldier" or "Shieldmaiden"... And remember, there's no need to keep the same Gender or Race (necessarily); an Elven Warrior-Woman fits just as well as a Dwarven Ironbreaker.

Good luck!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Retera said:
Who votes I make this instead of the Kraken?
~~~
Yeah, that's why I was working on that one in the upper-left of that last picture. It's a bit of a buggy model though >.<
Too much Matrix-Eater-ing and not enough precise care.
Huh. To be honest, my Lore-Alert (tm) is off the hook... How do Night Elves ride Lordaeron Bears? Unless it's actually a Druid of the Claw... Then eeeeeewwwww. :p

At first, I thought you were linking a picture of a WoW "bear priestess" (hence hi-poly), and then 5 shots of your Wc3-version of it. To which I would agree; needs more definition of the rider & such, more differentiation of bear (although the armor & tattoo are a good start).
If instead you are actually working on the top-left one as your submission... Well then it not only seems weird, but it looks out of place in Wc3 as well. Don't forget that part of the criteria. :p

I dunno, it's creative and only feasible with your revolutionary tool, which I can respect. But it just seems weird, and (as aforementioned, if the top-left) too advanced or too de-vanced.

Do you need some ideas? What's your favorite in-game unit? Or a hero (model) you've always wanted to make?

Astaroth Zion said:
Default races mechanic units need more love.

I am in with the Meat Tank (meat wagon hero)
I love you. :p

Totally an angle no one has gone with yet (though my Second Post details Deolrin & low_Kwaliti's "Hero Dwarven Siege Engine"...) I'm actually kinda keen on this; are you going to actually make it Mechanical like the Meat Wagon, or Organic & inspired thematically/aesthetically by the Meat Wagon? Or go all-crazy and make an "evil earth-elemental", made from the soil of a haunted graveyard, and studded with tombstones & meat-wagon claws.

Yeeeeaaaah. I'll just sit quietly and wait now. :p

I'm having some serious issues trying to pull off the look I had in mind in a warcraft low poly style. Now matter how hard I try I cannot get the face right. I'm starting to wonder If I should pick a different unit. I still want to do undead, but I just don't think I can pull this off the way that I want.

I think I might try the banshee. I have plenty of time, and I have never done something like a banshee before. Any thoughts?

The mesh. I decided to remake the model because it didn't seem to blend well enough with both warcraft 3 and the undead. The face just isn't working for me. I might try something different and more "scourge" but I think I'm going to give it a rest for a day or two. I almost never have any problems with the texture once I get the character's mesh nailed down.

EDIT: To be honest, now that I think about it, I'm not super interested in a banshee. I still want to do a necromancer but I need a few days to think about how to pull it off in the way I want.

That WoW-looking bear priestess is really just a couple of WC3 campaign menu screen models stitched together in the Matrix Eater with the animations of the other model pictured (which was made from typical wc3 models). I didn't fit the animations onto it too well, and I think I'd have to redo a lot of that model to make it look any good.

Anybody got any ideas for how to make a good Makrura hero? Heaven's Fall's Makrura hero is still using a default wc3 model, maybe I could make a Makrura hero if I get some good ideas.
But, the Matrix Eater requires good ideas to make good things happen.

Level 48
Retera, I think you should keep working on the WC3 version, but change more stuff. For one, you should probably make the night elf a bit smaller, because the bear looks tiny, considering proportions and such. Then, you should start working on General Frank-esque geomerging - replace her head, rewrap her body, add various parts like shoulderpads and more armor, change her weapon, add a saddle to the bear, add eye-glow, etc.

Level 20
Hmm... Maybe so.
In the mean time, just for a bit of fun, I tried to make BallisticTerrain's model with the Matrix Eater and made something interesting of a Necromancer...

He better has some cuts on his cape or a ruined cape i think? Hehe

This is my last WIP for the mount, removed all the messes at his neck-head and reduced the neck's length (I have tweaked its head and feets so it would be more lion-ish now lol).

Attachments

• War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-15-36-10.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-15-36-10.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 154
  • War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-15-57-67.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-15-57-67.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 188
  • War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-16-10-84.jpg
    War3ModelEditor 2013-08-07 15-16-10-84.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 167
He better has some cuts on his cape or a ruined cape i think? Hehe

This is my last WIP for the mount, removed all the messes at his neck-head and reduced the neck's length (I have tweaked its head and feets so it would be more lion-ish now lol).

Impressing model, Pretty good looking but the tail tip look a little weird, it need to look more like the one of a male lion I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.